• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston3000 said:
Alright!!

Thanks guys this did the trick perfectly, either that or I just wasn't as tired as I was last night. I beat him on the 3rd match. The trick was I just had to be much more strategic and less punishing. If I teleported and realized he was too far or if he blocked me I immediately would block to avoid his crazy charge attack. Before strategically escaping with some well times jumps and dashes. I didn't realize his uppercut did so much damage.

Another good trick, if you're lucky and you teleport in fast enough so you're right up behind him real close, the Down-Foward-BP Electrocute attack does a lot of damage and can be transitioned into some sick combos. It also has a relatively fast recovery time if you miss. I would often just Electrocute then immediately switch into a simple FK, FK, BK, combo which will fling him across the screen and do a good chunk of his health (its like 25% on normal enemies). I was even able to Superman into his body a couple of times afterwards for amazingsauce damage but I tried to play it safe for the most part. I could definitely see Raiden being quite the force though in a multiplayer match now after I learned a few of his tricks.

I'm currently on this part and after literally an hour I put it down for the night, such a frustrating fight. It's almost not worth teleporting in on the spears as if you don't do it right as he's throwing it he'll flip around and charge you. Often times even on the hammer throw I'll teleport and be a step behind him which is also frustrating.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Irish said:
I like to pretend MK-MK3 don't exist. Now what?

Most of the lore stuff in DA and D were pretty good.
Really? I've always felt the exact opposite and disliked most of what happened after Shao Kahn's defeat in MK3.

zero margin said:
I'm currently on this part and after literally an hour I put it down for the night, such a frustrating fight. It's almost not worth teleporting in on the spears as if you don't do it right as he's throwing it he'll flip around and charge you. Often times even on the hammer throw I'll teleport and be a step behind him which is also frustrating.
Jump towards him with a HP then hammer out FK, FK, BK, Back, Forward, FK. That's the most damage I was able to cause to him with a single combo sans X-Ray, it's a basically a high punch into the regular kick combo then catching him mid fall with superman. Speaking of X-Rays though don't just take the easy X-Ray attack when he's taunting, stick him in a combo first (like replace the superman with x-ray in the one I just mentioned).

Wish I could help more because I know how frustrating it is. I was surprised how well I did tonight after rage quitting last night and getting some sleep+work in.

Houston3000 said:
Jump towards him with a HP then hammer out FK, FK, BK, Back, Forward, FK. That's the most damage I was able to cause to him with a single combo sans X-Ray, it's a basically a high punch into the regular kick combo then catching him mid fall with superman. Speaking of X-Rays though don't just take the easy X-Ray attack when he's taunting, stick him in a combo first (like replace the superman with x-ray in the one I just mentioned).

Wish I could help more because I know how frustrating it is. I was surprised how well I did tonight after rage quitting last night and getting some sleep+work in.

Appreciate it, I will try this tomorrow. I've been just using the uppercut previously, will try that combo instead.

RedAssedApe

Banned
zero margin said:

Hmm...all I did in this fight was keep ducking spears until he would throw a hammer. Teleport and then superman. Recovery time on hammer is slower than the spear so he shouldn't be able to recover in time to block.

Mix in some lightning blasts after the knockdown and keep your distance so he'll start throwing stuff at you again. Rinse and repeat.

henhowc said:
Hmm...all I did in this fight was keep ducking spears until he would throw a hammer. Teleport and then superman. Recovery time on hammer is slower than the spear so he shouldn't be able to recover in time to block.

Mix in some lightning blasts after the knockdown and keep your distance so he'll start throwing stuff at you again. Rinse and repeat.
This works to some degree, probably 50% of my damage per round was from doing this.

Still, all too often after an uppercut you won't be able to back away enough to put him in projectile spam mode. He'll use charge instead, even double charge if you keep backing up. At that point you really have to know how to block well if you hope to actually get another attack in. At least enough to knock him back so you can continue your teleport+uppercut routine. If you block enough of his attacks in melee range he'll even try to throw the hammer point-blank giving you a good opportunity to teleport behind him.

So I picked up this game the other day from Toys R Us because they had it for $30. I have not really "played" fighting games before. I have played them, I've owned 2 soulcalibur games and played in the arcade but I have never learned moves, basically I just button mashed.

My question is, what is a good character to learn for a beginner? I've been playing as sub zero, but I'm really having a hard time stringing together combos or landing them at all.
Any tips or which character I should play as is greatly appreciated.

Unicorn

bucknuticus said:
So I picked up this game the other day from Toys R Us because they had it for $30. I have not really "played" fighting games before. I have played them, I've owned 2 soulcalibur games and played in the arcade but I have never learned moves, basically I just button mashed.

My question is, what is a good character to learn for a beginner? I've been playing as sub zero, but I'm really having a hard time stringing together combos or landing them at all.
Try johnny cage.

fernoca

lazybones18 said:
that is disappointing. I'll never have anybody to play that mode with
Online you can tell your friends to input the other half of the kombat kodes and can get similar matches. Rainbow Kombat, Headless, Armless...not all at the same time like in Test Your Luck, but still a nice diversion.

But yeah, offline with other people is a blast. XD

Just finished all the missions tonight, damn, nothing like the good ol' fashion jump and uppercut. :p

I think I took less than 10 tries I think for mission 300, after I got to
Shao Khan
consistently it only took me 2 tries (used Jax, and his ground pound + air throw completely owns
SK
). The
3 Goro
mission seemed a bit harder to me since I was forced to use a character I was not familiar with and did not discover that all I had to do was jump and uppercut back then.

Yeah... I was not going to censor those names, but did it anyway... just in case people go krazy. ;p

EDIT: Oh yeah, even though I already knew what the unlockable was for completing the last mission... I was still slightly underwhelmed at the end. I really wish it was something more.

bucknuticus said:

Don't jump into the Arcade Ladders yet and especially don't go online right away. Play through the short Tutorial and then play through Story Mode. It will introduce you to most of the characters, let you fight in progressively harder matches with them, and the story is really fun and engaging.

That's honestly the best advice.

Sub-Zero is really slow. Try Scorpion, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, maybe Sonya

W Hudson

bucknuticus said:

Combos in this game range from being all types of easy to being extremely difficult. Sub Zero doesn't have a ton of combo options like some other characters (well at least from what I have found), but I think his bread and butter combo is pretty solid. The key to this and most combos in the game is learning how to link the base moves into your special moves.

For Sub Zero, he has a super easy 3 hit dial-a-combo with BP, BP, BP. But you can drop the 3rd BP and hit your opponent with an Iceball instead, setting them up for further damage. After the Iceball freeze, a good way to finish is with his BP, FP, BK combo. So there's a 6 hit combo for you. Also, you can throw a slide into the end of the BP FP BK combo for another hit. In addition, you can begin the combo with a jump punch, then go into the BP BP starter, making a 8 hit combo (does around 35% damage I think).

So all told for Sub Zero your combo would be to jump forward, hit BP, BP, BP, ice ball, BP, FP, BK, then slide. He can do some other ones but I think that's a pretty good combo that's not too tough to pull off and does good damage.

This concept applies to most the characters in the game. For example, you can combo into things like Scorpion's spear, Kung Lao's spin, Cyrax's net, Ermac's lift, Reptile's force ball, and many other (what I would call) 'immobilization' specials, which leave your opponent unable to block and ready to be hit with a combo/juggle. This is the meat and potatoes of the combo system in this game. Just go in to the practice mode and screw around with this concept a bit, its very well designed and implemented, and not too hard to pick up.

Hope this helps.

So how exactly do the codes work for online play? I unlocked everything in the crypt. Do both people have to put in the right symbols for it to work? Is there a list of all the cheats anywhere?

notworksafe

Neuromancer said:
So how exactly do the codes work for online play? I unlocked everything in the crypt. Do both people have to put in the right symbols for it to work? Is there a list of all the cheats anywhere?
There is a list on TRMK or in the iPhone app (Android one too iirc).

And yeah both players have to hit the buttons. With online it's pretty much impossible to get someone to do it, even though all they have to do is copy what you do.

notworksafe said:
There is a list on TRMK or in the iPhone app (Android one too iirc).

And yeah both players have to hit the buttons. With online it's pretty much impossible to get someone to do it, even though all they have to do is copy what you do.
Hmm OK thanks. Well maybe with friends it'll be easier.

dagZ

help anyone?

i'm stuck at the part where you continuiously face undead fighters like jax, stryker, kabal, with only one raiden life. I keep dying on kabal. any help?

dagZ said:
help anyone?

i'm stuck at the part where you continuiously face undead fighters like jax, stryker, kabal, with only one raiden life. I keep dying on kabal. any help?
Keep retrying (don't quit manually) and it will eventually give you more health between fights. As for strategy, just try safe moves that can't be punished if blocked and learn a few rinse and repeat combos

DasRaven

dagZ said:
help anyone?

Persist is all I can suggest. If it helps, you get a break after every trio. That fight it the test of your skills compared to the next fight.

I'm sure it's already been linked to but this thread is pretty long, so can someone point me in the direction of a good combo guide for all the characters? Gracias.

malfcn

Jill Sandwich said:
Has anyone skipped challenges?

I went back and did a few. Only about half way done.
The one where you were under Quan Chi's spell, my buttons didn't work right. Had my gf do it, all she did was mash all the buttons at once and it worked. Fail.

zero margin said:
Shao Kahn beat. Took long enough.

Going to try the GAF-strategies tonight. I just got to him last night in story mode and put the controller down after about an hour. I just want to finish story mode so I can move on to the ladder stuff, actual fatalities and unlocking stuff in the krypt.

W Hudson

CartridgeBlower said:
I'm sure it's already been linked to but this thread is pretty long, so can someone point me in the direction of a good combo guide for all the characters? Gracias.

Tom Brady has made a lot of good guides for characters over on the Test Your Might forums, but he's only gotten about half of the characters so far. His guides have the most in depth combos that I've seen so far. Anything else that someone knows of would be great.

EDIT: beaten to the punch

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I made it to challenge 266 this morning. I haven't skipped any, and my sister is helping out with some of them. We are feeling pretty good about completing the tower today or tomorrow.

I skipped 260-something which was "let's rape Stryker with 3 Shao Kahns" for a bit. I just went back and finished it though. Next up on the annoying block "let's rape Ermac with 3 Goros".

GillianSeed79 said:
Going to try the GAF-strategies tonight. I just got to him last night in story mode and put the controller down after about an hour. I just want to finish story mode so I can move on to the ladder stuff, actual fatalities and unlocking stuff in the krypt.

teleport/uppercut is what did the trick for me, I tried doing combos but I would fat finger it half the time and then he makes you pay.

malfcn

Ermac's force grab is so stupid. You can keep spamming it and it seems to have high priority. Is there a good way around it?

Ok, does anyone think that a version of MK9 will show up at E3 next month, possibly updated with all of the DLC stuff added in? Next year for Project Cafe/NGP?

GrayFoxPL

Mr. E. Yis said:
Ok, does anyone think that a version of MK9 will show up at E3 next month, possibly updated with all of the DLC stuff added in? Next year for Project Cafe/NGP?

New project hopefully.

Mr. E. Yis said:

I think it could show up for NGP. Possibly Project cafe. But I doubt it will have anything new. If it does, DLC for PS3/360 will likely be announced along with that. Boon did tweet within the last day that DLC info would be coming soon.

ToyBroker

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
I think it could show up for NGP. Possibly Project cafe. But I doubt it will have anything new. If it does, DLC for PS3/360 will likely be announced along with that. Boon did tweet within the last day that DLC info would be coming soon.

Not only that, but there are hacked youtube videos out there already showing Skarlett and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom