• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jns

ColonialRaptor said:
Ordered my import copy to Australia today from ozgameshop... should be here in two weeks, hopefully customs doesn't get it.

Any Aussies had trouble with customs yet?
Mine came in from Amazon yesterday, no problems.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:
I know that Dry :)p) and a few others say that I'm too condescending when it comes to MK, but even haunts and a few others have said that while the netcode is not perfect, is not the worst out there ever.

Plus on PSN:
1. PSN was having problems before April 19, to then being shutdown in April 20/21.
2. PSN just recently came back and it still manages to get shutdown here and there for maintenance, so things are not that perfect.

That the netcode is relatively bad depending on many things yeah; I mean I didn't had many problems back then and had a few lag matches yesterday. Just came back from 5 KOTH matches and no lag..and was really owned by an awesome Ermac too. XD

But it is not the worst netcode ever, neither better than older games..which sucks too. :p

And what is worse than it? Also I even quantified it a worst fighter and I've. Maybe the 360 version that Haunts plays on is less awful or something, seeing as Unreal is just better on 360.

Blazblue CT (PS3)? Hell no, best performance I've seen online for fighter
Virtua Fighter (360)?
SSF4 (PS3)?
Blood Rebellion (PS3)?
SC4 (PS3 and 360)? Does have relatively accurate indicators. just stick to 4 and 5 bar.
MVC3 (PS3)? While, I gotten matches as bad as MK9, I've gotten some that were only as bad as a 3 bar SC4.
DR (PS3)? 2 way tie, if the indicators were as trust worthy as SC4, I'd probably put it above MVC3 and MK9 though.

Actually to be fair the "so bad that SCEE rejected it for half a year" HDR was arguably worse than MK9. There I take back the worst ever. :p

edit: Out of morbid curiosity which fighting did you play with worse netcode than MK9?

fernoca

sleepykyo said:
edit: Out of morbid curiosity which fighting did you play with worse netcode than MK9?
At least on my connection:
-Tekken Dark Resurrection
-Dead or Alive 4 (at launch)
-Tekken 6 (before patch)
-Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (worst ever actually :p)

This MK at least as far as how it goes and works on my connection, I'd put it around the same of Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter IV. Super Street Fighter IV, Blazblue are still better.

Virtua Fighter 5 and Battle Fantasia were decent, though quite empty online. So the few matches I played were 50/50 (good/lag-fest) , and never finding a match.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Personally I had no problems importing MK9 into Australia. 2 friends decided to import after playing it at my house and they too had no problems receiving the game. Don't worry about it sir, you will receive your game and be ripping people apart in no time.

P.S Performing a babality on Kano is hillarious. Lui Kangs is good too!

lazybones18 said:
Tips for Challenge 251, cause it's pissing me off to no end

Baraka is being a stubborn bastard

Baraka is fucking hard there. Protip which I take all personal credit for, it took me a long time before I figured this out.

ONLY GRAB HIM. You can beat the entire fight with nothing but block and R1 to grab. Generally, you will end the fight with a ton of health this way, over 90% of the time I would pass Baraka with 100% health this wya.

simtmb

Region locking online, sigh, so horrible. They stated it was locked by region, play it in one area, then you can only vs players in the same area. That's basically what NRS said when asked about it.

I didn't think that meant, "the online is locked based on disc region"

I guess I'll buy a 2nd copy then -_-..

paul187

fernoca said:
This MK at least as far as how it goes and works on my connection, I'd put it around the same of Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter IV. Super Street Fighter IV, Blazblue are still better.

SFIV and SSFIV share the same netcode.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't know about better or worse netcode, but it always have noticeable lag. Sometimes it is a lot, some times it is a little, but you never feel like there is no lag.
I know evey fighting game has lag, but I can play SSF4 and MvC3 *as if* there is no lag; meaning that the same combos and strats work as when offline (specially since I'm a scrub and don't do anything too fancy). On MK, there are some juggles I take off the list because of lag.

paul187 said:

Is it really? Wow. I always felt SSF4 being better than SF4.

lazybones18 said:

You can grab Baraka and Sindel for pretty much their whole lives. Just time it correctly before they wake up and you should be golden. For Shao Kahn, keep your distance just spam that fire skull. When he throws the hammer, jump over it. When he rushes you, quickly jump over him and uppercut and then proceed to spam that skull again. His shoulder rush can be relentless at times, so it'll take a lot of attempts until you can nail down the system. I found 251 to be much harder than 300.

fernoca

paul187 said:
Didn't meant it as "different" though re-reading the question, it was about netcode, but just to say which ran better in those cases back then. Though forgot to add that SFIV was PS3 while SSFIV was 360.

Man, I really like this game a lot, and it's great to finally be able to play online again...but damn, I'm tired of waiting 5 minutes or more to find a match...and then when I do finally get in one it's so damn laggy that it's like playing a slow-motion slideshow. I wish I had some real life friends who played this.

I tried to get a match in before work tonight. I had 10 minutes before I had to leave, so I figured that'd be enough time for one match. But I just sat there for 10 minutes waiting to find a match... that's pretty sad.

Going to try and record my 61% midscreen sub combo again, see if the xbox will record all my input this morning lol

ArachosiA 78 said:
Man, I really like this game a lot, and it's great to finally be able to play online again...but damn, I'm tired of waiting 5 minutes or more to find a match...and then when I do finally get in one it's so damn laggy that it's like playing a slow-motion slideshow. I wish I had some real life friends who played this.

I tried to get a match in before work tonight. I had 10 minutes before I had to leave, so I figured that'd be enough time for one match. But I just sat there for 10 minutes waiting to find a match... that's pretty sad.
Try joining a room with a name close to your location aka USA or England, then play the people in that room only, works well enough but still not perfect.

KotH matches always lag, avoid them if you want serious play.

Xevren

It's best to just pretend that the Ranked/Player match option just doesn't exist. Just join a room and play 1v1's, anything else is immensely laggy. It will still be a bit laggy, but at least somewhat playable.

Diablohead said:
Going to try and record my 61% midscreen sub combo again, see if the xbox will record all my input this morning lol

Try joining a room with a name close to your location aka USA or England, then play the people in that room only, works well enough but still not perfect.

KotH matches always lag, avoid them if you want serious play.

Thanks for the tips...I'll try this next time I play.

Getting a bit angry with online, scorpion is too good when it comes to reaction times online, annoying the shit out of me since he has a move for every occasion including a teleport, ugh.

Doesn't help that everyone uses him online too, uuugh this game.

He needs a hellfire nurf or longer penalty on miss, his spear can hit your toe and grab you like you stood there, that needs to be smaller.

Sub needs either his mkvdc teleport back or some other method then slide to cross the screen, even jax has a quick moving skill which is safe on miss

Obviously kung lao needs his spin nurfed a little, maybe a longer delay on miss then it currently is, his jumping dive kicks are abusive beyond stupid, his teleport is ok as it can be crouched.

Raiden's teleport needs a little longer pause before he can do a move, right now that shit is super fast and safe most of the time, his superman isn't too bad but i'd be happy to see a percent or two taken away from it's damage delt, the rest of his moves feel good.

Ermac seems to feel balanced as most of his moves have a long delay on miss, like force push and levitation, he feels like a grapple character imo.

Liu Kang feels balanced too, I have no problem with him

Jax is good, fast powerhouse with unblockable ground pound forcing them to jump, some of his combos are strong and his x-ray is safe most of the time.

Eh, i'm just fed up with scorpions online dominating, hellfire mostly as you can't just defend without jumping, resulting in teleport punch or spear 90% of the time :/

Lumine

Game finally arrived today. About 3 weeks late. Enjoying it so far, but why the hell is there no simple versus cpu mode? I just want to play around a bit with the different characters. It's annoying they forgot about this. Hopefully they'll patch it in, though I'm not getting my hopes up. :p

I'm currently at the
Lui Kang vs Scorpion & Quan Chi
fight in story mode. Difficulty suddenly takes quite a few steps up, I haven't been able to beat them yet. Not that I mind, it's been a breeze up until that point.

Anyanka

There is nothing wrong with Scorpion's hellfire or spear. The hellfire is just an ok ground pound. It does like no damage. The spear deserves a big hitbox, it has the worst recovery ever. Sub-Zero DEFINITELY doesn't need a teleport or way to travel the screen safely. NRS should not balance this game based on low level online play.

Yuripaw

Banned
Another new week of updates on XBL, and another week of disappointment from lack of MK dlc :( NetherRealm, shut up and take my money already!

fernoca

Test your Luck is also a good alternative for "the lack of single player versus mode".

Yuripaw said:
Another new week of updates on XBL, and another week of disappointment from lack of MK dlc :( NetherRealm, shut up and take my money already!
They said during the weekend that it will be later this month. :p
Probably close to when the PS Store is released, though they also said that DLC wasn't going to be delayed because of the PSN-downtime.

So I am mainly a Soul Calibur guy and doing my best to bring any skills to the MK table.
My whole thing and question is.. Is MK all about ridiculous air juggles? It seems pretty cheap that I can get stuck in air juggles that I can do nothing about without 2bars.

And I know the combos are difficult to pull off. I main Kitana and am really close to completing one of her main combos so I do have respect for people that can pull them off. But it just doesn't seem as competitive as say a Soul Calibur.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Xater

diamondstar said:
So I am mainly a Soul Calibur guy and doing my best to bring any skills to the MK table.
My whole thing and question is.. Is MK all about ridiculous air juggles? It seems pretty cheap that I can get stuck in air juggles that I can do nothing about without 2bars.

And I know the combos are difficult to pull off. I main Kitana and am really close to completing one of her main combos so I do have respect for people that can pull them off. But it just doesn't seem as competitive as say a Soul Calibur.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong. This is why people like Mike Ross call MK9 or MvC3 1 player games. You basically find your in and then you better finish a big combo. It's usually also not my thing but Mk is just too much fun.

fernoca

What Xater said, plus try approaching this game just as if you were playing a new game, rather than trying to adapt Soulcalibur (or any other fighter)-skills into it. Same way you can't approach this game the way one can approach a game like..Street Fighter or Tekken.

Example, jump+air kick in a Street Fighter game just do damage so you add those to your combos (jump+kick + punch + shoryuken..or something like that), while in MK it sends the character to the air, opening for juggles/combos and teleports (jump + kick + teleport/juggle + slide..or something like that :p).

slade

lazybones18 said:

Wait till you get to the three Goro's.

For this fight though, it helps a lot if you know how to use Shang Tsungs Ex fireballs. Specifically the ground ones.

Xater said:
You are not wrong. This is why people like Mike Ross call MK9 or MvC3 1 player games. You basically find your in and then you better finish a big combo. It's usually also not my thing but Mk is just too much fun.

I admit it is a fun game but I just miss the pary that Soul Calibur offers. For MK it seems I can do little to punish a high blocking button masher. At least in SC there are plenty of low moves that are deceiving, side steps and pary. In MK it seems you can easily get stuck in a PPP combo with little to counter. Could be just a match-up issue. Maybe Kitana is low-tier.. I'm not sure yet.

I will play some more but I'm just pointing out my experiences with about 50 matches.

fernoca said:
What Xater said, plus try approaching this game just as if you were playing a new game, rather than trying to adapt Soulcalibur (or any other fighter)-skills into it. Same way you can't approach this game the way one can approach a game like..Street Fighter or Tekken.

Example, jump+air kick in a Street Fighter game just do damage so you add those to your combos (jump+kick + punch + shoryuken..or something like that), while in MK it sends the character to the air, opening for juggles/combos and teleports (jump + kick + teleport/juggle + slide..or something like that :p).

I understand what you are saying I just may not be a fan of the top tier gameplay. That is where we all strive to be and while sure the combos look cool and are difficult to pull off, I think I prefer the chess match and deception of SC.

I also may not be a fan of the "dial-a-combo" system. Just feels like lag to me. Again cool fun game and I had some good matches with a great Kitana player last night. I just don't think I will hold it as high as I originally thought.

Atruvius

I just tried to get 3 online trophies with a bloke I met in ranked match. We tried to get win 3 times in a row, no jumping and 10% health trophy. Neither of us got the trophies even though we were playing ranked match. :(

fernoca

Atruvius said:
I just tried to get 3 online trophies with a bloke I met in ranked match. We tried to get win 3 times in a row, no jumping and 10% health trophy. Neither of us got the trophies even though we were playing ranked match. :(
Hmm, how actually?
As far as I've seen; Ranked Match it's also random so the possibilities of ending with the same player are really low unless there's noone else playing. And both players are sent to the Online Menu after the match ends, so is not like you both can rematch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
diamondstar said:
I understand what you are saying I just may not be a fan of the top tier gameplay. That is where we all strive to be and while sure the combos look cool and are difficult to pull off, I think I prefer the chess match and deception of SC.

I also may not be a fan of the "dial-a-combo" system. Just feels like lag to me. Again cool fun game and I had some good matches with a great Kitana player last night. I just don't think I will hold it as high as I originally thought.
High level SC play is broken in its own ways. If the MK tourney results are any indication, 2D fighting fundamentals still win out in the end.

Azuran

Banned
Man, Kano is an awesome character. Awesome projectile and great anti-air. Combos are easy to perform due to the fact that he lacks damaging ones. It's too bad his lacks any sort of mixups and it's really hard to open someone up. I also tend to screw up when inputting his cannonball during combos.

Diablohead said:
Getting a bit angry with online, scorpion is too good when it comes to reaction times online, annoying the shit out of me since he has a move for every occasion including a teleport, ugh.

Doesn't help that everyone uses him online too, uuugh this game.

He needs a hellfire nurf or longer penalty on miss, his spear can hit your toe and grab you like you stood there, that needs to be smaller.

Sub needs either his mkvdc teleport back or some other method then slide to cross the screen, even jax has a quick moving skill which is safe on miss

Obviously kung lao needs his spin nurfed a little, maybe a longer delay on miss then it currently is, his jumping dive kicks are abusive beyond stupid, his teleport is ok as it can be crouched.

Raiden's teleport needs a little longer pause before he can do a move, right now that shit is super fast and safe most of the time, his superman isn't too bad but i'd be happy to see a percent or two taken away from it's damage delt, the rest of his moves feel good.

Ermac seems to feel balanced as most of his moves have a long delay on miss, like force push and levitation, he feels like a grapple character imo.

Liu Kang feels balanced too, I have no problem with him

Jax is good, fast powerhouse with unblockable ground pound forcing them to jump, some of his combos are strong and his x-ray is safe most of the time.

Eh, i'm just fed up with scorpions online dominating, hellfire mostly as you can't just defend without jumping, resulting in teleport punch or spear 90% of the time :/
Sub Zero is top tier with a good player. Theres no way they are going to make him more powerful when the best player in the tourney scene has pretty much destroyed everyone including Justin Wong using him. You just need to learn how to zone with him.

A lot of your list just seems to be things that can be countered easily and usually aren't problems in the hands of skilled players. Only legit complaints right now to me are Cyrax, Ermac and Kung Lao being too good (albeit we haven't seen them at a high level with the latest balance update) or characters like Baraka and Jax not being good enough.

Also, yes netcode does need to be fixed to react against faster characters, but thats a netcode issue and not a gameplay balance issue. Its basically down to whether or not they have enough memory in the gameplay engine to be able to do GGPO style rollback based netcode.

GuessWho

i hate this online pass bullshit. Can't even redeem my code because it's under maintenance, but if I do 2 day online pass it works.

fernoca

GuessWho said:
i hate this online pass bullshit. Can't even redeem my code because it's under maintenance, but if I do 2 day online pass it works.
Yeah. I'd say that the actual concept of an online pass is not bad, but the implementation is (and that's across all games that use one). The fact that you need to use a code, to download a file, which is what unlocks it.

When a similar system could be created of using the code directly in game and unlock online in-game without the need of downloading a file. Like Ubisoft does, were you can put passwords from them in the game and unlock stuff in game without the need of downloading anything.

So in situations like this, people that get a game during a similar problem can still play online and redeem codes without having to download files.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
GuessWho said:

I ran out of my pass I think... is there any way to get on?

fernoca

msdstc said:
I ran out of my pass I think... is there any way to get on?
Well if your 2-days trial expired, you can buy one for $10. Though I think that in the case of the PS3 you need to wait till the Store is back.

Sblargh

Banned
Game keeps getting better. I'm at that learning stage where everything is an experience and losses only make you better.
I hope this phase never passes... yet it will maybe this week. I wasn't really born for competitive gaming.

sleepykyo

infinityBCRT said:
Sub Zero is top tier with a good player. Theres no way they are going to make him more powerful when the best player in the tourney scene has pretty much destroyed everyone including Justin Wong using him. You just need to learn how to zone with him.

A lot of your list just seems to be things that can be countered easily and usually aren't problems in the hands of skilled players. Only legit complaints right now to me are Cyrax, Ermac and Kung Lao being too good (albeit we haven't seen them at a high level with the latest balance update) or characters like Baraka and Jax not being good enough.

Also, yes netcode does need to be fixed to react against faster characters, but thats a netcode issue and not a gameplay balance issue. Its basically down to whether or not they have enough memory in the gameplay engine to be able to do GGPO style rollback based netcode.
pdp was amazing . Fubarduck loses with Raiden to a Kung Lao switches to Kung Lao and wins. LI Joe loses both Ermac and Cyrax to PL´s Kung Lao . Switches to Kung Lao and wins 3 straight. So 5 out 8 earned their final rankings based on Kung Lao.

big_z

has there been any mention of an upcoming patch to improve the online?

they should also update the notice of the day thing with a link to a webpage that explains how to properly setup your connection.

This game needs some kind of survival mode. Basically a mode where you choose a character, and they throw battle after battle at you (with refilling health after you win) until you lose.

Just something to help train you in something resembling real matches. Right now, the best I can come up with is setting the rounds-to-win to 5, and going into the ladder, and quitting when I hit the bullshit bosses that really don't teach you anything other than how to cheese the AI.

Online play isn't great, and honestly, most people would probably prefer to build their skills before venturing online to be trash-talked.

Lucky to have friends that come over and play fighting games, but it's still a mode I would be interested in.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The Antitype said:
This game needs some kind of survival mode. Basically a mode where you choose a character, and they throw battle after battle at you (with refilling health after you win) until you lose.

Just something to help train you in something resembling real matches. Right now, the best I can come up with is setting the rounds-to-win to 5, and going into the ladder, and quitting when I hit the bullshit bosses that really don't teach you anything other than how to cheese the AI.

Online play isn't great, and honestly, most people would probably prefer to build their skills before venturing online to be trash-talked.

Lucky to have friends that come over and play fighting games, but it's still a mode I would be interested in.

You can just go into training mode and set it to expert, and beat the crap out of eachother.

This being said, I don't see singleplayer as much of a trainer rather than a place to fine tune your combos. You can't use the same tricks on people as you can on computers, they approach it differently. The best way to get better is to just keep playing.

Mileena

Banned
Man the rage mail on this game is lacking big time compared to SSF4. I just got one that only says "pathetic". Come on guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom