• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

subversus said:
My friend hasn't played a fighting game in like 20 years and he destroys me in this game. I just can't understand how this happens. I consider selling it because I bought it to play with him and he destroys me in every fight. It's just not fun...

I don't have such problem with computer opponents.
Test Your Luck?
Slamtastic said:
Yes, they are. I just wish more people realized it.
MK has good lore. The rest, not so much. I love the interpersonal conflicts of Cyrax, the Dedication of Sektor, the sibling rivalry of Kitana and Mileena, the racial wars of Sheeva, Baraka, Goro, Kintaro, Motaro, Reptile, etc., the Sub-Zero history, and all the rest. I grew up with MK characters and story, so perhaps I have that in my mind going into this.

Mileena

Banned
subversus said:
My friend hasn't played a fighting game in like 20 years and he destroys me in this game. I just can't understand how this happens. I consider selling it because I bought it to play with him and he destroys me in every fight. It's just not fun...

I don't have such problem with computer opponents.
pick Raiden

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
corkscrewblow said:
pick Raiden

Yeah, I picked him and got owned. I'm pretty comfortable with Liu Kang and that police guy but I suck with all other characters.

I'm just too slow comparing to him. It's like he has no in-out animations - when I make one move and it goes nowhere, he lands two punches.

I can't understand if it is his better reflexes and I should just sell the game or I'm doing something wrong. I play on PS3 d-pad but I hate it. I'm trying to play with a stick but it's too loose to make combos and supermoves.

I don't know.

djkimothy

subversus said:
Yeah, I picked him and got owned. I'm pretty comfortable with Liu Kang and that police guy but I suck with all other characters.

I'm just too slow comparing to him. It's like he has no in-out animations - when I make one move and it goes nowhere, he lands two punches.

I can't understand if it is his better reflexes and I should just sell the game or I'm doing something wrong. I play on PS3 d-pad but I hate it. I'm trying to play with a stick but it's too loose to make combos and supermoves.

I don't know.

I was exactly in your situation a few months ago. Try practicing with the challenge tower, ladders and story mode. You'll eventually get a feel of what is going wrong. As bad as it is try practicing online as well. You will get owned like i did but just learn from your mistakes.

I find the dpad on the ps3 controller pretty good so stick with that, I find the combos pretty doable on it.

Basics:
- always have the finger on the block button. If you're not on the attack youre on the defense.
- pick a main, and stick with it, doesn't matter who, just pick 1 to get good at
- have a general understanding of the special moves of every character. That's not as daunting as it sounds. This is so you can defend against them.
- understand the concept of overheads and low hits. Ie block accordingly.
- understand concept of wake ups and each xray attributes.
- most importantly, always be in the habit to punish blocked specials. Even if it's just for an uppercut the point is to take advantage of the free damage you're given. But keep in mind, uppercuts do 12% damage where as combos can devastate your opponent (over 25% typically) and make him think twice of doing random teleports and such.
- learn to love the dash.

Practice, practice, practice. And don't be afraid of losing.

GrayFoxPL

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Um...by creating a model, giving it a moveset, and then selling it?

You haven't played the story mode? NRS holds to it tightly and doesn't to anything to brake it's integrity.

How many times does it need to be said that cyber smoke was replaced by csz and doesn't exist anymore before it will sink to whiners minds? They even got csz a mk3 outfit for fucks sake, doesn't that ring a bell what NRS wants to say?

They will probably recreate him in mk10 but in this game he doesn't exist. This "I want cyber smoooke!" whining got old long ago, now it's just annoying.

Guesong

Lost Fragment said:
I was fighting Cyber Sub with Human Sub the other day and I was like "oh shit, this isn't canon" and immediately turned my xbox off.

Except Cyber Sub and Human Sub are both canon in the new story while Cyber Smoke is not.

GrayFoxPL

Lost Fragment said:
I was fighting Cyber Sub with Human Sub the other day and I was like "oh shit, this isn't canon" and immediately turned my xbox off.

There are 3 Sub-Zero's in the game, all appeared and fought in the tournament so they are playable. There's only one Smoke. How hard is it to understand? Seriously.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Guesong said:
Except Cyber Sub and Human Sub are both canon in the new story while Cyber Smoke is not.

At the same time? I think not.

I also did a Kung Lao/Kung Lao match and was like "fuuuck there was 2 Kung Laos in story mode?!?"

Guesong

Lost Fragment said:

I also did a Kung Lao/Kung Lao match and was like "fuuuck there was 2 Kung Laos in story mode?!?"

Except you didn't do a Mirror Kung Lao match in story AKA canon mode.

Nor did you fight Cyber Sub with Human Sub, or vice-versa, in story AKA canon mode.

GrayFoxPL

Lost Fragment said:

Basing on the joke It seems that you realized you're wrong.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Guesong said:
Except you didn't do a Mirror Kung Lao match in story AKA canon mode.

Nor did you fight Cyber Sub with Human Sub, or vice-versa, in story AKA canon mode.

Quite. Now stop arguing that they can't release Cyber Smoke as DLC because it's not canon in story mode.

Guesong

Lost Fragment said:
Quite. Now stop arguing that they can't release Cyber Smoke as DLC because it's not canon in story mode.

Versus Matches are not canon and as much, make perfect sense to pit any fighter against another. The DLC fighters set in the MK universe (Kenshi, Rain, Skarlett) all have their working role in the story that does not contredict anything previously set, like CBS would.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

If they can shoehorn Kratos and Freddy Fucking Krueger into the stoy, then they could do the same for Robot Smoke. And even if not, I think you overestimate how seriously they take canon outside of story mode. If they want a character in that doesn't make sense in canon, they will find an excuse to include them anyway. "Bu-bu-bu it's not canon!" is the weakest reason they have not to include someone.

Guesong

Lost Fragment said:

If they can shoehorn Kratos and Freddy Fucking Krueger into the stoy, then they could do the same for Robot Smoke. And even if not, I think you overestimate how seriously they take canon outside of story mode. If they want a character in that doesn't make sense in canon, they will find an excuse to include them anyway. "Bu-bu-bu it's not canon!" is the weakest reason they have not to include someone.

But that's the thing ; Kratos and Freddy Krueger are guest characters if anything, with no ties to the current or previous Mortal Kombat lore. So yes, they shoehorned them badly, but for them it's not like anyone really cared. They are simply not the same status as the other Mortal Kombat fighters DLC.

Let's say they put Cyber Smoke in as DLC. What happens comes the next game? People will be clamoring for him even more, and NRS will be hard-pressed to find a solution about how to canonically include him. He is not meant to be in this new, remade universe.

I don't share your opinion that "not being canon" is a weak reason ; it might be so in other fighting games and for other developers, but Mortal Kombat games have been pretty consistent on its canon story and its implications, few retcons aside. The story matters much more for NRS - and to their fans - than the story of Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Soul Calibur matters to theirs.

At this point, I think the reasonable solution for all parties involved would be to create a new character (or take an existing, not popular, still not-used one from MK4 and onward) and to give him Cyber Smoke moveset from previous games. This way, people wanting Cyber Smoke for his hybrid moveset would have their new champion as they wished him (as I'm lead to believe its his moveset that his supporters want, or at least that is their pretense), and people caring about the canon would see no reason to object.

And everyone would be happy! :)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
How about: Robot Smoke is Human Smoke's brother, who was changed into a cyborg as punishment after his brother abandoned the Lin Kuei.

Wow! It's not technically the same Robot Smoke from UMK3, but suddenly Robot Smoke is a logical fit in the story. It's that easy. "It's not canon" is a weak reason to not include a character because in a universe where for some reason the ultimate fate of a realm is decided by winning 10 martial arts tournaments in a row, and people have magical powers and can shape-shift into other people on a whim, it's easy to make things make sense in canon.

Kenshi's presence in this game, using his backstory from previous games, wouldn't make sense either.

Guesong

I don't believe that particular reason would work, considering Smoke's ending reveal that Tomas Vrbata is in truth a demon in human form, which explains his smoke power. As such I don't believe he has a brother.

But we're just nitpicking at this point, aren't we? ;)

But yes, so long as Cyber Smoke is not Tomas Vrbata but some kind of "brother", I don't believe anyone would have qualms.

Though I still say that giving Cyber Smoke moveset to say, Dairou, would be more convenient for every party at this point.

SmokeMaxX

Guesong said:
I don't believe that particular reason would work, considering Smoke's ending reveal that Tomas Vrbata is in truth a demon in human form, which explains his smoke power. As such I don't believe he has a brother.

But we're just nitpicking at this point, aren't we? ;)

But yes, so long as Cyber Smoke is not Tomas Vrbata but some kind of "brother", I don't believe anyone would have qualms.

Though I still say that giving Cyber Smoke moveset to say, Dairou, would be more convenient for every party at this point.
Are you trolling or are you serious?

Let me make sense of the situation for you.

Cyber Smoke would make NRS a lot of money. NRS likes money.

That's canon. Case closed.

SmokeMaxX said:
Are you trolling or are you serious?

Let me make sense of the situation for you.

Cyber Smoke would make NRS a lot of money. NRS likes money.

That's canon. Case closed.

This. You can beat that "Cyber Smoke isn't canon anymore!" drum all you want, but at the end of the day if NRS wants to put him in the game, he will be in the game.

They would make a lot of money if they make cyber smoke. I wiould buy him and I'll make my friends buy him. A lot of fans want him - he's the 2nd or 3rd most wanted DLC character on most lists. He was my fave character from the original trilogy, and the only one to be left out. Smoke was first playable as a robot and those moves from mk3 are the ones I want.

And MK canon be damned. Who cares about what happens in story mode? If it were a real thing, then 90% of the characters in MK9 are dead and won't be in MK10. I highly doubt that.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah... by that argument you could say dark Raiden is non-canon, and scarred Sub-Zero is non-canon.

Also, NRS still considers MK1-7 canon. Boon called this MK a sequel and not a reboot.

Balance changes possibly coming with Freddy or soon after could be interesting. Nerfs to Raiden, Skarlet, Reptile, Kitana & Kung Lao. Buffs for Sub-Zero, Stryker and Sindel.

W Hudson

Osu 16 Bit said:
Balance changes possibly coming with Freddy or soon after could be interesting. Nerfs to Raiden, Skarlet, Reptile, Kitana & Kung Lao. Buffs for Sub-Zero, Stryker and Sindel.

Any details?

Raiden is losing his vicinity blast block traps. Reptile is losing the invisibile EX forceball bug. Unknown Kung Lao nerf. I would bet it's lower the hit advantage after low hat.
Kitana damage scaling fixed after opponent jumps into a fan. Skarlet will lose the slide into upslash link, her 17% back throw and probably slow her dagger cancel or lessen the pushback on block. Sub-Zero gains armor on EX slide and regular slide goes under high projectiles after 5 frames. Sindel gains armor on EX cartwheel and EX scream will be faster. Stryker's b+1,2,1 string will be safer.

None of this is confirmed but NRS have mentioned them as possibilities.

Osu 16 Bit said:
Did you catch the STBL show the other night? I wonder if they will still be doing buffs for Sub-Zero as NRS thinks Brady is selfish now.

infinityBCRT said:
Did you catch the STBL show the other night? I wonder if they will still be doing buffs for Sub-Zero as NRS thinks Brady is selfish now.

Paulo said he planned on those Sub-Zero buffs before Tom Brady started complaining about the Kitana matchup.

I was against those buffs at first but after thinking about it more he might need it. Kitana vs. Sub-Zero is so bad for him. Skarlet vs. Sub-Zero is probably horrible. The slide buffs would just give him an option, a way to try to get in while taking considerable risk. It'd be like the Johnny Cage EX shadow kick armor buff which everyone thought was too good at first and has turned out to not be a big deal.

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
Paulo said he planned on those Sub-Zero buffs before Tom Brady started complaining about the Kitana matchup.

I was against those buffs at first but after thinking about it more he might need it. Kitana vs. Sub-Zero is so bad for him. Skarlet vs. Sub-Zero is probably horrible. The slide buffs would just give him an option, a way to try to get in while taking considerable risk. It'd be like the Johnny Cage EX shadow kick armor buff which everyone thought was too good at first and has turned out to not be a big deal.

So Sub-Zero gets a meterless way through projectiles while Cage still needs to pay meter and possibly health to get through? Still it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Top tier vanilla sagat wasn't that bad as whole. Top tier Yun despite being weaker than vanilla Sagat is terrible.

Top tier Nu was awful. Top tier Litchi is fine.

Top tier Magneto Storm Sentinel was fine. Top tier Wolverine and Dark Phoenix are awful.

Evidently top tier Kung Lao is awful. It'll be interesting to see what top tier Sub-Zero brings.

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
Sub-Zero will never be top tier.

I guess if NRS is really done with Tom Brady. I'm fairly certain Kung Lao is going to get Ryu'd. Who do you see being the final top or is NRS really just going to continually hotfix the game?

sleepykyo said:
I guess if NRS is really done with Tom Brady. I'm fairly certain Kung Lao is going to get Ryu'd. Who do you see being the final top or is NRS really just going to continually hotfix the game?

Kung Lao, Reptile, Kabal & Kitana. The top tier won't change.

Kung Lao will be #1 unless they do something with f+3.

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
Kung Lao, Reptile, Kabal & Kitana. The top tier won't change.

Right now I'd probably agree with your first 3. Then add in Raiden for 4.

Kung Lao is going out because he'll still be really good at lower levels he'll still keep getting nerfed. Thus my comparison to Ryu.

Kabal, yeah he isn't going to leave top because he is difficult enough that he won't get popular enough to get nerfed significantly.

Mileena

Banned
>making a top tier without Raiden but with Kitana

KYPEp.gif

Raiden is so good because no one can play their game against him but his game isn't actually that strong.

Kitana has the best projectile in the game. She controls the air. She has the best escape teleport in the game. One of the best pokes. High, unbreakable damage. She can fight Kung Lao. She has almost no real bad matches. I'd accept that you have to have Raiden in there but Kitana belongs to make it a top 5.

She will win a major before Raiden. :)

Mileena

Banned
I embarrass Kitanas with my Mileena, even the good ones. I'm assuming it's 6-4 Mileena. Regardless, top 2 are Kung and Raiden. Anything else is just straight up ridiculous.

I think Kitana vs. Mileena is probably 5-5. She's one of the few characters that can beat Kitana in the zoning game but Kitana punishes her hard.

Kung Lao & Raiden as top 2 is from early in the game's life before we knew how ridiculous characters like Kabal are.

Morris

Disco Devil
Hi MK GAF, I just got this game...

What's a good place to check for character specific guides? I plan on maining Cyrax but I still dunno...

Thx!

Mileena

Banned
Osu 16 Bit said:
I think Kitana vs. Mileena is probably 5-5. She's one of the few characters that can beat Kitana in the zoning game but Kitana punishes her hard.

Kung Lao & Raiden as top 2 is from early in the game's life before we knew how ridiculous characters like Kabal are.
Kabal, I'll give you. Reptile and Kitana? No chance in hell they're better than Raiden. Though Kabal is probably the hardest character to play in the game so most who want bullshit easy tier should stick with Kung/Raiden.

New update is up. Downloading right now. It's pretty big too - 111 MB. Maybe this has those rumored buffs and nerfs from a few posts up? Maybe online is better too (lol)?

fernoca

Mr. E. Yis said:
New update is up. Downloading right now. It's pretty big too - 111 MB. Maybe this has those rumored buffs and nerfs from a few posts up? Maybe online is better too (lol)?
Guess PS3 version; any word from 360 players?

Khezu

Mr. E. Yis said:

Its not a balance patch, just a compatibility pack for freddy, also makes MK3 sub&sub usable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom