• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
After trying all characters I decided to main Cassie in her brawler version, any tips combos for her?

WELCOME TO THE CASSIE CLUB!

Cassie is so awesome, a few tips:

1) these simple combos devastate people:
- forward+3,3,3 which starts as an overhead
- DF+3 which starts a low combo
- cartwheel then EX gunshot for 17% damage
- F+4, F+4, cartwheel, EX gunshot does over 20%

So she's primarily a rush down character. Launch into these combos right before your opponent wakes up, just keep the pressure on. Mix it up so they don't know if your combo will start with overhead, low, high, or mid. Doing the brawler tackle upon opponent wake up mostly always works. Flip side is you have to be careful against strong wake up opponents like Kung Lao or mileena.

2) cartwheel is your best friend. Probably the best wake up move in the game. Can play lots of games, zone with gunshot or ex gunshot then punish with cartwheel when they jump in.

3) zoners are your worst enemy. Cassie cannot traverse the screen well. Use EX kick (B, F, 4) to get across quickly.

4) here's the bad news: every ~30% combo requires the use of the run button unless in the corner. Unlike Lui Kang or Kung Jin that have many 30% combos chaining punches and kicks with specials (eg, Kung jins down+4 to D, B, 2 in bojitsu). It's very, very difficult especially online where there can be a bit of lag.

Every win with Cassie is so satisfying because in order to win you have to outsmart your opponent. It can be tough. She can't rely on easy 30%+ combos like scorpion or Kung Jin or spam specials like katana or subzero.

If you don't go for the run combos with Cassie you're missing out so much from the character. I'd also argue that run>B1,2>B,F2 isn't too hard to execute online. Not only does it give you higher damage and save meter, it also puts your opponent on the ground and you in the perfect position to use any of your mix-ups (Overhead, low or grab) which can all be converted into another combo into the hard knockdown.

Marvel

could never
Kotal now my main. Love him.

People don't know how to handle War God variation, so many options with that sword of his.

d3vnull

So what gamepads are you guys using on pc?

I have a feeling my shitty 360 d-pad is not gonna cut it if I want to get better at *****s.

Should I be lazy and just get the Xbox One controller with the improved d-pad or is the PS4 pad with driver hax the best solution in this case?

Majestad

Banned
Is MKX the best looking fighting game ever?

I remember some people said Killer Instinct looks better and I think they are crazy. I have only played Season 1 though.

It is, easily. People that were "disappointed" by the graphics because supossedly the game is cross-gen are on some shit.

WELCOME TO THE CASSIE CLUB!

Cassie is so awesome, a few tips:

1) these simple combos devastate people:
- forward+3,3,3 which starts as an overhead
- DF+3 which starts a low combo
- cartwheel then EX gunshot for 17% damage
- F+4, F+4, cartwheel, EX gunshot does over 20%

So she's primarily a rush down character. Launch into these combos right before your opponent wakes up, just keep the pressure on. Mix it up so they don't know if your combo will start with overhead, low, high, or mid. Doing the brawler tackle upon opponent wake up mostly always works. Flip side is you have to be careful against strong wake up opponents like Kung Lao or mileena.

2) cartwheel is your best friend. Probably the best wake up move in the game. Can play lots of games, zone with gunshot or ex gunshot then punish with cartwheel when they jump in.

3) zoners are your worst enemy. Cassie cannot traverse the screen well. Use EX kick (B, F, 4) to get across quickly.

4) here's the bad news: every ~30% combo requires the use of the run button unless in the corner. Unlike Lui Kang or Kung Jin that have many 30% combos chaining punches and kicks with specials (eg, Kung jins down+4 to D, B, 2 in bojitsu). It's very, very difficult especially online where there can be a bit of lag.

Every win with Cassie is so satisfying because in order to win you have to outsmart your opponent. It can be tough. She can't rely on easy 30%+ combos like scorpion or Kung Jin or spam specials like katana or subzero.

Thanks for the tips! Cassie ftw! i will keep practicing with her

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Watching this guy stream on PS4 and he hasn't had single laggy game in like 30 matches, I'm so jelous. I get 1 good game in 30. I need to sell a kidney and buy a PS4.

Demoskinos

So who does everyone think is the best so far? SubZero, Liu Kang, and Jax all come to mind for me. Kung Jin?
If were talking objectively the best Quan Chi (Summoner) is most likely going to be top tier. I'd say Cassie Cage (Spec Ops) is also one to watch out for. I'd say she has the best corner pressure in the game.

If were talking objectively the best Quan Chi (Summoner) is most likely going to be top tier.
God I hope not.

I finally found a character and the last thing I want is for him to get the bandwagon and then a nerf. Knowing my luck he'll get in finals today and everyone will be Quan Chi. At least I play Warlock and not Summoner I guess.

To be fair though Injustice wasn't plagued with Batgirls/MMHs so maybe not.

Xieldos

Played quite a bit online today and found that there has been a massive increase of Kenshi players.

Kind of annoying for someone like me who is maining Cassie and has to be on the front foot for the whole match, one slip and Kenshi's kinetic attacks pin me down for a while.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Damn dude, sounds rough :(

It is, if the game sucked I could move on but I love the game, it's just ruined by technical issues. It doesn't help we're two patches behind and have had literally no online fixes or improvements since launch.

Manu

So, I'm in a moral crossroad of sorts right now.

What's your opinion on watching/copying combos and techniques from pro videos? Because I like coming up with my own combos, but then I'll go online and get my ass handed to me by people who clearly just memorized every Youtube combo video available. So, should I cave in and do the same? I really don't want to, but it feels like I'll always lag behind if I don't.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm in a moral crossroad of sorts right now.

What's your opinion on watching/copying combos and techniques from pro videos? Because I like coming up with my own combos, but then I'll go online and get my ass handed to me by people who clearly just memorized every Youtube combo video available. So, should I cave in and do the same? I really don't want to, but it feels like I'll always lag behind if I don't.

That's not even a decision. YouTube BnB combos for your character and get into the practise room.

GRaider81

Really liking kitanna so far, think she will be my main.

This is my first fighting game since SC2 and im really digging it but is matchmaking always like this in these games?

Im 2/15 so far and I keep getting matched with ridiculous people with records like 147/10. It's not fun.

Zomba13

I'm using the DS4 with DS4Windows to get it to act as a 360 controller. I prefer it over the Xbone controller especially for fighters (I don't like how clicky the dpad is and prefer the shoulder buttons on the DS4).

Getting the DS4 up and running is suuuuuuuuuuper easy. Just download DS4Windows, follow the instructions, run it, plug the controller in via USB (or sync it up via blutooth) and it's done. Can also use the touchpad as a mouse and all that nice jazz.

Nuke Soda

Took me forever to realize that hitting the options button while selecting a costume gives you the alt colors. Still learning stuff in this game I suppose.

Zomba13

Took me forever to realize that hitting the options button while selecting a costume gives you the alt colors. Still learning stuff in this game I suppose.

Did not know this. I noticed that in a mirror match with Kung Jin in the same costume he got a different colour but didn't know how to manually trigger it.

patchday

Watching this guy stream on PS4 and he hasn't had single laggy game in like 30 matches, I'm so jelous. I get 1 good game in 30. I need to sell a kidney and buy a PS4.

yeah ps4 was pretty smooth for me last night (first time I played). played a few matches (Versus) and tried out KOTH

I'm assuming the folks with network issues are not on ps4?

I'll mess around some more later today online

so far I'm assuming all the issues are coming from High Voltage's PC port

Demoskinos

God I hope not.

I finally found a character and the last thing I want is for him to get the bandwagon and then a nerf. Knowing my luck he'll get in finals today and everyone will be Quan Chi. At least I play Warlock and not Summoner I guess.

To be fair though Injustice wasn't plagued with Batgirls/MMHs so maybe not.
There was some pretty crazy zoning and pressure from the few people who played him yesterday at Northwest Regionals. Not sure what is going on right now in the top 8 but I wouldn't be surprised if a Quan Chi is in the Grand Finals. He has so much added zoning pressure with that bat.

Man. I'm so bad with combos, I drop everything. It's partly me just losing my nerve, but now it's mostly just inputs not coming out cause of the DS4. Things like the game not registering basic specials definitely isn't my fault.

I really need to relearn the controls so that I can get better response from the DS4, but if I'm gonna do that maybe I should just learn stick.

Why is the DPAD not the same as the DS3???

I know how to combo and maintain Quan Chi's vortex, but when bullshit happens like my b1/b2 not canceling into rune because the pad doesn't recognize my down input it's annoying as fuck.

I really need to stop sliding my finger around and do individual button presses, but it's hard lol.

Zomba13

This coin grind is absurd. Any tips on earning more quickly.

If you're on PC (and I guess in this fucked up world of shitty micro-transactions, open to "piracy") there is always Cheat Engine. Otherwise, if you want to do it legit you just have to grind the towers.

kitzkozan

After watching more streams of online play, it's definitively one notch or two above MK IX and Injustice (PS4 at least). It's not ideal, but certainly playable. I don't know what NRS did to improve it, but you can get some matchup experience even if it's nowhere close to the offline experience.

BigFwoosh

Anybody else have problems doing x-rays online? I can do them totally fine offline, but for some reason they never activate for me online. Instead I end up switching stances.

Demoskinos

Man. I'm so bad with combos, I drop everything. It's partly me just losing my nerve, but now it's mostly just inputs not coming out cause of the DS4. Things like the game not registering basic specials definitely isn't my fault.

I really need to relearn the controls so that I can get better response from the DS4, but if I'm gonna do that maybe I should just learn stick.

Why is the DPAD not the same as the DS3???

I know how to combo and maintain Quan Chi's vortex, but when bullshit happens like my b1/b2 not canceling into rune because the pad doesn't recognize my down input it's annoying as fuck.

I really need to stop sliding my finger around and do individual button presses, but it's hard lol.

I'm right on the precipice if getting one of the PS4 Hori fight pads. My problem is its way to easy to hit up by accident when doing right to left or visa versa.

Top Bottom