• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

I wish I had an old school ninja outfit for Sub Zero. But, his Revenant alt skin is white and awesome (x > start when picking).

Blue Steel is the closest you'll get. :p

And I agree, I love that alternate color. It especially goes well with when using the Cyromancer variant.

Shinnok takes no prisoners in the corner. 50/50 guess. If you guess wrong you'll lose at least 32% of your life.

If that's the case. You should go against my Raiden on his 50/50. ;)

Dr. Buni

Keep grinding them out. Stick to the brain dead easy ones imo.

Just doing Forward Circle Circle x 2 is fatter damage than most characters get for 5+ button hits lol.
Based D'vorah. I want to eventually be able to pull off the longer combos though.

Who are people actually using now that they've had time with the game? I've been having some successs with Sonya, but now I'm trying out Kotal.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Who are people actually using now that they've had time with the game? I've been having some successs with Sonya, but now I'm trying out Kotal.

Still mainly Ermac though I've liked Sub Zero a lot more than I expected. Of the new people I've liked Erron Black and Kotal. I still haven't tried a solid chunk of people and most variations though.

Manu

Maining Ermac and Kenshi, been trying D'Vorah too.

Man, I'd love to play with some of you, stupid PS4 region locking.

Spent a lot of time in training mode trying to get some of those swag 40% 1 meter mid screen D'vorrah combos and 0 meter 40% corner combos. Can nail them pretty regularly in training mode but I know as soon as I step into an actual match my fingers will turn into jelly and I'll just start mashing. Guess that's something you just have to train.

I saw some absolutely disgusting tech with run cancelling her swarm grenade but I can't for the life of me pull it off consistently. Feels like my fingers just don't move quick enough and I find run cancelling extremely awkward. Why doesn't this game have a dedicated run button again?

I've been sticking with Inferno Scorpion those minions are strong for the level of competition I'm facing now on pc. I have Full Auto Jacqui as my sub for now.

I've been sticking with Inferno Scorpion those minions are strong for the level of competition I'm facing now on pc. I have Full Auto Jacqui as my sub for now.

Those are pretty hard to beat if you don't stay focused lol. I guess I shouldn't be surprised we have a decent amount of Ermacs here too.

I love the stupid smirk Kotal has on his face during his first fatality lol.

Game won't boot up anymore and gives an error. I'm assuming this has happened to others, as every other game on my system works fine. Any tips? I've deleted and reinstalled it already, and it's still not working.

Raiden (Displacer)
Kitana (Assassin)
Kotal Kahn (Blood God)
Quan Chi (Summoner)

Still trying to figure out if I want to use:

Liu Kang (Flame Fist)
Cassie (Brawler)

Anyone else kind of disappointed by the story mode? It was pretty boring, especially from the mid-point onwards. Started off great but got really middling.

Kinsei

Banned

D'Vorah (Swarm Queen). She has a really easy 43% combo that only uses one bar, and a nice 33% meterless corner combo.

Dr. Buni

D'Vorah. I want to git gud with at least two other characters, but I am not sure which ones yet. I like Jacqui and Liu Kang a lot so far.
Anyone else kind of disappointed by the story mode? It was pretty boring, especially from the mid-point onwards. Started off great but got really middling.
I enjoyed it.

T.O.P

Banned
The netcode is making me hate this game, why couldn't they do something better with this game, i'm so freakin mad :(

I'm having a blast but it's frustrating to get 1 lagless match every 5 unplayable ones :(

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Any chance they'll patch the startup frames on Mileena f+3? Because girl feels like she has her feet in cement filled buckets, when you want to use that to start a combo. Shame as it's the easiest combo starter for me, and it sucks something incredible.

The netcode is making me hate this game, why couldn't they do something better with this game, i'm so freakin mad :(

I'm having a blast but it's frustrating to get 1 lagless match every 5 unplayable ones :(

It's probs your connection unless you're PC. I've had exactly one match with noticable lag, and it wasn't unplayable.

zlatko

Banned
Brawler so far actually. I'm open to suggestions. My go to midscreen combo is b12~db2, RUN~212, b12~bf3 which does 29% (or I go for a restand after the run).

That is true but I like to play as flashy as possible and I enjoy getting longer combos down. Once it's muscle memory it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So if anyone wants combos for a particular character/variant. Ask me, I'll grind it for 30 minutes, and see what I can come up with. I do a decent job of finding easy stuff for big #'s.

Cassie Cage(Brawler)

Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Once they are air juggled do Forward Triangle, Square, into back forward X. 26% damage. No meter. Works anywhere on screen. Does 29% off of jump in.

You can do the same above with after the juggle do back square, triangle, back forward X. 25% if you are more comfy with that.

As an extra side note. If you do a jump in with either of her kicks you can do her down + throw in the air to connect for a hard knock down. Does12 % damage and puts you relatively close to do wake up pressure.

Another note with her is her downforward at once with square is her low which plays out an animation. You can cancel the animation right at the shot or let the first 2 hits play out.This is really good because the first hit is low, the second is high, and if you cancel to back forward x it's essentially free damage unless they can block that mix up fast. You can also just cancel of at the low and go for the grab, or cancel it into a gun shot if you want. It can also cancel into down back triangle to pop them up into the air for a follow up unlike the full animation playing out variation. It's also great to cancel it into her gun shot if you want to mess with someones footsies game.

I really can't get get big damage without run cancel now that I try. Blah.

She has so many other things going for her though.

Yeah, it's abysmal. Some of the worst netcode I've seen in years. KOTH is completely unplayable, 1vs1 is about 1 out of 5 times playable.

T.O.P

Banned
^ yup

It's probs your connection unless you're PC

On X1

I've been playing KI since day one with zero problems (hell i don't even need to hook up my lan cable to play decently), finding a laggy match was incredibly hard, similar experience with other games nn X1 and PS4, zero problems on pc as well

I'm really doubtful my connection is at fault here :|

^ yup

On X1

I've been playing KI since day one with zero problems (hell i don't even need to hook up my lan cable to play decently), finding a laggy match was incredibly hard, similar experience with other game n X1 and PS4, zero problems on pc as well

I'm really doubtful my connection is at fault here :|

Ahh I have a PS4. Maybe Live is bad for it?

Wait this match I'm playing now has lag. 2!

Dr. Buni

It's probs your connection unless you're PC. I've had exactly one match with noticable lag, and it wasn't unplayable.
Well, I am on PC and I only had one laggy match (against a Raiden) so far. I am impressed because there wasn't even input delay (like in many SSB4 matches).

sixghost

So if anyone wants combos for a particular character/variant. Ask me, I'll grind it for 30 minutes, and see what I can come up with. I do a decent job of finding easy stuff for big #'s.

Cassie Cage(Brawler)

Triangle, Circle, Triangle, Once they are air juggled do Forward Triangle, Square, into back forward X. 26% damage. No meter. Works anywhere on screen. Does 29% off of jump in.

You can do the same above with after the juggle do back square, triangle, back forward X. 25% if you are more comfy with that.

As an extra side note. If you do a jump in with either of her kicks you can do her down + throw in the air to connect for a hard knock down. Does12 % damage and puts you relatively close to do wake up pressure.

Another note with her is her downforward at once with square is her low which plays out an animation. You can cancel the animation right at the shot or let the first 2 hits play out.This is really good because the first hit is low, the second is high, and if you cancel to back forward x it's essentially free damage unless they can block that mix up fast. You can also just cancel of at the low and go for the grab, or cancel it into a gun shot if you want. It can also cancel into down back triangle to pop them up into the air for a follow up unlike the full animation playing out variation. It's also great to cancel it into her gun shot if you want to mess with someones footsies game.

Thanks for this, she seems fun.

If anyone here has been playing Ferra/Tor, what range should I try to stay at with them? The projectile/grappler seems like a really odd combo for a character.

Those are pretty hard to beat if you don't stay focused lol. I guess I shouldn't be surprised we have a decent amount of Ermacs here too.

I love the stupid smirk Kotal has on his face during his first fatality lol.

Mileena 100% of the time, i need to spend sometime in the lab with d'vorah, she seems like a good alt in her venomous form.

Run cancels are such an awful and clunky mechanic. I try to avoid any character that relies heavily on them.

There's a really big Raiden combo I'm trying to learn that involves a small window of trying to run cancel, then quickly switching into a string that requires holding backwards.

Frustrating to say the least.

I found that you can get around needing the run mechanic for most of Raiden's combos. Depends on if you are trying to avoid using meter, though. I made a short combo video a few pages back... yeah it uses all 3 bars and is over the top, but it only requires a single dash (not a run cancel) into a neutral up punch to continue the string.

Tony-T's version of the combos requires 2 or more run cancels though. Big respect for that, but I prefer not having to depend on it at all.

I found that you can get around needing the run mechanic for most of Raiden's combos. Depends on if you are trying to avoid using meter, though. I made a short combo video a few pages back... yeah it uses all 3 bars and is over the top, but it only requires a single dash (not a run cancel) into a neutral up punch to continue the string.

Tony-T's version of the combos requires 2 or more run cancels though. Big respect for that, but I prefer not having to depend on it at all.

I don't see why people hate Run as a mechanic. All you gotta do is hit forward forward block and you're running. Just like a special move input.

Dr. Buni

I am not so sure about my mains yet, but it is easier to write off the characters I have no interest in maining:

- Cassie Cage (play style isn't my thing)
- Takeda (don't like his design and character)
- Goro (don't like his design)
- Kano (always disliked him)
- Reptile
- Scorpion
- Sub-Zero
- Shinnok
- Sonya
- Johnny
- Jax
- Ermac
- Tremor (isn't even out yet but nope)

All others have at least something tempting me to play them.
Faction Battles on PS4 are a wasteland. Can't find enough people
Any kind of online mode is a wasteland on PC. :p

Yeah, it really is. There's also a lot of impatient people who back out causing waits to be even longer. Which causes more people to leave. ;__;

It's odd because it straight up says if you leave you'll be punished for it. Guess people don't care. They should make the punishment worse or the rewards better.

KaYotiX

Banned
Going to stick with Cassie, love her combos :)

SO many fighters and varients....going to be really busy with this game for awhile.

I don't see why people hate Run as a mechanic. All you gotta do is hit forward forward block and you're running. Just like a special move input.

Honestly I would have dropped the switch stance button for a run button. Run is a universal mechanic that has the same input for every character, might as well be a button.

Yaari

PS4 owners, how long does it take you on average to find a Ranked Match? I'm looking at 1-2 minutes if not more.

I'm running a US copy from Europe and that's probably the reason. It's my own fault but I was reading about these games having a small playerbase over here, and since I already had some funds on my US account..

Either way it's an awful experience so far. I hate it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't know how people use Takeda. He punches SO SLOWLY. I find it so difficult to string combos together. Kudos to the people who can use this guy effectively. I feel brain dead.

Demoskinos

Any Sonya players here? I'm really liking her Covert-ops stance but outside of a neutral jump punch I'm not finding many ways to pop people up into the air with this stance.

Anyone got anything for her?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
PS4 owners, how long does it take you on average to find a Ranked Match? I'm looking at 1-2 minutes if not more.

I'm running a US copy from Europe and that's probably the reason. It's my own fault but I was reading about these games having a small playerbase over here, and since I already had some funds on my US account..

Either way it's an awful experience so far. I hate it.

Pretty variable, sometimes it's quick and other times it takes over a minute.

I don't know how people use Takeda. He punches SO SLOWLY. I find it so difficult to string combos together. Kudos to the people who can use this guy effectively. I feel brain dead.

He seems like you need to be at mid-range way more to utilize the range of his whips more.

Altairre

Cassie Cage(Brawler)

It's fine, I'm getting the hang of the run cancel. The combos after b1,2 and df1 (low starter) are not that hard to connect but the timing after the f3 (overhead starter) is extremely tough. Maybe I'll go for an easier version there.

It's odd because it straight up says if you leave you'll be punished for it. Guess people don't care. They should make the punishment worse or the rewards better.

Really? I wouldn't have ever figured. Since I never ever leave.

Actually I think I'm about to hop on right now for MKX.

UltraDavid says he's found a glitch that means you can do a string into a special, and if the string is blocked, the special doesn't come out, but if the string hits, you get the special to come out.

This means once we find a safe-on-block string, the game is ooooover.

ItIsOkBro

UltraDavid says he's found a glitch that means you can do a string into a special, and if the string is blocked, the special doesn't come out, but if the string hits, you get the special to come out.

is it the d-pad interrupting the string thing

Well... they'll just patch it. lol

IronLich

I've been going in with Venomous D'Vorah and Assassin Kitana.

How exactly does Venomous D'Vorah work? I know anything with a stinger causes poison on hit (including the amazing d3 poke) but does it last longer depending on the amount of strikes within a certain threshold?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Wow. Just got rekt by a Kenshi user. I have never been abused like that. It wasn't even close...

He was spamming the fuck out of that Demon summon. I was nearly helpless.

Anyone know if I can use my mkx profile on a friend's ps4?

mreddie

Got spanked by a Liu Kang to kept Bicycle Kicking me to doom and then Kenshi. So far, the only fighter who had me win some matches was Ermac. Online is gonna be frustrating for me.

Fmal

Banned
Got spanked by a Liu Kang to kept Bicycle Kicking me to doom and then Kenshi. So far, the only fighter who had me win some matches was Ermac. Online is gonna be frustrating for me.

I lose to Liu Kang more than anyone. I always think his strings are over before they are and then let go of block and get blown up.

Top Bottom