• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasmo

cpp_is_king said:
Why does it take so fucking long to queue an online match? I know that I'm not the only person in the entire world searching for a match right now, shouldn't it be basically instantaneous?
I feel like I should make a thread for this but you HAVE to join a chat room aka JOIN ROOM. From there you can easily send requests to anyone in the room, and they are all pretty local and fairly smooth.

Ranked and Player matches just DON'T work well but chat room is good!

fernoca said:
By the way, now that the PSN is back...well, to some..and not fully (people that haven't redeemed the online pass still need to wait for the Store); remember to pop by the Kommunity Thread.

It's quite empty and there's no food..plus it's mostly guys; but still fun. :p

Also better to post problems, bugs, glitches, etc. there..easier to keep track and to update the thread and everyone.

Reposting for the new page.

fernoca

Professor Beef said:
Reposting for the new page.
Thanks. :)

Also yeah, keep in mind that PSN is still kinda wonky. I barely had any problems with lag before it was shut down and yesterday/today, out of 10 matches 5 were really laggy, and couldn't get into the servers 2 times....and then PSN was shut down again for maintenance.

junkster said:
I feel like I should make a thread for this but you HAVE to join a chat room aka JOIN ROOM. From there you can easily send requests to anyone in the room, and they are all pretty local and fairly smooth.

Ranked and Player matches just DON'T work well but chat room is good!

Yea but I wanted some of the ranked trophies. :(

Lingitiz

schennmu said:
So... In term of netcode. Should I go with Xbox or PS3?
I can't say for PSN but the Xbox side is seeming to improve bit by bit. Most matches seem to be a bit lighter on lag than it was in the previous weeks. It could just be me though...

fuck yeah 58% corner combo with sub-zero, 53% from frozen using X-ray

sogood.gif

I only just learned that you can ice slide coming out of his X-ray and it counts in the combo, you have to time it just right however.

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
Yep. Is a card-code similar to the costume codes. Well, in the US at least.

The Kombat Pass is the code to unlock online multiplayer..

It's there. Pheew!

I didn't notice among the 50 pieces of paper they've thrown in the game box.

chogidogs said:
Online is horrible! I can't even get passed the character select screen. What a fucking joke.
unless you play against somene within about 60 miles of you on a good connection you will lag, every time even if it's only a little bit, dropping combos left and right while teleport spammer can win the day thanks to delays in blocking and reactions.

The upcoming patch is suppose to help these issues a lot but i'm not expecting SF4 netcode anytime soon for this game, a real shame.

Use scorpion online, his entire move set seems to be designed to troll laggy matches, instant hellfire, quick teleport punch and his spear has a huge hitbox even if they are trying to jump it.

Xater

chogidogs said:
Online is horrible! I can't even get passed the character select screen. What a fucking joke.

The netcode is a real bummer. I had not a single game so far where I thought this was even close to offline performance. I don#t know if I even want to punch in that online code once PSN goes back up. I know a patch is coming but so was for Tekken 6 which I still could not enjoy online.

Wow, what disappointing online play. As someone who has this game on PS3 I was eagerly anticipating getting online but the lag is absolutely terrible. I matched up with one guy I was actually able to play with, who wasn't absolutely completely bullshit laggy, but it was still an ordeal in frustration. Too many times one or both of us would be twitching on the side of the screen, trying to pull off a simple move that wouldn't activate because of the lag.

Is there a way to tell where someone location is before challenging them? The connection indicator is obviously useless, I haven't even seen a player who was anything other than full green.

Houston3000 said:
Wow, what disappointing online play. As someone who has this game on PS3 I was eagerly anticipating getting online but the lag is absolutely terrible. I matched up with one guy I was actually able to play with, who wasn't absolutely completely bullshit laggy, but it was still an ordeal in frustration. Too many times one or both of us would be twitching on the side of the screen, trying to pull off a simple move that wouldn't activate because of the lag.

Is there a way to tell where someone location is before challenging them? The connection indicator is obviously useless, I haven't even seen a player who was anything other than full green.
Best way for me is to join a room which sounds like a local area (england, for example) and then find someone, ignore the ping and press A/X on them, let that pop up screen sit for about 10 seconds and the ping will update, usually this is the true ping feedback.

Why are PS3 players expecting great online performance with PSN JUST coming back online? Netherrealm can't work on something that wasn't available for almost a month.

Lothars

Criminal Upper said:
Why are PS3 players expecting great online performance with PSN JUST coming back online? Netherrealm can't work on something that wasn't available for almost a month.

Well to be fair Netherrealm hasn't really done much on 360 as well and it's still laggy and hard to play online.

Hex

Banned
Rattles said:
Based on netcode.... neither.

Ignore this.
Nether is going to be patching it up soon, and when one of their designers was asked about it directly he said it is a dramatic improvement.

Hex

Banned
Criminal Upper said:

Because the problems in the code are not really a mystery and the problems really do not care about your system preference.
The next patch will be a start and then it will continue to be something that is fine tuned.

Lothars

Hex said:
Ignore this.
Nether is going to be patching it up soon, and when one of their designers was asked about it directly he said it is a dramatic improvement.

I'll believe it when I see it but so far I don't have any faith in them to actually fix it.

If they can make it so fast inputs do not get dropped so I can actually combo online it will help, if they can do something to remove the press>respond time I will love this game forever, that's the worst part.

KotH improvements need to be done too, seems to use more bandwidth since it has to send info to the other fighter and then to the spectators, maybe they can delay the package sent to the spectators so the fight stays quick and crisp.

Kinda pathetic that SSFIV has somehow become the golden standard for netcode after Marvel and MK. I guess I'll wait for the patch.

Sinatar said:
Why would it be different?

SSFIV is better on LIVE, but I want to get MK on PS3 for obvious reasons.

nexen

I haven't played it online yet but single player Mortal Kombat is the best MK game I've played ever. It is absolutely fantastically addictive.
I really hope more devs copy the story mode. I've been wanting this for years. So awesomely cheesy.

sleepykyo

schennmu said:
Kinda pathetic that SSFIV has somehow become the golden standard for netcode after Marvel and MK. I guess I'll wait for the patch.

SSFIV is better on LIVE, but I want to get MK on PS3 for obvious reasons.

SSF4 netcode over Blazblue?

Lothars

sleepykyo said:
SSF4 netcode over Blazblue?

Blazblue netcode should be the standard but I think because I don't believe it sold that well, I just wish companies would take a lesson about how good that netcode is.

Lothars said:
Blazblue netcode should be the standard but I think because I don't believe it sold that well, I just wish companies would take a lesson about how good that netcode is.

Blazblue the tragic story has:
-a full fledged story mode
-a separate arcade ladder
-a bunch of challenges
-a gallery for all your unlockables
-the correct button configuration that every fighting game should use
-the best netplay on the market, with the best online lobby system (communication while waiting in line, being able to skip your turn, spectator mode and the ability to make comments on the match, not just a score)
-replays for online play
-other extra modes like legion and score attack
-a fully detailed tutorial for beginners, intermediate and advanced players, and a separate strategy section for every single character
-a training mode that you can actually use for more than practicing combos, unlike this game
-

content, blah, blah, blah. blazblue had it all, hit it out of the ballpark and it still didn't sell.

DryEyeRelief said:
Blazblue the tragic story has:
-a full fledged story mode
-a separate arcade later
-a bunch of challenges
-a gallery
-the correct button configuration that every fighting game should use
-the best netplay on the market
-a fully detailed tutorial for beginners, intermediate and advanced players, and a separate strategy section for every single character
-a training mode that you can actually use for more than practicing combos, unlike this game

content, blah, blah, blah. blazblue had it all, hit it out of the ballpark and it still didn't sell.
Because its ANIMMEEEEEEEE

I only really compare netcode to SF4 as I own it on pc and Super on my 360, both have been near flawless online for me with randoms, the odd hickup but that is usually because I played with someone half way around the globe or someone was obviously using bittorrent or something.

Playing offline ladder damn, cpu can really pull off moves in 1 frame if you watch for them, they can instantly block or superman after you teleport without a problem, a human would either have a delay or press the wrong direction due to teleporting, this to me is what makes the cpu annoying to me.

I swear I saw the cpu change raidens superman direction mid flight, I was WTF.

ToyBroker

Banned
Diablohead said:
I only really compare netcode to SF4 as I own it on pc and Super on my 360, both have been near flawless online for me with randoms, the odd hickup but that is usually because I played with someone half way around the globe or someone was obviously using bittorrent or something.

Playing offline ladder damn, cpu can really pull off moves in 1 frame if you watch for them, they can instantly block or superman after you teleport without a problem, a human would either have a delay or press the wrong direction due to teleporting, this to me is what makes the cpu annoying to me.

I swear I saw the cpu change raidens superman direction mid flight, I was WTF.

Well, yeah.

The offline CPU in this game is unbelievably cheap.

As for me, Raiden is still my main, but after watching that MK9 tournament and seeing that amazing Ermac, I might check him out.

Raiden is just too awesome though.

Plus Ermac would be tough to manage online as his main combo is heavily timing based--lag and all.

Atruvius

Today I played about 10 matches against a guy on my friends list. Lag wasn't too bad, but i could notice it that controls didn't feel at all as smooth as in offline. We live in the same country so the lag must be much worse against foreigners.

What's the difference between normal and tournament mode?

Anyanka

Tournament mode disables the Toasty bonus, objects in the foreground and the first hit meter bonus. I'm glad nobody is using it. The first two are a non-issue and the first hit bonus is cool.

DasRaven

Atruvius said:
Today I played about 10 matches against a guy on my friends list. Lag wasn't too bad, but i could notice it that controls didn't feel at all as smooth as in offline. We live in the same country so the lag must be much worse against foreigners.

What's the difference between normal and tournament mode?

*No Toasty (and associated bonus)
*No First hit meter bonus
*No stage foreground objects

They really should add to it:
-Test Your Luck style finishes (flash at final hit, basic win pose, no Finish Him/Her stagger)
-Mirror matches auto select alternate costumes (the alt colors are not different enough for many characters)
-Make it a toggle in options rather than a Kombat Kode.

Can someone give me an example of foreground objects in a particular stage? I can't think of anything that interferes with a fight in any stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom