• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 70 online matches I have to say that the netcode is terrible. If they want me to redeem an online pass they should offer something good in return.

My copy is going back to the store tomorrow.

Fortinbras said:
After 70 online matches I have to say that the netcode is terrible. If they want me to redeem an online pass they should offer something good in return.

Awesome. Most people would wait for the patch, but you're ahead of the curve!

GavinGT

Banned
I showed my friend MK, and he couldn't stop negatively comparing it to Soul Calibur. He kept mentioning how it would've been better if it was a 3-d fighter, like Soul Calibur. But when I pressed the issue, he couldn't come up with any reason why enabling a third axis of movement would add anything tangible to the gameplay. Sure, in Soul Caliber the 3-d aspect enables you to position yourself for ring-outs, but in the context of MK it would only really be useful for dodging attacks.

I think he was just secretly disappointed that it wasn't a totally button mashing-friendly game, as he basically refused to learn any of the moves.

Khezu

Fortinbras said:
What patch?

They said they were working on network issues for KoTH and ranked 1v1, and they were looking to patch it in the next couple of weeks. That was a bit ago.
I'm not sure what there doing now though, if the PSN being down is having any effect on it.

Even still, I wouldn't hold your breathe on them magically becoming as good as SSF4 online, maybe tekken 6 level though.

If you want to sell it you should, faster you do the more credit you will get, and you can always get it again if it doesn't suck down the road.

he couldn't come up with any reason why adding a third axis of movement would add anything tangible to the gameplay

3D movement would kinda make all the projectiles and teleports useless, completely breaking the game. Its one of the many reasons those 3D games sucked so much.

GavinGT

Banned
Khezu said:
3D movement would kinda make all the projectiles and teleports useless, completely breaking the game. Its one of the many reasons those 3D games sucked so much.

Oh I definitely brought up the last few games, and how 3-d basically ruined the MK formula (eh, Dark Alliance was alright, but it didn't feel much like an MK game).

GrayFoxPL

Khezu said:

I liked the 3d movement in last mk's. It felt smooth and intuitive. I don't think that was the reason the games didn't play so good. It's more about clunkiness of the system and lack of dynamics.

I'd want them to try such thing again but first they should focus on more then Scorpion being the most fun and developed character.

Fortinbras said:

If you used the online pass and the store takes it back, that's a dick move right there.

ezekial45 said:
Btw, it's probably been discussed to death by now, but the decision
to KILL OFF MOST OF THE ROSTER was extremely bold on their part. And given that they weren't revived after Shao Kahn's death, it pretty much means we'll have new blood or the new characters from MK4 > MKA in the next one.

Really, it certainly shakes the series up. I'm curious to see what they'll do next.
I think most of the dead will probably return, just working for Shinnok and Quan Chi, as he has their souls, and his ending indicates that he's getting all of these warriors' souls to increase the ranks of the Brotherhood of the Shadow, Shinnok's personal army. I really don't think they'll try to bank on mostly new characters again after the lukewarm response to most of the new characters post MK3.

strideramc

Green Mamba said:
I think most of the dead will probably return, just working for Shinnok and Quan Chi, as he has their souls, and his ending indicates that he's getting all of these warriors' souls to increase the ranks of the Brotherhood of the Shadow, Shinnok's personal army. I really don't think they'll try to bank on mostly new characters again after the lukewarm response to most of the new characters post MK3.

I agree with this. It might be centered around a few lone heroes taking on an army of "villians". That could actually be an interesting story, make it something in the vein of a 300esque story with a few against many.

.la1n

New roster of characters would completely defeat the purpose of rebooting the franchise in the first place.

sleepykyo

.la1n said:
New roster of characters would completely defeat the purpose of rebooting the franchise in the first place.

How so? The only thing that would really defeat the reboot is if they wholesale brought back the new characters without tweaking them. ie. Bo Chai Rai still vomits and Mo-Cap gets brought back

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The franchise reboot is as much about gameplay as storyline.

Boon had wanted to fix the gameplay for the last few iterations and starting over from scratch with the basic "Mortal Kombat" title was a good way to get people to see this as a fresh start.

Now that the reboot is a success, they can move forward as if the mistakes of the previous 3D games never happened.

.la1n

sleepykyo said:
How so? The only thing that would really defeat the reboot is if they wholesale brought back the new characters without tweaking them. ie. Bo Chai Rai still vomits and Mo-Cap gets brought back

Eh I assumed the appeal of this game was the same appeal it had to me being from the older generation, my favorite MK characters brought back in 3D on a 2D plane. MK4 onward is where they lost me (and I assume the majority of old school MK fans) so if they want to just run into the ground again then sure I see no reason to bring the useless characters introduced after UMK3.

/opinion

KevinCow

Banned
strideramc said:
I agree with this. It might be centered around a few lone heroes taking on an army of "villians". That could actually be an interesting story, make it something in the vein of a 300esque story with a few against many.

Though if we follow the original continuity, Scorpion, Ermac, and Cyrax are all gonna turn good. Plus new characters like Kenshi. So the good side won't be as small as it seems.

I'm really hoping they don't just bring back a bunch of MK4 and beyond characters in the next game. I think we should keep the core characters and either make new characters or new versions of MK1-3 characters (a la zombie Liu Kang for example). I really don't care to see the MK4 roster in MK10.

KevinCow

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I'm really hoping they don't just bring back a bunch of MK4 and beyond characters in the next game. I think we should keep the core characters and either make new characters or new versions of MK1-3 characters (a la zombie Liu Kang for example). I really don't care to see the MK4 roster in MK10.

I dunno, maybe they could redesign them to make them less lame. They did a pretty good job at that in this game with characters like Nightwolf and Stryker.

sleepykyo

.la1n said:
Eh I assumed the appeal of this game was the same appeal it had to me being from the older generation, my favorite MK characters brought back in 3D on a 2D plane. MK4 onward is where they lost me (and I assume the majority of old school MK fans) so if they want to just run into the ground again then sure I see no reason to bring the useless characters introduced after UMK3.

/opinion

I don't recall the MK4 characters being that unpopular or the MK3 characters outside of Kabal being popular. You touched upon the real issue between MK3 and MK4, the shift from a bridge (no sideways movement) to plane and other gameplay issues (weapons lol) turned off a lot of people.

scoobs

argh ive been spending all thsi time learning big combos and how to play my character correctly and my roommate just plays raiden and teleports > sweeps, leg kicks and grabs and electric fly and he wins a solid portion of our matches. Raiden is stupidly frustrating

KevinCow

Banned
sleepykyo said:
I don't recall the MK4 characters being that unpopular or the MK3 characters outside of Kabal being popular.

The robots, man. Everyone loved the robots. Because they were robots - but also ninjas.

zweifuss

GuessWho said:
did anyone bitch at boon for removing lui kang's bicycle kick gibberish? It's so weird not hearing it.

LOL I loved that shit, sounded like a chicken getting strangled or something. I completely forgot about it playing this new game, good call!

Khezu

The robots are pretty great.
Way better then the ninjas IMO.

MK3 characters were a bit hit or miss, kabal was alright, but a lot of his popularity comes from being broken in vanilla MK3, and eve toned down, he was the best character in UMK3.
No one really hates nightwolf, in fact most people tend to forget he exists. Most hate sheeva because they wanted goro, not fake female goro. Some hate stryker because he is lame, some love him because he was lame. Unmasked subs was a neat idea, but he was kinda ugly, and his outfit could have been way better, I really want a unmasked alt for him in 9.

Some of the 4+ characters are salvageable, mostly the ones that are not clones of older characters, or just really REALLY awful.
The more non ninja females the better IMO.

scoobs said:
argh ive been spending all thsi time learning big combos and how to play my character correctly and my roommate just plays raiden and teleports > sweeps, leg kicks and grabs and electric fly and he wins a solid portion of our matches. Raiden is stupidly frustrating
You can block low and negate just about all of that.

bumpkin

KevinCow said:
The robots, man. Everyone loved the robots. Because they were robots - but also ninjas.
*And* you could piss people off something fierce with Cyrax's bombs or Sektor's heat-seeking missiles. I was totally that guy. :D

GuessWho said:
did anyone bitch at boon for removing lui kang's bicycle kick gibberish? It's so weird not hearing it.

I think they should've used his whole MK2 sound library. Raiden's voice sounds like his MK2 self-- I wonder if they got the same voice actor to do it or if they are just using the MK2 sound files.

fernoca

GuessWho said:
I do remember some bitching, when his vignette trailer (here check around the 1-minute mark) was released some months ago, the video that had him using the "turkey gobble" noise ,and people were like "Ugh, old sounds?!! they used the same sound from MK3?! WTF!! They need to change that!! We're not n the 90s anymore!!"

Guess it's one of those "damned if you do and damned if you don't" kind of things. :p

Arde5643

scoobs said:
I expect Raiden to be nerfed pretty soon - his teleport, torpedo, and block strings are just too good and easy peasy right now.

Rattles

I don't know how people are winning with Kung lao. To me he feels so slow with input delay on top of it. And then the goddamn storymode forces you to play as him.. I hate playing as him!

Rattles said:
I don't know how people are winning with Kung lao. To me he feels so slow with input delay on top of it. And then the goddamn storymode forces you to play as him.. I hate playing as him!
..... He's easily one of the best characters. I'd put him up there with Scorpion as the top 2 easiest characters to use, too. That spin move messes people up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Khezu said:
Some hate Stryker because he is lame, some love him because he was lame.

I have to admit, Stryker is pretty awesome with his transformation in MK9. The asshole New York cop expression combined with the "POLICE BRUTALITY!" angle is awesome.

And his pistol looks and especially sounds like serious business. "Fuck your kung fu, have a bullet."

Rattles said:
Im happy to play as any other character but Kung Lao can stick his hat up his arse.

You can alternate between his two hat throws if you want to keep them at bay from a distance or teleport+grab or teleport+highpunch to wack them through their block. If in close, mash the two punch buttons for easy combo and do his spin attack to knock them up for easy air follow up that they can't block. Spin move also frees you out of a combo they are landing or catches them off guard often. Tossing them in the air=free hits.

sleepykyo

Rattles said:

Isn't everyone kind of slow in MK? Take it with a grain of salt, but his 2 is strangely faster than his 1.

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?4892-Kung-Lao-Frame-Data

I can't wait until someone goes through a does a frame data table comparable to SC2 ones or NRS releases it.

Also hat spin (d, f + 2) is amazing and easily one of the best anti-air moves in the game.

Raxus said:
Finally reached challenge 300. God help me.
Amazingly it's much easier than a few previous ones. Lose a few times so that it starts regnerating your health after defeating each person. You should then be able to have full or near full health after each fight if you play well. You can pick whoever you want for this mission so use your best character.

Rattles

Hmm bobble heads :D
XMoc1.jpg

CIeVn.jpg

3o245.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom