• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Boem

Been avoiding reading this thread since I haven't had the chance the watch the episode yet, and I don't have internet at home but I have a bit of a favor to ask. It's pretty big.

Could someone compile a list of easter eggs in this latest episode? I wanna have some fun while not spoiling myself too much but it's literally impossible to search for them without spoiling the episode, so here I am. haha

Don't do this. Just watch the episode. You're going to spoil it for yourself.

Why would you want 'easter eggs' before you've even actually seen the show? It wouldn't mean anything to you and just spoils the fun of watching everything unfold for yourself.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I just started watching last week and have just caught up.

Didn't expect that twist there at all, maybe because I was seeing the episodes so close to each other I wasn't sitting and stewing on what was actually going on between episodes. Damn though, I thought things were a bit weird like in the first season, and I assumed that first twist early on but as the season went on thought less of it till it happened, but I comepletly missed this one.
It's good that I didn't hang around in here during as that twist probably would have made less of an impact.

Still, damn, such a good show.

_Ryo_

Don't do this. Just watch the episode. You're going to spoil it for yourself.

Why would you want 'easter eggs' before you've even actually seen the show? It wouldn't mean anything to you and just spoils the fun of watching everything unfold for yourself.

Things like road signs revealing IP addresses leading to websites don't spoil the story of the show, also it's nice to have a list after watching the episode.

Well, I guess Leon wasn't in his head but the twist there was his Dark Army ties and yeah we figured out that Elliot was locked up pretty early on, that was quite obvious. fsociety owning the FBI (with a Dark Army assist) could be tied to not just clearing the FBI's info on them but to get Elliot out or that could've been all on the DA. Ray being a guard or something was pretty straight forward and it's probably a mix of things and as already said. The thing is when you do one twist within a twist like that I think we're expecting it everywhere now so it just gets harder to actually have further meaningful twists.

When we saw the promos I thought Joanna was covered in blood while screaming. O_O Did she legit file for divorce or is it just her way of keeping her toy until what happened to Tyrell is figured out? I don't believe he's actually dead either.

Zoe

Good to see some clarification here:

This is a small thing, but with Whiterose, I've never been entirely sure which pronoun to use, particularly since we've encountered the Minister Zhang persona. Which is meant to be the real version of the character BD Wong is playing?

Sam Esmail: Oh, it's definitely Whiterose. Not Minister Zhang. Whiterose is the real person; Zhang is the mask.

Chobel

Holy shit! I didn't see that coming at all.

Heck, I didn't get it at first, I assumed he went to prison for Ray's case, it wasn't until the basketball yard scene before I figured it out lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good to see some clarification here:

I always saw it as Whiterose having to protect herself against the Chinese since the Chinese aren't LGBT friendly AFAIK? Made sense to me, especially with the closet full of robes.

jett

D-Member
Well, that was one of the most obvious twists in recent memory, but the reveal was nicely done. Was the Ray hacking for real or just made up in his head? Either way I'm not exactly sure how much sense Elliot's scenes have made this season.

Man, the editing on this week's episode was...strange. It felt like the Elliot scenes near the end were originally one long sequence, but for whatever reason they decided to space it out with Angela scenes. The scene with Leon killing those guys was also weird.
Loved this season so far but this was the first episode that I had some major issues with.

Twist would've been cool if loads of people on Reddit hadn't already figured it out weeks before, although the reveal was nice.

Edit: To clarify - character development was great this ep, plenty of individual scenes were fantastic but the editing and pacing was all over the place for me. Which is a shame because it could have been one of the best episodes this season imo.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, that was one of the most obvious twists in recent memory, but the reveal was nicely done. Was the Ray hacking for real or just made up in his head? Either way I'm not exactly sure how much sense Elliot's scenes have made this season.

The hacking makes sense to me. Ray was probably a guard or a warden(explaining the dog), and criminals would be the best source for running a criminal enterprise. It would also explain why Elliot wouldn't be arrested AGAIN by the FBI after being involved in something like that.

Man, the editing on this week's episode was...strange. It felt like the Elliot scenes near the end were originally one long sequence, but for whatever reason they decided to space it out with Angela scenes. The scene with Leon killing those guys was also weird.
Loved this season so far but this was the first episode that I had some major issues with.

Twist would've been cool if loads of people on Reddit hadn't already figured it out weeks before, although the reveal was nice.

Edit: To clarify - character development was great this ep, plenty of individual scenes were fantastic but the editing and pacing was all over the place for me. Which is a shame because it could have been one of the best episodes this season imo.

Didn't everyone think it was a mental hospital?

i mean nyc health care sucks lmao but it is a VERY different story reveal

So...how exactly did the whole Ray arc conclude?

He started the Silk Road site with his wife and they both agreed to never look at what was being sold--Elliott looks at what's being sold, Ray has him beat to a pulp and threatens him repeatedly, then once he gets the site back up and running, Ray realizes he's done a terrible thing and is okay with Elliott snitching on him?

Just seems like a real moral 180. It'd be different if it were Ray's thugs beating up Elliott without his knowledge--they could've had a stake in the market--but Ray approving of the beating and then just sighing and letting himself get caught seems weird. Am I missing something here?

Didn't everyone think it was a mental hospital?

i mean nyc health care sucks lmao but it is a VERY different story reveal

Some people thought it was, others thought it was a prison. I think the original theory was that it was a prison, although I might be wrong about that. Certainly the first one I saw on reddit was the prison one.

I did predict at the beginning of the episode that if there was going to be a reveal, it would be this episode (I wasn't 100% as to whether the theories were true) because the Previously On included a recap of Elliot's regimented daily routine. Only reason to remind people of that would be to subvert it.

I was watching the episode with closed captions and there was a part where the captions displayed a line of Elliot voice-over that wasn't heard. I'm guessing either a mistake in the final sound mix or Esmail decided to cut the line at the last minute for some reason? It was right after Elliot leaves Ray's house with the FBI outside as he's walking past them, and the captions read "I gave Ray the chance to make the right move. And he left himself wide open to me." I wonder if we'll get any more insight as to why Ray let Elliot turn him in so easily.

These kinds of comments are always funny to me. Like a twist is only worthwhile if you can fool the entirety of the internet. I mostly stay out of these threads during the season because I've learned that in a vacuum without everyone else helping me with speculation, I can actually be swerved and it makes the show more enjoyable.

These kinds of comments are always funny to me. Like a twist is only worthwhile if you can fool the entirety of the internet. I mostly stay out of these threads during the season because I've learned that in a vacuum without everyone else helping me with speculation, I can actually be swerved and it makes the show more enjoyable.

I didn't say it wasn't worthwhile, the reveal was well done. My comment did sound harsher than intended, I was mainly just disappointed in the episode as a whole, twist aside.
The jumpy editing/pacing kinda ruined what could have been an amazing episode for me. The reveals in this ep weren't enough to make up for that.

However, I am glad we're likely moving away from psychological twists since Elliot now trusts 'us' and Mr Robot. I find it hard to stay away from this thread and other places that discuss the show, and someone somewhere is always going to figure out the twist.

Gengahrrr

I was watching the episode with closed captions and there was a part where the captions displayed a line of Elliot voice-over that wasn't heard. I'm guessing either a mistake in the final sound mix or Esmail decided to cut the line at the last minute for some reason? It was right after Elliot leaves Ray's house with the FBI outside as he's walking past them, and the captions read "I gave Ray the chance to make the right move. And he left himself wide open to me." I wonder if we'll get any more insight as to why Ray let Elliot turn him in so easily.

I'm guessing guilt for what was really going on with his website. He said that when Elliot looked, it was the first time he looked as well. Remember, he and his wife were turning a blind eye to what was going on because of the money.

jett

D-Member

Seems about right. This entire imaginary world seemed like totally pointless gimmick.
Esmail is just completely unchecked and literally doing whatever he wants.

The hacking makes sense to me. Ray was probably a guard or a warden(explaining the dog), and criminals would be the best source for running a criminal enterprise. It would also explain why Elliot wouldn't be arrested AGAIN by the FBI after being involved in something like that.

I guess, although frankly some dude running that kind of thing from inside prison, giving hackers access to computers and shit (where exactly are they doing this, in the warden's office?) is a bit hard to swallow for me. But whatevz. I guess that's what the show is going for.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who don't watch with subtitles, you should take a second look at this episode with subtitles on. A lot of key dialogue was not said during important scenes which I feel should have been kept in(subtitles showed them). Not sure if it was cut or if the actors just didn't want to say it but you get a little more when it comes to Elliot's dialogue with Ray and also Angela's dialogue later on.

GeeTeeCee

He started the Silk Road site with his wife and they both agreed to never look at what was being sold--Elliott looks at what's being sold, Ray has him beat to a pulp and threatens him repeatedly, then once he gets the site back up and running, Ray realizes he's done a terrible thing and is okay with Elliott snitching on him?

Just seems like a real moral 180. It'd be different if it were Ray's thugs beating up Elliott without his knowledge--they could've had a stake in the market--but Ray approving of the beating and then just sighing and letting himself get caught seems weird. Am I missing something here?

I might be misremembering, but didn't Ray say that what he did to Elliot and the other guy was a "weak move?" Like he ordered the assaults based on instinct and then later came to regret doing it at all.

Zoe

For those of you who don't watch with subtitles, you should take a second look at this episode with subtitles on. A lot of key dialogue was not said during important scenes which I feel should have been kept in(subtitles showed them). Not sure if it was cut or if the actors just didn't want to say it but you get a little more when it comes to Elliot's dialogue with Ray and also Angela's dialogue later on.

USA has been missing the CC's for this and Suits for almost the whole season :(

I wonder if I should complain to Uverse...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Ray flipped before Elliot got the site back up. He found out what was on it after Elliot screwed up the migration and was disgusted with what he was facilitating but was unwilling to publicly take a stand against it. Elliot was his answer; he knew he would rat him out if he got him to finish the migration so he played along and acted pissed publicly then got Elliot to finish the job knowing the outcome. Once it was done he got the guard to leave him and Elliot alone so he could thank him privately and warn him to be careful of the pissed off inmates.

awp69

I actually do disagree with this and other posters who have said the twist was "pointless".

Yes, such twists can be ridiculous, but honestly, they make perfect sense in Mr. Robot. The whole show is focused on an unstable person and seeing the world through his lens for his portion of the show. The fourth wall breaking talk to the audience is exactly why it should be expected.

Elliot is delusional and if he creates a world to keep himself isolated from the truth -- that's all part of the show's theme.

In many other shows, it would cross the line. For Mr. Robot, it's all about that line between truth and fiction. The reveal's method of imposing locations over the same locations in the prison was just proving how well Esmail pays attention to detail and plans these "delusions" to the T.

No problems here with the twist. Amazing show, amazing acting and brilliant direction.

Sober

I actually do disagree with this and other posters who have said the twist was "pointless".

Yes, such twists can be ridiculous, but honestly, they make perfect sense in Mr. Robot. The whole show is focused on an unstable person and seeing the world through his lens for his portion of the show. The fourth wall breaking talk to the audience is exactly why it should be expected.

Elliot is delusional and if he creates a world to keep himself isolated from the truth -- that's all part of the show's theme.

In many other shows, it would cross the line. For Mr. Robot, it's all about that line between truth and fiction. The reveal's method of imposing locations over the same locations in the prison was just proving how well Esmail pays attention to detail and plans these "delusions" to the T.

No problems here with the twist. Amazing show, amazing acting and brilliant direction.
I don't entirely disagree with Seitz's argument in the broader sense but I think the execution in the show is fine in of itself. I think that at least the "twist" was at least ingrained into character and wasn't just a twist built in mechanically to trick viewers. It's mostly part of Eliot's psyche so it seems a bit more understandable and it's not like it was a twist for the sake of a twist's sake. Maybe if they pull this again in S3 though I might be singing a different tune. We'll see.

I just maybe didn't like the first string of eps being so long when it could've done the reveal and then dressed up the setting again. It makes a bit more sense in that context even though the "institution theory" kinda explained a lot of the editing and writing choices in those eps. At least that's what I think. Again, I'm not Sam Esmail so he can do what he wants.

what i don't disagree with is that esmail's energies are better spent on what the show is so much phenomenally better at and are better stories tbqh.

Yeah, everything from the table to the austere bedroom to the phone on the wall in the corridor screams 'in jail and/or some kind of mental institution' to me. The knock on the door at the end of last season will be people coming to take him away. I anticipate an episode where we flash back over key moments of the season as they 'really' happened coming soon.

Yup.

I liked this twist better than the Mr Robot one. It made all the strange things about this season make sense whereas the season one twist did the opposite.

Killthee

I didn't notice the first time I saw it that Mr. Robot was taking the punches for Elliot during the assault.

I didn't notice the first time I saw it that Mr. Robot was taking the punches for Elliot during the assault.

Yeah, I liked that. However, the part where Leon steps in reminded me of something from a show like The Walking Dead (and not in a good way) - the loud knife sounds, the CGI blood. Just seemed out of place for the show.

Maybe it's not as bad as I'm remembering, I'll need to rewatch the ep, but it stood out in a bad way on the first watch.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Oddly, the event I'm curious about how it happened is the pyro lady. Shouldn't the guards be on her for that?

Was she in it much? I can't really remember how much she was in it over the last few episodes, the bin burning might have been overlooked I guess.

Hmm, do US prisons have mixed sexes? I don't think that lady is quite all lady if you know what I mean, not something I would have noticed till you mentioned her.

Was she in it much? I can't really remember how much she was in it over the last few episodes, the bin burning might have been overlooked I guess.

Hmm, do US prisons have mixed sexes? I don't think that lady is quite all lady if you know what I mean, not something I would have noticed till you mentioned her.

The actress who plays Hot Carla is indeed trans.

bitbydeath

So, uh... who was Ray? A security guard who abused his position of authority?

Ray was a prison guard (hence the dog) who got asked to build a website (and never look at it) and in return would receive a ton of cash, his Wife built the site, money rolled in, all was good.

Elliot arrived and Ray was a nice guy and wanted to help Elliot through his jail time (or be his saviour) because he saw something in him. He took a liking to Elliot and at some point (likely after Elliot got beat for looking at the site) Ray looked at the site as well. He was in too deep though and could do nothing.

When playing chess with Elliot he knew what was going on and said Elliot was actually his saviour (for busting him), he wanted out and that would be his only happy ending.

Killthee

Yeah, I liked that. However, the part where Leon steps in reminded me of something from a show like The Walking Dead (and not in a good way) - the loud knife sounds, the CGI blood. Just seemed out of place for the show.

Maybe it's not as bad as I'm remembering, I'll need to rewatch the ep, but it stood out in a bad way on the first watch.
It doesn't seem so out of place if you look at it as Elliot's delusion warping Leon's rescue into something more grandiose than what it really was.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The actress who plays Hot Carla is indeed trans.

Googled to remember what she looked like and yea, I can see it now, i didn't even think about it when she appeared.

I completely missed every clue and all these little hints we had for this twist, I was on the ball last season, but this one I hadn't a clue, I don't think I thought we were going to get another big one.

Ray flipped before Elliot got the site back up. He found out what was on it after Elliot screwed up the migration and was disgusted with what he was facilitating but was unwilling to publicly take a stand against it. Elliot was his answer; he knew he would rat him out if he got him to finish the migration so he played along and acted pissed publicly then got Elliot to finish the job knowing the outcome. Once it was done he got the guard to leave him and Elliot alone so he could thank him privately and warn him to be careful of the pissed off inmates.

Ahhh, okay, yes. This makes a lot more sense--thanks for the explanation!

Top Bottom