• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

awp69

The associate producer of this show is a classmate of mine. She almost spoiled to me the fate of Tyrell. I was super curious....but I can wait....smh.

Damn. I want to know. But just tell her to start filming season two now so we can find out ASAP. I am running out of good TV to watch and don't need to wait another 9-10 months!

Just finished the final episode.....WOW what a show. Angela is the fucking worst. But perhaps it was the writing in that her character did a complete 180.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just finished the final episode.....WOW what a show. Angela is the fucking worst. But perhaps it was the writing in that her character did a complete 180.

because in real life, money > morals for most people

I loved that

Gastone

Just finished watching the last episode. What a total trainwreck of an ending. Overall a great show, with good performances all around. Loved the soundtrack

tmdorsey

Why do people seem to be ignoring the possibility that Angela is more than likely taking Colby's advice and trying to take down E Corp from the inside and at the same time making some much needed money?

Munin

How do people seriously think this? It was made incredibly obvious that idea is that she is going to try to sabotage Evilcorp from within

Gideon interacts with both characters in an individually distinct manner. From Gideon's point of view, elliot is mutually exclusive with Tyrell.

The show making them the same person fundamentally subverts the nature of the writing and unreliable narrator plot device with a petty contrivance that adds little to nothing to the overarching story.

Yea, making them the same character would completely subvert the show for me. There are just too many instances where it wouldn't make sense. When the CTO/Tyrell visits Allsafe early on, I think he would have noticed one of his right hand men working for their cyber security contractor.

There's also the scene near the very end of the season with Tyrell's wife asking Elliott if she could help him and telling him that she just talked to Tyrell on the phone.

UrbanRats

Why do people seem to be ignoring the possibility that Angela is more than likely taking Colby's advice and trying to take down E Corp from the inside and at the same time making some much needed money?
What does "taking them down from the inside" even mean, when talking about a corporation that big? She isn't even an hacker that could actually do something, she's PR.
What, she's gonna climb the ranks to CEO or something?

She's probably going to be privy to all kinds of fucked up shit E-Corp has done and is doing and if she can obtain proof of it she becomes a whistle blower.

Whether the masses or anyone will care or not is up for speculation.

tmdorsey

^^^Right. It seems like she's going to be pretty closely tied to the CEO, so it's not unlikely she might hear something or see something incremidating to the company.

UrbanRats

She's probably going to be privy to all kinds of fucked up shit E-Corp has done and is doing and if she can obtain proof of it she becomes a whistle blower.

Whether the masses or anyone will care or not is up for speculation.

The point is that even if she manages to find some dirt on one or 10 guys, another 10 will take their place.
They sold Ecorp as a monolithic, immense corporation, it'd take something cataclysmic to take it down.
And this is assuming they would be so utterly stupid, to let her even get in range of anything remotely incriminating, given that they know full well who she is.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What does "taking them down from the inside" even mean, when talking about a corporation that big? She isn't even an hacker that could actually do something, she's PR.
What, she's gonna climb the ranks to CEO or something?

Find compromising information?

Hieberrr

I just marathoned the entire season. I feel stupid because I still have no idea why Elliot did all of this. I have no idea where Tyrell went and what happened to him. I have no idea why Elliot's sister was in on this. I have no idea why the CEO was so close to Angela.

WAT

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guys, guys, wha if...
What if this series is the prequel...

To Dark Angel? o_O

I think I mentioned something like that with Orphan Black once. Nah, it takes place "today", at this point the "pulse" happened six years ago on Dark Angel.

Yeah, correct. Even then this is set in New York and Dark Angel is in Seattle. Besides this is focusing on "E"vil Corp right now and there is no mention of a Manticore.

CoolOff

I'm having such a hard time with Slater after only having seen him recently on Archer.

I keep expecting him to say "No, it's just Slater. It's a mononym, like..."

valeo

I just marathoned the entire season. I feel stupid because I still have no idea why Elliot did all of this. I have no idea where Tyrell went and what happened to him. I have no idea why Elliot's sister was in on this. I have no idea why the CEO was so close to Angela.

WAT

Did you watch the same show mate

Just binged the whole season in the past two days.

This show is fucking amazing. I dont even know where to start.

Kse4xK8.png

This sequence. my god.

wildfire

Banned
It could be, her expression then may mean she just was mad at herself for losing her cool. I still want to believe there's more to it than that.

Ultimately she sees Elliot as a threat. Her husband sort of told her about him but got biblical on her so it was hard to read who it was that she assumes led her husband astray and out of her control.

The observation that the Danish was a slip up is intrigueing. Personally I took it as a test of his allegiances but after the translation was revealed outside the show this makes more sense. That said, I feel she's too much an opportunist to simply not see potential value in Elliot.

One thing that I found odd that noone has mentioned in 40 pages is that when we see Mr. Robot alone that represents Elliot's blackout period. There was a moment were people were expressing concern that Elliot not remembering his past would be overused in Season 2 but one of season 1's building blocks was all about establishing in what context we should be aware of when Elliot is going to be missing critical information.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The best Joanna moment of the season was when she drinks the glass of wine when no one's looking at the dinner party.

I thought she was fake pregnant until you mentioned that and knowing she had a kid now. WTF.

I'm two episodes in and it's better than I expected. That guy with his dvd book is giving me Dexter vibes.

It's not going to turn into like a hack of the week type show, is it? Where every episode they perform some new elaborate hack?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Someone having a glass of wine when preggo is disgusting? I don't know how it works with pregnancies.
Maybe she's only having it every so often.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You can totally have a bit of wine every now and again when pregnant. It's not that big of a deal.

So, finally caught up on the rest of the season...

The portrayal of Elliott's illness isn't perfect, but it's close. Like a lot about this show. Some things in the last episode,
like the harsh noises when his delusion tore, the frame-jumping, and the desperate wondering of "What did I do?!"
hit really close to home.

I'm usually just irritated by schizophrenic characters in media, but watching Mr. Robot just made me so, so glad that
my delusions never appeared to be human. I never had to wonder if they were real.

This isn't how I planned to out myself. Wasn't even sure if I wanted to. But I really feel a need to point out what they did right here.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
This, paired with the music, was one of the best scenes of the season. Joanna going full mustache twirling villain is gonna be a sight to see.

Every time this thread updates I'm hoping it's a soundtrack release :(
The whole playlist is available on Spotify I think. Director himself curated it.

wenis

So, finally caught up on the rest of the season...

The portrayal of Elliott's illness isn't perfect, but it's close. Like a lot about this show. Some things in the last episode,
like the harsh noises when his delusion tore, the frame-jumping, and the desperate wondering of "What did I do?!"
hit really close to home.

I'm usually just irritated by schizophrenic characters in media, but watching Mr. Robot just made me so, so glad that
my delusions never appeared to be human. I never had to wonder if they were real.

This isn't how I planned to out myself. Wasn't even sure if I wanted to. But I really feel a need to point out what they did right here.

It's not necessarily Schizophrenia. I've heard the creator and Rami refer to what Elliot has as Dissassociative Identity Disorder many times. They've done a really great job in showing the effects of the disorder without getting too "Hollywood" with it. I've seen it first hand. I lived with an SO with DID for a few years and it's eerie and re-assuring to see it being handled with care and not just as a crutch.

spekkeh

Banned
Thought it was a cool show, will keep watching it, but it's a shame they stayed true to
Fight Club
. My wife predicted the plot twist somewhere in the second or third episode, and it was pretty clear from then on.

Tyrell and Joanna were amazing though.

Thought it was a cool show, will keep watching it, but it's a shame they stayed true to
Fight Club
. My wife predicted the plot twist somewhere in the second or third episode, and it was pretty clear from then on.

Tyrell and Joanna were amazing though.

It being predictable was intentional though and pretty much all of us missed the other thing because of it.

They shouldn't have even let angela anywhere near e corp. her taking that job is such a bizarre and rushed 180. That should have definitely been a second season plot

I'm pretty worried about season 2 as well tbh, I loved the first season. Came out as a huge surprise to me, but going the secret conspiring group route? That's not very interesting. We'll see
200.gif

Great ending. I was expecting the final arc of it to possibly show what happened but it looks like the mystery of it will be revealed next season. Can't wait for season 2, best show of 2015. I hear the Netflix show with Oberyn Martell is great from my sister. Some of you talking about tells me that will be my next new show to watch.

It's not necessarily Schizophrenia. I've heard the creator and Rami refer to what Elliot has as Dissassociative Identity Disorder many times. They've done a really great job in showing the effects of the disorder without getting too "Hollywood" with it. I've seen it first hand. I lived with an SO with DID for a few years and it's eerie and re-assuring to see it being handled with care and not just as a crutch.

Yeah, I've been told I have DID, I've also been told DID is a 'hollywood' name for schizophrenia. I've also been told that I was faking because I was presenting with DID symptoms.

I just use the name everyone knows, now.

Out of curiosity, did your SO see people, or something else?

I just started watching this-- in the middle of episode 2. This has been amazing so far. The direction, the acting, the complexities of the morals and the plot... I wish I'd been watching it as it aired.

soultron

Banned
The opening title card for episode 8 was the best intro sequence I've seen in a television show, given the context for past episodes' intro title cards and the actual plot at that moment. I said "holy shit" out loud.

wenis

Yeah, I've been told I have DID, I've also been told DID is a 'hollywood' name for schizophrenia. I've also been told that I was faking because I was presenting with DID symptoms.

I just use the name everyone knows, now.

Out of curiosity, did your SO see people, or something else?

The naming for the disorder has always been very wonky. For a long time it was presented as Schizophrenia even tho none of the symptoms are really about the voices in your head (even tho those are present too), then there was multiple personalities which was definitely on the cusp of being the correct verbiage but often used to dismiss someone for being overly emotional, but Dissassociative Identity Disorder is a recent development for those people with it and I think the term got popularized by that Showtime show (The United States of Tara? I think it was called) and now the disorder seems to be getting the attention and care it deserves.

And no she didn't. Not while we were together, it was a pretty unhealthy relationship and she relied on me to provide all the emotional support for her to get through her episodes and make sense of her alters and what they were trying to accomplish for her while she was asleep. She took some big personal steps while we were together (confronting her abusive father after 15 years of not seeing him, making her mother and step father finally acknowledge what she had and her coming to terms with the disorder herself), but at the end of the day I was more of a tool than a boyfriend so that ended pretty horribly.

I haven't talked to her since then, but from what I've gleaned through friends of friends she's got a therapist, a supportive fiancé and doing well now. That shit just takes time.

The naming for the disorder has always been very wonky. For a long time it was presented as Schizophrenia even tho none of the symptoms are really about the voices in your head (even tho those are present too), then there was multiple personalities which was definitely on the cusp of being the correct verbiage but often used to dismiss someone for being overly emotional, but Dissassociative Identity Disorder is a recent development for those people with it and I think the term got popularized by that Showtime show (The United States of Tara? I think it was called) and now the disorder seems to be getting the attention and care it deserves.

And no she didn't. Not while we were together, it was a pretty unhealthy relationship and she relied on me to provide all the emotional support for her to get through her episodes and make sense of her alters and what they were trying to accomplish for her while she was asleep. She took some big personal steps while we were together (confronting her abusive father after 15 years of not seeing him, making her mother and step father finally acknowledge what she had and her coming to terms with the disorder herself), but at the end of the day I was more of a tool than a boyfriend so that ended pretty horribly.

I haven't talked to her since then, but from what I've gleaned through friends of friends she's got a therapist, a supportive fiancé and doing well now. That shit just takes time.

Interesting. I'm glad you got away from it, frankly. Sounds pretty unbalanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom