• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mosul:Civilians killed by airstrikes in their homes after they were told not to flee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

“Evidence gathered on the ground in East Mosul points to an alarming pattern of US-led coalition airstrikes which have destroyed whole houses with entire families inside. The high civilian toll suggests that coalition forces leading the offensive in Mosul have failed to take adequate precautions to prevent civilian deaths, in flagrant violation of international humanitarian law,” said Donatella Rovera, Senior Crisis Response Adviser at Amnesty International, who carried out field investigations in Mosul.

“The fact that Iraqi authorities repeatedly advised civilians to remain at home instead of fleeing the area, indicates that coalition forces should have known that these strikes were likely to result in a significant numbers of civilian casualties. Disproportionate attacks and indiscriminate attacks violate international humanitarian law and can constitute war crimes.

Hind Amir Ahmad, a 23-year-old woman who lost 11 relatives, including her parents, grand-parents and four young siblings, in a coalition airstrike in East Mosul, described the fatal attack on 13 December 2016 to Amnesty International:

“We were sleeping when the house literally collapsed on us. It was a miracle none of us was killed. We ran to my uncle’s house nearby. At about 2pm that house too was bombed and collapsed on us… almost everyone in the house was killed – 11 people. My cousin, two aunts and I were the only ones who survived. Everyone else died. It took us six days to find only pieces of their bodies, which we buried in a mass grave in a field nearby... I don’t know why we were bombed. All I know is that I have lost everyone who was dearest to me.”

Much more here

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...homes-after-they-were-told-not-to-flee-mosul/

Lock if old

Welcome to the Trump Administration era. But I suspect he's a psychopath and won't care.

This happened in December.

Foreign policy will always be a negative aspect of Obama's presidency. There is no reason why this kind of thing should happen.

Ashes

Banned
Read the last paragraph.
That is specifically describing an Obama era strike.

All parties to the conflict must refrain from the use of mortars and other imprecise explosive weapons in the densely populated neighbourhoods of Mosul. The civilian population has borne the brunt of the battle to recapture Mosul, with all sides displaying a chilling indifference to the devastating suffering caused to the city’s civilians.”

Ah I see.

such a shame - it must be terrifying living in a not just a warzone, but on an actual battlefield. there's no safe side for them to live on.

I said I saw what the person I replied to wanted to, didn't I? What more do you want?

To understand context clues and infer that Razgriz-Specter meant the last quoted paragraph of the OP?

And to not act like a smartass when your initial assertion is shown to be wrong.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I hope they find and punish the terrorists responsible for this.

To understand context clues and infer that Razgriz-Specter meant the last quoted paragraph of the OP?

And to not act like a smartass when your initial assertion is shown to be wrong.
"Ah I see" is being a smartass? I think he was being genuine. No need to go looking for a fight.

Drone strikes should deservedly be a huge blight on Obama's legacy.

Sad that they will probably be status quo from here on out.

The Cowboy

I hope they find and punish the terrorists responsible for this.
They're already found, but there is no way Obama will ever be tried for this. If they can't get Blair and Bush for what they did, then they'll never get Obama for this.

Different rules apply for the USA and UK, we are the good guys you see (
like hell we are
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom