• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Doctor West said:
So what's the best way to play this online with the least amount of lag? I just finished a private match with a friend and it was pretty bad. Are rooms the way to go?

The only time the latency is low for me is when I play my friend who lives 5 minutes driving distance away. It's pretty bad if it's anyone out of state. It should also be noted that we live in NYC where the standard connection seems to be 15 down 5 up.

Hope they fix this soon.

Mileena

Banned
Slamtastic said:
Quan Chi needs buffs.

Had no idea his buff special went away on CHIP damage until now.

And the runes are pathetic unless you do the EX trap. Regular fireball is much better.
Quan is fine. He has an incredible mixup game with decent-good teleports and fireball. Oh yea, a fucking unblockable rune trap too. Yea, he's fine.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:
Awesome. After playing with sleepykyo (?) in the GAF-lobby..the router took one of the usual 1 second-disconnects. :(

Every time I'm on the left side I just forget how to do Sindel's fatality. :p
That was me. Serves me right for using Sheeva online. And I´m totally blaming lag. Good game and use of 21 mix ups.

Also played a 2 of 3 tag? where neither me nor Cyclonus could fuzzy or complete combos. And that was the best connection I´ve gotten so far in mk9 .

fernoca

corkscrewblow said:
Feels like the netcode is even worse after that patch. Boon is clearly trolling us.
Keep in mind that the netcode hasn't been patched, or the game per se.
So far they've only fixed/nerfed characters through the "quick/hot fix" (at the beginning when it says "checking for new online content").

There is a patch to fix netcode and DLC, planned for later this month.

sleepykyo said:
That was me. Serves me right for using Sheeva online. And I´m totally blaming lag. Good game and use of 21 mix ups.

Also played a 2 of 3 tag? where neither me nor Cyclonus could fuzzy or complete combos. And that was the best connection I´ve gotten so far in mk9 .
Your Sheeva was quite awesome actually. My Sheeva-lover friend would be all over you into giving him tips, since he'd really like to play better with her.

My router sucks anyway, maybe I'm the one giving lag to everyone? :p
It tends to randomly disconnect for no reason.

In other things...

Kamidogu posted an interview with Matt Mullins, who played Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat Legacy (the online-short series). Seems Johnny Cage was also affected by the PSN downtime. XD

Kamidogu: Had you played a Mortal Kombat game prior to your role in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth?

I was one of the guys that would be in line at the arcade with quarters lined up on the screen waiting to play. After MK3 I did not play for a long time, but with MK9 I have really enjoyed playing and can’t wait until the PlayStation Network problems are fixed so I can get online and play different people.​

Full interview.

BigFwoosh

Played my first online matches in the PSN gaf room tonight. Man, I had heard it was laggy online, but I didn't expect it to be quite that bad. Still fun times though. I need a lot more practice, fo shizzle.

Khezu

Brady is on a stream right now talking about the patch, and some other stuff.

DLC and the real patch is coming in 2 weeksish. Patch changes a lot of shit thats broken with the game, like actual glitches and real character changes.

Retro costumes are coming at the same time probably going to be the free DLC, said the netcode patch is coming at the same time, NRS said it increases it a LOT.
Also said skarlet plays like a combination of ibuki and some character from MKA, sareena?

Oh he also said there planning to buff training mode, and kenshi isn't coming out at the same time as skarlet, bleh.

vocab

Ya, Tom Brady said NRS told him that the patch that's coming in two weeks has much much much better netcode. So I'll probably put more time in this game when that patch comes out.

fernoca

BigFwoosh said:
Played my first online matches in the PSN gaf room tonight. Man, I had heard it was laggy online, but I didn't expect it to be quite that bad. Still fun times though. I need a lot more practice, fo shizzle.
Yeah was fun. I love spamming "Booo" while waiting inline and throwing tomatoes. :p
Regular matches are less laggy, 2 player tag-team was a lagfest.

Guess it depends in many things, but in the end still fun. Doubt that the netcode-patch improves things dramatically, love to be wrong. So I guess if anything it will be a diversion of sometimes online and mostly an offline nothing.

And that they make the next fighting-game with rollbacks and all those online mumbo-jumbos in mind; for an overall better experience. :p

Khezu said:
Brady is on a stream right now talking about the patch, and some other stuff.

DLC and the real patch is coming in 2 weeksish. Patch changes a lot of shit thats broken with the game, like actual glitches and real character changes.

Retro costumes are coming at the same time probably going to be the free DLC, said the netcode patch is coming at the same time, NRS said it increases it a LOT.
Also said skarlet plays like a combination of ibuki and some character from MKA, sareena?

Oh he also said there planning to buff training mode, and kenshi isn't coming out at the same time as skarlet, bleh.
Nice update. :)

Hope things are for the best, can't wait to see what's the "free stuff".

fernoca

Teknoman said:
Finally. Can someone invite TeknomanEX to the Kombat chat room?
Well, it hasn't been really active. Probably because the in-game lobbies also allow chat. Also one can't directly invite people to the chat, but first need to send a friend request and then the actual invitation.

I just sent a friend request to your account, in any case, once you accept it; I'll send the invitation the next time I'm online (unless you're there right now, and accept it :p )

You can also check the online thread, to see if there are others with GAF-chat. That you may already have in your friends list.

I was in the GAF room earlier, impressed with some of the players... My Cyrax needs some work though, not sure if it was a little bit of lag but I have having a hard time finishing off my combos after I got them airborne - definitely couldn't time my enhanced bombs right.

Jump, 2, 1, 2, Net, B+2, >>, >>, 1, 1, Ex Bomb, >>, D, F, 3, R1

I started up a KotH at one point but Kung Lao was giving me troubles, (sorry, can't remember name something with a small 'n' in front) brought it down to literally >15% health on the third round each time I lost... couldn't dethrone the bastard. SO frustrating :p

Should of popped in my Liu Kang

"Buy the DLC and if they sell well you will see a lot more character DLC" Tom Brady saying that. I know people are thinking obviously, but I had the feeling they were going to only release 3 characters at most and then work on the next MK, so this is great, hope it sells.

mbmonk

Played MK online for 2 matches; it was a f-ing slide show. Popped in SSF4 played online for 3 hours no problem. Damn MK9 is a fun game. I just wish they wouldn't have shit the bed on the netcode... it's a real shame.

def sim

mbmonk said:
Played MK online for 2 matches; it was a f-ing slide show. Popped in SSF4 played online for 3 hours no problem. Damn MK9 is a fun game. I just wish they wouldn't have shit the bed on the netcode... it's a real shame.

The annoying thing is that the Super netcode isn't even amazing. It's ok at best but something that definitely still needed to be improved.

Then MK comes out and makes it look perfect. :(

mbmonk

vocab said:
Ya, Tom Brady said NRS told him that the patch that's coming in two weeks has much much much better netcode. So I'll probably put more time in this game when that patch comes out.

I am not going to redeem my online pass until they patch the netcode. If they fail to improve it maybe I can find a sucker on Ebay to buy it :)

mbmonk

rance said:
The annoying thing is that the Super netcode isn't even amazing. It's ok at best but something that definitely still needed to be improved.

Then MK comes out and makes it look perfect. :(

So true :)

Azuran

Banned
I had some great lag free matches tonight. Joining a chat room is the best way to go if you're looking for the best experience possible. Everyone who sent me invites had a great connection. I was actually landing 8+ hit combos in those matches.

On the other hand, KOTH is way to laggy. I can't even play more than 1 match before the room goes down due to the connections.

Blueblur1

I received an e-mail from Prima about an hour ago.

Prima Games said:
Dear ********,

The revised Mortal Kombat Character Cards are currently being processed and will start shipping on May 24th. We appreciate your business.

The Prima Games Team
I guess there's a second batch of cards going out. Anyway, I'm happy.

fernoca

CartridgeBlower said:
How do I discover how to do babalities? Do I have to unlock them or do I just have to find the inputs online? They're not in the krypt, right?
Not in the krypt. Either with luck or online through a guide/someone.

Raxus said:
Anyone playing on XBL?
Online Kommunity thread. ;)

4e1y8.png

To make things easier for fellow Xbox Live users. In case you can't (or don't want to :p) add other members to your friends list. Just:

1. Add MKvsGAF to your Friends List.
  2. Go to the profile of MKvsGAF and choose 'View Friends'
  3. There, it will show a list of other members from GAF (that added MkvsGAF too); so just proceed to send game invites, or talk to, etc.
There are currently 32 GAFers on it, not "OMG a lot" but still nice.

I'm not sure this has been posted or not, but PDP is offering free replacements of Tournament Edition arcade sticks that have the faulty Xbox 360 headset port. There is a known issue with some controller boards. The issue is the microphone's always "on" as if you're talking even when the user is not talking or making any noise. This creates annoying echoes for however many people you are chatting with. It also emits a very low-pitched feedback noise constantly into the headset. PDP claims this issue only affects "10 out of every 30,000 units" but that seems to be a very conservative estimate. There are at least four people (myself included) who have claimed to have this issue on the TRMK board. One of them bought two sticks and claimed both had the issue.

If you have this problem, call PDP's customer support at 1-800-331-3844 and set up your free replacement.

Instead of repairing your faulty stick, PDP will simply send you a brand new one. Once again, this process is free. There are two options for sending it in:

1) You can arrange to have PDP send a FedEx truck to your residence to pick up your stick. They will pay for all shipping costs.

2) You can send the stick in yourself through any service and they will reimburse your shipping costs. If you do this option, you have to enclose a copy of the shipping receipt so they know how much to pay you back.

They also ask you to enclose a letter explaining the issues you're having. PDP also says if you want the stick personally tested before it is shipped to confirm no issues with the headset port, request it in the letter.

Lumine

I am pleased by the news on this page. Though I haven't actually played online myself yet. :p

I finished story mode the other day. The last fight can be quite frustrating but it didn't take me as long as I thought it would. I had to use some cheap tactics, but hey, so did he. It's defenitly the best 'story mode' in a fighting game yet. Even if the story sucks. :p

By the way, am I the only one who finds that the music even on full is really silent compared to all the other sounds in the game? It's kinda wierd. :(

I'm currently maining Kabal. I've found some nice 30-40% hit combo's, but I also noticed that his damage really drops fast the longer you make his combo's. Which is wierd, but I guess it's a balancing issue.

I was planning on making Sektor my 2nd character, but it seems like he's very focused on creating and keeping distance while punishing any mistakes from your opponent. I think I want to pick someone who lends himself to a more balanced playstyle. We'll see.

Still loving the game. :)

Alej

Banned
I have the game on PS3 since 48h. Oh my good its very good!!! I'm in the story mode right now, at the battle with Smoke against cyber Sektor (in the Outworld) in Expert difficulty, its very tough and i like it.

I just heard that we have all an online free access for the time the store is down... So, i'll come soon. I wish there is not so much Scorpion spammers online.

So good, i didn't touch any MK since Trilogy on psone. This game is the best of the serie so far. (fatalities are a bit meh sometimes... but heck, gameplay is full of win)

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Can someone tweet Boon asking if they plan on releasing alternate outfits for the characters? Like a human Reptile alt for example? =P

Thanks if possible.
Did you see the human Reptile concept in the art book? Looked sweet. I'd say it's very possible they will still use that.

ToyBroker

Banned
Netcode patch is going to be such a relief. It's pretty much a toss up right now when playing online.

I'm tired of people raging on me for using Raiden online (since he's not very timing based)

sleepykyo

ToyBroker said:
Netcode patch is going to be such a relief. It's pretty much a toss up right now when playing online.

I'm tired of people raging on me for using Raiden online (since he's not very timing based)
Still going to rage. That teleport is amazing . Ditto for the electric fly but that one is relatively easy to get a heavy punish on.

GrayFoxPL

So I'm after 6-7 hour online sesion.

It's not bad! Crunch! Tasty crow!

At first I got a really bad laggy matches, so bad I thought I'd turn it off and call it crap, but later it went much better. I don't know why but connections with my own country weren't that good at all.

Funny but often I connected my juggles better with matches that had more lag and dropped them when there was less lag. Wtf?

I'm also very happy that I hadn't any "cheap" matches. Well one guy was spamming noob shadows, but that's it. Really nice and varied gameplay from the people.

Oh and no hate msgs, no rage quits. :O

My score after first session: 29/19
Characters used:
Baraka
Quan Chi
Sektor

Like for me not bad. Yes Baraka is good now. Owned quite few people. I knew training with shit tier will pay off finally.

Lumine said:
I was planning on making Sektor my 2nd character, but it seems like he's very focused on creating and keeping distance while punishing any mistakes from your opponent. I think I want to pick someone who lends himself to a more balanced playstyle. We'll see.

Still loving the game. :)

No way man, don't let those projectiles fool you, Sektor is a mega aggressive char. It's all about connecting that teleport uppercut and you can do it with almost everything. Combo involving EX uppercut and normal t. uppercut can get damage fast up to 40%.

W Hudson

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm not sure this has been posted or not, but PDP is offering free replacements of Tournament Edition arcade sticks that have the faulty Xbox 360 headset port. There is a known issue with some controller boards. The issue is the microphone's always "on" as if you're talking even when the user is not talking or making any noise. This creates annoying echoes for however many people you are chatting with. It also emits a very low-pitched feedback noise constantly into the headset. PDP claims this issue only affects "10 out of every 30,000 units" but that seems to be a very conservative estimate. There are at least four people (myself included) who have claimed to have this issue on the TRMK board. One of them bought two sticks and claimed both had the issue.

If you have this problem, call PDP's customer support at 1-800-331-3844 and set up your free replacement.

Instead of repairing your faulty stick, PDP will simply send you a brand new one. Once again, this process is free. There are two options for sending it in:

1) You can arrange to have PDP send a FedEx truck to your residence to pick up your stick. They will pay for all shipping costs.

2) You can send the stick in yourself through any service and they will reimburse your shipping costs. If you do this option, you have to enclose a copy of the shipping receipt so they know how much to pay you back.

They also ask you to enclose a letter explaining the issues you're having. PDP also says if you want the stick personally tested before it is shipped to confirm no issues with the headset port, request it in the letter.

Thanks for posting, I have this issue, talking while playing with my stick causes a horrible echo. Do you know if they will send you one right away of do they have to receive your stick then they will ship you a new one?

MasterDjin

Neo Member
Played a few hours of MK online(PSN) today and aside from a few SLOW MOTION ENABLED matches it was a pretty fun experience.Used Cage and Kratos to dominate but there is right now WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much Scorpions online.

Funny I was playing around with Kano,basically mashing buttons and lost against a guy who was using Subby.Called it a fun match and said I had his respect.So since I thought he passed the test I jumped to my main,which is Kratos and destroyed him.Pushed him into the corner and just combo him dead.Before I could finish him he quit then called me a p**** for playing like that.Ah,I love rage quitters.

Xater

I just got bodied by a Shang Tsung. :(

Now that I can play online again I should try learning those longer combo chains. Problem is I am still not sure which character to pick.

GrayFoxPL

MasterDjin said:
Played a few hours of MK online(PSN) today and aside from a few SLOW MOTION ENABLED matches it was a pretty fun experience.Used Cage and Kratos to dominate but there is right now WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much Scorpions online.

Funny I was playing around with Kano,basically mashing buttons and lost against a guy who was using Subby.Called it a fun match and said I had his respect.So since I thought he passed the test I jumped to my main,which is Kratos and destroyed him.Pushed him into the corner and just combo him dead.Before I could finish him he quit then called me a p**** for playing like that.Ah,I love rage quitters.

Yeah but how fun is to bait those teleports or jump over spears all day fighting scorp?
Most annoying is that leg trip, shit recovers too fast.

My first match was major wtf. Buttons did wrong things. Then I realized I must also change manually the preset for pt2. Geez.

Btw I think I played tag match with 2 players at the same time. One was normal nick other "guest". Pretty awesome but it didn't register my win.

Edit: I forgot to say this one thing: King of the Hill is unplayable due to cumulative lag. How ppl play this I don't know. All KOTH matches I tried were shit!

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
Edit: I forgot to say this one thing: King of the Hill is unplayable due to cumulative lag. How ppl play this I don't know. All KOTH matches I tried were shit!

I have had the same experience so far. I just go into a room which is named after my country and challenge individual people. That works out way better. I still get the occasional bad match but it is fine for the most part. I really hope the patch will make KOTH playable.

Also I think I'll stick with Ermac. I like the design and I think the zoning suits me.

GuessWho

safe to assume that this is by far the worst online experience - all consoles combined. To top it off they actually implement the online pass. You can't do that shit when your online is full of ass.
goes back to playing mk

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
BTW Is shoryuken.com just not working for me? I wanted to check out the forums for some combo videos...

Didn't you have a popup that said: "Upgrade!"?

I guess they're redesigning, or we have to upgrade. Lol.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
Didn't you have a popup that said: "Upgrade!"?

I guess they're redesigning, or we have to upgrade. Lol.

Nope, all I see is an error message in my browser. Good to know though that they are upgrading right now.

Shin_Kojima said:
Did you see the human Reptile concept in the art book? Looked sweet. I'd say it's very possible they will still use that.
Yep. Asked permission to post scans and did so many pages back. I basically wanted to build interest so more people who'd want it would prompt NRS to release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom