• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

B.K.

Wasn't Earnhardt's death the impetus for safer barriers in the first place?

Yeah. Mandating the HANS device, mandating closed face helmets, installing SAFER Barriers and the Gen. 5 and 6 cars were all the result of Dale Earnhardt's death. If he hadn't died, we wouldn't have any of them.

Yeah. Mandating the HANS device, mandating closed face helmets, installing SAFER Barriers and the Gen. 5 and 6 cars were all the result of Dale Earnhardt's death. If he hadn't died, we wouldn't have any of them.
It sucks all this tech pretty much existed it was just takes a death to make it obvious why it is needed.

TJP

anyone watch the SBK races at Phillip Island? bonkers!
Yes.

Fantastic racing in the SBK class! Two excellent races that only a fast & flowing circuit can provide 8) It was also great to see 3 manufacturers seperated by only a few tenths...can't wait for a few twisty tracks and then we'll see if the Ducati is up to the task as the race winners sure are. I was also very happy to see
MV Augusta
get a win in WSS. I hope
Camier
does a great job during the season to bring the SBK class machine up to front running spec too.

If anyone was wondering about Troy Bayliss - his results had NOTHING to do with fading due to a lack of fitness. Fox Sports Australia talked to Bayliss after the second race (an aside - you could see a very happy
Rea
walking past) and Troy stated he was really pissed off. The reason for his fading during the second part of both races was blistered tyres. After race one, the Ducati team raised the rear ride height and softened the rear suspension and the tyres still went off. Bayliss went back out in race two to prove he could match the pace of the front runners and he did just that.

I think he did a splendid job for a guy who'd not raced an SBK level machine since 2008, on a bike he'd not ridden until Friday morning and after a highside. The question is with Davide Giuliano out for at least 90 days, will Bayliss opt to ride in Thailand? He said no in the interview but given he could get a few weeks of testing in for Ducati, get to know the bike and ride a circuit no one else has seen before.

I'd love to see it happen as would Kevin Magee and Steve Martin who did the coverage for Fox Sports Australia.

Jezbollah

The new EVO rules certainly helped the racing at PI. Great results for those on both podiums. The Supersport race was great too - wait until they get their rules changes - it'll be nuts.

TJP

The new EVO rules certainly helped the racing at PI. Great results for those on both podiums. The Supersport race was great too - wait until they get their rules changes - it'll be nuts.
Yep, the new rules are making some great racing happen. Let's hope it continues throughout the season.

Did you happen to run the Colin Edwards fan forum?

Jezbollah

INice one. I remember getting 'the good oil' from Colin Snr's posts. I presume with Colin's retirement, the forum was shut down as well?

Yep, pretty much - to be honest the forum was suffering from lack of activity due to both social media and the likes of reddit, plus CE's lack of competitiveness since leaving Tech 3. A lot of the old posters are over at /r/motogp now.

TJP

Yep, pretty much - to be honest the forum was suffering from lack of activity due to both social media and the likes of reddit, plus CE's lack of competitiveness since leaving Tech 3. A lot of the old posters are over at /r/motogp now.
Thanks for the heads up. I occassionally visit the Motobanzai forums to read some of the forum regulars opinions too - grizzly bastards ;)

Chris R

Hey look, another week another driver into a wall not protected by the SAFER barrier.

Maybe Gordon should push for a Driver's Union when he retires and run for president.

Shaneus

Please, someone tell me this idiot was banned for life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlX02WcQa4E
What an absolute dickhead. I thought he was being semi-courteous when he opened the door, but it was to have a go at him and not check he was okay. Absolute fuckstick, hope he never gets in a car again.

Edit:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/01/fane-hit-with-10k-fine-following-utes-crash/

Edit #2:
From the guy's FB:
G8XKrEk.jpg

A mate at work thought the overtake might've fucked with his steering a bit, but you can see there's practically zero damage near the front wheel. Guy's a complete douchebag. Not to mention how unsafe it is to exit your car during a fucking race.

2015 R18 e-tron quattro filmed while testing at Sebring: Part 1, Part 2

They should just keep the testing livery once the season starts; the car looks wicked in black.

In other news, Jim Glickenhaus reportedly wants to run an LMP1 at Le Mans in 2017. Make it so. I've got nothing but the utmost respect for the guy, and would love to see a car of his make the grid.

B.K.

It's going to be another boring Jimmie Johnson day at Las Vegas. Why couldn't he have been the one to break a leg at Daytona instead of Kyle Busch?

TylerD

It's going to be another boring Jimmie Johnson day at Las Vegas. Why couldn't he have been the one to break a leg at Daytona instead of Kyle Busch?

Maybe not BK! I miss the ESPN team and don't like the FOX announcing crew now. Hopefully, NBC will be better.

dubc35

Anyone follow Pirelli World Challenge at all?

http://www.world-challengetv.com/

Some great GT racing. Circuit of the Americas this weekend.

Live streaming going on still.
Crap, I thought that was yesterday! I thought I missed it so I didn't look for it today.

edit, cross posting from auto-gaf. It doesn't necessarily fit into Motorsports-gaf but oh well

thefro

Honda's new IndyCar Aero Kit is pretty nuts

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/1...n#!DW12_HJ3_Silver_Livery_RC_ZPSide_000012_SM

B_soLSMVAAANvBt.jpg:large

Delving into Honda's bodywork, the "RC/SO" (Chevy uses the same RC/SO designation for their kit) features a front wing package that is by far the most complex aerodynamic system ever fitted to an Indy car. Using the base Dallara front wing element as the starting point, Honda loaded each side of the nose with three exceptionally long and tall cascade elements. The cascade array serves as a downforce-producing deflector that significantly blocks the face of each front tire, and in another notable departure from the Chevy kit, the inside of those cascade elements lack an endplate. The five exposed element tips allow Honda's front wing package to generate vortices, which help to concentrate the air flowing off of them while generating additional downforce.
Where the Chevy kit uses a single element that stands tall on a post mounted on the outer edge of the front mainplane, Honda has taken a more aggressive approach by fitting a tall outer and inner endplate that features five wing elements that sit in front of each tire. That system also acts like a ramp to divert air over the tires.
Altogether, and based on what Honda is willing to show the public (and Chevy) a week prior to its official debut at Barber Motorsports Park, 17 wing elements are packed onto the front of the car. With some of the additional aero kit options teams are allowed to use, and with an understanding that both manufacturers have likely kept some components hidden until their cars hit the track at Barber next Monday, more elements and other components could be seen.
Beneath the cascade elements, two strakes can be seen, and a Gurney flap is also present on the outer edges of the top elements to extract air from beneath the wing array. That Gurney is almost capped by a fence on those upper elements. Moving down to the front wing endplates, a gap is maintained between the inner portion of the endplate and the top cascade elements that bend down and attach to the main plane to further accelerate and extract air headed out and around the front tires.
Honda's front wing package could cause fans to stop and spend 30 minutes trying to sort out how all of the curves and shapes work together in an integrated manner to produce staggering amounts of downforce.
Chevy Honda AK Comparo Sidepod InletMoving back to the sidepods, Honda has also taken a different approach to their design than Chevy. Chevy separated their sidepods from the rear wheel ramps, giving air a chance to flow around the sides and between the gearbox and rear wheels, Honda has gone with full-length sidepods that extend out to the rear tires. In place of the familiar ramps that send air over the top of the drag-producing tires, Honda has taken an opportunity to achieve the same effect with a pair of wing elements, adding more downforce to the aero kit. In place of Chevy's flow conditioner that sits atop each sidepod, Honda uses a set of smaller ramps can be found on the side of the sidepods, and they appear to pull air from the opening in the floor and divert it up toward the bigger ramps. Chevy's use of a wide, rectangular radiator inlet profile is different than the more closed and rounded inlet on Honda's kit, and at the back of the sidepods, exit ducting of some sorts is shown beneath the big tire ramp elements. A channel can also be seen on top of the sidepods adjacent to the rear tire ramps that allows air to be drawn down into the flow.
Honda's engine cover uses the overhead air intake to feed its twin-turbo V6 engine, meaning both manufacturers have opted for this solution, yet the similarities end there. Chevy's engine cover makes an immediate downhill run after the roll hoop, while Honda's heads straight back a considerable distance before angling downwards. Honda has also added a narrow fin to the spine of its engine cover to provide yaw stability – a similar, albeit compact version of the fin found on LMP1 and LMP2 sports cars.
Chevy Honda AK Comparo Rear Wheel GuardsThe final section of Honda's aero kit features a downforce-dripping take on the rear wheel guards and rear wing. Using the stock Dallara mainplane per the aero kit rules, Honda has added two elements and massive endplates to the back of the car, and at least in these renderings, the endplates are not vented like the Chevy kit. The rear wheel guards also show a different line of thinking as the Honda's are relatively flat on top and sport two dihedral wing elements – effectively extending the width of the rear wing. The Chevy, in their renderings, use one element, and the wheel guards are more rounded.
Honda has gone about its treatment of air flowing through the wheel guards in a different manner as well, with slots and rectangular openings made at the rear of the units.
Combined, more than 100 individual pieces comprise Honda's aero kit. The changes are so significant the nose of each Honda Indy car now carries the official red "H" badge.

Edit: Here's Hunter-Reay's car so you can see a real car with a livery on it
B_stmwLUwAAefm0.jpg:large

B_stbLgU0AA9E5y.jpg:large

Parch

Honda's new IndyCar Aero Kit is pretty nuts
That front wing is bizarre. The testing done to come up with that config must have been intense. It's probably going to be a significant change to the downforce when that contraption gets destroyed. And because it's so damn big it's going to get crunched a lot.

Evidently it adds 1500 lbs of downforce over the stock DW12 aero.

If it's measured the same way (@200mph), that's around a 30% increase. I wonder how much the drag has gone up.

I really hope they know what they're doing. Writing the rules to allow for winglets on every conceivable surface has me very worried that they don't. If they've spent all this money to only get super aero-sensitive cars in return, that would be a disaster.

If that doesn't turn out to be the case, then great. I'm not keen on the looks, but I'll get over that pretty quickly.

Dave_6

They're having an open test Monday the 16th at Barber and I'm going to try to go if I can get off work. Get to see these new aero kits in person.

Chris R

Also, anyone seen Indy at Texas?
Fort
Worth it? I'd probably try to get the NASCAR Truck Race in as well if I'm able to go.

caramac

I really hope that some of you caught the MotoGP race just now.

It was fucking fantastic.

Indeed it was.

Vale rode an unbelievable race, and it was good to see the Ducati back up there.
Put the Honda's in the mix and it looks as though we could have some good close racing this season.

thefro

IndyCar race at St. Pete about to start.

Power set the new track record, beating the old Champ Car one by a third of a second. Will be interesting to see how the aero kit imapct the racing today.

Top Bottom