• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Link

The Autumn Wind
When Krista asked Elliot "Where do you think you are right now?" and then the reveal happens, I got serious flashbacks to My Screwup from Scrubs.

This show's been overusing two stylistic tricks to the point where it's getting obnoxious. Every episode this season has had at least one (sometimes both) of the following:

A) A scene starts, a couple of seconds pass, and music will come in late.
B) Music cutting off abruptly and a jump cut to a new scene

There's nothing inherently wrong with either of these, but they're meant to be startling and that just doesn't work if you're doing them over and over again.

Good to see some clarification here:

When Esmail and I spoke at the end of season 1, one of the things he said that stuck with me was his response to whether he hoped the Tyler Durden-esque nature of Mr. Robot himself would lead fans to start questioning the reality of everything about the series:

"No. It's not what I want. That could get really frustrating. I want us to be tethered. For me, it's about the authentic experience of what Elliot is going through."

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...lains-season-2s-big-twist#o9IZguqW4HTMAQ0l.99

Good to know. I see no reason to question Elliot's perception of reality now that him and Mr Robot have formed an alliance. He was also kept in the dark about his other side.

I bet the people who were trashing this season feel like jackasses now that we see the broader picture of what Esmail was trynna do with Elliot this season.

Sober

Ray was a prison guard (hence the dog) who got asked to build a website (and never look at it) and in return would receive a ton of cash, his Wife built the site, money rolled in, all was good.

Elliot arrived and Ray was a nice guy and wanted to help Elliot through his jail time (or be his saviour) because he saw something in him. He took a liking to Elliot and at some point (likely after Elliot got beat for looking at the site) Ray looked at the site as well. He was in too deep though and could do nothing.

When playing chess with Elliot he knew what was going on and said Elliot was actually his saviour (for busting him), he wanted out and that would be his only happy ending.
On that same note I have to imagine Elliot got arrested for hacking the dude back in S1, otherwise I don't know if Ray would've known that much about Elliot's computer skills. I guess the notebook with code in it though might've also provided him with that information.

bitbydeath

On that same note I have to imagine Elliot got arrested for hacking the dude back in S1, otherwise I don't know if Ray would've known that much about Elliot's computer skills. I guess the notebook with code in it though might've also provided him with that information.

Yep, either that or whatever happened with Tyrell.

Highly doubt Elliot's getting arrested for the Michael hack. The show mentioned how Michael would need a lot of evidence to get Elliot sent away. Not to mention, how Elliot covered his tracks so well that it took until the crash in Estonia to pretty much hide away any shred of evidence that Michael could have gotten.

I think he's getting arrested for the Vera break-out.

KingKong

The worst part about this twist is that the reality that's shown would have been so much more interesting. Great I'm glad the protagonist and best actor on the show spent 7 episodes belaboring the same point

It doesn't seem so out of place if you look at it as Elliot's delusion warping Leon's rescue into something more grandiose than what it really was.

I hope you're right.
Whilst watching, I hoped the whole scene was a hallucination but that seemed unlikely once the prison twist was revealed.

Not

Banned
Dammit. Next season I'm not following any Internet speculation.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen just because it's obvious the second someone pointed it out after the first 2 episodes aired.

Same thing with the first season. The Fight Club twist didn't even occur to me halfway through until I read it on the damn Internet. Arrrrghhh you guys. We can't be surprised anymore. We're collectively a twist-cracking server farm.

Zoe

Highly doubt Elliot's getting arrested for the Michael hack. The show mentioned how Michael would need a lot of evidence to get Elliot sent away. Not to mention, how Elliot covered his tracks so well that it took until the crash in Estonia to pretty much hide away any shred of evidence that Michael could have gotten.

I think he's getting arrested for the Vera break-out.

The Estonia connection is probably what did him in.

One thing I'm glad about with the twist is that it was revealed before the end of the season. I'm relieved they didn't drag it out until the finale and end on that revelation.

Yeah, I was thinking the Estonia thing is probably what fucked him. I'd put money on the opening of next week's episode explaining what went down.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen just because it's obvious the second someone pointed it out after the first 2 episodes aired.

Same thing with the first season. The Fight Club twist didn't even occur to me halfway through until I read it on the damn Internet. Arrrrghhh you guys. We can't be surprised anymore. We're collectively a twist-cracking server farm.

it's just as bad as shippers. fandom is the worst.

Everyone is trying to figure out how he got caught and for what. He either got himself caught or turned himself in for something, so it could be pretty much anything.

Here's the start of Darlene's visit a few weeks ago:

Darlene: I will never understand why you did this
Elliot: It's good for me here. Better than back at my place.
Darlene: It's cool. I mean, I don't get it, but I don't have to.

How would that work though?

I had a completely different experience to yours. The fight club twist was pretty easy to see only because I noticed that certain scenes were framed in a specific manner (Mr. Robot taking center in fsociety's base compared to Elliot, who is in the background). However, I had no idea that the 2nd season was going to show Elliot in prison through coping mechanisms, which is weird considering I noticed the surreal aspects (the way Elliot and Angela/Darlene/Gideon were shot in their conversation scenes).

To be honest, I'm actually quite happy that it's in prison and not a mental institution.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Great episode. Saw the twist coming a long time ago though. I didnt know it was jail though, i thought it was a voluntary mental institution or something.

Everyone is trying to figure out how he got caught and for what. He either got himself caught or turned himself in for something, so it could be pretty much anything.

Here's the start of Darlene's visit a few weeks ago:

Darlene: I will never understand why you did this
Elliot: It's good for me here. Better than back at my place.
Darlene: It's cool. I mean, I don't get it, but I don't have to.

Huh, I forgot about this. Does seem like he turned himself in then, which means the knock at the door wasn't the police.

Edit: Unless he called the cops off-screen at some point during last season's finale, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Damn, I didn't see that coming at all and I love it! But thinking back it makes so much sense from how things were presented. Gotta say that I really dug that twist.

Also thought the actor who played Ray did a great job. I had only seen him on the Office before but he delivered in this dramatic role. Definitely a complex and memorable character.

This week's reaction

pHLyyoe.gif

Ross61

I really think that scene were Elliot was about to get
raped
by those goons happened and his mind tricked him into thinking that Leon saved him. I really hope it didn't that way tho.

CRS

raped
by those goons happened and his mind tricked him into thinking that Leon saved him. I really hope it didn't that way tho.

Nah, Leon really was a Dark Army soldier. I wouldn't even be surprised if he was sent to jail specifically to protect Elliott.

Also, I guess White Rose was wrong about not seeing Elliott again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
raped

Nope, he's real. Why would he reference White Rose and "Tuesday" if he was a figment?

Allforce

I feel like after the reveal nothing that occurred between Elliot and anyone else actually took place as presented. No computer hack, no Silk Road, no FBI, no Ray's wife. Elliot befriended a guard running a prison contraband ring, somehow got involved in some way, blew the whole thing up (could be as simple as he alerted authorities/ratted), and in his own mind turned it into this intricate hack of a major international dark-web website.

I feel like after the reveal nothing that occurred between Elliot and anyone else actually took place as presented. No computer hack, no Silk Road, no FBI, no Ray's wife. Elliot befriended a guard running a prison contraband ring, somehow got involved in some way, blew the whole thing up (could be as simple as he alerted authorities/ratted), and in his own mind turned it into this intricate hack of a major international dark-web website.

the bruises on his face and eye healed up pretty quickly in a month. By the time tueday came there was no sign of face hurt.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've been hearing some people say that this season is weaker than the first and I gotta agree. I think one of the problems right now is that this feels more like a season 1 than a season 2. The final ended on a huge bombshell and it felt like shit was just gonna be turned up to 11 in this season what with the hack and everything falling apart but it actually didn't feel like that at all.

I don't mind when shows are a slow burn but this season needed to start off with more urgency and it just hasn't and after the FBI got attacked, it felt like we were finally getting to that and now things have slowed down again.

Klocker

Is was weird for me because right when he was sitting with the therapist, I finally was convinced that he wasn't locked up anywhere and that were all wrong. Lol.

And then boom

Top Bottom