• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's odd when they show Elliot and Mr. Robot in two different locations(far away enough to imply that he can see the inside of a building and the outside at the same time), which implies that every time this happens, one of them is seeing a false reality(like the train car for example). This is one of the few episodes where they actually show the false reality and only partially. Most of the time it's really vague and you just have to observe that if one of them is talking to someone, that's most likely where Elliot really is.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Anyone else thinks Michael Cristofer is freaking amazing in this show?

El Topo

Tyrell being a megalomaniac psychopath is exactly why returning to ECorp doesn't seem to be in the cards, he has too much pride to return to a place that he feels he gave his all to and got nothing in return (aka entitlement). He doesn't really care about the revolution (after all he is a businessman) as much as he cares about how bringing a conglomerate like ECorp, gives him this sense of power. It's almost like he thinks he's better than them now that he saw Elliot brought ECorp down to its knees. So now that he's attracted to this kind of power, it makes sense that he'd join Elliot even if it's for completely different reasons than why Elliot and fsociety did what they did. As for clearing his name, he's going to need a lot of evidence to prove he wasn't involved. Also, going with stopping the hack story means he has to out another person in order for his story to make sense.

I don't think that fits his character. Bringing down E Corp may be satisfying in theory, but in practice he was barely involved and while he is the public enemy, that's not going to satisfy his narcisissm much. Furthermore, it doesn't fit how incredibly ambitious and out for his personal gains he is, nor does it tie into his relation with Joanna. Whatever is happening, if he is willing to help, there must be a clear benefit for him, bigger than stopping the hack (and becoming a hero). I also don't think clearing his name is the big problem, assuming (as mentioned) they have a scapegoat or other means to bring him into good light.

Just to be clear: I don't think this is necessarily the case, I just feel like that if Tyrell is actively (and voluntarily) involved in Stage 2, there has to be some payoff for him, not just bringing down a company.

g0tm1lk

Tyrell is most likely dead. Mr Robot probably shot him with the popcorn gun, that's the ammunition shell the FBI found at fsociety. He probably killed Romero too.
What did Mr Robot do with Tyrell's body? I don't know, but it may involve the SUV in the parking lot.
That's what's been hinted in the show so far but it's way too obvious so it has to be something else to have a "surprising" twist like most think.

joms5

Tyrell is not dead. However he may have faked his death to avoid prosecution for killing the CTO's wife.

He calls Elliot at the beginning of Season 2, which some could argue was all in Elliot's head. He has been sending gifts and calling his wife. Mr Robot implies that Elliot killed Tyrell and we all think that's why he's locked up. But we now know that he was locked up for hacking. Mr Robot speaks will Tyrell in his SUV even before Tyrell confronts Elliot and talks of being allies.

Plus he's way to interesting of a character to be dead. Plus his name is always in the opening credits. Even when he doesn't appear in an episode. He's not dead.

Season 2 will end with his reappearance. Mark my words.

And if i'm wrong I pray someone doesn't quote this post when it doesn't happen. :p

Cth

RE: Tyrellinger's Cat

Anyone wanna delve into the symbolism of the sitcom episode?

The sitcom heavily implied he was alive/captured. Elliot's mind was taking a vacation with Mr Robot being in the drivers seat so to speak. Elliot was able to get glimpses at what was happening but kept being urged to "keep his eyes on the road" while Mr Robot puts this stuff in Elliot's rear view mirror (getting past it)

Tyrell is heavily implied to be alive still, but captured/isolated. The tire iron death being what Mr Robot wants to do to him, and will if Elliot doesn't stop snooping around. (presumably he's instrumental to Phase 2 which Elliot is being kept in the dark about)

Gideon was struck out of the blue by a random passerby and died quickly. Metaphor for how he died and how Elliot feels guilty/responsible.

g0tm1lk

He calls Elliot at the beginning of Season 2, which some could argue was all in Elliot's head

You don't say...

He has been sending gifts and calling his wife.

How do you know that?

Mr Robot implies that Elliot killed Tyrell and we all think that's why he's locked up

Really?

Mr Robot speaks will Tyrell in his SUV even before Tyrell confronts Elliot and talks of being allies.

So?

If that's your best argument for "Tyrell is alive" I have some bad news for you.

dan2026

You can't believe dick in this show.

The protagonist lies to the audience.
The protagonists split personality lies to the protagonist.
Nobody is telling to truth to anyone.

I half expect the next episode reveal is that the whole show is taking place on Mars in the far future.
This is also a lie.

Magwik

Banned
If Tyrell was dead we as the viewers would have gotten a flashback to confirm it. They've been playing too coy with Joanna and her stuff for him not to be alive.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm only on episode 5 of this season and while it's addicting, I'm just assuming every single person is some fragment of Elliot's ego, and the show will end when they ask what the E stands for in E-corp and it turns out to be Elliot.

I don't know what to believe anymore, Elliot/Mr Robot are heavily misleading us.
It's getting old, like Esmail doesn't trust that the narrative is engaging enough on its own without all these added layers of unintelligibility.

The show is at its best when it's in pure espionage, scheming, high-tension mode. It falls apart when it confuses obfuscation with suspense.

Jarmel

Banned
It's getting old, like Esmail doesn't trust that the narrative is engaging enough on its own without all these added layers of unintelligibility.

The show is at its best when it's in pure espionage, scheming, high-tension mode. It falls apart when it confuses obfuscation with suspense.

If there's a season three, I hope they cut back on it as it's getting kinda old.

That was the part of the show I liked least!

uh nah, this show is at its best when its scaring the fuck out of me like BOB's face appearing over Leland Palmer's I mean jesus am i the only one who got fucked up by this episode

Acerac

Banned

Can't really agree with this post at all.

The approach has felt extremely unique, I've loved this ride.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like if the Dark Army is working really closely with Elliot/Mr Robot on this grand plan, they must be somewhat aware of the fact that he's a split personality psycho. It's a group that magically knows everything about everyone. Even Tyrell understood the difference between regular Elliot and Mr Robot (if we can believe that early season phone call as being real).

Wait until we get to the parallel universe travelling twist.
LOL, I'm still waiting for the universe where Amazon will finally ship those Zero Time Dilemma watches =P

Tyrell lives somewhere... I hope...
Maybe he'll come back to replace Mr. Robot as his new duo persona.

El Topo

LOL, I'm still waiting for the universe where Amazon will finally ships those Zero Time Dilemma watches =P

Tyrell lives somewhere... I hope...
Maybe he'll come back to replace Mr. Robot as his new duo persona.

Berenstain. Zhang talking about different universes. Pet project. The proof is there. *dun-dun-duuuuun* /s

WTF is Whiterose doing in those ecorp plants? Why is it so serious that Angela almost got murdered? This is the biggest new mystery to me.

I think the point is Angela can't really do shit despite her noble intentions. She joined ECorp to try and change things from within (but really it seems like she's trying to bring them down in a different way kind of like how Mr. Robot is trying to kill ECorp through hacking), and now that she has access to extremely incriminating information but is afraid of being scapegoated/murdered either by corrupt government workers, or by other ECorp executives.

As for Whiterose, people have been jumping on the theory that Washington Township Plant was a front for unethical human experiments being conducted by ECorp to simulate the 5/9 attack, so that they could play Emperor Nero and change business by essentially burning Rome (by extension, Elliot and Mr. Robot is basically the end result of their experiment). I personally disagree and think it's a bunk theory. For one, if it was truly the case then Price would have known AND been able to play his way through the crash as expected, rather than being frustrated that he's being denied the opportunity to save ECorp. Not to mention, in the Whiterose-Price scene, it seems that the Washington Township scandal is used as leverage for both Whiterose and Price for completely different reasons, which would make the theory pretty strange to apply. In other words, I don't buy it.

That doesn't really make sense considering that Esmail isn't trying to "fool" or confuse the audience when you consider that the details have always been there (Mr. Robot mimicking Elliot's mannerisms in S1, Surrealistic setting in S2). Elliot going to prison isn't a gimmick designed to be a shocking reveal, it was a plot point where Elliot took advantage of prison as a means to try to control and reduce Mr. Robot's influence, an experience that he's slowly realizing is failing. The same goes for the Fight Club twist in S1.

Duesy

I think Joanna is a bigger player in this plan than what is let on, but only time will tell. This show is notorious for dropping bombs that shatter everything you thought was happening.

I wish it was Wednesday every day :(

Mind blown.....Did not know his friend Leon is the rapper Joey Bad$$?? I sort of saw a video on youtube with the name but thought the actor might just look like him. Never really listened to his rapping but damn he killed it in his firs tv show!

I finally watched season 1, pretty good

I want to catch up on season 2 but Rogers in Canada only has episode 5 and 6 on demand right now, really lame, I get the channel the show airs on but I'd be lost jumping into the middle of a season

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Man this season is killing it. I'm enthralled. The negativity I've seen is baffling.
I think it's been a rough season. Nothing has really happened. It's like they thought they would only last one season and realized they had to write a lot of filler for whatever plan they had for S2.

There have been some good moments, but veiling the prison was a misstep, I think. There was no need to do that. In the end it was just nothing. I mean, it does say a lot about Elliot's state, but they should have done something else.

kirblar

I think it's been a rough season. Nothing has really happened. It's like they thought they would only last one season and realized they had to write a lot of filler for whatever plan they had for S2.

There have been some good moments, but veiling the prison was a misstep, I think. There was no need to do that. In the end it was just nothing. I mean, it does say a lot about Elliot's state, but they should have done something else.
I don't think it's that- I think they weren't expecting the episode extension, and so the pacing's off.

Just saw the last episode

I'm on the positive side here

Loving the ride now especially now that things feel like they are falling into place even though that place is a dark abyss lol

Monocle

Yep. This season killed all the momentum built up in the first one, and only got rolling again in the last few episodes. It's been held back by some bizarre creative choices, like keeping most of the principal characters separate most of the time.

The show has lost a lot of its panache. Even the soundtrack isn't nearly as good.

Angela's arc, Whiterose's machinations, Dom's arc, Tyrell, the whole of fsociety...each major story thread has gone off the rails. Arguably the most coherent is Angela's, and even she's been taking forever to get anywhere. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not like Hannibal S3 where the first few slow episodes make perfect sense given what the characters had gone through.

This show is finally exciting again, but it took far too long to pick up.

meh i think some of the s2 episodes are the strongest this has been creatively.

the writing was never Mr. Robot's strong suit anyways the more it goes into the narrative the crappier it is, and without tyrell and upping Sam Esmail's experimentation I'm getting something a lot more interesting personally. Some of the scenes in this season remind me a lot of The Matrix when Neo was still not completely awake to the reality of his situation.

bitbydeath

Season 2 is better than the first IMO.

a0C4T9v.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm still just as into it as Season 1 and having just as many heated discussion IRL as I was during season 1.

Top Bottom