• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

K.Sabot

Got to play some casuals in person yesterday, way more fun than online as I could actually hit combos. i definitely need to grind out and learn strings and better damaging combos too. My simple stuff was decent damage but i need to maximize when i land a hit.

Not too different from VF, lol

Between this and DoA5 I've been saying that a lot about fighting games these days lol, this game seems so reliant on frame advantage like VF, though the high low is a bit more ridiculous than VF imo (especially with my character D'vorah)

Ferrio

Banned
So a run cancel exactly what I think it is? Cancelling the recovery of a normal into a run? Or is there something more tricky to it?

Finally got a chance to play this. I want to main Cassie but it seems most of her combos require run cancels, at least midscreen. Managed to get it down well enough in training mode but it's gonna take some practice if I want to pull that stuff off consistently in matches.

I went from Kano to Cassie and she feels so good for punishing players that like to stay at a distance. Honestly I just play with her with perfect timing, without trying to do crazy combos, and is more than enough for punishing must players. Remember that going from training mode to online mode is completely different and you have to adapt to the situation, which Cassie is great at.

Dr. Buni

Are you familiar with Street Fighter for example? Easiest thing in that game for a cancel is if you are Ryu, you do a crouching Medium kick, and input the fireball motion to get a 2 hit combo if you do it fast enough.

Same premise here. The input for the move has to be done fast. So the down back circle has to be done lightning fast for it to connect.
I know what you mean. Neat! I didn't know this was a thing in Mortal Kombat as well.

Thanks!

zlatko

Banned
I know what you mean. Neat! I didn't know this was a thing in Mortal Kombat as well.

Thanks!

It's harder in Mortal Kombat to cancel certain inputs into special moves. D'Vorah for example you have to input the motion during a sequence playing out.

Example: Triangle, Square, Triangle into down back Square.

Hit Triangle square triangle super fast and as it is playing out on your screen you input down back square before the animation for the trianglesquaretriangle is even done playing out

Edit: I also should have mentioned mid screen with D you can do Forward Circle, Circle, Forward Circle, Circle, X-ray for 50%..

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, you need to be lightning quick on some of them. A common one for ermac is 222 which is a pretty fast three punch move, and I had a hell of a time getting the followup until I realized I needed to basically have the chain + special move inputted before I even saw the second punch.

I was kinda scared to go online as I'm hardly skilled but one of the faction goals was to win a player match. I went online with Jax but I only really know his specials and a couple of 3 hit combos yet still I managed to destroy a guy who had a 25 round winning streak and accidentally did Jax second fatality which I hadn't unlocked.

I'm guessing online going to get tougher though.

Altairre

Which variant?

I have some no run cancel combos with her for brawler.

Brawler so far actually. I'm open to suggestions. My go to midscreen combo is b12~db2, RUN~212, b12~bf3 which does 29% (or I go for a restand after the run).

I went from Kano to Cassie and she feels so good for punishing players that like to stay at a distance. Honestly I just play with her with perfect timing, without trying to do crazy combos, and is more than enough for punishing must players. Remember that going from training mode to online mode is completely different and you have to adapt to the situation, which Cassie is great at.

That is true but I like to play as flashy as possible and I enjoy getting longer combos down. Once it's muscle memory it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Dubz

Any one else having issues executing back to forward special moves? Fireball motion moves come out easily but back to forward is giving me issues.

Krejlooc

Banned
My right hand is so sore today and I just realized its because ive been playing mk non stop for like 3 days now, haha. That's awesome.

Krejlooc

Banned
Brawler so far actually. I'm open to suggestions. My go to midscreen combo is b12~db2, RUN~212, b12~bf3 which does 29% (or I go for a restand after the run).

That is true but I like to play as flashy as possible and I enjoy getting longer combos down. Once it's muscle memory it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

An aside, I wish people would use proper mk nomenclature like bp or fp instead of 1, 2 because the controls change depending on stick. It makes things so confusing.

Durden77

Any word on a "Krypt monster" in this yet? I know I'm a bitch, but I hated that thing. Turned my relaxing Krypt experience into a tense get in get out. Hate screamers.

Trickster

Any word on a "Krypt monster" in this yet? I know I'm a bitch, but I hated that thing. Turned my relaxing Krypt experience into a tense get in get out. Hate screamers.

There's spiders while you inside a cave area. Outside there's nothing except one time

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

There are multiple types of enemies based on the area you're in that will jump out at you at random times. Don't think there's a way to avoid them.

Yep. There's one per each area of the crypt. Wolves, spiders, zombies, and perhaps more.

The jump scares themselves are quick time events that if you succeed, you get koins.

hertog

Any one else having issues executing back to forward special moves? Fireball motion moves come out easily but back to forward is giving me issues.

Having the same problems, tried switching to SF controls, but half circles are even worse

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I actually managed to play some online today, I said fuck it and created a room called "United Kingdom" and we slowly got about 20 people, what a difference it makes it, the game was fun for the first time. I think I ended on about 16 - 5 which I'm happy with. I spent a few hours in the practise room today learning all of Sub Zeros combos and I'm a lot better for it.

That being said, online still isn't fit for purpose on PC IMO, for these reasons:

. The game crashes to desktop 99% of the time if I join a room and then leave it while playing online mode.

. The game occasionally crashes to desktop while loading into an online match.

. The ping bars constantly try to refresh and never load, so you can never see the other persons connection.

. The matchmaking system does a terrible job of matching you with players near you, it's always a total lag-fest.

. Sometimes I cannot accept/decline fights, nothing happens when I press the buttons.

Bold need to be fixed like yesterday!

Durden77

Yep. There's one per each area of the crypt. Wolves, spiders, zombies, and perhaps more.

The jump scares themselves are quick time events that if you succeed, you get koins.

SPIDERS. THEY STILL HAVE IT AND THERE'S SPIDERS NOW?!

Are you fucking kidding me. I'm never going to be able to go in there...

SPIDERS. THEY STILL HAVE IT AND THERE'S SPIDERS NOW?!

Are you fucking kidding me. I'm never going to be able to go in there...

Yeah, but they're only for one area; which is a spider themed cave. Honestly, I've yet to touch that area myself.

Being in the Krypt you almost have to have a mentality like Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator: "Come on, come and get me, I'm here! Come on, do it now!!"

Dr. Buni

Yup.

I only dislike one, and that is ferra/torr.
Why?

Also, reptile Reptile > ninja Reptile.
It's harder in Mortal Kombat to cancel certain inputs into special moves. D'Vorah for example you have to input the motion during a sequence playing out.

Example: Triangle, Square, Triangle into down back Square.

Hit Triangle square triangle super fast and as it is playing out on your screen you input down back square before the animation for the trianglesquaretriangle is even done playing out

Edit: I also should have mentioned mid screen with D you can do Forward Circle, Circle, Forward Circle, Circle, X-ray for 50%..
I have been testing the combos for the past hour and they are great. I have a lot of trouble pulling them off consistently, but it is because I lack practice with traditional fighters.

Durden77

Yeah, but they're only for one area; which is a spider themed cave. Honestly, I've yet to touch that area myself.

Being in the Krypt you almost have to have a mentality like Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator: "Come on, come and get me, I'm here! Come on, do it now!!"

That's how I'd always feel in the MK9 Kyrpt. I just always wanted it to happen so it would be over with for a while.

I just looked up a video that shows the wolf, and at least when it comes to it it doesn't seem as screamer-ish and is more implemented in the world. More of just turn a corner and "OH SHIT WOLF!" which I can deal with better than a near instant image pop in with a loud scream. Spiders are still going to be fucking awful tho...need a video to prepare...

Damn I didn't know you can't send messages to players on steam if you're not friends with them that sucks. Damn I think I could have earned some type of hatemail by now. I wish the pc netplay was better it sucks bad right now. I"m loving Inferno Scorpion so much easy damage and the overhead minion is annoying to deal with from full screen. Pretty good zoning tool against weaker players. Anybody else play on steam that I can add for some matches?

Damn I didn't know you can't send messages to players on steam if you're not friends with them that sucks. Damn I think I could have earned some type of hatemail by now. I wish the pc netplay was better it sucks bad right now. I"m loving Inferno Scorpion so much easy damage and the overhead minion is annoying to deal with from full screen. Pretty good zoning tool against weaker players. Anybody else play on steam that I can add for some matches?
Check the Google doc in the OP. :)

Dr. Buni

While the girl is charming, I've never liked big slow fighters. Though I'll be honest I've only used ferra/torr the once and when I did I got destroyed.

I may go back to them at some point and see what I can come up with.
I see. In terms of playstyle I don't like them that much either, but I like the concept of the character at least.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
God damn, Gamefly shipped this Monday night and I still don't have it. I was on break this week and pretty much planning on playing it all vacation. Fucking slow ass delivery service.

After winning 13 times in a row and losing for the first times twice back to back I took my anger out this poor Jax and beat his ass to the point of a Quitality.

zlatko

Banned
Why?

Also, reptile Reptile > ninja Reptile.

I have been testing the combos for the past hour and they are great. I have a lot of trouble pulling them off consistently, but it is because I lack practice with traditional fighters.

Keep grinding them out. Stick to the brain dead easy ones imo.

Just doing Forward Circle Circle x 2 is fatter damage than most characters get for 5+ button hits lol.

Krejlooc

Banned
I hope they get the online record keeping shit fixed. I had a looooooong win streak going yesterday but last night, when I logged back in, my record was still 0-0.

Marvel

could never
I wish I had a better memory, I do really well in practice mode and then when I go online I forget absolutely everything button input wise because I'm too busy panicking and choking lol.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had an old school ninja outfit for Sub Zero. But, his Revenant alt skin is white and awesome (x > start when picking).

Top Bottom