• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

ZangBa

I wish we could turn off these match recordings. For whatever reason it's starting to go into my cloud saves, wtf. My PS4 already takes care of this on a system level, kinda a pointless feature.

I uploaded some KotH matches with Kotal for fun. Everybody always leaves at the end. :C

Demoskinos

I wish we could turn off these match recordings. For whatever reason it's starting to go into my cloud saves, wtf. My PS4 already takes care of this on a system level, kinda a pointless feature.

I uploaded some KotH matches with Kotal for fun. Everybody always leaves at the end. :C

yeah.... the match recordings be auto uploaded are a bummer. I try to rremember to delete all of them before I turn off the PS4.

Unicorn

That's a sick Kotal. Love the beam KO on sliding sub in that first round.

Can we talk about geography, politics and religion in MK lore for a moment? I had company over yesterday asking questions and I did my best to answer but thinking deeper, I'm not sure of where things fit.

So Earthrealm is Earth and our universe as we know it, correct?

Outworld is another dimension, not just another planet within Earthrealm, I assume?

So that makes the Netherealm sort of a hell for all dimensions?

Now, is Outworld a planet that contains places like Edenia, Zaterra and such? Are these seperate planets within Outworld's realm? Different realms altogether?

Do the Elder Gods watch over only Earthrealm or do they govern all realms? If not, what are their equivalents?

Why are they a thing how did the original tournament come to be?

I love the lore but I've always filled in the blanks myself and skipped the lore expanding PS2 titles for the most part. I look forward to the discussion. Let me know if this should be in the spoiler thread instead.

Manu

Yes.

Outworld is another dimension, not just another planet within Earthrealm, I assume?

Exactly. Each realm is basically a "reality", if you wanna see it that way.

Netherrealm is MK's version of hell, yes.

Now, is Outworld a planet that contains places like Edenia, Zaterra and such? Are these seperate planets within Outworld's realm? Different realms altogether?

Outworld is a separate realm. However, when a realm conquers another through Mortal Kombat, they are merged. So yes, both Edenia and Zaterra were merged with Outworld.

Do the Elder Gods watch over only Earthrealm or do they govern all realms? If not, what are their equivalents?

They govern all realms and created Mortal Kombat.

All the realms in Mortal Kombat are actually smaller parts of a single universal consciousness known as the One Being. When the Elder Gods defeated the One Being they were able to put it to sleep and cut his body into pieces using special weapons known as the Kamidogu. Each piece of the One Being became a realm, and while the dream of the One Being continues, so will the realms continue to exist. Conquerors and warlords like Onaga and Shao Kahn are said to be unknowingly influenced by the One Being, who even in this state is trying to wake up from its dream by having the realms merged together again. To avoid this, the Elder Gods created Mortal Kombat in order to regulate invasions between realms.

Yes.

Exactly. Each realm is basically a "reality", if you wanna see it that way.

Netherrealm is MK's version of hell, yes.

Outworld is a separate realm. However, when a realm conquers another through Mortal Kombat, they are merged. So yes, both Edenia and Zaterra were merged with Outworld.

They govern all realms and created Mortal Kombat.

All the realms in Mortal Kombat are actually smaller parts of a single universal consciousness known as the One Being. When the Elder Gods defeated the One Being they were able to put it to sleep and cut his body into pieces using special weapons known as the Kamidogu. Each piece of the One Being became a realm, and while the dream of the One Being continues, so will the realms continue to exist. Conquerors and warlords like Onaga and Shao Kahn are said to be unknowingly influenced by the One Being, who even in this state is trying to wake up from its dream by having the realms merged together again. To avoid this, the Elder Gods created Mortal Kombat in order to regulate invasions between realms.

Thank you! I had forgotten about the merging part. I love the dream of the One Being bit. I now want Dark Souls set in MK lore because that is what it reminded me of.

Now how did certain characters come into posession of the Kamidogu? How many are there and who has them currently outside of what happens in MKX?

valeo

I have a 360 controller and feel really awkard using it while playing fighting games. How do you guys hold your controller? I feel like the way I hold it means I can't block. (i use the d-pad and 'hover' over the buttons with my fingers rather than just using my thumb, bit hard to explain)

Manu

Thank you! I had forgotten about the merging part. I love the dream of the One Being bit. I now want Dark Souls set in MK lore because that is what it reminded me of.

Now how did certain characters come into posession of the Kamidogu? How many are there and who has them currently outside of what happens in MKX?

In the old timeline, the six Kamidogu were spread around the world and Shujinko spent his life looking for them. He thought he was doing it for a god named "Damashi" but it turned out to be Onaga's disembodied essence.

In the new timeline they're now daggers (which is still unexplained) and were given to Raiden by the Elder Gods as keys to keep Shinnok's amulet sealed. Raiden then gave them to Earthrealm's champions.

In the old timeline, the six Kamidogu were spread around the world and Shujinko spent his life looking for them. He thought he was doing it for a god named "Damashi" but it turned out to be Onaga's disembodied essence.

In the new timeline they're now daggers (which is still unexplained) and were given to Raiden by the Elder Gods as keys to keep Shinnok's amulet sealed. Raiden then gave them to Earthrealm's champions.
I was thinking the amulet was the Kamidogu. What are the amulets then? Raiden had one that was cracking in 9 and everyone was fighting over Shinnok's in X.

Thank you, btw. It was great having company that cared but I didn't have all of the answers. I've had my own mental fanfic idea.

Demoskinos

Just fought a Jacqui who did nothing but spam full auto. A real pain in the ass to get around with Cassie. Guy was a wreck once I finally got in. Was pretty funny to just see him crumble when his strategy went belly up.

I could've sworn there was a tweet or something from the writer saying the kamidogu daggers are a different thing tho

patchday

Just fought a Jacqui who did nothing but spam full auto. A real pain in the ass to get around with Cassie. Guy was a wreck once I finally got in. Was pretty funny to just see him crumble when his strategy went belly up.

yeah I fought a guy last night that did just that

Fmal

Banned
Dang, I've been messing around with Flame Fist LK and I thought he was tight, but he doesn't have a single low string :(

Manu

That feel when you're on a winning streak and lose to a Kitana who spams fans from the other side of the screen, or a Raiden with so much lag he just spammed the same 3-punch chain and there was no way to get out.

That's the kinda shit that enrages me.

Fmal

Banned
I wonder if people would still complain about Sub-Zero Ice Clone pressure or Kano dagger spam or Jacqui guns if projectiles could hit each other like they do in literally every single other fighting game I can think of. Of all the dumb ~~NRS~~ shit in this game, fireballs going through each other has to be among the most baffling.

I wonder if people would still complain about Sub-Zero Ice Clone pressure or Kano dagger spam or Jacqui guns if projectiles could hit each other like they do in literally every single other fighting game I can think of. Of all the dumb ~~NRS~~ shit in this game, fireballs going through each other has to be among the most baffling.

Unless you're Ferra/Torr. Throwing Ferra eats pretty much all projectiles. Though I'm not sure about guns like Jacqui's or Cassie's.

Fmal

Banned
Unless you're Ferra/Torr. Throwing Ferra eats pretty much all projectiles. Though I'm not sure about guns like Jacqui's or Cassie's.

I'm at least 90% sure boss toss goes through multiple bullets. It goes through a clone + iceball, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

Is fireballs not clashing a legacy thing?

Xevren

I'm at least 90% sure boss toss goes through multiple bullets. It goes through a clone + iceball, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

Is fireballs not clashing a legacy thing?

Fireballs have never clashed in mk games.

Ferra/torr boss toss won't work against full auto btw.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Neutral crouch avoids the Jacqui bullets. If you block while crouching they'll hit you and build her meter.

BadAss2961

You can avoid her fire just ducking without blocking, but you have to block when she uses meter. If you can't get in, just have a teleport character in your pocket.

Jacqui's fun to use when you get her combos going.

Tahnit

Banned

I think i fought this same guy! neotiger or some shit. So fucking annoying. i was playing kitana as well so had no way of closing

Jocund

Nah, it's just so many people in this game think doing a combo makes you good. So they get beat by stuff like this that is easy to counter.

There were quite a few people on stream that were able to get in and beat him with legitimate play.
Yup. This dude I watch on Twitch, Yukaslegion, actually got into a match with that guy tonight and pulverized him. Dude threw a hissy fit, hah.

Fmal

Banned
I think i fought this same guy! neotiger or some shit. So fucking annoying. i was playing kitana as well so had no way of closing

Kitana doesn't have a crouch button?

Fireballs have never clashed in mk games.

Ferra/torr boss toss won't work against full auto btw.

You're right I just tested it. You can still consistently get a boss-toss in between full-auto shots though, and even if you biff it and trade you're doing 16% to her sub 7% (assuming you don't get hit by all three) so it's a really bad trade for her.

Fmal

Banned
I'm maining High Tech Jacqui. Is there any tips I should know?

Find some set-ups to get her install up and running, because without it her damage output is really shitty. Unless you're really dead-set on playing High Tech, I'd recommend switching to Shotgun or Full-Auto because they're basically objectively better in every way.

Top Bottom