• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Squall ASF said:
Can someone give me an example of foreground objects in a particular stage? I can't think of anything that interferes with a fight in any stage.
Car in the highway stage. Passes in front of both players and obscures them. That's the one stage I won't play in a tourney, everything else isn't so bad.

W Hudson

I think I'm gonna start working on learning a couple new characters this week, starting with Sektor. Anybody here use him? Only seen him maybe 2-3 times out of around 500 online matches, but in practice his combos seem pretty powerful and he is fun to mess around with. It seems like the 1,2,b+2 (launcher) into f+4,4 into Teleport Uppercut is his BnB combo, anyone got any good variations of that or anything other suggestions for him?

I'd also add that IMO Sektor has the best combination of Fatalities in the game, followed by maybe Kung Lao and Ermac. What seems to be the consensus around here?

Nome

beast786 said:
Why Do I have to see poor sub-zero gets crushed by Damn Scorpion in menu screen. :(

WHYYYYY?
This game just fucks Sub Zero over. The menu screen hates him. The pre-order bookends hate him.
Even Raiden hates him, letting him get kidnapped!

Diablohead said:
fuck yeah 58% corner combo with sub-zero, 53% from frozen using X-ray

sogood.gif

I only just learned that you can ice slide coming out of his X-ray and it counts in the combo, you have to time it just right however.

What's the input?

And does it use ice clones in any way? Cause if it does, I'm not interested. I suck with that move, lol.

simtmb

Well with PSN back up, thought i'd play some online with some friends, and man....i never knew it was actually region locked -_-

Several of my friends imported the US version of the game, while a few others and i have the PAL version.

=/ Sucks.

beast786

Casval said:
This game just fucks Sub Zero over. The menu screen hates him. The pre-order bookends hate him.
Even Raiden hates him, letting him get kidnapped!

I always thought Sub-Zero was only 2nd to Raiden as in most popular MK figure. He has been my go to guy in every single MK I bought.

Also a little disappointing that Cyrax and other robot were in human forms.

Ok Netherrealm, if you are reading this -

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE LAG IN THE RANKED MATCH CHARACTER SELECTION SCREEN?

Are you fucking kidding me? Sorry for ranting but this is just embarrassing. It's a fucking menu screen, does there really need to be lag here? Sometimes I have to press the d-pad multiple times before it even registers my keypress. And when it does register, it takes like a half second to even move my cursor. Are you serious? You expect people to play the actual game which needs to run at 60FPS when something which is fine running at 5FPS is STILL unusable?

I know your shit isn't terrible, because non-ranked games are significantly more playable than ranked matches.

FIX THIS SHIT

Xevren

W Hudson said:
I think I'm gonna start working on learning a couple new characters this week, starting with Sektor. Anybody here use him? Only seen him maybe 2-3 times out of around 500 online matches, but in practice his combos seem pretty powerful and he is fun to mess around with. It seems like the 1,2,b+2 (launcher) into f+4,4 into Teleport Uppercut is his BnB combo, anyone got any good variations of that or anything other suggestions for him?

I'd also add that IMO Sektor has the best combination of Fatalities in the game, followed by maybe Kung Lao and Ermac. What seems to be the consensus around here?

In regards to Sektor combo's:

1,2 b+1, either jump kick xx teleport upper, jump kick, ex teleport upper, back+2,forward+2 is probably the big damage combo I use for him. Due to the amount of damage it does it's useful to just use meter for ex teleports or breakers.

You can combo into teleports from his overhead U+3,4 and from his low chain, which I think is forward 3,4. I forget the command on the low chain.

He's not too bad. I have fun with him, but Reptile is my favorite personally.

scoobs

been trying to learn smoke today and his BnB combo is a little wonky... i hit it about 50% of the time and its super annoying. Having said that, i destroy my friends with him cuz hes so freakishly fast and unpredictable.

W Hudson

scoobs said:
been trying to learn smoke today and his BnB combo is a little wonky... i hit it about 50% of the time and its super annoying. Having said that, i destroy my friends with him cuz hes so freakishly fast and unpredictable.

Are you talking about trying to hit the smoke bomb after you hit the jump kick + air throw following the launcher? I was trying that a lot yesterday after watching MarkMan kick ass with it in the PDP tournament, and I had a ton of problems getting it to combo as well. It seems like you need to be fairly close to the ground when you land the jump kick + air throw, then input the smoke bomb just prior to landing. The timing window on it seemed very difficult to say the least.

Anyone got any good tips for Nightwolf? I just started practicing with him after getting pretty comfortable with Liu Kang. I've been looking for a good BnB combo but the best one I found seems a little difficult, not sure if it's the best one:

f+3, 1, d, f, 1, step forward, 1, 1, d, f, 2

Basically it's the start of his Full Moon combo but brought into an Axe Swing which knocks them into the air, then I have to step forward to catch them, start his Blade and Edge combo but instead of that last stab grab them in the air with the Choke. It's a good damage combo but it's a little tough motioning around all those front punches and stepping forward - plus there's no switching it up... You can block the whole thing high (which doesn't really make since considering the first hit consists of Nightwolf stomping on your foot.

Maybe I'm just got getting the concept of a BnB combo, should it be simpler than that?

Also I'm having a hard time fitting his Arrow Shot into anything and a lot of times end up abusing his Shoulder dash attack - trying to get away from that.

Anyanka

wow 3 times my KOTH respect points have reset for some reason. I lost over 500 points. I just want the trophies so I can never play this lagfest again.

fernoca

Nice, ignored that Kombat Kode 101-101 unlocks "klassic music" during versus....well, I think it was 101-101..now I not sure....and can't test it, since the friend's not here. :p

Sblargh

Banned
FINALLY got to properly play this online thanks to PSN and all.
And it's so great. This game is so good. There is lag, the netcode is a piece of shit, but, the better gift possible was given to players outside of the US.
Chat rooms with names on them. Now I can just find the "Brasil" room and not worry about getting paired with someone too far away.
So lag is manageable, I can hit some combos and juggles. I don't really feel that lag is making me win or lose matches, even if it is definetly there. Can't wait for it to improve.

Anyway, this game is the awesome. Maining Sindel and it is so hard for people to get around her zoning, even with teleport characters, it is hard, because it is kind of predictable when people are going to teleport and punishment is well served. Fighting Kung Lao is a bitch just because getting caught in a random spin is death, that thing should be slightly less safe, not that much, tho, it is not that safe (but, yeah, pretty safe for something with that much reward).
Also playing Kitana a bit, she is good, I hope to get better with her.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
Nice, ignored that Kombat Kode 101-101 unlocks "klassic music" during versus....well, I think it was 101-101..now I not sure....and can't test it, since the friend's not here. :p
It is 101101, you're right.

fernoca said:

I input this every match. If the game had an option to switch over to classic music permanently I'd gladly use it.

DasRaven

Just browsing the Nekropolis arts and such... They just have to bring us a dramatic battle against the Tormentor at some point.
Make him reasonably slow, give him a Khan+ life, ultra armor (no x-ray, freeze, lifts), and an epic 70% x-ray.

That'd be quite fun. Stick and move.

Unicorn

With PSN now back up, when will we start seeing some DLC? We know Kenshi and Skarlett are coming, along with Classic Cyrax/Sektor outfits, and it can only be assumed that we'll be getting other classic outfits as well. When is NRS going to hook this shit into my veins?!

Struct09

Unicorn said:
With PSN now back up, when will we start seeing some DLC? We know Kenshi and Skarlett are coming, along with Classic Cyrax/Sektor outfits, and it can only be assumed that we'll be getting other classic outfits as well. When is NRS going to hook this shit into my veins?!

This month according to Mr. Boon

oooh 61% mid screen X-Ray combo from sub, bit of a bitch to pull off but pratice makes perfect, hey if I can do it, anyone can lol.

Wonder if I will ever pull it off online... would be so rage for the opponent.

*edit* LOL playback can't record my action fast enough and drops the combo, so much for recording it for youtube.

Ordered my import copy to Australia today from ozgameshop... should be here in two weeks, hopefully customs doesn't get it.

Any Aussies had trouble with customs yet?

ColonialRaptor said:
Ordered my import copy to Australia today from ozgameshop... should be here in two weeks, hopefully customs doesn't get it.

I don't think the biggest aussie fan (TotalMK) has it yet. He may just be biding his time until they make R18+ official.

chogidogs

simtmb said:
Well with PSN back up, thought i'd play some online with some friends, and man....i never knew it was actually region locked -_-

Several of my friends imported the US version of the game, while a few others and i have the PAL version.

=/ Sucks.

Is this for real? I was wondering why there wasn't that much people around. Geez, what a mess! I hope they open this up to all regions when they do patch it.

Unicorn

chogidogs said:
Is this for real? I was wondering why there wasn't that much people around. Geez, what a mess! I hope they open this up to all regions when they do patch it.
Well, considering the complaints of lag when it's in the same region... making it even broader might make it more of a nightmare.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Unicorn said:
Well, considering the complaints of lag when it's in the same region... making it even broader might make it more of a nightmare.

I played a dude in the UK when the game first came out and it was one of most lag-free sets of matches I had played until then.

But yeah, in general it would make things pretty bad. Unless they let you filter by region, which they should've done in the first place.

Unicorn

Lost Fragment said:
I played a dude in the UK when the game first came out and it was one of most lag-free sets of matches I had played until then.

But yeah, in general it would make things pretty bad. Unless they let you filter by region, which they should've done in the first place.
I wish I had Live so I could try out the online. Currently writing a review for a company my friend works for. I'm going over to his house tonight to play on his Live account.

I need a job so I can start supporting my gaming again.

sleepykyo

Curses to not being able to redeem my kombat code due to store being down. Using the free trial period right now and played 5 matches, join room -> 4 1 on 1 matches, 1 koth the hill match. Never would have thought possible, but this has taken Tekken DR's spot for worst netcode, I've seen in a fighter.

I played online most of the day yesterday, and that mostly consisted of being unable to find a ranked match and frequent insane lag (PS3). Which is a bummer, because I'm well ready to get my Kitana and her 50% BnB combo up in your faces.

fernoca

sleepykyo said:
Curses to not being able to redeem my kombat code due to store being down. Using the free trial period right now and played 5 matches, join room -> 4 1 on 1 matches, 1 koth the hill match. Never would have thought possible, but this has taken Tekken DR's spot for worst netcode, I've seen in a fighter.
I know that Dry :)p) and a few others say that I'm too condescending when it comes to MK, but even haunts and a few others have said that while the netcode is not perfect, is not the worst out there ever.

Plus on PSN:
1. PSN was having problems before April 19, to then being shutdown in April 20/21.
2. PSN just recently came back and it still manages to get shutdown here and there for maintenance, so things are not that perfect.

That the netcode is relatively bad depending on many things yeah; I mean I didn't had many problems back then and had a few lag matches yesterday. Just came back from 5 KOTH matches and no lag..and was really owned by an awesome Ermac too. XD

But it is not the worst netcode ever, neither better than older games..which sucks too. :p

Rattles

ColonialRaptor said:

There are a few aussies online so should be fine.
btw the online is region locked, I got a friend in Aus that imported from hong kong and i can't play him with my New Zealand copy. And if we try and do private match it tells me to insert the MK disk lol

SixStringPsycho said:
So I shouldnt Restart?

I think you do want to restart. I dunno, I completed the challenge after a few tries, but I know I've read specifics somewhere that suggest your health bar will refill after each opponent if you lose enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom