• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
Its not a balance patch, just a compatibility pack for freddy, also makes MK3 sub&sub usable now.

If PS3 version, any improvements to the netcode? Like at least fixing the connection indicators?

fernoca

infinityBCRT said:
Haven't tried it myself yet but according to some on TRMK, compatibility packs are now mandatory.
Interesting, and great news if true.
Hope that it doesn't break the online-multi and requires another patch to fix it. :p

infinityBCRT said:
Haven't tried it myself yet but according to some on TRMK, compatibility packs are now mandatory.
EDIT: Nope, just went into a match and couldn't pick DLCs.

I think this "patch" is nothing else but Freddy's compatibility pack, which is mandatory by WB's demand.

MK3 Sub and Cyber Sub are now usable after it.

corkscrewblow said:
Kabal, I'll give you. Reptile and Kitana? No chance in hell they're better than Raiden. Though Kabal is probably the hardest character to play in the game so most who want bullshit easy tier should stick with Kung/Raiden.

Where do you put Reptile and Kitana?

Fantasmo

There is a character change (that everyone except me will be happy about).

Sheeva seems to have been nerfed.

She used to have jump in 1, 2,1,2, F&1, grab & pound (or EN grab & pound) and it even worked midscreen, where EN was 36%. Now it only works in the corner.

You can do the still do both EN and normal versions midscreen without the F&1 but you lose 5% now that it won't connect, unless you're in the corner where it still hits.

Maybe my timing is off but I tried several times. 360 players can probably try it now and tomorrow to confirm.

Sucks, she was the only character I still enjoyed.

sleepykyo

My couch potato analysis

Kabal:
-excellent mix up potential with ability to insert a mid/low/canceled spin dash into any string
-stand state ender on combo
-a low projectile that knocks down
-air projectile is fairly large and has highest base damage of the air projectiles
-spin dash works fairly well as an AA and hits on both sides, leads into a combo opportunity

Kung Lao:

Reptile:
-elbow dash is a fast punish
-but most importantly the acid bombs stay on screen after Reptile is hit, so Reptile can the acid bomb as cover for an approach
-generally the acid bombs just have great potential for setting up covered approaches and traps

Raiden:
-fast teleport
-f 2,4: natural combo that links into electric fly
-electric fly is fast punish (air usable) that has a lot of wall carry

Raiden would have been higher but 2,4 went from +1 on block to -1 on block.

I think Kitana vs. Mileena is probably 5-5. She's one of the few characters that can beat Kitana in the zoning game but Kitana punishes her hard.

I kind of think it's 6-4, when Kitana has the momentum going during the zoning gaming Mileena can go for teleport kick over grounded fans or roll under air fans, but what does Kitana do when Mileena gets her sai game going? And Kitana's d+1 is great, but Mileena's d+4 is no slouch and Mileena u+4 goes over lows.

But I love that you're not giving out 7-3 or something. A lot of the match ups coming out of TYM were pretty out there and it seems like the player in question basically making it sound worse for their character than it the opposing player would.

edit: The heck at the Sheeva nerf?

Fantasmo

I'm pretty much done with MK, but at least online, I haven't met a Raiden that's much of a threat to Kano. Take that for what its worth. Online with weaker players its 10-0. Slightly more realistically its been 9-1.

Offline tournament style probably more like 6-4.

Kano is very very good at punishing Raiden, at least flow chart Raidens.

I don't think there's many 7-3 matches in MK. I agree there's some silly analysis at TYM. There's good information there but everything should be taken with a grain of salt. I've never seen a community more invested in theory fighter. Everything is so rigid "move A beats move B that's the end of the story" and nobody seems to know what hit confirm or on reaction means.

I'll say this about Kitana. Almost no one truly knows the matchup. We're getting away with murder pressuring with cutter without consequence.

sephi22

I'm pretty much done with MK too because of shit like this.

O1WOg.jpg

This is our regional PSN store (UAE store).
- No Skarlet ($4.99) or Skarlet Compatibility Pack with Costumes (FREE)
- Kenshi Compatibility pack is $4.99 instead of Free (What?)
- Rain Compatibility Pack is free, but Rain and Rain Pack have shitty MK:A portraits

I tweeted this to the NRS guys and didn't get any reply. So this is probably intentional. I really liked the package and even though I don't take the game seriously competitively, I decided I would support the game through DLC purchases.

You know what the sad part is, because of the weird absence of the Skarlet compatibility pack, I can't fight anyone who's downloaded that free pack, which means most of the people in the world.

fernoca

Contact SCE (Sony) too.
Skarlet was removed for a time, but then added again (at least in other regions). Artwork and info is usually handled by Sony. Try contacting them to see if they throw the ball back to WB; at least.

Nemesis_

Yeah, his first fatality can be performed anywhere.

Generally pretty terrible though, really disappointed. All the other DLCs worked for me, I'm so disappointed with Freddy though. =(

Frankfurt

Banned
He's got the most boring moveset in the whole game, hands down. And considering he's FREDDY KRUEGER, the horror icon wihlth the most insane kills in history, that says something about NRS. He doesn't talk like Freddy (just stays silent the whole match - grunting and chuckling doesn't count - even Striker has his "take this" lines, and Freddy should be THE talker in the game), he doesn't look like Freddy, he has two claws instead of one, his first fatality has no impact (the whole deal with that scene in the film is that you don't see the blood until later, but in the game, he lowers you into a pool of blood already!).

The one good thing is his ending, which is just incredible (with a cameo from a certain bad-ass chick to boot).

sephi22 said:
I'm pretty much done with MK too because of shit like this.

O1WOg.jpg

This is our regional PSN store (UAE store).
- No Skarlet ($4.99) or Skarlet Compatibility Pack with Costumes (FREE)
- Kenshi Compatibility pack is $4.99 instead of Free (What?)
- Rain Compatibility Pack is free, but Rain and Rain Pack have shitty MK:A portraits

I tweeted this to the NRS guys and didn't get any reply. So this is probably intentional. I really liked the package and even though I don't take the game seriously competitively, I decided I would support the game through DLC purchases.

You know what the sad part is, because of the weird absence of the Skarlet compatibility pack, I can't fight anyone who's downloaded that free pack, which means most of the people in the world.
Maybe Skarlet was deemed to be too revealing to be released for that territory.

Isn't there a way you can download the DLC off of another region's store?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Frankfurt said:
He's got the most boring moveset in the whole game, hands down. And considering he's FREDDY KRUEGER, the horror icon wihlth the most insane kills in history, that says something about NRS. He doesn't talk like Freddy (just stays silent the whole match - grunting and chuckling doesn't count - even Striker has his "take this" lines, and Freddy should be THE talker in the game), he doesn't look like Freddy, he has two claws instead of one, his first fatality has no impact (the whole deal with that scene in the film is that you don't see the blood until later, but in the game, he lowers you into a pool of blood already!).

The one good thing is his ending, which is just incredible (with a cameo from a certain bad-ass chick to boot).

He's the reboot Freddy played by Jackie Haley in the 2010 film. That's why he doesn't look like Robert Englund. Reboot Freddy also isn't a joker but a straight up murderer.

Personally, I like how he plays, whether he's boring or not aside. He does play like a mad slasher up close. But there's no way he could be considered as boring as poor Sheeva.

sephi22

infinityBCRT said:
Maybe Skarlet was deemed to be too revealing to be released for that territory.
Isn't there a way you can download the DLC off of another region's store?
I thought about that too. But Skarlet isn't that more revealing than the other girls in the cast though. The way they ban Games in the UAE is pretty mindboggling. I guess WB or whoever the regional distributor made some deals with the ministries because we've had tamer games banned due to 'extreme violence'.

Yes, I can buy a UK PSN card off a third party. I made a UK PSN and they've got all the DLC. The problem is all the character not counting Freddy come out to be about 9.99 GBP, but the PSN card with the smallest amount I can buy is 25 GBP, which is a lot for just costumes.

DasRaven

Freddy's babality is very creative.

However, WTF Sony/NRS! Had I known I would've waited.

Today's PSN update said:
Mortal Kombat – DLC Warrior Bundle ($14.99)
This DLC bundle contains four downloadable warriors Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and Freddy Krueger. Buy this bundle and get all four warriors for the price of three. This bundle does not include any other Mortal Kombat Downloadable content. If you have already purchased the Mortal Kombat downloadable warriors individually do not purchase this bundle as you will be charged twice for the same content. Visit www.themortalkombat.com for details.
File size 313 KB

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think NRS might have forgot to make Freddy's low claw projectile scale against Shao Khan. It hurts him more than an uppercut does. :lol

Kaijima said:
He's the reboot Freddy played by Jackie Haley in the 2010 film. That's why he doesn't look like Robert Englund. Reboot Freddy also isn't a joker but a straight up murder.

Personally, I like how he plays, whether he's boring or not aside. He does play like a mad slasher up close. But there's no way he could be considered as boring as poor Sheeva.
Now I need to watch the reboot. The fatality irks me because I want the blood to stop like in the movies. I do like how the color changes if you bring in a robot, noob or reptile.

Xevren

Jesus christ, worst part about these damn patches is just downloading the fucking thing. Keeps restarting my ps3 most of the time.

Wow. After trying out Freddy and reading on him, then trying him out some more, he is TOP TIER. Fast glove projectile, fast teleport, 50/50 on a jump punch (either way giving a 50% combo), a 69% corner. He might need a nerf.

djkimothy

Mr. E. Yis said:
Wow. After trying out Freddy and reading on him, then trying him out some more, he is TOP TIER. Fast glove projectile, fast teleport, 50/50 on a jump punch (either way giving a 50% combo), a 69% corner. He might need a nerf.

All new characters turn out that way, then it's quicklyrealized how to counter them.

Still rocking the kenshi though.

def sim

The high low mix ups Freddy has are amazing. At the very least, he's going to be doing 37% if he lands a 50/50 mix up that's fairly safe. The more ridiculous combos will probably get toned down, but I can't see them taking out his more realistic bnb's.

As a character, I think he's interesting enough. He's technically free because of the season pass, but I wouldn't had mind paying for him.

sleepykyo

2 restarts later and picked him up.

Still really irks me that they didn't bother creating unique jump animations. Especially given how all punch attacks are slashes/stabs for the character. Oh and the ex ground spike seems to some pretty noticeable slowdown on the PS3.

Sticking with Skarlett as favorite dlc character: the skin, the second fatality and the experimental (for MK9) stuff that was done.

DasRaven said:
Freddy's babality is very creative.

However, WTF Sony/NRS! Had I known I would've waited.
Really Sony? Are you kidding me? I bought the first 3 DLC characters too. Damn them for doing this now! :/

Tizoc

Shadowlink said:
Really Sony? Are you kidding me? I bought the first 3 DLC characters too. Damn them for doing this now! :/
Are you talking about the discount? If so, then you really should've known there'd be a discount on them eventually, which is why I waited and now it all pays off~

notworksafe

Freddy is pretty awesome. Much better than I expected him to be. I'll have to mess around with him more, but I think I'm going to add him to the rotation along with Skarlet and Sonya.

Rain_ng said:
Who? I didn't notice who that was...
Looked like
the chick from the first Friday the 13th movie.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Xevren said:
Jesus christ, worst part about these damn patches is just downloading the fucking thing. Keeps restarting my ps3 most of the time.

I had this happen last night after I downloaded the Freddy DLC-- sorry, the Freddy 100kb UNLOCK KEY (lol, "DLC"). Re-downloaded the file and the game updated.

And then I quit playing it to go play more AE.

Tizoc said:
Are you talking about the discount? If so, then you really should've known there'd be a discount on them eventually, which is why I waited and now it all pays off~
I should have never assumed that the discount was exclusive to 360 because they didn't get Kratos.......

Really dislike freddy unsuited completely, personally i liked kratos much more for a crossover, i know it couldnt of been on 360 but im sure they had a better option for DLC than freddy.

MK3 Subs is cool (oh thats a pun aswell), Retro CyberSubs is alright i suppose not the most adventurous costumes its essentially a reskin.

Id gladly buy another Season Pass for 4 more characters and 8 more costumes. Providing no stupid crossover characters. I can imagine Fujin,Shinnok,Reiko/Tanya and Jason Voorhees.

StalkerUKCG said:
Id gladly buy another Season Pass for 4 more characters and 8 more costumes. Providing no stupid crossover characters. I can imagine Fujin,Shinnok,Reiko/Tanya and Jason Voorhees.
I've been thinking about this a lot and honestly for UMK9 I don't want more characters... instead I'd like more modes and options. For example:

- More Story mode (perhaps a co-op campaign thats also playable online?)
- Better fleshed out tag modes (including online modes that let you play with 4 different people)
- More options for Versus Mode (enable multiple kombat kodes, ability to play CPU)
- CPU's costume/color are randomized
- More options for KOTH (tag, test your luck, number of rounds, etc)
- More colours per character
- Fix the Versus/life bar art (looks ugly) and also add alternate costume Versus art and make the art reflect the color you select
- Have better tracks for the main menu/select screen music
- Classic Ladder Mode: let you play the MK1 ladder style, MK2 ladder style & MK3 ladder style & UMK3 ladder style with an option to only have characters/stages from those games in the ladder or have it open to all characters/stages, use the classic select screen & ladder music/art styles for those modes as well
- Classic Characters: let you play as classic versions of characters. MK1 Scorpion only has teleport and Spear. MK1 Reptile has Sub-Zero/Scorpion moves, MK2 Sub-Zero has the ice puddle, MK3 Sub-Zero has the ice shower, MK2 Smoke is a Scorpion clone, etc; maybe you hit L1 while having Scorpion's MK1 Costume selected to enable his MK1 moveset for example
- Classic Stances: let you use classic stances from MK1/2/3 for characters; maybe you hit R1 while having Scorpion's MK1 Costume selected to enable his MK1 stance for example
- More classic costumes and fatalities from the first three games for all characters
- Ability to toggle music between New, Classic and Random
- Add in some new classic music remixes based off some of MK1 tracks from the Genesis version
- New Stages (MK2 Portal, MK3 Bank, etc)
- Have the ability to unlock secret fights in versus mode (maybe a toggle so its disabled for tournaments)
- Have some new secret characters, maybe have a Reptile style character who comes down and tells secret messages before fights
- Playable Bosses which are balanced for competitive play
- Option to disable guest characters entirely (Freddy/Kratos)

I'd rather them save new characters for the next MK game.

sleepykyo

I kind of want UMK9 in a year or MK10 in year.

Even after 1.04, I still don't have access to all dlc characters in a match, so it's kind of pointless to continue adding more dlc characters.

1. Huge overhaul in the netcode. Currently:

-Broken indicators for player matches
-No indicators at the rank screen
-Some sort of skill/win rate/rank based search filter
-Still some of the worst performance out there
-Limiting the size of King of the Hill

2. Overall restructuring of core combat including how "trades/priority" are resolved and attack assignments. And more animations, still really miffed about the jump punches and jump kicks looking so similar. Could have sworn that even mk1 had 3 jump kicks (Liu Kang even if it was just his dragon kick being recycled, Ninja type, Kano type) and couple of jump punches.

edit: 3. Not a huge issue, but I feel like the tag mode is pretty barebones. No regeneration, no active character getting knocked out loses the round, can only tag on certain strings. Outside of tagging to avoid bad matchups, it might as well be called team elimination, because it isn't much of a tag game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
corkscrewblow said:
They should re-do the entire engine. The MK9 engine is clunky and too random for a 2D fighting game. They won't do it though.

I don't think it's supposed to play like the conventional notion of 2D fighters, which means sprite based and pseudo-sprite based games (like Capcom's 2.5d games).

It's more like a 3D fighting game that doesn't have side-stepping or anything that rotates the characters off their initial axis.

Mileena

Banned
is that why trades and hitboxes are so random? I don't see that as a feature, more like something that should be fixed in the next iteration

corkscrewblow said:
is that why trades and hitboxes are so random? I don't see that as a feature, more like something that should be fixed in the next iteration
I do wonder why the idea that the outcome of every move has to be 100% predictable is so ingrained in players of 2D fighters. I think its predictable enough that you can deal with the 1% chance of randomness. And if it got down to that 1% chance of randomness, you probably could have been better anyways.

infinityBCRT said:
I do wonder why the idea that the outcome of every move has to be 100% predictable is so ingrained in players of 2D fighters. I think its predictable enough that you can deal with the 1% chance of randomness. And if it got down to that 1% chance of randomness, you probably could have been better anyways.

they should add tripping to mk10

Random bitching:

I can't uppercut for shit, because I always accidentally go Down, Down/Back, BP and get my Down, Back, BP move instead.

Diagonals for MK10/UMK9 please.

Oh, and the netcode is still ass.

Slamtastic said:
Random bitching:

I can't uppercut for shit, because I always accidentally go Down, Down/Back, BP and get my Down, Back, BP move instead.

Diagonals for MK10/UMK9 please.

Oh, and the netcode is still ass.
What controller are you using?

sleepykyo

Kaijima said:
I don't think it's supposed to play like the conventional notion of 2D fighters, which means sprite based and pseudo-sprite based games (like Capcom's 2.5d games).

It's more like a 3D fighting game that doesn't have side-stepping or anything that rotates the characters off their initial axis.

The forced plus frames on moves that would be normally at disadvantage in 3d combined with 2d special cancelable stuff just feels really awkward. And results in some crazy stuff.

eg.
- Safe jump kicks even though visually it looks like the opponent froze in the air
-Repeatable loops: Kabal's block loop, Kung Lao's teleport loop, etc.

edit:
On another note, has anyone figured out what the trade/priority system is in this game? It definitely doesn't resemble VF's or Tekken's.

Khezu

corkscrewblow said:

Hitboxes are janky because it uses some weird mix of 2D hit collision on a 3D plane, but some attacks are actually using 3D hit collision as well, so its weird.

There are no trades in MK, one character always has priority, the priority is chosen randomly at the start of a match then switches between players every other frame. Rumor has it someone high up at NRS(probably boon) hates the idea of trading attacks, for some crazy reason.

sleepykyo

Khezu said:
There are no trades in MK, one character always has priority, the priority is chosen randomly at the start of a match then switches between players every other frame.

What was the source for that? I've read it before, but I still can't wrap my mind around the idea of an assignment system that is for all appearances random. Can't they just jack VF's resolution method (stronger attack wins in a trade situation) so the plain slower attacks aren't so awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom