• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

I just watched that Hacking Robot after show and at the very end the host asked the cast to describe their characters journey in season 2 in one word.

Rami's response - Committed

Guess that theory is 100% legit.

Ha, I love that this was actually making me question the prison theory more than I normally would have. It's easy to imagine all of those confined spaces due to the regiment(including the regiment) as bizarre simply because Elliot is so strange and the show is already disjointed and claustrophobic in its locations. Had this on my mind the entire season.

Souless_PJ posted that a long ass time ago btw, somewhere around episode 2.

Also, regarding his imprisonment, i'm almost certain it is the hack regarding the therapist, since he told her of that and they made it a point to state that Elliot no longer had a dog when Ray began speaking to him while bring his own around. It's probably back to its original owner. This crime is also the only one likely to be pardoned either by whiterose's influence or as a show of appreciation by the FBI for helping them catch what was seemingly a Silk Road equivalent. I suppose it may have been a combination of both but we know whiterose was involved as joey badass's character mentions the letter and asserts relations with Whiterose, who's super hacking dragon mask army totes owns most bros in the FBI who know good places to eat right around the corner.

What was up with Angela straight up shutting down Price's birthday invite? No "sorry, I already have plans" just straight up "no" then silence. Is her mind so preoccupied with the FBI stuff that her professional mask has slipped and she isn't really thinking about how and what she is doing outside of it?

Cheekygrin

Neo Member
Looking at the file extensions, the entire season is about things that are locked up, or encrypted.

huh. never really paid any attention to the ep names. nice.

looking at the extensions:
mr robot s02e01-02 eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc - TrueCrypt
mr robot s02e03 eps2.1_k3rnel-pan1c.ksd - KeepSafe
mr robot s02e04 eps2.2_init_1.asec - Android Secure Encrypted
mr robot s02e05 eps2.3_logic-b0mb.hc - VeraCrypt
mr robot s02e06 eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes - Advanced Encryption Standard
mr robot s02e07 eps2.5_h4ndshake.sme - SmartEncryptor ?

kirblar

What was up with Angela straight up shutting down Price's birthday invite? No "sorry, I already have plans" just straight up "no" then silence. Is her mind so preoccupied with the FBI stuff that her professional mask has slipped and she isn't really thinking about how and what she is doing outside of it?
Because it was a romantic/friendship overture. She absolutely fucked up in how she turned it down, tho, as evidenced by Price's instructions to her boss.

Sane_Man

Amazing episode. Personally I think this season has been much stronger than the first. I'm enjoying it a lot more. I wouldn't have seen the twist coming was it not for people on here figuring it out early on.

Not buying that Tyrell is dead at all. I could see him making his glorious return by killing the dude who's sleeping with his wife.

kevin1025

Banned
I hope Jeremy Bobb is going to be on the show pretty often, he's always a good time. Loved him in The Knick and his dismissive treatment of Angela is something he was also great at in The Knick!

As for the season up till now... I'm liking it, but I thought the first season was great. The second season has that special feeling of a prestige drama, and is still gorgeous and well acted and for the most part well written. But pulling the twist when a lot of us here called it (just wrong about the setting) is a tad disappointing. It's sewing seeds of doubt into me as a viewer, no matter what Elliot's voiceover says about no longer doing that again. It was cool when Elliot had the cement hallucination when throwing up, that was well done, but to have 7 episodes dedicated to a twist feels like spinning the wheels a little bit, as well executed as it was.

Long story short, I'm liking the show, I'm liking the execution of everything in the show, but the story is dragging, especially now that we're in the home stretch of the season.

Wollan

Woah. Was completely surprised by the twist. I feel lucky I have been abroad lately as I binged most of season 2 tonight and therefor avoided all online speculation prior. Love it.

ohNOitsRO

This is the best shit on TV right now.

EDIT:
Thankfully Craig's character is over. That role was pointless.

Bring back Vera plz and thx.

I mean it wasn't pointless... He's clearly a CO in the prison who preyed on another smart computer dude before he preyed on Elliot to help him out.. It set everything up nicely for Elliot needing and accessing a computer while he was in prison..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just caught this current episode last night. That was pretty daaaamn good.
Leon is the truth! That shit was intense.

neshcom

Banned
I do wonder if there is some sort of time displacement we aren't aware of yet. Maybe it's because there isn't any better way to express when scenes are happening, but there are a lot of overt dates given this season. Between news reports tied to real-life events to the FBI agent mentioning the Fourth of July, there has to be something there for as often as it's brought up.

Grakl

I hope Jeremy Bobb is going to be on the show pretty often, he's always a good time. Loved him in The Knick and his dismissive treatment of Angela is something he was also great at in The Knick!

As for the season up till now... I'm liking it, but I thought the first season was great. The second season has that special feeling of a prestige drama, and is still gorgeous and well acted and for the most part well written. But pulling the twist when a lot of us here called it (just wrong about the setting) is a tad disappointing. It's sewing seeds of doubt into me as a viewer, no matter what Elliot's voiceover says about no longer doing that again. It was cool when Elliot had the cement hallucination when throwing up, that was well done, but to have 7 episodes dedicated to a twist feels like spinning the wheels a little bit, as well executed as it was.

Long story short, I'm liking the show, I'm liking the execution of everything in the show, but the story is dragging, especially now that we're in the home stretch of the season.
It wasn't actually dedicated to that twist. Everything that happened happened, he just needed to protect himself. The real twist is that Whiterose is watching over him and making sure he stays alive.

I don't think Craig was pointless. Both seasons had a trial of fire during which Elliot endured a challenging, life threatening situation, but came out much stronger. Remember, the whole point of the show is Elliot's capacity for handling the things around him. In Season 1 he discovered an inkling of love and had that ripped from him. When he descended into drug abuse and loneliness, he was shown that people around him relied on him and needed him, showing him that he wasn't that alone. This season, he discovered a friend (Craig) that helped him accept the thing he had been trying to excise from himself. When that friend turned on him, he used that new knowledge and the reconciliation he made with Mr. Robot to persevere through the situation and prevail.

Craig isn't pointless!

I just don't view the prison reveal as being a twist necessarily. Not because it was well-predicted prior to this episode, but rather that the twist doesn't refocus or align any of the events that occurred prior.

When you think about other notable twists in film - like Fight Club, Mr. Robot S1, or The Sixth Sense - those twists actually completely reframe everything we had seen prior to the reveal. It doesn't make us question everything we'd seen, but it makes us re-evaluate how and where things happened. The Prison reveal doesn't do that - everything we saw was both real & wholly accurate to how they happened in the reality of the show. Elliot had just reprogrammed his brain into thinking he was someplace he actually wasn't - the setting didn't necessarily matter as it didn't really inform the events that had occurred.

I guess thats why it didn't really bother me at all when it was finally shown. Was it surprising? Sure, and that is taken into consideration the fact many of us had already figured it out. They did a great, excellent job at subverting that particular expectation. I think a lot has to be said about how this show executes its particular ideas and some of the more high-brow psychological-driven storytelling it really does readily employ. But I wasn't disappointed. And the plot has definitely been moving along at a fast clip since about episode 3 or 4 of this season, so i'm probably an outlier in that i've been thoroughly satisfied with this season.

Sober

I don't think Craig was pointless. Both seasons had a trial of fire during which Elliot endured a challenging, life threatening situation, but came out much stronger. Remember, the whole point of the show is Elliot's capacity for handling the things around him. In Season 1 he discovered an inkling of love and had that ripped from him. When he descended into drug abuse and loneliness, he was shown that people around him relied on him and needed him, showing him that he wasn't that alone. This season, he discovered a friend (Craig) that helped him accept the thing he had been trying to excise from himself. When that friend turned on him, he used that new knowledge and the reconciliation he made with Mr. Robot to persevere through the situation and prevail.

Craig isn't pointless!
Well I guess he is probably pointless in that he doesn't relate to 5/9, E-Corp, Tyrell Wellick, fsociety and all that, but that's just mostly plot stuff anyway. I do think on a faster show though (faster just because they wouldn't do as many slow burn bigger episodes like Mr. Robot did this season) that this would've been about 3 episodes, tops instead of half the season.

Wollan

Do we know why Elliot is in prison?
I can't remember any specific thing he got caught on besides his boss knowing of suspicious activities.
He spilled the secret to the Swede, maybe he reported him?

mm04

I can't remember any specific thing he got caught on besides his boss knowing of suspicious activities.

Yeah, someone fill me in on this as well. I can't seem to place how it happened.

kirblar

His therapists' ex. Only think small enough to put him there without major repercussions.

mm04

Maybe he called the cops on himself. Something small or petty that buys him time to sort things out. No criminal record he cannot forge or forget. I bet they'll show us that in the next episode's opening.

Okay thanks, because I thought I had missed something. I was like, damn, do I need to re-watch some episodes from last season? How did I miss him getting arrested...

Well I guess he is probably pointless in that he doesn't relate to 5/9, E-Corp, Tyrell Wellick, fsociety and all that, but that's just mostly plot stuff anyway. I do think on a faster show though (faster just because they wouldn't do as many slow burn bigger episodes like Mr. Robot did this season) that this would've been about 3 episodes, tops instead of half the season.
It was 3 episodes! Before that, we were mostly focusing on Elliot's severe, crippling psychosis.

Ha, I love that this was actually making me question the prison theory more than I normally would have. It's easy to imagine all of those confined spaces due to the regiment(including the regiment) as bizarre simply because Elliot is so strange and the show is already disjointed and claustrophobic in its locations. Had this on my mind the entire season.

Souless_PJ posted that a long ass time ago btw, somewhere around episode 2.

Also, regarding his imprisonment, i'm almost certain it is the hack regarding the therapist, since he told her of that and they made it a point to state that Elliot no longer had a dog when Ray began speaking to him while bring his own around. It's probably back to its original owner. This crime is also the only one likely to be pardoned either by whiterose's influence or as a show of appreciation by the FBI for helping them catch what was seemingly a Silk Road equivalent. I suppose it may have been a combination of both but we know whiterose was involved as joey badass's character mentions the letter and asserts relations with Whiterose, who's super hacking dragon mask army totes owns most bros in the FBI who know good places to eat right around the corner.

I think Elliot gave the dog up to Angela.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The Fight Club twist wasn't the twist, it was the cover for the Sister twist. I wonder if this prison twist is a cover for something else.

I just don't view the prison reveal as being a twist necessarily. Not because it was well-predicted prior to this episode, but rather that the twist doesn't refocus or align any of the events that occurred prior.

When you think about other notable twists in film - like Fight Club, Mr. Robot S1, or The Sixth Sense - those twists actually completely reframe everything we had seen prior to the reveal. It doesn't make us question everything we'd seen, but it makes us re-evaluate how and where things happened. The Prison reveal doesn't do that - everything we saw was both real & wholly accurate to how they happened in the reality of the show. Elliot had just reprogrammed his brain into thinking he was someplace he actually wasn't - the setting didn't necessarily matter as it didn't really inform the events that had occurred.

I guess thats why it didn't really bother me at all when it was finally shown. Was it surprising? Sure, and that is taken into consideration the fact many of us had already figured it out. They did a great, excellent job at subverting that particular expectation. I think a lot has to be said about how this show executes its particular ideas and some of the more high-brow psychological-driven storytelling it really does readily employ. But I wasn't disappointed. And the plot has definitely been moving along at a fast clip since about episode 3 or 4 of this season, so i'm probably an outlier in that i've been thoroughly satisfied with this season.

I agree, and it's basically what Sam Esmail says they were going for in the Hitflix interview posted above.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Dom lives in my neighborhood! Wife saw her buying groceries before the season started and she was talking about how big her role is in season 2.

Btw you guys are crazy, I did not see the twist coming.

Also the twist was a cover for the bad ass ninja who has Elliot's back.

Acerac

Banned

You don't read this thread very often then. Many people talked about how he was in a mental institution throughout the thread.

Granted, people who said that were slightly off, but given how it was said that Elliot was committed you can understand them making the incorrect inference.

bebop242

When Leon shoved the knife deep into the guy's ass and then pulled it out, I bet he was thinking of the Seinfeld episode where George needs the keychain back and jackhammers into the ground:

https://youtu.be/h93XbNAUZfM?t=9s

That scene was cringe worthy to me. What was the point?

Wonder if something big is going to happen next episode with the 4th of July mention by Dom and Darlene asking if "this is happening tomorrow?"

Dr.Acula

Banned
You don't read this thread very often then. Many people talked about how he was in a mental institution throughout the thread.

Granted, people who said that were slightly off, but given how it was said that Elliot was committed you can understand them making the incorrect inference.

Yeah, it was close. I thought he was hallucinating a halfway house being his Mom's place, and actually going to a park and a greasy spoon with an attendant, not him straight up hallucinating everything as everything.

kevin1025

Banned
It wasn't actually dedicated to that twist. Everything that happened happened, he just needed to protect himself. The real twist is that Whiterose is watching over him and making sure he stays alive.

I'm just wondering if we couldn't have found a better way to show that in four episodes rather than seven. I guess it's a pacing issue for me, where everyone else's storyline is moving, whereas Elliot's story is more internal. After the chess match against Mr Robot he realizes that it's as much part of him as he is, and it was a nice touch for Mr Robot to effectively be a shield for him, but I wish it had been a tiny more streamlined or been a single Elliot-centric episode that had it all in one go.

I should also add, I definitely don't dislike how things went, just... the speed in which our main character came to that moment. But this season has been more of an ensemble, so it lines up, I guess!

But yeah, you are right, it does lead to a point story-wise that helps moves things forward more.

Dom lives in my neighborhood! Wife saw her buying groceries before the season started and she was talking about how big her role is in season 2.

Also the twist was a cover for the bad ass ninja who has Elliot's back.

That means you're one degree of separation from a Meryl Streep signature! Get on that!

Dysun

I was caught unaware for both twists last season (Darlene and Mr Robot), but this one was a water is wet moment. Probably because of the increased skepticism about everything surrounding Elliot's POV that I now have.

I enjoyed the reveal none the less.

Watching it again, the hallmark of this show is definitely the Elliot - Ray scene.

It was such an interesting dynamic, and imo a lot better than that drug dumbass Vera.

Watching it again, the hallmark of this show is definitely the Elliot - Ray scene.

It was such an interesting dynamic, and imo a lot better than that drug dumbass Vera.

Naw. Vera had more purpose beyond Elliot which made him unique. Characters who are designed to relate / build up another character aren't that good overall because they're usually forgettable on their own.

kaskade

Finally all caught up. That who sitcom deal in the next to the last episode was amazing.

For the twist. I was assuming he might've been in some mental institution. Do we know what Craig's character was in relation to the prison? CO or something?

Didn't see the Leon thing coming though, and probably more important really.

Top Bottom