• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

From what I remember, and don't quote me on this!!! :p

d: down
u: up
l: left
r: right

1:
jMtFx.png
zvZxn.png
(Front Punch)
2:
jZayq.png
BwPiN.png
(Back Punch)
3:
plZ7G.png
CAKEg.png
(Front Kick)
4:
bXMbv.png
CW0m1.png
(Back Kick)​

But I know I'm probably uber-wrong, so.. :p

fernoca said:
Well, success! XD

njhEq.jpg

Came in around $30 after trading the (same) game and some other misc. things/credit I had. Bought the original game with Gamestop credit and a coupon, so ended paying for both around $40 in "real money". :p

The artbook's way better than I thought..longer and fatter...ehr..yeah, really cool!
i'm still gutted that the UK figure is cheap as shit compared to those book ends, how solid do those book ends feel when you hold them? do they flex at all?

fernoca

Diablohead said:
i'm still gutted that the UK figure is cheap as shit compared to those book ends, how solid do those book ends feel when you hold them? do they flex at all?
Don't flex, as for solid..well they do feel and look like it. Each weighs around..well, around the same of an Xbox 360 controller; slightly more. :p

Any streams going on right now? I've gotta think people are getting ready for the PDP tourney tomorrow... speaking of which, anyone know if the PDP tourney will be streamed?

fernoca said:
Well, you could always just get the one that includes the game for $150 and sell the game (Gamestop's giving like $25 for it). :p
Ya, where can I find that?? Not happening. Amazon totally screwed me on the tournament edition, even though I preordered it in december. UPS lost it. So they don't have any to give me a replacement and I can't use my $40 in Amazon gift cards anywhere else. NO stores, online or real, have the ps3 TE new.

fernoca said:
Don't flex, as for solid..well they do feel and look like it. Each weighs around..well, around the same of an Xbox 360 controller; slightly more. :p
oh my, yeah UK and euro got robbed BIG TIME, our model is hollow, bends and smells like that shitty kids toy rubber you get for squeezy bath toys, painted by a blind man too.

£50 :(

I'd have preferred no figure and a steelbook, boon.

Nikashi

Banned
So I bought the regular edition of this game yesterday. Fucking didn't even come with an online kode ><

I tried to take it back to EB Games but they wouldn't accept a trade-across in case I was scamming them, they would only swap discs. I sent an email to warner about it but jeez. I shouldn't even NEED a goddamn code to play online. At least I get the 48 hour free trial in the meantime but I hope Warner support gets back to me.

(Also EBGames was out of Scorpion codes but I knew that ahead of time at least).

I have the 360 version btw. Does anyone happen to have a 360 copy they aren't intending to go online for? :p

edit: Just to be clear I got a 100% factory sealed new copy, not used.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Nikashi said:
So I bought the regular edition of this game yesterday. Fucking didn't even come with an online kode ><

I tried to take it back to EB Games but they wouldn't accept a trade-across in case I was scamming them, they would only swap discs. I sent an email to warner about it but jeez. I shouldn't even NEED a goddamn code to play online. At least I get the 48 hour free trial in the meantime but I hope Warner support gets back to me.

(Also EBGames was out of Scorpion codes but I knew that ahead of time at least).

I have the 360 version btw. Does anyone happen to have a 360 copy they aren't intending to go online for? :p

Uh . . .

fernoca

National Tournament thread posted!

Mr. E. Yis said:
Ya, where can I find that?? Not happening. Amazon totally screwed me on the tournament edition, even though I preordered it in december. UPS lost it. So they don't have any to give me a replacement and I can't use my $40 in Amazon gift cards anywhere else. NO stores, online or real, have the ps3 TE new.
Darn, didn't knew about out problem with Amazon. Gamestop has some, though depends on the area.

Nikashi said:

That's really sucky. Call customer service and explain the situation.

Frankfurt

Banned
Have the game for 3 weeks now, have played it every day since, and I still have a LOT of stuff to unlock, do, see. I don't even mean the usual fighting game stuff, like learning new combos. I mean just straight-up content. Endings, hidden characters, fatalities, babalities, 70+ challenges.

And none of it is a chore to get through (unlike most of the extra stuff in DOA, SC, Tekken).

If it weren't for the ultra-soft cutscenes and Cyber-Sub's ending, this game would be pretty much perfect. Every character I play in Ladder is just more fun than the previous one, and the engine feels so solid.

Nikashi

Banned
fernoca said:
That's really sucky. Call customer service and explain the situation.

I sent an email, do they have a toll free number? All I have is my cell phone so I don't wanna get raped on airtime waiting on hold on long distance

fernoca

Diablohead said:
oh my, yeah UK and euro got robbed BIG TIME, our model is hollow, bends and smells like that shitty kids toy rubber you get for squeezy bath toys, painted by a blind man too.

£50 :(

I'd have preferred no figure and a steelbook, boon.
Took a few more pics, trying to get the "heavy felling"..but no luck. ;p
The best I can imagine.compare is if you have an Xbox 360 controller (or remember holding one) then each one weighs around that; so imagine holding a 360-controller on each hand. :p

Tried to flex the hands/heads and nope..quite sturdy. Though Scorpion's cloth and swords flex a little, probably because of those being thinner than the rest.

(crappy pics/bed incoming!)

A5xVT.jpg

vpMvc.jpg

I thought the artbook was going to be like those in the Assassin's Creed games, but it's around 105 pages and longer to the right.

Took a pic to compare the size to another things (PS3 controller and PS3-game case..the thing at the left is the slipcover which the artbook comes inside), and another showing how..fatty it looks. :p

vx6Vb.jpg

fgOcm.jpg

Really glad with the purchase, saved some money..guess better late than never. :p

TheHakku

Slamtastic said:
You can't select the training stage in versus.
The training stage also has classic music (select the arena using start in training mode). I have no idea what game it's from.

fernoca

Slamtastic said:
Random thing I just noticed:

You can't select the training stage in versus.
You ..can...?
Not in Fatality Training, Test You Luck.
But regular Versus Mode, Tag and Practice 9etc?)..just press the Triangle (PS3) or Y (360) and choose the stage. Press Start you have it play the classic music (when available).

Read the comment wrong, nevermind. ;p XD

Just checked and yep, you can. Is called: Challenge Tower. (Let me change the name also in the OT). Looking for the name of the classic music that plays in that stage when you choose the classic music.

EDIT: Can't find the same of the song. I know it sounds familiar, but also sounds like a remix of a few songs... :/

Nikashi said:
I sent an email, do they have a toll free number? All I have is my cell phone so I don't wanna get raped on airtime waiting on hold on long distance
Really weird situation. Let me check a sec.

You could always go back to the store and explain what happened all over again to another employee/supervisor.

EDIT: The toll free number is apparently: 1 (800) 883-8895 ; don't know if you tried that one as it's the only one in their site. If you're in the US at least. [(877) 442-6303 in canada]

There, two small updates to the OT:
[5/14] Added which arenas play classic music when chosen with 'start' (Arenas section)
[5/14] Corrected the names oftwo arenas: Laboratory to Flesh Pits and the Dojo to Challenge Tower. (Arenas section)

vocab

I just got the game like a week ago, and I'm digging, but I'm just annoyed by the random frame drops. I was fighting smoke on that stage where the blood pours all over the place, and he teleported right into it, and the game went into a crawl for a split second. There's other instances, but other than that, it's a fun game. Can't wait till were done with these old ass consoles.

Khezu

vocab said:
I just got the game like a week ago, and I'm digging, but I'm just annoyed by the random frame drops. I was fighting smoke on that stage where the blood pours all over the place, and he teleported right into it, and the game went into a crawl for a split second. There's other instances, but other than that, it's a fun game. Can't wait till were done with these old ass consoles.

Are you playing on a ps3 or xbox? I'm currently on xbox and haven't had that happen, and pit bottom is probably one of my most played stages.
I could be not noticing it though, I'll fiddle around with it later.

Spent some time with Sub Zero in training just now, it's been a while since I played the game but worked out some nice corner combos, nice change from whoring Ermac like I always do.

I do wish the online was up to scratch with lag, half of these moves I do are near impossible to string together with randoms online.

vocab

Khezu said:
Are you playing on a ps3 or xbox? I'm currently on xbox and haven't had that happen, and pit bottom is probably one of my most played stages.
I could be not noticing it though, I'll fiddle around with it later.

PS3. It's a UE3 engine game so it doesn't surprise me.

scoobs

vocab said:
PS3. It's a UE3 engine game so it doesn't surprise me.
there are 2 or 3 instances where the ps3 version slows down but its very rare thankfully. And the 2 i can think of are both during x-rays so it doesn't effect gameplay.

Casval said:
Curious, are you playing on a 360 or PS3?

I've played on both. I used the Mad Catz on the Xbox 360 version.

I have an SF TE stick, but none of the configs I tried ever felt natural or comfortable. It feels like the game was designed with a pad (or the MK LE Stick) in mind, to be honest.

Diablohead said:
Spent some time with Sub Zero in training just now, it's been a while since I played the game but worked out some nice corner combos, nice change from whoring Ermac like I always do.

I do wish the online was up to scratch with lag, half of these moves I do are near impossible to string together with randoms online.

Sub Zero has become my go-to guy in this game. At first I didn't like him because he felt slow, didn't have too many extended juggles. But he's so powerful, and you can make some damaging 6-hit combos with some basic attacks and some specials:

<-- X, Y, FREEZE, JUMP+UP+Y, Y, X, B, SUPER-SLIDE

For example. Easy, powerful, effective.

scoobs

I cant even imagine what NR was thinking when they made kung lao's move set. "oh lets make him the fastest character with a teleport that can be an overhead, kick or grab THEN lets give him a roll, then lets give him a downkick that covers half the screen THEN lets give him 5 different hat moves for every possible situation THEN lets give him the best combos you'll ever see anywhere on earth that do the most %dmg of any character!"

Raging.

scoobs said:
I cant even imagine what NR was thinking when they made kung lao's move set. "oh lets make him the fastest character with a teleport that can be an overhead, kick or grab THEN lets give him a roll, then lets give him a downkick that covers half the screen THEN lets give him 5 different hat moves for every possible situation THEN lets give him the best combos you'll ever see anywhere on earth that do the most %dmg of any character!"

Raging.

Ermac is the guy I have the most trouble facing.

But then I also like using him, so I can't complain to much. :D

fernoca

Slamtastic said:
That stage only appears in the stage select in training mode.

In versus it's not there on the select screen.
Yep, mixed a few things. :p
Made a note of that in the OT.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Challenge tower's theme is the same as Shang Tsung's throne room for those who don't know.
Awesome, thanks! knew it was from the first game! :p

vocab said:
Keep in mind that the game stays at a steady 60 frames per second, and only drops on purpose during X-Rays. On the PS3 version, there's some stuttering that gives the impression of the game dropping in frames; but it's just the installation process taking place behind scenes. Or at least that's what I was told. :p

If you keep having the same problems after a few days, then you might need to delete the installed data of the game.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just bought an xbox with reach and MORTAL KOMBAT. Also found a stick at the local gamestop for 40! Any xbl gaffers wanna battle let me know! xr0bertpauls0nx

mbmonk

It looks like ( I haven't 100% confirmed it ) the free 2 day online trail is tied to the PSN account not the PS3. Since the PSN store isn't up you can create a new PSN account and use the trail on that for 2 days. Then rinse and repeat until the store comes up.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
bumpkin said:
Good god... I would love the KOTH mode if it didn't freeze every other time (on 360). Ugh.
Just had that happen to me too. Everyone was talking still tho. Kinda weird.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Branson said:
The stores not up yet and I think it has to be before you can redeem codes and stuff.

guess that means ill be playing on xbox exclusively until the store comes back =(

OMG the lag. I couldn't even win a fucking match (except one which it didn't register). My timing was so fucked up. Glad I wasn't jonesing to play when PSN was down. Just figured I'd try it. May never again after tonight. Fuck.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
OMG the lag. I couldn't even win a fucking match (except one which it didn't register). My timing was so fucked up. Glad I wasn't jonesing to play when PSN was down. Just figured I'd try it. May never again after tonight. Fuck.
I think the lag is heavily dependent on the distance between players. I played a few randoms and the lag varied from kinda bad to awful, but when I did player matches against my friend in the same city as me there was zero lag whatsoever.

mbmonk

hmm... I can't login to the online mode. It says my internet connection is down. Anyone else having luck signing in to MK online? It could be due to the fact I am using the trail online pass.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
I think the lag is heavily dependent on the distance between players. I played a few randoms and the lag varied from kinda bad to awful, but when I did player matches against my friend in the same city as me there was zero lag whatsoever.
That'll be the only time I play this online. With my bro who lives a few towns away. Competitively, this is garbage. I hated fighting people with the same combo exploiting the lag. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom