• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
There's a Mr. Robot panel going on at NYCC today, with Elliot, Mr. Robot, Darlene, Tyrell, Angela, and Sam Esmail all present. Some stuff will presumably come out of it in regards to season 2.

Some pics from social media:
CQ5GJnzUAAAHouU.jpg:large

CQ5YAT5UkAQUSwu.jpg:large

-griffy-

Banned
Panel happening now, being moderated by Andy Greenwald:
CQ54nS9WsAEFHV8.jpg

The Mr. Robot twitter seems to be posting updates/quotes from the panel. Hopefully we get a video of it later.

Two choice ones right off the bat:
"I didn't want them to get caught up in the reveal. I wanted them to get caught up in Elliot." - @samthemovie #MrRobot #NYCC

"He's coming back." - @samthemovie on #MrRobot. #NYCC

EDIT:
CQ6FWYXUAAAMJBZ.jpg:large

Marathon'd the season today because my brother forced me to and holy shit this show is good.

As much as I liked it, I couldn't shake the feeling that a lot of the characters and their storylines were just filler.

cackhyena

Finally watched the last two episodes last night. Holy shit, what a show!

My mind is still thrown through a loop about the Tyrell stuff at the end. The only theory I've had so far, is when we see Tyrell in the apartment, putting the gloves on, it's actually the last time we've seen the real living Tyrell, and the Tyrell we see at arcade isn't real. It's just because the transition was so jarring between those two scenes, and if I remember correctly, Tyrell looked right where the gun in the popcorn was, making me think he's part of Elliot's mind.

However, I don't think my theory above clicks with some other stuff, the conversation with Joanna being one, so it's probably not quite right.
I only just caught up with the show last night. Definitely my favorite of the year, by far. You mention the gun in the popcorn. Am I misremembering? I thought Darlene put it in there.

Nothus

For any one that has Amazon Prime (UK) this is now on Prime.

Wow, all three subscribers are in for a hell of a treat!

Seriously though, is this going to be the only UK outlet for this show? I've been telling my friends about it for ages but I don't know a single person who actually subscribes to Prime.

Amazon Prime UK has recently added season one and I binge watched it last week.

It is amazing and I've already convinced a few colleagues and friends to check it out.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So I'm thinking Tyrell and Elliot both met at a mental institution and Tyrell's wife knows this. She's been manipulating both of them.

-BLITZ-

Oh man, I jumped a bit when I notice the title at page one, then I knew something is up. I had to see.

But this takes the cake. I would love to see something like this to happen, although I do think the series is about present human society and it will focus most at this along the way with Elliot dad tragedy. Still, the hole presentation put in about Evil Corp in each episode, to be center of attention, no by dad tragic event, but by what Evil Corp really might be. It gives me the feeling that something dark is hidden inside the walls ready to be shown in series two; to what was described with Back to the Future.

Lego Boss

I like this show a lot, but my wife can't get into it, yet she is the binge-viewer par excellence.

It's really perturbing for me.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So I just finished watching the first season and my mind is rushing right now. I got a few questions:

Is there hint of what happened to Tyrell?
Why did Elliot said to Joanna he's name was Ollie? It's the name of Angela's boyfriends, isn't it? He was Ollie the whole season?
Why we never know what happened to Elliot's mother? And why Darlene and Angela seemed so closed in that chillhood house episode? Where they supposed to be friends the same way Elliot and Angela where?
The final scene is supposed to tell us that the CEO of E Corp orchestrated the whole thing with WhiteRose help?

Patryn

So I just finished watching the first season and my mind is rushing right now. I got a few questions:

Is there hint of what happened to Tyrell?

Not really.

Why did Elliot said to Joanna he's name was Ollie? It's the name of Angela's boyfriends, isn't it? He was Ollie the whole season?

No, he was not Ollie the whole time. He could tell that she was being suspicious, he doesn't know what happened to Tyrell, so he gave her a fake name. The first name that came to him was Ollie. Simple as that. Just lying to her.

Why we never know what happened to Elliot's mother?

The show hasn't chosen to tell us yet. I'm sure at some point we'll learn what her deal is.

And why Darlene and Angela seemed so closed in that chillhood house episode? Where they supposed to be friends the same way Elliot and Angela where?

From the sounds of things, they weren't friends like Elliot and Angela were. However, they made clear that this isn't the first breakdown that Elliot has had, and Darlene has relied on Angela for help bringing him back.

So basically, they're just people that have known each other since they were kids.

The final scene is supposed to tell us that the CEO of E Corp orchestrated the whole thing with WhiteRose help?

That's not how I read the scene. I read that White Rose is playing a much larger game. He's being friendly with the CEO but also making moves to destabilize him.

It's basically pointing out that the whole thing was really just the super rich manipulating things in a battle between themselves. Odds are that White Rose was trying to knock down the CEO of E Corp to benefit himself.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
That's not how I read the scene. I read that White Rose is playing a much larger game. He's being friendly with the CEO but also making moves to destabilize him.

It's basically pointing out that the whole thing was really just the super rich manipulating things in a battle between themselves. Odds are that White Rose was trying to knock down the CEO of E Corp to benefit himself.

Thanks a lot for the answers.
About this last one though, I don't know. The whole dialog he had with Angela about not to worry plus this end scene all felt like he knew about the whole thing. But your point of view also makes a lot of sense.
We'll have to wait and see.

Patryn

Thanks a lot for the answers.
About this last one though, I don't know. The whole dialog he had with Angela about not to worry plus this end scene all felt like he knew about the whole thing. But your point of view also makes a lot of sense.
We'll have to wait and see.

I read it not that he knew about it, but that he knew that it wasn't going to bring him down. E Corp could fall, but he'd be fine, because he's part of this super rich that are above all this petty drama.

nortonff

I read it not that he knew about it, but that he knew that it wasn't going to bring him down. E Corp could fall, but he'd be fine, because he's part of this super rich that are above all this petty drama.
Yeah I got it like that as well. Loved the character, real cold guy lol.

Is there a full soundtrack of the show anywere?

Season 1 just wrapped up in Canada last night. Loved it. Can't wait for S2. (Hopefully without the pointless Canadian delay this time. Trudeau, save us.)

Beefy

Wow, all three subscribers are in for a hell of a treat!

Seriously though, is this going to be the only UK outlet for this show? I've been telling my friends about it for ages but I don't know a single person who actually subscribes to Prime.

Amazon Prime UK is probably as good as Netflix UK. Netflix UK only has a few exclusives due to Sky buying them all up. Amazon have shows that air the same time as the US (like Vikings) that are seasons ahead of Sky etc.

Answer to your question I haven't a clue.

nortonff

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but I found what Joanna says to Elliot in Danish on the last episode that isn't subtitled:

"Hvis du har gjort ham noget, så slår jeg dig ihjel."

that means:

"If you have done something to him, I will kill you."

From IMDb.

I started watching this show yesterday morning when I couldn't sleep, and am now 3 episodes in. I can't wait to watch more; it's amazing and is now one of my favourite shows.

Rami Malek is great, but he's been good in everything I've seen him in, including Until Dawn, which he was one of my favourites in.

Portia Doubleday...is smoking hot. The neighbour is cute, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Amazon Prime UK is probably as good as Netflix UK. Netflix UK only has a few exclusives due to Sky buying them all up. Amazon have shows that air the same time as the US (like Vikings) that are seasons ahead of Sky etc.

Answer to your question I haven't a clue.

Even if it's Amazon Prime exclusive, can't they just buy the season for $22 or however much in UK Pounds and have all the episodes day-and-date that way?

nortonff

Just finished the show. Binged on it this whole week. Goddamn this show is good.

So good I started watching it again. Never did that before.

- Deadline: 'Mr. Robot' Creative Team Talk Style, As Writers Return For Season 2 & 24-Hour Marathon Fires Up
The writers from Mr. Robot have officially headed back to the writers room to hammer out season 2 of the USA Network show. While fans are waiting, they can catch the 24-hour Mr. Robot Marathon before New Year’s Eve, beginning on Tuesday, Dec. 29 at 11PM and ending Wednesday at Dec. 30 at 11pm. The marathon starts with the commercial free pilot and ends with commercial-free episodes #7-#10 running from approximately 7:45pm-11pm.

The news was announced at USA Network’s Mr. Robot cross guild event Wednesday night in Los Angeles, a panel which included series creator/writer/director Sam Esmail, stars Christian Slater (Mr. Robot) and Rami Malek (schizophrenic hacker Elliot Alderson), as well as music composer Mac Quayle, costume designer Kim Wilcox and editor Franklin Peterson.
In forging an avant garde style on the show from its skewed camera angles to its dramatic sound, Esmail says that when he assembled his crafts team, “My prerequisite for hiring these guys was that they were a little off, and not completely stable.” Esmail referred to how his D.P. Tod Campbell was right for the job since he wanted to prioritize the weird shots on A camera, not B.

From a blurred coffee cup in the back of a shot, to a uber hack White Rose’s wizard black-and-white brick pants suit, “There’s a 20 minute conversation behind their meaning” said Esmail about his conversations with Wilcox and production designer Stephen Beatrice.

Music, which can span from Quayle’s techno metallic score to classical pieces like Shostakovich’s “Suite For Variety Stage Orchestra,” is the primary building block to stringing scenes. While most editors refuse to cut to it, it’s Peterson’s compass. Esmail has worked with the editor since his feature directorial debut Comet, prizing him for his vast knowledge of tunes.

Esmail pointed to the scene of Elliot discovering Shayla’s body, as one where the pulsing sound design melts with the pounding bass to complement the hacker’s fierce, bitter reaction.

“There’s this convention with music, that it’s suppose to be a bed, that it’s not suppose to overpower except when there’s a big dramatic scene,” explains Esmail, “I hate that. It’s terrible: you’re squandering a terrific opportunity to create atmosphere.”

It’s that creative attitude to push back against the norm, that has given Mr. Robot its signature as an edgy noir. In fact, it’s the score that pushes other below-the-line elements to the top of their games.

Said Esmail, “I told everyone that the music has to be really loud. And when you say that, it forces everyone to get creative — the dialogue mixers,the sound design and Foley.”
More via the link.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Episode 5:
How could Elliot be so stupid to take a picture that gave such a big hint he was the one who took it, in regards to the gun photo with the pill container? Is this just showing that while he's computer smart, he lacks that type of observation?

Tamanon

Banned
Episode 5:
How could Elliot be so stupid to take a picture that gave such a big hint he was the one who took it, in regards to the gun photo with the pill container? Is this just showing that while he's computer smart, he lacks that type of observation?

If I had to guess, it's that he held him in such disdain that he didn't even see it as a mistake, but more gloating.

-griffy-

Banned
Mr. Robot pulling in the noms. Rami Malek got a Best Actor nom from SAG, and the Golden Globes just announced:

Best TV Series, Drama
Empire
Game of Thrones
Mr. Robot
Narcos
Outlander

Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Rami Malek, Mr. Robot
Wagner Moura, Narcos
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited Series or TV Movie
Alan Cumming, The Good Wife
Damian Lewis, Wolf Hall,
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
Tobias Menzies, Outlander
Christian Slater, Mr. Robot

wow, this show came out of the nowhere for me! And sucked me right in! I'm loving this, great premise and very modern. Although stuff sometimes get's a little too real for me :-/

This really redeemed my Amazon subscription here because the
bastards
decided to not release Transparent in Germany until January 11th. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom