• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

sleepykyo said:
What was the source for that? I've read it before, but I still can't wrap my mind around the idea of an assignment system that is for all appearances random. Can't they just jack VF's resolution method (stronger attack wins in a trade situation) so the plain slower attacks aren't so awful?

The lead designer paulo garcia/colt on TYM.

Its just one of the many weird MK things that make the game not fit for any real competitive play.

Found the link to a post clarifying it.

fernoca

'Zup guys!!

4edJ9.jpg

And even like that he looks quite great. XD

Mileena

Banned
Khezu said:
Hitboxes are janky because it uses some weird mix of 2D hit collision on a 3D plane, but some attacks are actually using 3D hit collision as well, so its weird.

There are no trades in MK, one character always has priority, the priority is chosen randomly at the start of a match then switches between players every other frame. Rumor has it someone high up at NRS(probably boon) hates the idea of trading attacks, for some crazy reason.
This is so stupid. Like, what the fuck? They really should fix that in the next game...

Unicorn

Holy shit at priority.

If they make a UMK9, I'm hoping for an overhaul to omit weird shit like this, along with the wonky block/let-go shenanigans.

vixlar

infinityBCRT said:
I've been thinking about this a lot and honestly for UMK9 I don't want more characters... instead I'd like more modes and options. For example:

- Classic Ladder Mode: let you play the MK1 ladder style, MK2 ladder style & MK3 ladder style & UMK3 ladder style with an option to only have characters/stages from those games in the ladder or have it open to all characters/stages, use the classic select screen & ladder music/art styles for those modes as well

I was thinking in something like in MK3, where you can chose three different ladders. But each ladder represents a different MK.

If you chose MK1 you fight against 6 fighters, then mirror match, then a tag match, then Goro, then old Shang Tsung in Goro's Lair. And you could fight against secret Reptile and Ermac.

If you chose MK2 you must fight, maybe, 8 fighters, then mirror, then Tag Team, young Shang Tsung, and later Kintaro and Shao Khan in Khan's arena. Shao Khan without hammer. Jade, Smoke and Noob as secret characters.

If you chose MK3 you must fight more fighters, maybe 9 or 10, a triple endurance match, as there's no Motaro fighting against Goro and Kintaro Tag Team sounds good and then Khan with hammer, in the building. Secret fighters Cyber Sub Zero (because there's no Robo Smoke) and Noob.

GrayFoxPL

Lyte Edge said:
I had this happen last night after I downloaded the Freddy DLC-- sorry, the Freddy 100kb UNLOCK KEY (lol, "DLC"). Re-downloaded the file and the game updated.

And then I quit playing it to go play more AE.

Eh? Characters are in compatibility file. Obviously key is used to unlock them.

Khezu

Freddy was included in the patch the day before he was released, along with the sub-zero costumes.

This was for PS3 only though, hes a regular DL for xbox.

fernoca

Yep. Freddy was the mandatory update eveyrone got on PSN. Heck, the fact that some people were even running around and bashing Netherrealm on Twitter and Facebook because" I just paid for an unlock key..FUCK YOU ED BOON" was kinda...funny. :p

Papercuts said:
I went into a ranked match on 360 and wasn't able to pick any DLC characters, is it not mandatory there?

No, it's not. All because MS doesn't want to fuck over the handful of goofballs who still own an Xbox 360 without a hard drive.

Nemesis_

Random question that I just thought about.

How would you guys feel about them creating Mortal Kombat 2 in similar vein to the original game, but instead focusing on the story from Mortal Kombat 4, Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon?

Basically, I'm interested to hear if you guys think the characters themselves were awful, or if the gameplay mechanics?

AnEternalEnigma said:
No, it's not. All because MS doesn't want to fuck over the handful of goofballs who still own an Xbox 360 without a hard drive.
They probably could do it if they had seperate "Playlists" like a shooter does, where one has DLC and the other one doesn't.

Just some thoughts on the previous discussion of how Cyber Smoke could fit in:

1) Have his story amount to "Raiden shows Smoke a vision of what happened to him in the previous timeline," amounting him to a "what if" character like Human Smoke in UMK3 or Evil Ryu.

2) Or perhaps the Lin Kuei steal his body after Sindel kills him and turns said soulless body into a mindless robot.

Simple shit here, people.

fernoca

Dexa said:
i´m thinking about getting mk - has the netcode been fixed yet?
Still depends. Some say it's fine, others good, some say that it sucks; others say that they have more fun cutting their wrists. I had no problems with the online when I had the game (no longer have the game or a console).

If possible, rent it and try it out. If not; there's a ton of content and the game's excellent. So you'll spend a good amount of time just playing in the single player modes. Plus there's always local multiplayer if you don't like the online at all.

djkimothy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU34BT6U_JY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So a friend decided to record me playing Kitana on his iPad. The stipulation of the fight was that I could only teleport or use her fans. Link above... Enjoy...
Haha, that was fun and
you won too! XD

djkimothy

fernoca said:
Still depends. Some say it's fine, others good, some say that it sucks; others say that they have more fun cutting their wrists. I had no problems with the online when I had the game (no longer have the game or a console).

If possible, rent it and try it out. If not; there's a ton of content and the game's excellent. So you'll spend a good amount of time just playing in the single player modes. Plus there's always local multiplayer if you don't like the online at all.

Haha, that was fun and
you won too! XD

It was just stupid. We like to do these self imposed challenges in games. I'll see if I can win a game using only reptiles sweep and elbow dash. What we really wanted to do is run down the clock. Too bad no achievement there.

Is it true one of the levels runs in sub-HD in the PS3 version? It seems weird to me the game would dynamically change resolution for just one arena.

Shadowlink said:
Any idea on when the Arcade Kollection is releasing?

It was supposed to be late August, but they got cold on that when Capcom announced SF3 Third Strike for that window.

They haven't said anything other than it's definitely coming.

fernoca

_dementia said:
Is it true one of the levels runs in sub-HD in the PS3 version? It seems weird to me the game would dynamically change resolution for just one arena.
Yep. The arena is Shao Kahn's Throne Room. Apparently it seems to be related to the kind of anti-aliasing they used (but even Digital Foundry wasn't sure about it); but the result was better than in DC Universe. The PS3 version also had pixelated effects because of the filtering they used (like Scorpion's victory pose/going to hell, any kind of fire and lighting effect also looking pixelated).

Mortal Kombat operates at 720p on both platforms with neither getting any form of anti-aliasing. Instead, what we have here is a distinct 1x1 pixel wide edge blur that only partially smooths over edges successfully, but at the expense of giving the game a slight sub-HD look to it. Aliasing isn't an issue regardless, although having no blur filter and no AA would have been a preferable alternative.

Interestingly, on one particular stage - Shao Kahn's Throne Room - the overall impression is of a sub-HD presentation on PS3 around the 680p area. We're not entirely sure about the reasoning behind this, as it does seem localised to just this stage, which doesn't look to us like the most taxing in the game.

Moving on, it's clear that both versions are visually very close with regards to the baseline art, save for a few mild texture and normal map differences on some stages, and perhaps the odd rendering bug - for example, the texture work on Reptile looks very odd on PS3.

On the other hand we see that texture filtering is better on the 360, sporting higher levels of anisotropic filtering (AF), whilst the alpha buffers - smoke, fire and so on - are rendered in quarter resolution on the PS3. However, only some of these effects are actually filtered, leading to visible pixellation in some scenes.​

Link

And yep, there's currently no firm date for Arcade Kollection. Gamestop still has the sticks for August 31st; but nothing official yet.

I should also mention, that I won't be able to make the Arcade Kollection OT; whenever it ends been released. Too many weird things going on around here; so..guess it's open to anyone to make one. :p

Well they have a chance to release it next week along side SF3, or might as well release it on the last week of August. I wonder why they barely released info for this game. Summer is about to end too.

Calcaneus

Khezu said:
Hitboxes are janky because it uses some weird mix of 2D hit collision on a 3D plane, but some attacks are actually using 3D hit collision as well, so its weird.

There are no trades in MK, one character always has priority, the priority is chosen randomly at the start of a match then switches between players every other frame. Rumor has it someone high up at NRS(probably boon) hates the idea of trading attacks, for some crazy reason.
That's really odd, why would someone think randomness was a better alternative?

Uzumaki Goku said:
How so? I'd like to hear them. (I made it afterall)

Not to discredit anything and opinions are always good to hear, but a retcon is exactly what its suppose to be: a retcon. redo the story. I'm fine with this honestly, even with the raiden stupidity you mentioned ^_^

also, the other people in MK1 surprisingly appearing in the story is actually valid. Their storylines extend before and during every MK game.

Same can kinda be said about the tournament setup. the original MK1 just had people fighting in what was called a tournament... there's nothing saying that random "official" bouts happened.

also, MK story is never something to be taken seriously so I guess we are both at fault >_<

good video, but if you can get a better mic since it semi sounded like you were talking through a cardboard tube. I had a hard time wanting to turn the volume up even though I wanted to hear what you had to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom