• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

TheKeyPit

Banned
Just as a side note: With stories like in Mr. Robot that show a person having mental health problems I always joke about them sitting in a corner of a mental health facility for the whole time. That twist still surprised me, because I watched every episode without thinking about them afterwards.

I just caught up via binging and I didn't see the twist coming at all, cool.

looking back on it now, there were A LOT of signs

haha guess that's one fun thing about not letting your mind rest a weak to process stuff and theorize on the internet with tons of other people

cLOUDo

Are the people seriously complain about the twist?
Besides everyone (me includes) belive he was in a mental institution
So the real twist is not that he was locked, but he was on jail

Is season 1 all over again

Naw. Vera had more purpose beyond Elliot which made him unique. Characters who are designed to relate / build up another character aren't that good overall because they're usually forgettable on their own.

What purpose did he even have? I've seen people say Vera was compelling, but there was really nothing to him. Underneath all that monologuing is a pretty common egomaniacal criminal.

Speaking of worthless characters, why is Joanna still a character on this show?

I love looking at her face, but she hasn't had a single moment of consequence all season. It's like having five minutes devoted to checking in on Bill every episode.

The only question more troubling is why the ECorp legal counsel still hasn't visited her house after all these weeks.

Speaking of worthless characters, why is Joanna still a character on this show?

I love looking at her face, but she hasn't had a single moment of consequence all season. It's like having five minutes devoted to checking in on Bill every episode.

The only question more troubling is why the ECorp legal counsel still hasn't visited her house after all these weeks.

I wouldn't say Joanna is worthless, her end goal is to try and find out what happened to Tyrell. That's why she's been looking for Elliot when she spoke to the parking lot attendant. Her story is why I think Mr. Robot is lying when he said he shot Tyrell. No one else (that I know of) would know to gift her with a silver baby spoon, or a music box with a burner phone.

ECorp doesn't really have a reason to meet with her. They're trying to distance themselves from the Wellicks considering all the tabloid nonsense, and that Tyrell is implicated in the 5/9 attack.

ECorp doesn't really have a reason to meet with her. They're trying to distance themselves from the Wellicks considering all the tabloid nonsense, and that Tyrell is implicated in the 5/9 attack.
I meant why the counsel (the woman whose house Darlene's taken over) hasn't gone back to visit her own house after all this time.

Kreed

I wish I hadn't been reading this thread prior to the recent episode because I would have been legitimately surprised by the twist, but it was still a great episoe. Everything about the Ray storyline makes sense now though. How Ray even found Elliot in the first place and knew he was good with computers, how he was freely having access to Elliot after beating him up/etc... That said, I definitely want to know what Elliot is in jail for. Lenny Shannon hacking is the most obvious, but realistically how much time would Elliot get for what he did to Lenny alone? That's why I'm thinking he turned himself in like Jay Shadow pointed out.

shem935

Banned
Haven't seen it discussed (though I'm sure it has been) but during eliots dream imagining what he has to fight for a few episodes ago:
Romero wasn't in it while all the previous hackers were around the dinner table. Would lead me to believe Mr.Robot killed him. Just some random speculation that might not be new.

What? I don't think that's what that scene meant.
Sharon once remarked that she liked Joanna's earrings and Joanna said she liked hers. When Tyrell killed Sharon, he took her earrings. Joanna was seen last episode with Sharon's earrings.

...am I remembering all of this correctly?

You guys are going to laugh at me so hard when they uncover Tyrell's body in the cement or something.

Zoe

Sharon once remarked that she liked Joanna's earrings and Joanna said she liked hers. When Tyrell killed Sharon, he took her earrings. Joanna was seen last episode with Sharon's earrings.

...am I remembering all of this correctly?

You guys are going to laugh at me so hard when they uncover Tyrell's body in the cement or something.
I don't remember him taking her earrings. I thought they were the same earrings he gave her, showing that she still loved him (despite her rejecting him in the previouslies).

I meant why the counsel (the woman whose house Darlene's taken over) hasn't gone back to visit her own house after all this time.

IIRC, fsociety mentioned that they have a few months before Madame Executioner revisits her home. I don't think that much time has passed between episodes 2.0 and 2.5.

Monocle

I'm not really digging this season. It recaptures so little of what I like about Season 1, and what it's offered up instead just isn't engaging enough.

Biggest disappointment this year since Preacher.

What purpose did he even have? I've seen people say Vera was compelling, but there was really nothing to him. Underneath all that monologuing is a pretty common egomaniacal criminal.

Because that's what he actually was. His monologues were bullshit. All Vera is, is the offline consequences to Elliot's interference: he talked big shit with his PC but he couldn't handle how the world actually worked. This plays well into this season of how even though ECorp was dealt a blow they don't feel as if they've won.

Jacobi

Banned
I wouldn't say Joanna is worthless, her end goal is to try and find out what happened to Tyrell. That's why she's been looking for Elliot when she spoke to the parking lot attendant. Her story is why I think Mr. Robot is lying when he said he shot Tyrell. No one else (that I know of) would know to gift her with a silver baby spoon, or a music box with a burner phone.

Maybe Mr. Robot sent those presents...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My idea on Tyrell
hes chilling with Vera right now. Elliot called in a favor (blackmail). Said to hold on to this dude in perpetuity (didn't Vera say he was leaving town for a long while?) but don't kill him, this is just a favor till Elliot/Mr Robot can figure out their shit and what the next step is in the master plan. That's why Joanna is still receiving gifts. He isn't dead he's just out under deep cover.

Patchy

Banned
The twist itself would have been fine. If it had taken 3 episodes. 7 is taking the piss and is borderline self-indulgent film making from Esmail.

This season hasn't been anywhere near as good as 1 in my opinion, I truly hope after the reveal things pick up for the remainder.

Maybe Mr. Robot sent those presents...

Except IIRC, Elliot had tried looking for information on Tyrell only to realize that he couldn't find much trace of him in S1 (as he thought it was bait for Tyrell to find information on Elliot if he was hacked). Elliot would need an asspull of epic proportions to know such details on the Wellick family. Also, Mr. Robot isn't going to give a shit about the Wellick family, all he wants is to destroy ECorp.

This season is reminding me a bit of the first half of Hannibal S3 which, while good, was a bit too masturbatory.

Agreed this show is not as engaging as i would like it and it's falling into the netflix formula of seasons dragging on too long. Peaky blinders is my favorite show on TV and it's neatly paced into 6 episodes.

Zakalwe

Banned
Completely disagree with the pacing complaints. This season has felt perfect in that regard, it's been slower sure but in a dream-like-floaty sense rather than a drag.

I like it just as much as s1.

*shrugs*

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This season is reminding me a bit of the first half of Hannibal S3 which, while good, was a bit too masturbatory.
So it's beautiful and poetic? Filled with grace and wonderment most television shows wish it could achieve in 10 minutes of a season?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So what the hell was going on in the sitcom episode. A dream to protect Elliot from what was happening in the reality of his dream that he concocted to deal with what was actually happening in reality. I really hope they can stick the landing on this one, because right now the whole mess that seemed to be finally coming together is seeming disjointed again.

So what the hell was going on in the sitcom episode. A dream to protect Elliot from what was happening in the reality of his dream that he concocted to deal with what was actually happening in reality. I really hope they can stick the landing on this one, because right now the whole mess that seemed to be finally coming together is seeming disjointed again.

mj53uKp.gif

He created the 'regimen' dream to cope with being in prison.

Mr Robot threw him into the sitcom when he was assaulted in order to protect him psychologically as his body suffered. He then wakes up back in the 'regimen'.

Once his release papers come and Leon killed those dudes, he doesn't need the 'regimen' anymore and it gets erased and shows us the reality of where he is.

zeshakag

I think Mr. Robot was trying to implant the idea that Tyrell really is dead by so strongly alluding to the body in the trunk.

I think Mr. Robot wants to do some big shit with Tyrell who is obviously alive but doesn't want Elliott to fuck it up.

At the same time he wants to protect Elliott while he gets his ass whooped.

The sitcom and the trunk must have been step one of lying to Elliott about Tyrell.

Also, as the creator said, he dropped a shit ton of clues so this isn't really a twist. This is Elliott becoming secure enough to finally become honest with us, which is itself a plot advancement. Elliott is letting us in for real. He didn't trust us but now does, we trusted him but now don't at all.

Leon working for White Rose was the real twist IMO.

This episode plays with the more meta concept of the handshake, and how it needs to go both ways to initiate real communication. I think it did a good job with it with the interactions between Jay and Elliott, Dom and Angela, Angela and Darlene, and Elliott and us.

Elliott's opening dialogue seemed to be a fakeout but he was definitely alluding to eventually opening up with us. (Fun tidbit: Elliott is referencing the handshake process on the layer 4 level, which consists of the client sending a SYN packet, the target replying with an ACK packet, the sender sends a SYN ACK packet and the conversation can begin. SYN = hello, ACK = I see you, SYN ACK= hello, I see you. Let's talk.).

Season 2 is definitely not as good but I think this episode is very strong.

Tamanon

Banned
I can't see him in jail for Tyrell's murder, since there were several news reports on this season talking about how he was wanted for the attacks.

Top Bottom