• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Monocle

This latest episode has the rapid-fire high stakes hustle that the season should have opened with.

If you're tempted to read this as some juvenile wish for instant gratification, understand that I wouldn't be calling for a more propulsive first episode if the Season 1 finale hadn't stranded us on a peak of fateful tension, with Elliot, Tyrell, fsociety, and Whiterose poised to leap into the currents of social disarray, post-5/9.

The show's bizarrely sedated return let all of that dramatic buildup just drain away. It's mystifying. Great episodes like tonight's only increase my disappointment with S2's opening direction.

So is there any Memes on the internet yet about how shitty these Dark Army assassins are at their job and how easily they have to self destruct every time they fail? Lol!!

That was by far the dumbest way to "ambush" or "surprise" attack a target...

Wouldn't it make more sense to 1) use silenced guns.
2) Pull the motor bike slightly closer to the diner, instead of half a block away?
3) better yet use a less conspicuous get away car?
4) walk into the dinner (with helmet/some sort of a mask on)
Quietly and execute your target(s) from a better Vantage point and have a closer and clearer shot??
You know instead of spraying bullets indiscriminately at the window of the diner like it's some kind of a terrorist attack.

Are these guys suppose to be some
Crazy, trained ninjas? They are just horrible at thier assination attempts.

I've gotta say, Sam Esmail is pushing the boundaries of directing. He really knows how to hold a long shot.

I like that in this episode we lose Darlene while simultaneously giving Elliot a romantic subplot. I think when Elliot finds out what happened it'll make Angela all the more important to him.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Another amazing episode.

So basically fsociety is blown now right? Dead or alive Darlene is going to lead directly to Elliot.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've gotta say, Sam Esmail is pushing the boundaries of directing. He really knows how to hold a long shot.

I like that in this episode we lose Darlene while simultaneously giving Elliot a romantic subplot. I think when Elliot finds out what happened it'll make Angela all the more important to him.

I swear every episode I am just completely blown away by the cinematography and directing. Like every shot is perfectly framed.

LewieP

Another amazing episode.

So basically fsociety is blown now right? Dead or alive Darlene is going to lead directly to Elliot.

She might be able to convince them she had nothing to do with it, and was just there with Cisco. Probably would require some lies that eventually unravel, but might buy her some time. She'd have prints in the apartment, and possibly Elliot's conviction and connection to her would raise some flags.

CRS

It wouldn't make sense for Dom NOT to figure everything out. Darlene and Angela are childhood friends, Angela's involved, Cicso part of the Dark Army,L and in a relationsip with Darlene, etc. There's too much evidence.

kirblar

It wouldn't make sense for Dom NOT to figure everything out. Darlene and Angela are childhood friends, Angela's involved, Cicso part of the Dark Army,L and in a relationsip with Darlene, etc. There's too much evidence.
Season 3 has gotta be a big paradigm shift.

Curufinwe

So is there any Memes on the internet yet about how shitty these Dark Army assassins are at their job and how easily they have to self destruct every time they fail? Lol!!

That was by far the dumbest way to "ambush" or "surprise" attack a target...

Wouldn't it make more sense to 1) use silenced guns.
2) Pull the motor bike slightly closer to the diner, instead of half a block away?
3) better yet use a less conspicuous get away car?
4) walk into the dinner (with helmet/some sort of a mask on)
Quietly and execute your target(s) from a better Vantage point and have a closer and clearer shot??
You know instead of spraying bullets indiscriminately at the window of the diner like it's some kind of a terrorist attack.

Are these guys suppose to be some
Crazy, trained ninjas? They are just horrible at thier assination attempts.

Probably not considering spraying bullets from Uzis and using motorcycles is how actual assassinations were often done in Colombia.

RS4-

What a show. Good lord.

re: DA assassins, I wonder if they're really there to just scare the shit out of Dom instead of actually killing her. Sounds stupid, but eh.

Cth

I couldn't help but think of Blues Clues when Elliot asked us to look for clues in the apartment.

This show is awesome!

Cth

Also, throw me in the "Those two diners were not Darlene and Cisco" camp... Just another silly camera trickery, by the (@Esmail) director/writers.

Can someone check the video again and see if there's a TV in the diner that they could get a heads up from?

She might be able to convince them she had nothing to do with it, and was just there with Cisco. Probably would require some lies that eventually unravel, but might buy her some time. She'd have prints in the apartment, and possibly Elliot's conviction and connection to her would raise some flags.

The FBI was in her apartment which had the VHS tape with her unmasked. No chance she can get out of that.

Zoe

If those two weren't them, then Dom sure spent a long time talking to people who didn't matter.

Don't forget she has Cisco's real picture and name.

El Topo

There is definitely no camera trickery, unless there just happen to be two people eating at the same spot (see the lights outside), in the same position (woman left, man right) with similar clothes (red hat) that very night.
It's also most definitely the same restaurant (sign, lights outside, general look). If they pulled the whole "Totally different scene" stunt it would be utter bullshit.

Can someone check the video again and see if there's a TV in the diner that they could get a heads up from?

I don't see a TV there. There *might* be one in there, see the cables that go from the sign to some box (?), but I can't tell.

There is definitely no camera trickery, unless there just happen to be two people eating at the same spot (see the lights outside), in the same position (woman left, man right) with similar clothes (red hat) that very night.
It's also most definitely the same restaurant (sign, lights outside, general look). If they pulled the whole "Totally different scene" stunt it would be utter bullshit.

Yea I retract my guess/theory that it wasnt them. That was my first guess because of how the scene was shot from that long angle and how it intentionally blurred the people in the diner so you couldn't be absolutely sure it was them.

After thinking about it I think it just allowed them to frame a shocking and graphic scene without needing to show the bloody details up close and in a very unique and interesting looking way.

It would be a travesty if Sam Esmail doesnt win an award from his directing and cinematography for this season. Mr Robot is the most visually interesting TV show ive seen since True Detective Season 1.

Sane_Man

I thought this episode was the finale for some reason and was annoyed when the credits came up. Amazing episode. I think I spoilt something from the IMDB synopsis for next week's when I was looking if there were more episodes. Oh well.

That's them at the diner, no questions about it.

They look like them, and sound like them. The only thing that is a lie (note the Diner sign spelling it out after shootout) is Darlene dying. Cisco is dead, and hell he should've been dead episodes ago since he ticked off pretty much everyone in this show.

Not only did the FBI Agent recognized them and called all units, but the Dark Army recogniEd them as well and started shooting directly at them after taking nice, long paces with no mistakes or second takes.

--------------------------------

Now that this is out of the way, where is Mr. Robot? I got a feeling that Mr. Robot continued that conversation on the phone and Elliot blacked out. The whole sequence from the moment he answers the phonecall is surreal, and dreamlike.

A couple pieces of speculation that I've read around the web, may be spoiler-ey for the last couple episodes...

1. The two figures that walk up to Angela on the train after Elliott leaves are Mobley and Trenton, who have altered their appearance. Not sure if I buy this.

2. The address that Elliott traces the phone to are coming from Scott Knowles (EvilCorp's CTO whose wife Tyrell murdered last season). This makes a lot of sense actually (here's the reddit post that backs it up)--although I'll agree it seems weird that the call would make Mr. Robot disappear.

3. I've read a couple recaps that theorize that Tyrell will emerge as a third personality of Elliott's (and he's actually dead). but I dunno. I feel like this is too much of a shark jumping moment.
I've really enjoyed this season (every time the end credits start I'm reminded of "Executive Producer Vince Gilligan") but I agree that it's dragged a bit and might have been better as a ten-episode season instead of twelve.

Zoe

There's good evidence on the Reddit sub for the two people on the train.
It doesn't seem like a huge revelation if true but will make for nice easter eggs during rewatches.

Arkeband

Banned
3. I've read a couple recaps that theorize that Tyrell will emerge as a third personality of Elliott's (and he's actually dead). but I dunno. I feel like this is too much of a shark jumping moment.

It would make sense, they'd be
Elliot's devil and angel on his shoulders, pulling and pushing him into different situations - one bent on bold self preservation, the other on subversive world revolution.

-griffy-

Banned
What a show. Good lord.

re: DA assassins, I wonder if they're really there to just scare the shit out of Dom instead of actually killing her. Sounds stupid, but eh.

Pretty sure the assassins in this episode were out to kill Cisco, exactly as Dom predicted would happen if they went public with the police sketches. That's why she was so intent on finding them so quickly. Dom wasn't a target in this instance, she was just there cause they were looking for the same person.

Also looking at a gif, just noticed that the Don't Walk signal is literally a countdown to the shooting:
ygCPwue.gif

And the diner sign gets shot out and appears to spell "Lies."

zsynqx

Just finished the episode, fuck this show is good. So glad I didn't give up on it after the slow start this season.

Also looking at a gif, just noticed that the Don't Walk signal is literally a countdown to the shooting:
ygCPwue.gif

Oh shit.

Cisco definitely dead, not sure about Darlene

Top Bottom