• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arde5643

haunts said:
I think people saying the netcode is really bad are kind of blowing it out of proportion. It's not the best but totally playable. I feel its just as good if not better than mvc3s, even tho thats not saying much..

trying to find a match on the other hand is a pain in the ass.
I think private/player matches have some lag but still playable in average while KOTH range from totally unplayable to at best laggy enough to ruin even simple combos.

Khezu

haunts said:
I think people saying the netcode is really bad are kind of blowing it out of proportion. It's not the best but totally playable. I feel its just as good if not better than mvc3s, even tho thats not saying much..

I haven't bothered to use my own code yet, but I have played it at my two friends houses, they have the same internet provider, at ones house its totally playable, only a little of input lag and no random disconnects, but at the other guys house, its almost unplayable, constant dropping and terrible delay, like fighting underwater.

Something is up with there netcode.
On the positive, just the fact its playable at my friends gives me a bit of hope they patch it to a working state for everyone.

BTW, this is all 1v1 ranked, or private matches, KoTH is bad for both.

Arde5643

The Antitype said:
Playing with a Mad Catz Fightpad makes the game about 100,000 times better. Holy shit.
I'm pissed that MadCatz fightpad is so hard to find nowadays while you can find TE stick fucking anywhere.

Why can't they build top of the line gamepads for fighting games?

sleepykyo

haunts said:

Have you tried to punish or react to anything (throw breaking, ducking under projectiles) though? Your daily blow-up matches had a lot of dropped combos and punishes on both sides.
It was considerably different from the Starbase material.

Arde5643 said:
I'm pissed that MadCatz fightpad is so hard to find nowadays while you can find TE stick fucking anywhere.

I was just searching for them on eBay last night and there are a whole bunch of them listed for around $30 (brand new I think).

malfcn

Too be fair, not all disconnects could be the users. I have had people rage quit on me, and I get the loss *and* disconnect.

Rattles said:
Boons twitter :)

Not surprised at all. I remember in the Gamestop pre-order thread there was a big argument over MK's selling power with many thinking that it would come in rather low (compared to other expectations).

Rattles

GrayFoxPL said:
Wasn't there info that WB can't do a MK movie because Treshhold have the rights? WB could only do that web shit. Let's face it, it's shit.
The web series is shit but there is nothing wrong with the first movie.

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
Wasn't there info that WB can't do a MK movie because Treshhold have the rights? WB could only do that web shit. Let's face it, it's shit.
Well, the series has been doing quite well apparently.

And apparently the WB/Threshold thing was solved...let's see if I can dig up some links.

EDIT:
Darn, can't find the link(s). I even remember a relatively recent interview that apparently Kasanoff said he is making the movie, with WB..or some bullshit like that. :p

GrayFoxPL said:

That was the rumor but the Threshold lawsuit is over now (they lost). So they can definitely greenlight a movie now. It makes a lot of sense when you consider the success of the game and the web series.

I wouldn't expect a new MK fighter for a couple of years though. It sees like they plan on building a lot of DLC for this game while working on something else (Shaolin Monks sequel?).

GrayFoxPL

SolidSnakex said:
That was the rumor but the Threshold lawsuit is over now (they lost). So they can definitely greenlight a movie now. It makes a lot of sense when you consider the success of the game and the web series.

I wouldn't expect a new MK fighter for a couple of years though. It sees like they plan on building a lot of DLC for this game while working on something else (Shaolin Monks sequel?).

Oh shit. I would shit bricks if both companies would decide to make their own MK movie.

True popcorngif. stuff.

fernoca

Outcome of the original lawsuit:
February 24 said:
Warner Bros. has emerged victorious in a fight to the death over profits from the hit 1995 film Mortal Kombat. A Los Angeles judge has sided with the studio in its long-running battle with Lawrence Kasanoff, producer of the film based on the video game franchise.

Kasanoff, a co-founder and former executive at Lightstorm Entertainment, and his Threshold Entertainment sued Warners in 2008 claiming he was owed as much as $9.3 million in unpaid profit participations on the film, which grossed about $122 million at the worldwide boxoffice. But a December bench trial in front of Judge Ronald M. Sohigian resulted in an award to Kasanoff of only around $14,000 and a finding that Warners was the "prevailing party" and thus could be entitled to recover its costs associated with the case.

At a hearing earlier this week, the court found that the December ruling on the accounting issue rendered the rest of the case moot, so it was thrown out.

“We are very pleased that the court dismissed Threshold’s multi-million dollar claims," Warner Bros. tells THR in a statement. "This victory fully vindicates Warner’s position that it accounted to Threshold fairly, appropriately and according to the parties’ contract."
"Threshold will be appealing the ruling and the denial of a jury trial," says Kasanoff attorney Howard Miller of Girardi and Keese.

This week's ruling only covers an audit period of 2000-2004. Kasanoff filed a separate lawsuit over Kombat for the 2004-2008 period. That case is still pending but the first three years of the period were thrown out based on the statute of limitations. A third case filed by Kasanoff in bankruptcy court in 2009 targeted the sale of Midway Games to Warner Bros and its impact on his intellectual property rights in certain characters associated with the Kombat franchise. That case is still pending.

Still looking for the quote of Kasanoff saying (after that) he was working with WB now; probably some rumor someone posted which is why I can't find it anywhere. :p

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Outcome of the original lawsuit:

Still looking for the quote of Kasanoff saying he was working with WB now; probably some rumor someone posted which is why I can't find it anywhere. :p

Call be dumb like Baraka but I didn't get it. Does it say who has the rights to make next movies?

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
Call be dumb like Baraka but I didn't get it. Does it say who has the rights to make next movies?
Well, Baraka... :p
Nah, don't know. :p

I still looking for it, because I assumed things were solved after that Kasanoff-quote of him saying that he was making the movie with WB. But as I can't find it, that aside I haven't seen any other report about the fate of the MK movies.

Though, they managed to get the original movies out in Bluray in the US, so things are probably better.

EDIT:
Yep, no luck. Probably some BS rumor a few posted as truth.

fernoca

Teknoman said:
Whenever PSN goes back up, we should have a big King of the Hill GAF series. Also invite me to the Kombat chatroom :D
Yeah. I had a few pending invitations and even sent a few ones..but after that, no PSN, so don't remember who got what...aside the ones I said in the thread.

simtmb

Is the netcode really that bad?

What about a small lobby or even 1v1 with people from the same city and decent ADSL2+ connections?

fernoca

simtmb said:
Is the netcode really that bad?

What about a small lobby or even 1v1 with people from the same city and decent ADSL2+ connections?
It varies.
Is not perfect, but seems to depend on multiple factors. I've had no "unplayable matches", did had 2-3 really laggy matches that got better with time and 2-3 more with some kind of lag but still playable... out of the 60+ I played before PSN went down.

But others had too many problems across both platforms. So if you're able to (well, on Xbox Live at least) try a few matches, modes and see for yourself. If anything, it will be as good or as bad as other 3D fighters you might've tried. And if it's really bad, the team's working on improvements so keep an eye out for updates.

By the way, Gamestop is selling the Kollector's Edition for $79.99 till May 17.

Is there anywhere (non-Ebay) to get a PS3 PDP Tournament stick anywhere new for under $130? It sucks that only the Xbox 360 is being sold anywhere. The MK1 stick that comes out in the summer I guess is ok, but I don't want to wait, and these original ones look much better.

Arde5643 said:

i still have a street fighter one? hardly ever used it? you guys are saying i should bust it out for mortal kombat?

fernoca

Mr. E. Yis said:
Is there anywhere (non-Ebay) to get a PS3 PDP Tournament stick anywhere new for under $130? It sucks that only the Xbox 360 is being sold anywhere. The MK1 stick that comes out in the summer I guess is ok, but I don't want to wait, and these original ones look much better.
Well, you could always just get the one that includes the game for $150 and sell the game (Gamestop's giving like $25 for it). :p

R2D4

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
i still have a street fighter one? hardly ever used it? you guys are saying i should bust it out for mortal kombat?

I'm using my Marvel vs Capcom 2 TE stick. It's awesome. Fuck the D-pad. I have the PDP MK stick and can't use it. The buttons are too far apart. I don't know how it's even usable. I never played MK in the arcades.

Khezu

Yay, it looks like there not removing cyrax's bomb trap afterall, just making it easier to tech the command grab, those resets are probably going though, that's understandable.

I really do hope they try and buff sheeva and baraka, even just a little bit.

Khezu said:
Yay, it looks like there not removing cyrax's bomb trap afterall, just making it easier to tech the command grab, those resets are probably going though, that's understandable.

you have information about changes?

Khezu said:

Where are you getting this?

Khezu

DryEyeRelief said:
you have information about changes?

I just read it on TYM, brady posted in the thread about cyraxs trap.

ok so from what im hearing the bomb trap being basically free is a bug. you are supposed to have 10 frames to break is b1 throw but right now you only have 3 maybe 2 frames. its going to get fixed so now when a random net hits you will be able to break the throw 100% of the time.

however, breaking a naked b1 will be near impossible on reaction but you can basically mash d1s and beat everything cyrax has while still breaking b1 command throw. cyrax would have to jump over or 33 in close to stop d1 shit and then you can aa him or cross up his 33 etc.. so it becomes a mind game with strategy.

fernoca

Well, success! XD

njhEq.jpg

Came in around $30 after trading the (same) game and some other misc. things/credit I had. Bought the original game with Gamestop credit and a coupon, so ended paying for both around $40 in "real money". :p

The artbook's way better than I thought..longer and fatter...ehr..yeah, really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom