• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motocross Madness (XBLA) |OT|

boxartlg.jpg

Release date: out now
Price: 800 Allards
Developer: Bongfish
Marketplace Link

Motocross Madness is back! Take your bike freeriding across massive environments, from the deserts of Egypt to the snows of Iceland. Drift, trick and turbo boost your way across 9 expansive offroad tracks in single player events, ghost challenges and 8-player multiplayer races. Combine stats with your friends in Bike Club to unlock rewards then compete across all events to reach the top of your club.

Screens

Movies

Trailer

Reviews

Metacritic - 74

Official Xbox Magazine UK - 8
So much content has been wrung out of this game that there's even a reward for the number of miles you bail out of jumps. That's right: you get rewarded for not being very good. Basically, if you don't enjoy this game you're probably dead from the waist down.

OXM - 7.5
You'll ace every event in a handful of hours without much difficulty, and only the truly obsessive will pocket every collectible. But just ten bucks buys at least a few afternoons of enjoyable airborne antics.

Disclosure: I was a moderator for some time on Bongfish's forums

I tried the demo. I wanted to like it but I didn't particularly love the handling model and the physics. It's in a weird middle ground between arcadey and pseudo-realism.

On the plus side, it looks like there is a lot of content and some social elements that could be cool if it gets a decent community.

It's too bad it's not the old, real Motocross Madness. I loved those games on the PC back in the day.

DJ88

I played the original Motocross Madness so much back then. Randomly picked it up at an EB. It was the only game my crappy PC would play perfectly. Online just dicking around in the huge deserts was a blast. God I loved that game.

daydream

Banned
Loved the original. This game's alright. The more stuff you unlock the better (=faster) it gets. Ultimately makes me want to play Pure, but it does have some footing of its own.

jambo

WHAT?!?!?!

Need this to be good, fucking loved the originals.

Would be awesome on PC as well, that's where I played them.

I played the original Motocross Madness so much back then. Randomly picked it up at an EB. It was the only game my crappy PC would play perfectly. Online just dicking around in the huge deserts was a blast. God I loved that game.

I saw the title and though it was this game :/ I remember driving up the giant side walls and getting launched across the map.

mujun

I'd like to hear some more impressions of this one. I'm always curious about racers, especially offroad ones.

I have a love/hate relationship with it.

It feels pretty budget, aka a little sloppy in parts (collision detection, graphics, etc) but it is fun.

The handling feels decent if a little hard to control and slidey. Collision detection is a little iffy. Also has a sort of busted reset system either costing you a lot of spots in the race or putting you straight back into a spot where you are going to crash again without being careful.

Also a little light on content, only 9 races, each about 3-5 minutes. The rest of the game is 9 trick attacks, 9 free roam treasure hunts and 9 time attacks. It does unlock at a nice steady pace, though which is pretty satisfying.

It's worth 800 points but I would have liked to have seen 10 cups with five races a piece (and about double the tracks) or something like that.

It's a great game for only 800, it could have really done with more racing events offline as they can be all done and gold in a matter of an hour or so, but the adventure parts are just like the original with one huge map and the freedom to do what you want and hunt down coins and skulls.

Multiplayer works well enough but there is no ranking or scores or anything, so it can be ignored quite easily.

I got a copy from my friends at Bongfish and I played it for about an hour and a half. I'm enjoying it a lot, it's basically the SSX/Pure model of doing tricks to get boost and then boosting to win. No complaints about the graphics, Bongfish has come a long way from the days of Stoked (as much as I loved those games). There are some neat little details like your avatar getting all dusty after a while of racing in the sand. Free roam is a lot of fun, just messing around for the fun of it is always my favorite part of these games (like the MX vs ATV games). Seems pretty easy so far, which is fine with me. All in all I think for $10 it's a good buy, it's certainly worth trying the demo.

antitrop

This is the first I've heard of this.

I cannot explain how incredibly disappointed I am that this is a cartoony looking XBLA title. I have fond memories of the original as a teen, as well as both Monster Truck Madness games.

It very well may be good, but it just reminds me of something that could be great.

Never forget, before there was Xbox Live, there was the MSN Gaming Zone.

Lima

any consensus on this?

Terrible.

The graphics look cheap, the controls suck and the technical side is just plain wrong.

If you want a fun casual racing experience go buy Joy Ride Turbo. It looks good, plays well and is the same price as this.

Noogy

A bit floaty but I had fun with the demo (of course I'm a sucker for the franchise). Anyone know if it supports split-screen? The fact that they actually render the edges of the world as a bouncy wall thing made me smile.

Also I was rocking my Dust avatar and it was really surreal to see him in-game. Kind of neat if you are into avatar gear.

Finally, here's something I thought about after playing... I LOVE this series, but never enjoyed racing on tracks. I've always been about the open world. I actually sort of preferred track racing in this demo relative to the original games. I wish there was more open-world to try out in the demo, but you can see a lot of cool terrain locked off in the distance. I remain very hopeful, if I get time with the full game I'll post impressions.

clav

Will try the demo later.

Just watched the trailer.

Looks like Wii's Excite Truck but now with bikes and avatars.

dioxys

Is the free roam mode still available?
LOVED to just jump dunes and go as fast as i could in the original!

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the human cannonball after crossing the edge of the world!

derFeef

The real question is does this new one retain the Greatest Feature of the original?

ijdqnOAYAg4xl.gif

I love you. I did that the whole day...
And it sounds like it has?

Is the free roam mode still available?
LOVED to just jump dunes and go as fast as i could in the original!

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the human cannonball after crossing the edge of the world!
V
A bit floaty but I had fun with the demo (of course I'm a sucker for the franchise). Anyone know if it supports split-screen? The fact that they actually render the edges of the world as a bouncy wall thing made me smile.

Also I was rocking my Dust avatar and it was really surreal to see him in-game. Kind of neat if you are into avatar gear.

Finally, here's something I thought about after playing... I LOVE this series, but never enjoyed racing on tracks. I've always been about the open world. I actually sort of preferred track racing in this demo relative to the original games. I wish there was more open-world to try out in the demo, but you can see a lot of cool terrain locked off in the distance. I remain very hopeful, if I get time with the full game I'll post impressions.

The hell is this?

A variation of port begging, which I assume is no longer banned considering just how much port begging seems to go on these days.

Anyway, currently downloading this. Hope it's at least decent and manages to stir some memories of the old MM.

That gif is indeed a major blast from the past. Wow.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
can you only drive around as avatars?

ugh

hate games that force avatar usage

looks dumb in a game like this
You can buy full MX clothing early on and you'd never notice they were avatars then.

Also recommend buying the Raptor bike ASAP. It is so much better than the default. A lot more sensitive.

It's great to see Microsoft bringing back some of their old IPs.
I hope this is a sign of things to come for next gen.

Tried the demo, liked it a lot.
Everything about the gameplay reminds me of Pure, expect with bikes and tighter controls. I can see myself having a lot of fun in the exploration mode.

So according to a review I read, you can unlock the ability to punch other racers off their bike a la Road Rash...

Oh look; $10 just disappeared and flew into my Xbox! :]

Not buying, it has to much of a Joy Ride feel to it, not that Joy Ride is a bad game but I bought it thinking I would play it much more then I have

A fun, slightly more arcadey version of MXM. Though I wish it were 60fps, it is a consistent 30 and boasts some pretty nifty blending craziness with all of the atmospheric effects and dust/smoke (hold both brake and throttle and steer to one side and do some donuts for a while in sand or dirt)...maybe the most impressive on X360 outside of Alan Wake. Great fun in two-player splitscreen, too. Only the texture pop really to complain too much about other than some finicky collisions and stuck-points on steeper inclines buttressing a vertical face, such as fence or other standing geometry. Nothing a little nitro-boosting or respawn function can't fix. The world maps, and there are three that are available at the start, and maybe that's all there is at the moment, but I haven't finished any of them yet. The Exploration mode is where you're hunting coins and skull collectibles across the maps and there's the standard racing mode composed of your standard climb to the top with racing against an AI field of racers. Haven't touched online yet. Tricks are fun, like a standard set of controls and some stick control over them. More trick abilities and moves are unlocked as you level up doing anything in the game along with a store for spending points earned for your GT/avatar. Maps could stand to be larger, but they're plenty dense with interesting terrain and jump possibilities.

Thanks, I was about to ask that myself. It's a dealbreaker.

"Oh hey, you can ride up the wall lol, let's see what's bey--*BOOM*"

I just spent the entire five minute exploration trial driving into walls. So good.

Bought it as soon as the trial ended. Will hopefully be able to dedicate some time to the SP and unlock the various goodies over the weekend. Couple of issues, controls aren't as good as I remember the original MCM being and bloody hell at the texture pop in.

Goddamn. It's horrendous. what the hell.

The real question is does this new one retain the Greatest Feature of the original?

ijdqnOAYAg4xl.gif

Yeah it's in there, not to that extreme but it will launch you well into the map again and you will get 10+ seconds of air time from it.

When I first started to play this version I was thinking "uh just another avatar racer but it's fun" but after a while you do notice things which are kept just like the originals, such as the explosive walls around each huge stage, the timed stunt mode FFA, a good mix of stunts to chain, and so on.

The developers did their homework for sure, it's not just the bikes and dirt which make it motorcross madness.

If anyone also needs some help getting the 2 bike club achievements, send me a friend request at: Loch Doun

No one on my friends list plays this game...

Not buying, it has to much of a Joy Ride feel to it, not that Joy Ride is a bad game but I bought it thinking I would play it much more then I have

Joy ride turbo? Because I really enjoyed that demo.

I initially wrote this off due to the avatars but I'll give it a shot due to the warm reception

I'm really digging this game, it really gives off a PURE lite type of vibe.

This and that Joy Ride game (non kinect ver.) are nice little surprises.

Up until today motocross madness would boot up and play without a problem, now every time I go to play it I get a black screen hang.

Why would it suddenly stop working? :/

I did want to finish up some achievements but I guess i'll leave it dead for now.

Either my Xbox is dying or this game has some of the worst load times in years.

How bad are we talking?

Up until today motocross madness would boot up and play without a problem, now every time I go to play it I get a black screen hang.

I did want to finish up some achievements but I guess i'll leave it dead for now.

That's crazy. It just won't boot?

You could try deleting it and redownloading.

raupe

Neo Member

Same problem here. It started occuring after I won a medal on all events. Now I need 3 or 4 tries to start the game.

Top Bottom