• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

I just watched some Daytona quali. What a pointless exercise that was. It's fine, even great at other tracks, but this was just a lottery as Kurt said. This is just the beginning too. I think the stupidity goes up another notch at Talladega.

Jibbed

Pretty neat.

I was just looking at BUKC's website, and that's a cool setup with it being open to university students for flat fees. It looks popular and I can see why.

Yeah, it's ran by Club 100 which in itself is pretty much what you just described, but for the general public.

They have a discounted rate for the BUKC which - paired with some generous funding from Student Unions - enables us to go racing for cheap! Proper student atmosphere with all the usual messing around, easily the highlight of my time here.

Yeah, it's ran by Club 100 which in itself is pretty much what you just described, but for the general public.

They have a discounted rate for the BUKC which - paired with some generous funding from Student Unions - enables us to go racing for cheap! Proper student atmosphere with all the usual messing around, easily the highlight of my time here.

Oh, so students get further discounts too? That's wicked. "Racing for cheap" now that's a phrase you don't hear too often! It sounds like a great program.

thefro

Chevrolet reveals their 2015 IndyCar road course/short oval Aero Kit

D0bK6Sn.jpg

VVdqCaY.jpg

Chevy PR said:
The new Chevy road course aero configuration delivers greater aerodynamic performance than the previous design.

"This new aero kit provides Chevrolet drivers the capability to enter and exit corners faster, while maintaining high speeds on the straights," said Chris Berube, Chevrolet IndyCar program manager.

Development of Chevrolet's new IndyCar aero package consisted of nine key phases:

• Conducted baseline analysis of the "DW12" racecar aerodynamics
• Established clear design goals for the new aero kit, which included making the most of downforce, drag and engine performance
• Developed design concepts using computer-aided design (CAD)
• Analyzed structural properties, using finite element analysis (FEA)
• Simulated aerodynamic properties using computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
• Produced test parts using rapid prototyping processes, such as 3D printing
• Conducted testing of a 50-percent scale model in a rolling–road wind tunnel
• Conducted testing of a full-scale racecar in a rolling-road wind tunnel
• Conducted track testing of prototype aero kit on select race tracks, including Homestead-Miami Speedway, Circuit of The Americas (Austin, Texas), Texas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway.

"We took a clean-sheet approach to the aero kit, delivering an optimized and efficient design that should really give our Chevrolet teams an edge," said Berube.

The road course configuration's changes over the 2014 DW12 aero package are easily identified by major components, including:

• Front wing that features new pedestal-mounted "front uppers" toward the outer edges
• New sculpted "wheel wedges" in front of the rear tires
• An engine cover and side pods that have more compact shapes, achieved through a revised turbocharger and exhaust system layout
• New larger rear bumper pods
• A multi-element upper rear wing, along with louvered end plates.

The all-new Chevrolet racecars will compete for the first time on March 29 at the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, Fla.

Edit; here's a comparison pic against the original car with the "stock" Dallara DW-12 kit on the bottom
F9qdIRR.jpg

Arcticfox

Thanks for the update. Almost forgot about the race. While not the best track for the trucks, I have been enjoying their races more than the Cup series recently.

A mod should really update the year in the title.

Chris R

Nice race. So glad to have NASCAR back.

And while Kurt is a hot head for sure I'm going to wait for all the info to come out before throwing him under the hauler

dubc35

A mod should really update the year in the title.

I'm the OP so I could change the title but it would be better to create a new OT. I can create one but I don't have any time to add any content in the OP, like nothing. If someone wants to create a new OT, or a "non-year" OT (since we never get to OT 2 in a single year) that could work too. Most of us have been hanging out in this thread but it could be a good chance to get some new users in with a new OT for the new year.

Vicious

The Xfinity Series race at Daytona is about to start. What a horrible name for a series. :/

Yeah, really. At least you can always refer to the other series as either Cup or Truck no matter what the sponsor is. Harder for this series.

B.K.

Yeah, really. At least you can always refer to the other series as either Cup or Truck no matter what the sponsor is. Harder for this series.

It's always going to be the Busch Series to me. I wonder who will be the sponsor for the Cup Series next year.

B.K.

I'm not citing a source. Just saying that's what it looked like to me when they were strapping up his leg on the stretcher.

I see. I didn't see the wreck or anything after that. I was listening to the radio and didn't hear about that.

B.K.

They really need safer barriers on every wall at Daytona and Talladega. You can get away without having it on every wall at a small place like Martinsville, but there's no reason not to have them everywhere at the biggest tracks on the circuit.

B.K.

Kyle is out of the Daytona 500.

NEWS: @KyleBusch is awake and alert and undergoing treatment for a right leg injury. He will not participate in tomorrow's DAYTONA 500.

B.K.

NASCAR just had a press conference about today's events. I got in at the end as the guy was thanking everyone and leaving, but Marty Smith on Twitter said that they announced that Daytona will be putting SAFER Barriers up on every inch of wall on the track.

Edit: They're installing the barrier where Kyle wrecked right now.

B.K.

Reading on Twitter right now that ESPN's sources are saying he has a compound fracture in his leg that's going to require metal plates to be put in and he may miss five to six months.

B.K.

NASCAR updated their Twitter:

NEWS: @KyleBusch has sustained a right lower leg compound fracture and left mid-foot fracture. A return date has not yet been determined.

B.K.

It would be interesting if this would lead to owners and sponsors lobbying NASCAR to ban Cup drivers from racing in lower tier series.

I'm just seeing this now. Jeez, I'm honestly shocked there weren't safer barriers there. I wasn't super impressed with piece of wall Biffle hit last weekend either.

Six months, ugh. Gibbs looks primed for a good year too. It could have been a great year for Kyle.

Pryce

I'm glad it didn't take a death for them to add safer barriers around the track. Too bad it took a driver to break their leg.

Pathetic.

Top Bottom