• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Via reddit, Esmail's thoughts on that religion speech from the last episode

http://imgur.com/a/bGRj1

Seems like Mr. Robot has another parallel to Fight Club in that a lot of the scenes people claim are insightful / smart were not actually intended to be taken that way by the writer.
So glad he owned and disowned that rant completely. People citing it as a "complete pwnage" of religion was mind numbing. Way to miss the point and just see the surface folks. Not anyone here necessarily. Just people I've seen online in reaction to the show. It's been, trying.

This season is shedding viewers like crazy. Good thing USA's in love with the show.

So far, the season is good. Still slow going, obviously, but the atmosphere and visual language on display are to die for.

The only thing missing is the interaction between the characters. Season one had fsociety, Elliot/Angela, Elliot/Tyrell, Tyrell/Joanna, and just a boatload of really satisfying character moments between the cast. Now, each character is sort of stuck in a prison of their own making, totally isolated from each other and sapping the proceedings of that frenzied, kinetic energy of the first season.

I'm sure it'll pass once things get moving, but at this point, I can't blame your average viewer for tuning out. The show's narrative, by design, has become almost oppressively insular.

Mrbob

This season is shedding viewers like crazy. Good thing USA's in love with the show.

So far, the season is good. Still slow going, obviously, but the atmosphere and visual language on display are to die for.

The only thing missing is the interaction between the characters. Season one had fsociety, Elliot/Angela, Elliot/Tyrell, Tyrell/Joanna, and just a boatload of really satisfying character moments between the cast. Now, each character is sort of stuck in a prison of their own making, totally isolated from each other and sapping the proceedings of that frenzied, kinetic energy of the first season.

I'm sure it'll pass once things get moving, but at this point, I can't blame your average viewer for tuning out. The show's narrative, by design, has become almost oppressively insular.

I'm going to stick with it for now but I definitely think this second season is missing a hook the first season had. Too many disjointed viewpoints going on with nothing really tying them together yet. Second season has just been weird too without giving a good explanation of what the heck is really going on. Not surprised viewership has dropped. Starting to think it was a bad idea to have the show creator also by the director of every episode.

You definitely have a point, Elliot and Angela for example seem like they might never even interact again, despite them being attached at the hip in the first season.

I think that's why I'm really not feeling this season so far. I don't mind the lack of story, but there just isn't much of anything going on to replace that and I don't really care about any of the new characters or even Angela, having Eliot stuck in a rut with little to no breakthrough isn't that interesting either.

Starting to think it was a bad idea to have the show creator also by the director of every episode.
I think the directing part is fine. It's the writing that's being compromised by Esmail potentially overextending himself. No other show is like this, and for good reason: it's an insane amount of work to write and direct an entire season.

Matt Weiner wrote over 80% of each Mad Men episode (even the ones he's not credited for as a writer) and even he knew when to let someone else step in behind the camera.

Are all the episodes running over time this season? The premiere was technically two episodes, but this latest episode ran for 90 minutes, and the channel guide is showing this week's episode will air 10-11:30 as well. Adjust your DVR accordingly.

Shades of Sons of Anarchy.
May they share nothing else in common, God willing.

Obviously i'm loving everything being done, but I can understand the frustration a bit. Part of the problem is that many shows really don't do what Mr. Robot did when transitioning seasons. Not only did they close the last season with a time lapse both a character & the audience is completely in the dark on, but they ended the season with a cliffhanger door knock that hasn't been resolved. Then, we start this season & the show has moved us forward an additional 30 days, and all the characters are in a new place that we really have to derive how they got there based on where they were at the end of last season & where they are now.

This show is doing a lot of things many TV shows dare never do. Unreliable narrator that actively breaks the fourth wall AND has a split personality that will do things outside of both the narrator & audiences' perspective? Yeah, this is gonna leave some people in the dust until a clear direction for where everything is going is set.

Really, thats the most grating thing. Stories need direction, and we now live in an age where entire seasons of a mystery drama are dumped in an audience at once - building up & delivering a mystery on a weekly basis, especially after said audience just had to wait a year, is not something a western audience will understandably have patience for. I think we're getting set up for some amazing developments & characters, and the sheer cinematography & artfullness of these shots and edits and audio mixes are worthy of being viewed for just that alone. But the audience needs a sense of purpose right now.

All the threads that are currently being followed have either been stalled, or are reliant on a mystery that isn't being depicted. Add to that the fact that one of the perspectives is wholly unreliable, and you can understand why audiences can be frustrated.

Kadayi

Banned
Watching it via Prime, but honestly, the pacing is terminal at present. The whole 'Elliot off in the hinderlands' storyline needs to wrap itself up fast and he needs to reconnect with some of the other characters by the next episode. That should have been two episodes at best.Everyone is off doing their own thing.

Loving every second of this more daring and chaotic second season!
CoMyEUUXYAAUuob.jpg

I love that Angela is still into Sonic Youth :D

CoKKspLXYAAw8zv.jpg

Monocle

I've enjoyed the season so far but I do worry that it's going to go the Hannibal route where any semblance of meaningful plot or character interaction gets tossed aside in favour of gratuitous amount of imagery and self indulgence.

Season 3 of Hannibal was just awful for that. So far I'm at a loss for where this season is going which wasn't really a problem in the first season. There was a core narrative which drove forward that is so far lacking here.
What a load of nonsense. Hannibal Season 3 takes the earlier seasons to their logical conclusion in the first half when it immerses the audience in
Will Graham's
mental state, and the latter half, when it successfully adapts Red Dragon in a way that also ramps up and gives closure to several major character arcs, with dozens of connections and subtle echoes that stretch all the way back to Season 1—some even to the very first episode.

I've never seen someone both slam Hannibal S3 for being too indulgent and display a reasonable grasp of the underpinning motives and themes at the same time. Watch TV better. You're doing a great series and season a big disservice.

SKINNER!

Banned
Caught up with the 3 episodes. Ep 2 was such a let down but Ep 1 and 3 were great. Loved the first season to death so I'll be sticking with this season until it finishes. Strange how the religion rant has taken centre stage but nobody seemed to mind that corny corny "You can't have a con without CONfidence" line. Hahaha, I unintentionally laughed out loud at that.

Caught up with the 3 episodes. Ep 2 was such a let down but Ep 1 and 3 were great. Loved the first season to death so I'll be sticking with this season until it finishes. Strange how the religion rant has taken centre stage but nobody seemed to mind that corny corny "You can't have a con without CONfidence" line. Hahaha, I unintentionally laughed out loud at that.

That line was the only one where I cringed.

I'm loving that this season, we're focusing more on the flaws of these characters who outwardly seem confident but have so many cracks when left alone. Control being an illusion being the unifying theme. imo that should be the subtitle, Mr Robot |OT| Control Is An Illusion. Reminds me a lot of my favourite anime, Paranoia Agent, which was all about getting into the fragile psyche of people who seem to have their life put together.

KorrZ

What a load of nonsense. Hannibal Season 3 takes the earlier seasons to their logical conclusion in the first half when it immerses the audience in
Will Graham's
mental state, and the latter half, when it successfully adapts Red Dragon in a way that also ramps up and gives closure to several major character arcs, with dozens of connections and subtle echoes that stretch all the way back to Season 1—some even to the very first episode.

I've never seen someone both slam Hannibal S3 for being too indulgent and display a reasonable grasp of the underpinning motives and themes at the same time. Watch TV better. You're doing a great series and season a big disservice.

I'm sorry but I just didn't find it compelling to watch at all. There's a good balance that can be achieved that S3 of Hannibal totally overshot. I loved the first 2 seasons and with the finale of S2 it was easily riding high on my list of favourite shows, but I just found S3 to be way too much.

Feel free to disagree, to each their own. Telling me to "Watch TV better" is just pure condescension in the face of criticism. I know plenty of people who dropped off the show during S3 because of it.

I think the directing part is fine. It's the writing that's being compromised by Esmail potentially overextending himself. No other show is like this, and for good reason: it's an insane amount of work to write and direct an entire season.

Matt Weiner wrote over 80% of each Mad Men episode (even the ones he's not credited for as a writer) and even he knew when to let someone else step in behind the camera.

Are all the episodes running over time this season? The premiere was technically two episodes, but this latest episode ran for 90 minutes, and the channel guide is showing this week's episode will air 10-11:30 as well. Adjust your DVR accordingly.

Shades of Sons of Anarchy.
May they share nothing else in common, God willing.

Esmail isn't writing the series on his own, only directing it.

Coreda

This show is doing a lot of things many TV shows dare never do. Unreliable narrator that actively breaks the fourth wall AND has a split personality that will do things outside of both the narrator & audiences' perspective? Yeah, this is gonna leave some people in the dust until a clear direction for where everything is going is set.

We now live in an age where entire seasons of a mystery drama are dumped in an audience at once - building up & delivering a mystery on a weekly basis, especially after said audience just had to wait a year, is not something a western audience will understandably have patience for.

The show is turning tropes and clichés on their head left and right with its completely original set of characters and plots, and confronted with the slower pace in S2 it's just too much for the ADD western mind to handle. That's honestly the only legitimate reason some here are disappointed with S2. What can you do, it takes time to develop an understanding of the subtle complexities of the characterization they have taken such efforts to develop in S1. Gah, consumer taste these days. It's too mainstream.

plebsamirite98pkj.gif

You definitely have a point, Elliot and Angela for example seem like they might never even interact again, despite them being attached at the hip in the first season.

I think that has more to do with their current situation. Elliot hasn't even interacted with anyone from fsociety let alone Angela, due to his wanting to block out Mr. Robot and keep a sane state of mind. On the other hand, Angela is slowly (d)evolving to another corporate cog in the machine, and has been focused on ECorp's PR projects. You're talking about two characters with the potential to diametrically oppose one another.

The show is turning tropes and clichés on their head left and right with its completely original set of characters and plots, and confronted with the slower pace in S2 it's just too much for the ADD western mind to handle. That's honestly the only legitimate reason some here are disappointed with S2. What can you do, it takes time to develop an understanding of the subtle complexities of the characterization they have taken such efforts to develop in S1. Gah, consumer taste these days. It's too mainstream.

plebsamirite98pkj.gif

Honestly, the real test for Mr. Robot S2 will probably be how it does on the streaming side once the season is complete. It seemed like Mr. Robot really picked up popularity after its initial run, and anecdotally I have a quite a few friends who are fans, caught it in the off-season all at once, and are eagerly anticipating the 2nd season to finish airing in order for them to watch it at their own pace.

Meanwhile, here I am, watching it on a weekly basis & being compelled to rewatch whole S2 episodes due to just how well they are resonating with me. I feel like so much of the nuance that has been built in all aspects of this show's production is going to be lost on the stream-watchers once they have access to the entire season all at once.

Finalow

really solid second season so far, I just hope they won't push for another way too predictable (Fight Club uh-uh) *plot twist* like they did in the first season.

El Daniel

I'm sorry but I just didn't find it compelling to watch at all. There's a good balance that can be achieved that S3 of Hannibal totally overshot. I loved the first 2 seasons and with the finale of S2 it was easily riding high on my list of favourite shows, but I just found S3 to be way too much.

Feel free to disagree, to each their own. Telling me to "Watch TV better" is just pure condescension in the face of criticism. I know plenty of people who dropped off the show during S3 because of it.

Yeah, the first four episode of season 3 were just awful and way more self indulgent than Mr. Robot is at the moment. But episode 5 through 7 are one my favourite episodes of the show. So you should skip to 5 is what I recommend.

Chris R

I'm hoping S2 picks up in a few more episodes. I've liked these first three episodes, but it's not even close to the level of S1 yet. I'm betting it gets close when I've been able to watch the entire season in a weekend though.

Just watched the first 3 eps.

There's definitely a lack of thrust and tension that were powering most of S1, so I'm not surprised at the feelings of some in the thread and the drop in viewers. I'm still enjoying myself because I'm interested to see where these characters go, and the cinematography is still good (though the score has taken a step back IMO), but the near complete focus on Elliot's psyche + playing catch up with everyone else through slower moving and more segmented scenes isn't as compelling without a clear engine revving underneath. Of course it's only 3 episodes in, and a slow burn set-up could pay off in the back half, but for right now it's sort of just coasting.

I feel like I should just wait out till every s2 episode airs and then just binge watch the whole thing. This is 1 of those shows where binge watching would make it so much better. Waiting a week ruins a lot of things

CRS

When is the next episode on amazon prime video?

Probably tomorrow since new episode airs tonight. And speaking of...

New Episode Tonight

eps2.2_init1.asec

Elliot befriends Ray, hoping he can finally delete Mr. Robot; Dom makes a discovery; Darlene considers whether the FBI or Dark Army are the bigger threat.

.asec extension info

This file extension is specifically associated with Google’s Android operating system.
The purpose of an ASEC format is to prevent existing applications from being modified or corrupted by other programs. Applications moved to an SD card use an ASEC extension. These files can then be found under the .android_secure folder on the SD card. If an application must be moved from memory back to its device’s local storage, the file is decrypted from the ASEC file format to a basic APK (Android Package) file format.

Note that the episode tonight is again scheduled for a 90 minute time slot.

- Verge: Watch tonight's Mr. Robot Digital After Show with guest Kor Adana
- Rolling Stone: How TV's Hit Hacker Drama Keeps Getting Better
- Hidden Remote interview: Rami Malek: ‘Elliot’s Got Blood On His Hands Now’
- Sydney Morning Herald profile: The breakout thriller Mr Robot has transformed the life of Rami Malek

Thanks. Mine was cut off last week. I guess I should just schedule it to record an extra 30 minutes every week.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope the characters begin to cross paths again soon. They're all too disconnected at the moment.

Wonder if Dom and Elliot are gonna hook up.

People are bound to collide sooner or later, but I have to imagine it's all apart of a bigger picture to let everyone feel isolated and thus leaving the viewer feeling isolated.

I just binged Season 1 and the first two episodes of Season 2. Got halfway into Season 2 episode 3 before I couldn't pay attention anymore and stopped it. This reminds me of Banshee's last season where the pacing got its legs shot out from under it and became boring as hell.

Okay. That scene where we see Elliot's dream. Everything about it came together and hit me right in the feels. I want to see Elliot come out of this. It brings me back to season 1, seeing Elliot curled up in the fetal position and crying over how lonely he is, and to see him come full circle and admit to himself what he wants more than anything, even the fall of ECorp, is that companionship.

Fantastic fucking scene.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BILL! (didn't die. :eek:)

Elliot's dream throws me for a loop. Why is Tyrell and his wife there? Was Tyrell actually a part of Fsociety and the whole "Bonjour Elliot" just a cover to trigger Mr. Robot/Elliot's amnesia? Hmmm...

Okay. That scene where we see Elliot's dream. Everything about it came together and hit me right in the feels. I want to see Elliot come out of this. It brings me back to season 1, seeing Elliot curled up in the fetal position and crying over how lonely he is, and to see him come full circle and admit to himself what he wants more than anything, even the fall of ECorp, is that companionship.

Fantastic fucking scene.

That chime/xylophone instrumental of Basket Case was just the icing on the cake. This show is just something else. It's on another level compared to anything else on basic cable, that's for sure.

Top Bottom