• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Opto

Banned
Don't mind my whine fest, but that tap tap combo with Raiden that electrocutes you and then electrocutes you from the other side is utter trash.

A decent raiden player can be brutal, yeah. Combos last so long you let defenses down early

Opto

Banned
Also what's the deal with people choosing only like 2 modifers for Test Your Luck? Get that basic shit out of here, you do five minimum

Sigmaah

Yo what the fuck reptile has so many damn overheads and lows, this dude being slept on for real, he fast af too.

Ima practice with this fool.

Shackzam

Yo what the fuck reptile has so many damn overheads and lows, this dude being slept on for real, he fast af too.

He has way more overheads then he has lows. So just block high because it's harder for him to commit to converting a low string. Reptile is still good because of his overall mobility and range of his strings.

Nyx

Watched that Jacqui dude who is ranked #1 in the world for a bit last night on Live from Playstation.

Soooo cheap, most of the time he's just shooting from far away. Nobody came close to beating him though..

It's funny how I can go from losing a game in spectacular fashion, and then utterly dominate the same person the next time around. Kotal is definitely one of the most rewarding characters I've ever learned to play as, too. The matchmaking even set me up with a player of similar skill level for once!

Sigmaah

He has way more overheads then he has lows. So just block high because it's harder for him to commit to converting a low string. Reptile is still good because of his overall mobility and range of his strings.

I learned this in training, I haven't met a reptile who has used all of this stuff effectively so ima do it myself, let's see how it goes!

Shackzam

Watched that Jacqui dude who is ranked #1 in the world for a bit last night on Live from Playstation.

Soooo cheap, most of the time he's just shooting from far away. Nobody came close to beating him though..

He's a troll on gamefaqs. His connection is booty butt cheeks. He did the same shit in Injustice, can't get a real fight against this dude because of his connection.

Nyx

He's a troll on gamefaqs. His connection is booty butt cheeks. He did the same shit in Injustice, can't get a real fight against this dude because of his connection.

The amount of hate in the chat was too much though imo.
At one point he even started listening to the song 'Where is the love?' lol.

Xevren

Only one low he can combo from (b3) but requires meter. His overheads are great though.

In the process of making anti armor setups via nimble with him now for the corner. Which is damn near always. Only two ex wake ups that it wont break are Lao's spin and Goro's Ex punch walk so far. Just a concept, delay wake up avoids this though.

Sigmaah

Only one low he can combo from (b3) but requires meter. His overheads are great though.

In the process of making anti armor setups via nimble with him now for the corner. Which is damn near always. Only two ex wake ups that it wont break are Lao's spin and Goro's Ex punch walk so far. Just a concept, delay wake up avoids this though.

I'm able to combo off of his f3 as well with meter, if I hit it from very far away it won't combo but other then that it does. Imo that doesn't kill it's potential, I'm a good distance away and it's combining.

Tested it and it rarely doesn't combo when I do ex fast forceball.

Damn nimble looks damn fun.

Xevren

I'm able to combo off of his f3 as well with meter, if I hit it from very far away it won't combo but other then that it does. Imo that doesn't kill it's potential, I'm a good distance away and it's combining.

Tested it and it rarely doesn't combo when I do ex fast forceball.

Damn nimble looks damn fun.

F3 is alright, b3 is so much better for the low profile though. Comboing into ex force is kinda space dependent, If you're going to use the meter may as well go for ex swipe instead.

Spades

So, cancelling seems to be a pretty big deal. Could someone explain to me why you'd cancel out of a combo into something else? IE, why not do the something else in the first place?

Spades

Frame advantage? Combo strings so it can't be blocked?

Thanks, but I don't really understand frame advantage.

I understand that you might want to mix up a combo a bit, but why do you need to cancel to do that? Is it the only way you can jump into a specific combo? Does the action of cancelling actually allow you to continue the combo?

I'm trying hard to learn the mechanics of this game, as my post history will suggest!

kriskrosbbk

I understand that you might want to mix up a combo a bit, but why do you need to cancel to do that? Is it the only way you can jump into a specific combo? Does the action of cancelling actually allow you to continue the combo?

I'm trying hard to learn the mechanics of this game, as my post history will suggest!

Struggling as well.

Cancelling into a special move from a combo is a safe, reliable way to ensure that that special move will land successfully on your opponent.

For example, Throwing out an Ice Ball with Sub-zero is risky and might end up with you eating a big combo if your opponent blocks, ducks or jumps over it.

Leading with Sub's (safe) 1,1 string, and then cancelling into Ice Ball when you confirm that the 1,1 string is actually hitting your opponent, is a safer choice than just throwing moves out and hoping that they hit.

OmegaDL50

The term canceling means to execute a special move from a normal attack while disregarding the recovery frames. Recovery is basically the time it takes for a move to end and for the character to go back into his neutral standing position.

Go into training mode and check a characters movelist if you look to the right you will see the Frame Data.

Lets use Scorpion for example. His basic Square / X / Front Punch attack by the name of Palm Strike

Basically MKX runs at 60FPS.

Palm Strike has a start up of 8 frames, the attack animation lasts for 2 frames, and Scorpion takes 10 frames to go back into his neutral standing position adding this all up 2 + 8 + 10 = 20 out of 60FPS.

This move has a block advantage of 0 meaning if the opponent blocks this attack, Neither Scorpion or the Opponent would have an advantage and both would recover at the same time at neutral stance.

Hit advantage is 11, so this means if the opponent uses a move has hit advantage of 10.
11 is faster than 10, so if Scorpion used this move at the same time as the opponent uses theirs, Scorpion would hit first having the advantage.

Cancel has 15 frames. That means after Scorpion connects with Palm Strike he has 15 frame period to cancel into another move before the opponent recovers and can actually use the block button.

Now lets look at a different move, the Triangle / X / Back Punch move called Crescent Punch.

It has a start up of 9, is active for 4 frames, and recovery of 26 frames. What this means is it's a much slower move than Palm Strike...the recovery itself is almost a half second (26 frames out of 60 frames per second).

However because the move is active for 4 frames this means it attack lasts twice as long as Palm Strikes 2 active frames.

Block advantage for this move is MINUS 11 on Block. So this means if the opponent blocks this move, Scorpion will recover slower then the opponent, the opponent CAN and probably WILL attack Scorpion before he goes back into neutral standing position.

The Hit advantage of this move is only 2 frames, it's very slow. Palm Strike has 11 frame advantage. If two Scorpion players both used Palm Strike and Crescent Fist simultaneously next to each other, Palm Strike is faster than Crescent Fist. Palm Strike wins.

It may seem complicated but the concept is to find the best series of moves that have the longest cancel frames and immediately follow into a special move during the recovery to chain them together and create a combo.

The term canceling means to execute a special move from a normal attack while disregarding the recovery frames. Recovery is basically the time it takes for a move to end and for the character to go back into his neutral standing position.

Go into training mode and check a characters movelist if you look to the right you will see the Frame Data.

Lets use Scorpion for example. His basic Square / X / Front Punch attack by the name of Palm Strike

Palm Strike has a start up of 8 frames, the attack animation lasts for 2 frames, and Scorpion takes 10 frames to go back into his neutral standing position adding this all up 2 + 8 + 10 = 20 out of 60FPS.

This move has a block advantage of 0 meaning if the opponent blocks this attack, Neither Scorpion or the Opponent would have an advantage and both would recover at the same time at neutral stance.

Hit advantage is 11, so this means if the opponent uses a move has hit advantage of 10.
11 is faster than 10, so if Scorpion used this move at the same time as the opponent uses theirs, Scorpion would hit first having the advantage.

Cancel has 15 frames. That means after Scorpion connects with Palm Strike he has 15 frame period to cancel into another move before the opponent recovers and can actually use the block button.

Now lets look at a different move, the Triangle / X / Back Punch move called Crescent Punch.

It has a start up of 9, is active for 4 frames, and recovery of 26 frames. What this means is it's a much slower move than Palm Strike...the recovery itself is almost a half second (26 frames out of 60 frames per second).

However because the move is active for 4 frames this means it attack lasts twice as long as Palm Strikes 2 active frames.

Block advantage for this move is MINUS 11 on Block. So this means if the opponent blocks this move, Scorpion will recover slower then the opponent, the opponent CAN and probably WILL attack Scorpion before he goes back into neutral standing position.

The Hit advantage of this move is only 2 frames, it's very slow. Palm Strike has 11 frame advantage. If two Scorpion players both used Palm Strike and Crescent Fist simultaneously next to each other, Palm Strike is faster than Crescent Fist. Palm Strike wins.

It may seem complicated but the concept is to find the best series of moves that have the longest cancel frames and immediately follow into a special move during the recovery to chain them together and create a combo.

This is super helpful. Thank you.

Wallach

Worth noting that it takes 1 frame to come out of block. Which means if your move has a 5 frame startup, and you use it directly out of blocking someone's attack, it will not be active for 6 frames.

BiggNife

Is the fight pad for this game really that bad? The Amazon reviews are pretty bad, 2 1/2 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKTHZB4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had a WWE brawl pad on the 360 and loved it for MK9.

PDP really doesn't have the best rep when it comes to their controllers. They're generally considered cheaply made.

You'd be better off with Hori's pad, which is basically the same thing but Hori makes way more reliable products: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKLFES8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kitzkozan

Even in an offline environment, full auto Jacqui seems effective. Was watching Next level live last night, and there's one (PTH Revolver) who made it far in the tournament by zoning people out (although with mixups such as a 30-40% damage combo from time to time). before losing out to Arturo Sanchez who's an expert at zoning himself.

That being said, most people online seems oblivious to the fact that you can simply duck underneath her bullets. If you actually block in a crouch position, you actually extend your hitbox enough to eat the chip damage (although you have to block if you are waking up because of a transitional phase or something). I think the missiles have to be blocked either way, but it's not difficult to get around her machine gun if you know what you are doing.

Nyx

Even in an offline environment, full auto Jacqui seems effective. Was watching Next level live last night, and there's one (PTH Revolver) who made it far in the tournament by zoning people out (although with mixups such as a 30-40% damage combo from time to time). before losing out to Arturo Sanchez who's an expert at zoning himself.

It seemed very effective indeed, when the opponent got closer he would just use that shot to the floor while they were crouching, to get distance again. And if an opponent finally was close enough to do some combo's or so, it turned out the Jacqui player also knew at least some basic combo's too.

I would lose to him as well every damn time I reckon. ;-)

patchday

bookmarked thanks. Yeah I've been quite baffled how people chain together combos. Will practice

Demoskinos

It seemed very effective indeed, when the opponent got closer he would just use that shot to the floor while they were crouching, to get distance again. And if an opponent finally was close enough to do some combo's or so, it turned out the Jacqui player also knew at least some basic combo's too.

I would lose to him as well every damn time I reckon. ;-)

Its a tough matchup especially if you have no tools to deal with zoners like Cassie or Kotal Khan. For someone like Mileena or Scorpion.... he would have a lot harder time zoning them out.

Spades

Fantastic explanation. Thank you.

stn

^ Make sure that link is to a reputable site, I believe bans are given for linking to illegitimate key sites.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ma bad, didn't know you were on console. At least your game works :p

Ok where would I find some info on Kombat Kards, what they are, what they're for, and how or why I should edit mine?

So many things to figure out in this game and I clearly haven't been doing a good job with all this leading up to the release.

Manu

Ok where would I find some info on Kombat Kards, what they are, what they're for, and how or why I should edit mine?

So many things to figure out in this game and I clearly haven't been doing a good job with all this leading up to the release.

Go to Extras, then Offline Kombat History. From there you can edit your kard.

Different frames, backgrounds and icons have effects on the rewards you get in the game, like koins per match, experience (for your own rank) or Faction experience.

You get a boost for using a full set (bg + icon + frame.)

bishopp35

I’m switching my main from Kung Jin to Takeda. It was fun for a while, but now I feel cheap spamming the same Bojutsu combo over and over.

Demoskinos

Go to your Offline Kombat History in Extras and you can set a Border, Icon and Background. In the scheme of things they don't matter and you can ignore them if you want however there are tangible benefits for using the system. The main benefits being helping you earn XP,Faction XP and Koins faster. Each Icon,Border and Background you unlock (of which you can unlock in a variety of ways) has a buff attached to it. Some are for Koins some are for XP ect...

So if you wanted to get more koins you could set up each part of the set to give you bonus koins for winning a match or extra koins for doing a fatality ect... There are a lot of different setups depending on what you're looking to get accomplished. Like right now I'm trying to grind through all the factions to 50 so I'm going heavy on the Faction XP boosts.

Or... you could just ignore all of that and set whatever you think looks cool if gaining koins and faction xp isn't a worry of yours.

Marvel

could never
I really wish I wasn't locked into certain kards, some are ugly but give great bonuses. Keep 'em purely cosmetic please, there's far better looking ones to use but feel that I shouldn't.

I’m switching my main from Kung Jin to Takeda. It was fun for a while, but now I feel cheap spamming the same Bojutsu combo over and over.

I want to mix things up from my new main Sub Zero, problem is when I wasn't using him I was 85/114 to now 348/148 (I think) in the space of a day and a half with him. I do not want to start losing again! lol.

Feel like a scumbag though.

Go to Extras, then Offline Kombat History. From there you can edit your kard.

Different frames, backgrounds and icons have effects on the rewards you get in the game, like koins per match, experience (for your own rank) or Faction experience.

You get a boost for using a full set (bg + icon + frame.)

Go to your Offline Kombat History in Extras and you can set a Border, Icon and Background. In the scheme of things they don't matter and you can ignore them if you want however there are tangible benefits for using the system. The main benefits being helping you earn XP,Faction XP and Koins faster. Each Icon,Border and Background you unlock (of which you can unlock in a variety of ways) has a buff attached to it. Some are for Koins some are for XP ect...

So if you wanted to get more koins you could set up each part of the set to give you bonus koins for winning a match or extra koins for doing a fatality ect... There are a lot of different setups depending on what you're looking to get accomplished. Like right now I'm trying to grind through all the factions to 50 so I'm going heavy on the Faction XP boosts.

Or... you could just ignore all of that and set whatever you think looks cool if gaining koins and faction xp isn't a worry of yours.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Seijuro

Not sure if it was mentioned already, just spotted this and thought it was funny:
In the Online menu stats screen (down on the left), PS4 version:

STATS: Total wins with Tremor (VARIATION ONE): 20

edit: while typing this saw the same thing with Predator, also (VARIATION ONE), 20 wins.

Probably something from the patch and internal testing, but funny nonetheless.

edit: Jason (SLASHER) 161 wins.

Top Bottom