• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Foggy

The opening 2 episodes didn't grab me like I wanted it to, but this episode really sunk its claws into me. Love it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This season has been amazing, like they actually improved over season 1. Complete quality. Surprising to hear people dont like it, but then i think of the internet and i understand.

As someone who started watching the show 4 episodes in to it being on the air and immediately became hooked, I am not sure how people can say they dislike this season so far. The show has not skipped a beat.
Hell, Elliott's dialogue scene in the meeting group about religion last night is one of the better statement speeches in the series, and there have been quite a few of them.
I just do not think the tone or approach has changed at all. And I was very concerned it would as I thought how could they top the brilliance of Season 01.
Thus far they appear to be doing just that.

It could be people that got hooked on the hacking/F Society stuff and aren't happy that it seems to be taking a backseat to the more psychological parts of the show. Could be totally wrong, but I've seen those complaints before on social media.

Wikipedia:

Forbes Interview from last year:

Thanks! Yep, that's what I remember reading.

awp69

Just got around to watching last night's episode and I thought it was incredible. Malek is truly an amazing actor and Esmail's direction was beautiful. Great music selections as usual.

I also think regardless of people thinking it's going slow, the story is progressing. FBI getting closer. The retribution dangling for Angela. Elliot seemingly coming to the realization that he can't get rid of Mr. Robot but needs to perhaps embrace it.

It is odd that, at least on Charter cable, that the f-bombs were back to being dropped. Wonder if they got complaints from advertisers. But I figure the show is messed up enough and if The People vs. OJ Simpson could get away with it, why bother? I seriously doubt anyone who appreciates this twisted show is offended. Ok to show the FBI agent masterbating but not say "fuck"?

Whatever. Just think Esmail deserves full creative unedited control.

The Comic Con panel was this evening.

- Variety: ‘Mr. Robot’ Stars Talk Season 2 Secrets, Pokemon Go and Which Cast Member Loves ‘The Bachelorette’
Slater discussed the dynamic between Elliot and Mr. Robot in Season 2, admitting that in Season 1, “Mr. Robot is an idealized version” of who Elliot wanted his father to be, “somebody very mysterious and powerful guiding him. “In Season 2 he’s trying to deal with that and place those restrictions” on what Mr. Robot can do, and Slater says that any time Elliot puts an obstacle in the way of Mr. Robot’s ultimate goals, “it really p—es me off.”

The cast also praised USA Network for standing behind the show, which often criticizes corporate culture and large conglomerate companies — many of which are in the TV production business.

“This is a very polarizing show; we say some crazy s–t about the world in general, there’s nothing we won’t broach, and that takes a really gutsy group of people to get behind something like that,” Malek noted. “Behind us are people who really took a chance on a show that could be polarizing and gave us the free rein to really say something. We’ve got some badasses on our side, they gave us the show, they gave you the show.”

- Deadline: ‘Mr. Robot’ Invades Comic-Con: Cast On Elliot’s Shayla Obsession, Agent Dom, Angela’s Arc & Pokemon Go
With Esmail absent, Malek spoke about the grand thesis of Mr. Robot.

“Sam looks at situations in the world where a small group of people have gone up against things, where they’ve changed government or the way people live. The big question he’s asking: How can we go outside of each and every one of ourselves that has a lasting effect that benefits all of us?” explained the actor who recently received his first Emmy for best actor in a drama series.

“The show is about how we can affect the world we live in. Is technology an asset or is controlling us? We’re slaves to debt. Everyone has this accruing debt that we owe. We’ve just hit every aspect of how the top one percent of the top one percent rule the world we live in. What’s fascinating about the show is that we have this alienated, disenfranchised characters that everyone can relate to,” added Malek.

KodaRuss

Dodging spoilers to post that I just finished Season 1 late last night. I wasnt planning on watching the last three episodes but after episode 8 I could not stop myself. Wow, amazing. I cannot wait to get caught up on Season 2.

This show has been on my radar for awhile but damn it flew past my expectations. I find it incredible that this show is on USA as well. Well done.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ehhh kind of dissapointed by this season so far, seeing how amazing the finale was. It seems like another one of those non story seasons.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The only thing I'm not really liking about this season so far is that all of the electronic/synthy sounding cyberpunk and hacker music from the first season seems to have been replaced by a lot more sinister ambient sounding thriller music. I guess this season so far has focused a lot less on hacktivism so it's not really out of place, just kind of a disappointing tonal shift.

Where can I watch this show? I have Netflix and Hulu Plus but can't seem to find it on any of them on my Xbox. When I Google the show it seems to show up on Hulu but now when I search in the app. Can anyone direct me? Thank you.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Where can I watch this show? I have Netflix and Hulu Plus but can't seem to find it on any of them on my Xbox. When I Google the show it seems to show up on Hulu but now when I search in the app. Can anyone direct me? Thank you.

I know they have them at the USA website but I think you might have to log in with a TV service provider.

Geist-

Finally got caught up. A lot of great parts in these episodes so far, but I still find myself hoping Elliot gets to a computer soon.

I was surprised to see Highwayman in the latest episode. It's one of my favorite songs. It might be the reason why I'm suddenly hoping this FBI agent is going to become a part of the main cast.

Ridesh

Banned
Ehhh kind of dissapointed by this season so far, seeing how amazing the finale was. It seems like another one of those non story seasons.

Yep, me too.

I get what they're doing, I like how beautifully directed the episodes are, but I feel like I have seen this kind of mental struggles so many times by now.

ezekial45

Banned
USA isn't gonna let this one go.

Yep. This show earned them a ton of awards and acclaim, so I totally believe they're willing to take the hit in ratings in favor of having a prestige show under their belt.

Plus, the show seems to do better on-demand/digital and from repeat viewings.

Future

This season has been amazing, like they actually improved over season 1. Complete quality. Surprising to hear people dont like it, but then i think of the internet and i understand.

Nothing is happening. I probably wouldn't like it if I didn't respect the cinematography so much.

FBI chick is slowly getting close, but they hinted at that the first episode. Darlene and company not doing anything real yet that's changing much. Still don't know where Tyrell is. Elliot still insane and probably hallucinating his whole setup.... But he's been doing it for 3 episodes straight

Narratively it's just been really slow.

Monocle

Same.

Also, the music isn't as good.

Also, I could have done without the hilariously excessive barf scene.

LiQuid!

I can't even tell you how many people I know in my direct group of friends that waited for the first season to end before binge watching it and are planning to do the same with this season. I've been desperately trying to convince them to watch it as it airs cause I miss having a show like that that warranted weekly water cooler discussions, but too many people are spoiled by the Netflix model. Quite disappointing. I hope production costs are low enough that it being a critical darling will carry it thru seemingly tough ratings. A big part of the problem is that its primary audience demographic is probably 20-30 something cord cutters that don't do much if any weekly viewing.

Coreda

Going in I was expecting at least the quality of the last few S1 episodes but it hasn't been particularly standout. The peak of the show for me were the episodes leading up to the 'reveal' of S1.

The third episode of S2 had glimpses of something better though (the Adderall moments imo) so we'll see.

What am I even watching anymore. What is this show even about. Feels like they had no plan for further seasons when they created this show.

Feels a bit like that, yeah.

saunderez

I loved this episode so much. Beautiful at so many levels.
Me too. This is exactly what I wanted out of a second season and I didn't even know it. My favourite parts of season 1 were when Elliot's delusions were shattered and reality was right in front of him. And boy oh boy Adderall was a terrible thing to do in the current climate. Lack of sleep from Amphetamines makes even the sanest people feel a little bit crazy.

So when Elliot said "and things can finally get back to normal" the thought of him trying to sustain that level of Amphetamines for more than a week or so made me laugh. Things would never be normal again, thats for sure.

This show has gone off the deep end, just like Elliot. What am I even watching anymore. What is this show even about. Feels like they had no plan for further seasons when they created this show.

I gave them a pass with their season opener, but this is frankly plain awful.

Agreed. I'm going to sit this one out.

Rami Malek is fantastic, and the show is visually striking––but the story is all over the place.

Future

Going in I was expecting at least the quality of the last few S1 episodes but it hasn't been particularly standout. The peak of the show for me were the episodes leading up to the 'reveal' of S1.

The third episode of S2 had glimpses of something better though (the Adderall moments imo) so we'll see.

Feels a bit like that, yeah.

Those peak episodes were carrying that strong narrative of, is mr robot real?, will they pull off the hack? With side stories of Angela and Tyrell and the inner workings of e Corp

Now the entire narrative is side stories. Main thread seems to be the fbi investigation. But the hackers have no plan and Elliot is full on insane. Which is hurting cuz Elliot's smarts were entertaining last season.

Those peak episodes were carrying that strong narrative of, is mr robot real?, will they pull off the hack? With side stories of Angela and Tyrell and the inner workings of e Corp

Now the entire narrative is side stories. Main thread seems to be the fbi investigation. But the hackers have no plan and Elliot is full on insane. Which is hurting cuz Elliot's smarts were entertaining last season.

Maybe not a plan to the extent of 5/9, but the hackers do have an idea though (specifically Darlene). They're trying to erode public confidence in E Corp as a sort of twist of the knife to the company now that their archives are gone. The problem is that they were overconfident in thinking 5/9 was going to kill E Corp right away. However, the lack of organization stems from the fracturing of the team. Trenton and Mobley are probably going to gtfo, Romero's dead, which leaves Darlene. Elliot can't really do anything because he's wrestling with keeping Mr. Robot in control, which stifles his intellect that we saw in S1. If S1 was the build up to the 5/9 climax, then S2 is really more about the consequences of 5/9.

saunderez

True. But Elliot is the ultimate unreliable narrator right now. Just like Season 1, all it will take to change that is a reliable narrator (probably Angela but maybe Darlene) shattering the reality Elliot has created to insulate himself. When that happens I think we will see his version of events in an entirely new light. Thats where the main story is going to be and if they pull it off it could be amazing. We'll see.

Dang ratings tanked this week. 0.79 million viewers, 0.3 share, 99th on the list of the top 100 cable shows among 18-49 for Wednesday.

It doesn't really matter. Mr. Robot is the crown jewel in USA's programming. It's one of their only shows that legitimizes them as a prestige network and considering how amazing critical acclaim has been for the show, they'll let Sam do his thing. While I'm sure it would have been a plus if they had ratings like "NCIS", at the end of the day, "Mr. Robot" will be the show that'll help transition USA from being "that one network with all the buddy cop shows" to "that network where fantastic content is being made." Sam supposedly has a vision for 5 seasons, and I'd be surprised if USA didn't give that too him.

Coreda

Did anyone else during the premiere episode expect that when it's revealed Elliot is talking to his psychiatrist everything he'd said up till that moment was a lie told for her?

I honestly thought that was going to be the twist and was relieved when I thought it would be... only to see nope, that's actually his life now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A bit early to tell don't you think ? The show runner did say he planned for multiple seasons , I have no reason to think he lied about that. I'd let it play out before acting like its completely jumped the shark. I didn't feel the first season came into its own until the second half of it. Personally I loved this episode though, thought it was better then the 2 in the premiere.

It's Jett. Unless it's linear point A->Z like Uncharted, he won't enjoy it.

I said it before to those complaints: We're 2-3 episodes into a 10 episode season. At least wait until episode 6 (the back half) to see if the dominoes still don't fall.

Anyway:

Reddit is fucking amazing. The perfectly constructed loop.

It's Jett. Unless it's linear point A->Z like Uncharted, he won't enjoy it.

I said it before to those complaints: We're 2-3 episodes into a 10 episode season. At least wait until episode 6 (the back half) to see if the dominoes still don't fall.

Anyway:

Reddit is fucking amazing. The perfectly constructed loop.

Actually it was extended to 12 but still it's kind of silly to complain so early about that sort of thing.

Still love the show, don't get the hate, but well, what doesn't the internet hate?

Hate's a strong word. There's a number of posters in here that are disappointed with how slow the plot is moving, but I wouldn't call that hate.

Though I find it a strange thing to complain about after only 3 episodes in, especially when the latest episode seemed to be Elliot coming to terms with the fact that he can't keep running away from Mr Robot and what they've done.
On the other hand, if the rest of the season was similar to what we've gotten already, I'd be happy anyway. I love the psychological weirdness, it's one of my favourite things about the show.

KorrZ

I've enjoyed the season so far but I do worry that it's going to go the Hannibal route where any semblance of meaningful plot or character interaction gets tossed aside in favour of gratuitous amount of imagery and self indulgence.

Season 3 of Hannibal was just awful for that. So far I'm at a loss for where this season is going which wasn't really a problem in the first season. There was a core narrative which drove forward that is so far lacking here.

I've enjoyed the season so far but I do worry that it's going to go the Hannibal route where any semblance of meaningful plot or character interaction gets tossed aside in favour of gratuitous amount of imagery and self indulgence.

Season 3 of Hannibal was just awful for that. So far I'm at a loss for where this season is going which wasn't really a problem in the first season. There was a core narrative which drove forward that is so far lacking here.

Shit I would prefer the Hannibal s3 method instead of a predictable trope and cliche filled crowd pleaser, season 3 of Hannibal was fantastic television and s2 of mr robot has been firing on all cylinders so far, different strokes I guess.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Season 3 was glorious television. Never been anything like that. On it's scale and scope. Incredible season of television.

Via reddit, Esmail's thoughts on that religion speech from the last episode

http://imgur.com/a/bGRj1

Seems like Mr. Robot has another parallel to Fight Club in that a lot of the scenes people claim are insightful / smart were not actually intended to be taken that way by the writer.

Coreda

Seems like Mr. Robot has another parallel to Fight Club in that a lot of the scenes people claim are insightful / smart were not actually intended to be taken that way by the writer.

People thought the religion rant was meant to be deep? Thought the same thing as Esmail's summary above when I heard it. The show has clichés out the wazoo. Fitted well for the scene/scenario.

Euphor!a

Banned
So I'm sorry if this has already been talked to death, but has it been discussed what Wellick's ultimate goal was inside ECorp? I got the sense that he only wanted to be CTO as a means of sabotaging the company for a reason that hasn't been revealed yet and he wasn't just joining up with Elliot for simply spiteful revenge. Is this just reading too much into things?

It doesn't discredit what Elliot is trying to say though, "a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope" "paying fanboys of poorly written sci-fi " could be good points in the right context, it's just buried under angsty and embarrassing phrasing which is clearly intentional.

It's not the content of what was said, but how he said it.

Veelk

Banned
It doesn't discredit what Elliot is trying to say though, "a dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope" "paying fanboys of poorly written sci-fi " could be good points in the right context, it's just buried under angsty and embarrassing phrasing which is clearly intentional.

It's not the content of what was said, but how he said it.

I also think that people are confusing narrative depth which "convincing argument against religion".

The content of Elliot's argument isn't wrong, it's just another phrasing of the problem of evil which has been the thorn of every judeo-christian religion on the planet. It's just generic and lame because it's been so often repeated that it's a cliche at this point.

But this show isn't an argumentative piece against religion, it's a show about a character named Elliot, so if you want to talk depth, then look at the speech through the lens of Elliot. He directly invokes parallels between religion and his private internal conflicts that he's having. Mr. Robot is trying to control his life and have Elliot follow his orders, but he's an intangible, unknowable, omnipresent figure in his head that aggressively tries to claim that he's all that is good in the world and that his word should be followed without question. He's also been egging Elliot on who to blame for all the problems that he's currently facing. Before, they were problems that society at large is having due to his hack, but with Gideon dead, the problem of evil is now a personal one, and Elliot doesn't know who to blame. So while he's lashing out at religion, what is actually on his mind is the inevitability of Mr Robots return. His pills were, at best, able to delay him, but he has no way of actually stopping him.

That's where the depth of his rant lies, in the subtext.

Top Bottom