• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Uzumaki Goku said:
I'm working on a review to the story mode to this game... just captured all the footage... man, I got to say though of all the people I fought in story mode, Kano gave me the most trouble a lot of the time... anyone else have so much trouble with him?
No, but that early on tag-team of Kitana and Jade fucking blew me up for like an hour.

Uzumaki Goku

Unicorn said:
No, but that early on tag-team of Kitana and Jade fucking blew me up for like an hour.

Yeah, honestly I found a lot of fights like that to filler... just so the characters could have 4 fights in their chapter (quite frankly, I disliked the character chapter format limited the storytime for the characters imo)

Unicorn

Uzumaki Goku said:
Yeah, honestly I found a lot of fights like that to filler... just so the characters could have 4 fights in their chapter (quite frankly, I disliked the character chapter format limited the storytime for the characters imo)
Well, it was more for the story to progress through the tournaments. Playing through it twice really put the pacing of the tornaments into perspective.

Stackboy

What distance do you need to be away, to make johnny cages x-ray attack connect? I can't figure it out. It just seems like a taunt.

Jaguar

Stackboy said:
What distance do you need to be away, to make johnny cages x-ray attack connect? I can't figure it out. It just seems like a taunt.
It's a counter-attack/parry X-Ray. If they hit you while you're doing it, the X-Ray will trigger.

the chris

Stackboy said:
I think it's a counter move, the person has to hit you while he's taunting.

Uzumaki Goku

Unicorn said:
Well, it was more for the story to progress through the tournaments. Playing through it twice really put the pacing of the tornaments into perspective.

Which is what I didn't understand... it ISN'T a tournament. There doesn't seem to be a bracket... Mortal Kombat in the first game was supposed to be a proper martial arts TOURNAMENT. And yet no effort is made to even pretend like there is any kind of tournament bracket in place. Shang just walks around, randomly assigning whatever matches he sees fit. There aren't any consequences to losing either. Bi-Han gets defeated by Sonya (and you can't give the excuse that it wasn't an official tournament match - Shang was there to wave off on it) and yet one chapter later, there he is, fighting Scorpion like nothing happened and going on that, Shang Tsung makes Scorpion fight Cyrax and Sektor in a complete bullshit one on two tournament match and THEN later Cyrax eliminates Johnny Cage in a match even though Cyrax should’ve already been eliminated after he lost to Scorpion. It's a mess.

Khezu

corkscrewblow said:
Yea... he's kind of ass even with the OTG. I have no idea what they're thinking with some of the nerfs.

I'm guessing they don't see it as a nerf so much as fixing a glitch, since I doubt it was intended, outside of delayed wakeups, there are no other moves that hit OTG, I think anyway.

fernoca

Uzumaki Goku said:
Which is what I didn't understand... it ISN'T a tournament. There doesn't seem to be a bracket... Mortal Kombat in the first game was supposed to be a proper martial arts TOURNAMENT. And yet no effort is made to even pretend like there is any kind of tournament bracket in place. Shang just walks around, randomly assigning whatever matches he sees fit. There aren't any consequences to losing either. Bi-Han gets defeated by Sonya (and you can't give the excuse that it wasn't an official tournament match - Shang was there to wave off on it) and yet one chapter later, there he is, fighting Scorpion like nothing happened and going on that, Shang Tsung makes Scorpion fight Cyrax and Sektor in a complete bullshit one on two tournament match and THEN later Cyrax eliminates Johnny Cage in a match even though Cyrax should’ve already been eliminated after he lost to Scorpion. It's a mess.
Keep in mind, that that's the intention. :p
In the original cannon, it was explained that MK as a tournament was tainted when Shang Tsung (and Goro) gained control of it. It stopped being a traditional tournament as he used Mortal Kombat as a chess board to move pieces around as he saw fit, in order to maintain control and get closer to win.

In this new cannon, seems that basis was maintained (as the story start already in the tournament), but they added that Shang Tsung made and agreement with the Lin Kuei with promises of power and other things after winning. Sub-Zero, Cyraz and Sektor were there as part of that agreement, to help into making earth-warriors lose the tournament and not participating directly on it. As seen with the Sub-Zero/Sonya fight. Then, when the Lin Kuei (Sub-zero and Cyrax) and Scorpion is second-guessing his loyalty to work with Quan Chi; with the Sub-Zero/Scorpion fight.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
malfcn said:
Wish they keep Smoke OTG in real patch.

Yeah. IMO. He is a terrible character. For him to get this removed. I don't know, that's the wrong kind of nerfing going on.

Even with Kung Lao getting damage nerfs, he is still IMO one of the best in the game.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I used to play MK online a TON when Mortal Kombat: Deception came out. That was GOOD netcode.

If the game patch improves it to that level. I will definitely continue to play MK9. If not, I'll go back to good old (lol) Tekken and preppin' for TTT2/SC5.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Slamtastic said:
Ironic how the netcode quality and actual gameplay quality don't match up in these two cases.

hahah yeah, I wish you could have both :(

I liked MKD cuz my chars were SO fun (I used Noob Smoke)!

Rattles

NZ here and well the net code is pretty good.. even between NZ and Aus it's playable. Sure as shit don't play anyone from EU, just join an aus/nz room and it's a blast to play.

Blazblue was magic no matter where you were from

Uzumaki Goku

fernoca said:
Keep in mind, that that's the intention. :p
In the original cannon, it was explained that MK as a tournament was tainted when Shang Tsung (and Goro) gained control of it. It stopped being a traditional tournament as he used Mortal Kombat as a chess board to move pieces around as he saw fit, in order to maintain control and get closer to win.

In this new cannon, seems that basis was maintained (as the story start already in the tournament), but they added that Shang Tsung made and agreement with the Lin Kuei with promises of power and other things after winning. Sub-Zero, Cyraz and Sektor were there as part of that agreement, to help into making earth-warriors lose the tournament and not participating directly on it. As seen with the Sub-Zero/Sonya fight. Then, when the Lin Kuei (Sub-zero and Cyrax) and Scorpion is second-guessing his loyalty to work with Quan Chi; with the Sub-Zero/Scorpion fight.

I still think there should be some logic to the tournament though. He used it to unbalance the furies, it doesn't say anything about him changing the brackets, I mean Raiden seems totally cool with it when he should be saying something about it. But what bugs me is that.. if this is supposed be a new canon, fine... but then they wouldn't have that whole time travel element. You cannot do a reboot and a TIME travel story... you might argue Star Trek succeeded in that, but here's the thing... Star Trek's retcons were explained by the big event happened 20 years or so before the proper story.. they didn't pretend the Enterprise always looked like that.. they just had it be built later than it originally was and didn't pretend Kirk always grew up as a rebellious asshole. This game completley throws out several original cannon elements (like Sub-Zero hired to ASSASSINATE Shang Tsung than assinate for him and Mileena being created well before MK2) as though it was always this way when it clearly WASN'T.

Frankfurt

Banned
Yeah, they had the chance of making a real tournament and botched it. The lack of brackets and characters like Kitana being in MK1 are the few things that bothered me about MK9's Story Mode. I wish they had at least shown Johnny going "WTF, this isn't a real tourney".

Uzumaki Goku

Frankfurt said:
Yeah, they had the chance of making a real tournament and botched it. The lack of brackets and characters like Kitana being in MK1 are the few things that bothered me about MK9's Story Mode. I wish they had at least shown Johnny going "WTF, this isn't a real tourney".

Seriously, the guy has to fight two matches in a row and he doesn't even say anything, he's like: "Okay, cool, whatever."

big_z

Frankfurt said:
I got the impression that there were set matches, however most of them were on the spot challenges. It's a compromise to have a bit of each characters story. IMO the biggest flaw was the end. They Reboot the series to get away from the awful shit post mk3 only to write themselves back into it.

Anyone else had any trouble with trophies not showing up in this game?

For the
Ultimate Humiliation
trophy, I went through the select screen on versus mode, and did
everyone's babalities
against an empty second controller. Nothing came up. I didn't miss anybody.

For another one, this time online, I couldn't get the 10 KotH wins in a row trophy. I got 12 in a row, but nothing showed up, and in my trophy collection, that trophy was still blank.

But the stats are totally messed up anyway. It's like they update one match an hour to your official tally, even though you can play 10 in an hour. It's still updating stuff I did 5 hours ago in my stats.

But what's weird is the 10 Ranked wins in a row trophy worked right today. And also the 100 online wins trophy worked, even though my total online wins don't add up to 100 in my user statistics - probably due to how slow the stats update or because my stats have reset twice before.

MrMephistoX

big_z said:
I got the impression that there were set matches, however most of them were on the spot challenges. It's a compromise to have a bit of each characters story. IMO the biggest flaw was the end. They Reboot the series to get away from the awful shit post mk3 only to write themselves back into it.
That's probably my biggest gripe with the storyline too. I'd almost rather see some of the endings (minus character X defeating Shao Khan) as cannon. MK X-2 staring team Jade, Mileena and Kitana anyone? I'm hoping to high heaven Cyber Sub gets retconned out or somehow arbitrarily healed to be human.

Uzumaki Goku

MrMephistoX said:
That's probably my biggest gripe with the storyline too. I'd almost rather see some of the endings (minus character X defeating Shao Khan) as cannon. MK X-2 staring team Jade, Mileena and Kitana anyone? I'm hoping to high heaven Cyber Sub gets retconned out or somehow arbitrarily healed to be human.

What ruinned the story for me was when Sindel killed everyone.. that was straight up bullshit. These characters should've died with dignity, oh wait, you're bringing them back as zombies. This creates the notion that these fanfavorites are expendable and we shouldn't care about them. It was always be a wasteful writing attitude.

MrMephistoX

Yeah straight up late 90's comic book level writing at that point.
Although perhaps it might mean that defeating Quan Qi and Shinnok will bring them back to the land of the living?

GrayFoxPL

Damn rage quiters, I said too soon.

I learned to play CZS. He is pretty cool, but man, those unsafe moves. And non x-ray juggle I can only get up to 33%.

I'm glad it's relatively easy to juggle opponent online, unlike T6 where slightest lag affects them.

Boon keeps saying the net improvements will be BIG, I know not to get my hopes up, but if the game can see at least a 30 percent increase in net improvement I will be content.

alstein

GhostRidah said:
Boon keeps saying the net improvements will be BIG, I know not to get my hopes up, but if the game can see at least a 30 percent increase in net improvement I will be content.

If they improve it as much as Tekken got improved, I'll be very happy.

2ymae88.jpg

Anyone else see this in their game, or is this guy on SRK just BSing?

GrayFoxPL

Doesn't that banner always say: NINJA MIME ?

Btw. What I love doing online is picking classic stages with classic music and doing stage fatality at the end. So much satisfaction.

Pit still the best.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mr. E. Yis said:
Anyone else had any trouble with trophies not showing up in this game?

For the
Ultimate Humiliation
trophy, I went through the select screen on versus mode, and did
everyone's babalities
against an empty second controller. Nothing came up. I didn't miss anybody.
Not sure, but maybe it has to be done in ladder mode? That is where i did it at least. If you have the PS3 version, then you have to use Kratos as well i think.

GrayFoxPL

Slamtastic said:
That's the point, the guy on SRK is claiming that after this recent update it changed to an ad for The Hangover 2.

Hopefully that doesn't mean a new wave of free advertisement dlc/patch.

Reebooks for Johnny Cage, Black Belt headband for Liu Kang, Colgate toothpaste for Baraka.
Oh and look the cyborgs now have built in Ipods!

GrayFoxPL said:

Reebooks for Johnny Cage, Black Belt headband for Liu Kang, Colgate toothpaste for Baraka.
I would like that very much.

sleepykyo

GrayFoxPL said:

I guess it depends on how intrusive it is. I wouldn't mind seeing the Ninja Mime billboards on the roof and in the subway change to whatever movie WB is about release into theaters. It isn't like Liu Kang starts to materialize a can of mountain dew instead of a dragon.

Does anyone know if time spent in training mode counts toward the mastery thing? Thinking of just picking characters for tag practice and then just leaving it there for extended periods. I'm quite aware of how trophy whorish that sounds, but even over the course of a century, I'm not going to rack up 24 hours of Baraka or Cyrax.

sleepykyo said:
It isn't like Liu Kang starts to materialize a can of mountain dew instead of a dragon.
Hypotheticals like this always fail in my eyes, because they are so outlandish and humorous that I want them to happen.

Picturing it in my head makes my laugh. I want it now!

Slamtastic said:
Hypotheticals like this always fail in my eyes, because they are so outlandish and humorous that I want them to happen.

Picturing it in my head makes my laugh. I want it now!
"I am Earth Realm's defender, but Mountain Dew is Earth Realm's defender...OF THIRST."

Professor Beef said:
"I am Earth Realm's defender, but Mountain Dew is Earth Realm's defender...OF THIRST."

Now I want a patch where Raiden opens up a refreshing can of mountain dew and chugs it down and goes "aahhh" when he wins a match.

Slamtastic said:
Wouldn't a drink do the opposite of "Defend" thirst?

:p
I guess I should've put defender from thirst.

Anticitizen One said:
Now I want a patch where Raiden opens up a refreshing can of mountain dew and chugs it down and goes "aahhh" when he wins a match.
I'm cracking up here right now. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom