• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
I believe they started shooting today, or at least are starting imminently. Social media has been active the past few days as cast has read through the scripts.

From Christian Slater:
Cbcbn73XEAEMqtG.jpg:large

Cck3OQhVIAQSe25.jpg:large

Ccp-b4XUMAATFoF.jpg:large

So once again they have the full season written before production even starts.

From Rami Malek, Elliot's complicated wardrobe:

SJRB

Gold Member
Watch Bill end up being White Rose's leader or some bizarre twist.

What about Gideon? I really liked him.

jett

D-Member
They're only just now shooting season 2? They sure are taking their time. Better than rushing it I guess.

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Mr. Robot Season 2 Promotes Two Series Regulars, Adds Recurring Cast.
The acclaimed USA Network drama has promoted Stephanie Corneliussen (who recently guested on Legends of Tomorrow) and Michael Cristofer to series regular status for the sophomore run, as Joanna Wellick and Phillip Price. They join the previously announced Grace Gummer, who will be playing an FBI agent investigating the Evil Corp. hack.'

Additionally, the rapper Joey Bada$$ and relative newcomer Chris Conroy have landed recurring roles, playing a neighborhood friend of Elliot’s and a new man in Joanna’s life, respectively.

Had a 12 hour flight. They had the entire first season of Mr. Robot on in-flight entertainment. Going to keep this spoiler free.

Goddamn, this show is amazing! I can't believe how well written and performed this show is. It's not insulting to the hacking community, while tackling a lot of "what if" scenarios of current digital life. Elliot's emotions are quite well justified by the end of the season, and everything he does or how he acts is scary on how grounded it is. Yes, there are quite a few tropes in this movie and some aspects are predictable, but it still keeps you on the edge from the intro to the outro. I love that there are a lot of side characters that impact his life and are being invested in gently. The way he deals with depression and loneliness is quite real. The way they dealt with his withdrawal was fucked up, and its quite honestly the best way to showcase it. The way the entire show is shot is inked in perfection, at times framing more of the environment than the characters on screen. The few twists were well handled, and the season ended in a very realistic fashion of the outcome of their actions. I love the occasional breaking of the fourth wall. There are a few characters that seem annoying but that's fucking life, you'll meet annoying people on the way. However, each character breaks down to flaws by the end of the show, and really redeems their personality.

I hope Season two focuses a lot more on the consequences of their actions rather than rewarding them. They clearly hinted on it a lot in season one that as rewarding the way was, bad things await.

Side note: I fucking love Rami Malek. I would hug him if I could.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Craig Robinson is without a doubt one of my favorite comedic actors working right now. Knee jerk reaction is that he's not a great fit for this show, but I'm hopeful that they'll use him well.

Has Craig Robinson played a non-comedic role recently? I can't remember him in one. Not that it's an issue, and plenty of other actors move from one to the other seamlessly. Just curious.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Has Craig Robinson played a non-comedic role recently? I can't remember him in one. Not that it's an issue, and plenty of other actors move from one to the other seamlessly. Just curious.

Who says his character isn't comedic? heh.

Zoe

Eh, Craig Robinson is one of those actors where all I see is him, not the role he's playing. I'd rather it not be a comedic role.

Wonder if Christian Slater brought him in through Spamalot :lol

- Deadline with a few tidbits on S2 from SXSW
- EW with a few more notes:
- Usually computer scenes in TV and movies are done with code or graphics digitally inserted onto a screen after shooting. But Malek had to type every line of code his character was typing to keep his performance authentic, and the code is vetted with tech experts. “Everyone who shoots a computer screen, it’s always using green screen,” Esmail said. “On top of that, they put bulls— in the screen which doesn’t make any sense.”

- Elliot’s voiceover to the audience was partly inspired by Esmail’s own self-chatter. “I’m going to reveal something personally about myself — I talk to myself,” Esmail said. “I don’t know how many people do that … and I love [voiceover in movies]. The cardinal rule rule of screenwriting for is never write [voiceover] and it’s a dumb rule. I came up with he idea that Elliott has a relationship with us.”

- Esmail is directing all 10 episodes in season 2, something the cast approves of. “I felt like I was doing my best work when he was around, and I think that goes for the rest of the cast and the crew,” Malek said. “He has such a distinct tone and vision. Nobody knows what’s going to happen in this [show] except Sam. You can bring in a guest director every week, but ultimately they can’t know as much as he does.”

- Though Slater, who won a Golden Globe for his supporting role on the show, was signed on for a second season, he began to worry while shooting the first round that he wasn’t going to return — particularly after filming the scene in a graveyard near after he’s revealed to be Elliot’s dead father. “[Slater] pulls me aside and asked, ‘Are you sure? Because I read this and it kinda feels like I’m done,’” Esmail recalls. Slater also recalled how traveling with Malek to the festival got rather amused reactions from fans, who sometimes shout “Mr. Robot!” or joke about whether he’s really there or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
- Usually computer scenes in TV and movies are done with code or graphics digitally inserted onto a screen after shooting. But Malek had to type every line of code his character was typing to keep his performance authentic, and the code is vetted with tech experts. “Everyone who shoots a computer screen, it’s always using green screen,” Esmail said. “On top of that, they put bulls— in the screen which doesn’t make any sense.”

I didn't know he actually typed the code in, but I thought it was known that everything he/Elliot uses has actual real-world software and applications that's done.

He also inserts the virus himself in the first episode while most people are thinking he's fighting it. I didn't even know that until USA pointed it out.

every time I see this thread bumped I get excited that the 2nd season is about to air or there's a trailer or something. Do we have a premiere date yet?

Nope. Don't expect it to air before mid-June, though.
You're talking about the new season not a trailer right? Do we even think they'll go in for a big trailer like HBO does or is it going to be little teases more in line with the usual USA fare

Also I'm totally okay with waiting till June for a new season. It'll be here before we know it and there's plenty of good tv between then and now. It's more likely the year wait for more Fargo that's going to drive me nuts

maxcriden

You're talking about the new season not a trailer right? Do we even think they'll go in for a big trailer like HBO does or is it going to be little teases more in line with the usual USA fare

Also I'm totally okay with waiting till June for a new season. It'll be here before we know it and there's plenty of good tv between then and now. It's more likely the year wait for more Fargo that's going to drive me nuts

Yes, sorry. :) I meant the new season. We could get an early online premiere again for buzz like they did with S1 but it's now got buzz surrounding it so I think it's less likely.

- A few more casting tidbits via Deadline:
Sandrine Holt (Fear The Walking Dead), Michael Maize (National Treasure: Book of Secrets), Dorothi Fox and Luke Robertson have booked recurring roles opposite Rami Malek in the upcoming second season of USA Network’s drama series Mr. Robot.

Holt will play Susan Jacobs,
an Evil Corp General Counsel who unsuspectingly fits into fsociety’s plans.
Maize is Lone Star,
a Texas native and an off-balanced associate of Ray (Craig Robinson).
Fox will play Nell
, the blunt, opinionated mother of core fsociety member, Romero (Ron Cephas Jones).
Robertson is RT,
a previous employee of Elliot’s (Malek) new confidant, Ray (Robinson), who’s known for his IT skills.

I've just binged watched this recently and now been able to go through the thread and see the reactions (especially where they mirror my own).

On the Tyrell/Elliot being the same person question, I rewatched the Steel Mountain episode and wanted to check what happened during their lunch together. I noticed that there were two plates on the table with food. Whilst it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Elliot-Tyrell could have ordered two plates whilst he sat at the table alone, it would be more reasonable to think they are two separate people.

I will have to rewatch the other episodes to check out the interactions between the characters.

It's a brilliant show. Best for me since Game of Thrones. I love the cinematography of it all; the disconcerting framing of the characters on the screen, crushing them against the sides. Malek is amazing in it also. Hadn't seen him in anything before but he was just fantastic.

- Variety: ‘Mr. Robot’ Boss Sam Esmail Takes Control of Season Two
So for the second season, he proposed to his bosses at USA and UCP, the studio that produces “Mr. Robot,” to let him do just that, and produce the show like a feature.

Executives at the network and studio admit they were taken aback by his request. “Of course, it was very scary,” concedes USA’s Alex Sepiol, senior VP of original scripted programming, who developed the show. “It was definitely risky and ambitious to arrange the schedule. But it seemed like the process that was going to best support him, so after much discussion, we agreed to do it.”
It’s all business when it comes to enabling Esmail’s tight schedule. “Shooting in this way, it would be a colossal failure if we weren’t all prepared,” says Malek. Everyone had to be on board for extreme advance prep, actors included.

Instead of doing week-by-week table reads, the stars had a marathon six-episode read in one setting that lasted more than six hours. A second session covered the final four scripts.

“I’ve been blown away by the writers’ and Sam Esmail’s ability to prepare,” says Slater, who was so in awe of the phone-book-sized script that he tweeted a photo of it.

Before cameras rolled, Esmail called each of the actors and talked them through the arc of their characters for the entire season. “He’s been great about getting us all on the same page,” Slater says. “It’s a very mysterious show. I think it would be that much more difficult if the actors were in the dark as well.”

Esmail says he can’t imagine working any other way. “I consider the cast — each of them — as co-creators of that character, because they have to live it, they have to breathe it … they have to dream it. It’s foolish for me to keep anything from them.”

The cross-storyboarding is intense: The production is working on scenes of everything from episode one to episode nine right now. Fortunately, Elliot’s standard wardrobe of black hoodie and jeans makes it a little easier for his character, continuity-wise.
Much more via the link.

Can't wait to watch more Mr. Robot. Glad Season Two isn't too far off.

Here's hoping it will air at the same time in Canada, instead of later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom