• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple drone sightings ground flights at Gatwick Airport

EssKayZee

From BBC:

Gatwick's runway has been shut since Wednesday night, when two devices were seen flying over the perimeter fence.

The airport said 110,000 passengers on 760 flights were due to fly on Thursday.

Police were still hunting for the drone operator after another device was reported just before 07:00 GMT.

Details at link.

Mohonky

Morons. Way to ruin it for everyone.

It'll only get worse. Post Christmas is the worst as thousands more people become owners but lack anything resembling common sense.

Though the hundreds of 'lost drone' posts are always a giggle.

Breakage

Yeah, it's still the main news. It looks as if the drone operator is playing a game of cat-and-mouse.
I suppose it makes a change from hearing about the ridiculous outrage over Corbyn's "stupid woman" comment.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good to know I can outwit an entire airport (and now apparently the fucking army) using something I can buy on Amazon. What a farce.

In the future, I predict drone hunting to be a lucrative and necessary job. Since firing ammunition into the area in crowded populated areas is a bad idea, the only way to truly destroy the drones is with a jet pack and a morning star. This will, of course, lead to a gladiatorial combat show on a broadcast network that, for obvious reasons, will be extremely popular. This will lead to children growing up wanting to be a drone hunter, but there's only so many drones and there won't be the number necessary to support such a sizable group of hunters. Then we'll have to grow drones in captivity, releasing into special drone hunting state parks where drone hunters will operate with a license and a quota. But it won't be enough. Eventually, all of society will be nothing but drone hunters, and we truly will be the last of us.

In the future, I predict drone hunting to be a lucrative and necessary job. Since firing ammunition into the area in crowded populated areas is a bad idea, the only way to truly destroy the drones is with a jet pack and a morning star. This will, of course, lead to a gladiatorial combat show on a broadcast network that, for obvious reasons, will be extremely popular. This will lead to children growing up wanting to be a drone hunter, but there's only so many drones and there won't be the number necessary to support such a sizable group of hunters. Then we'll have to grow drones in captivity, releasing into special drone hunting state parks where drone hunters will operate with a license and a quota. But it won't be enough. Eventually, all of society will be nothing but drone hunters, and we truly will be the last of us.
Sign me up for this world you've described.

cJSq1DQ.gif

I previously read that birds of prey had been trained to catch drones, unsure why they've not been deployed. Possibly the size/speed of the drone?

TOPSHOT-NETHERLANDS-ANIMAL-POLICE-EXERCISE.jpg

It got abandoned for fear of injury to drones rotors, and the birds themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadayi

Banned
Absolute assholes. Quite a few of my colleagues are from overseas and have been impacted by this. I hope they catch these fuckwads soon. This goes beyond a joke.

I'll get an 1/8th of what your smoking mate.

They're diverting all flights to Stansted tomorrow {Friday}

What is prevent people from doing this to other airports? Seems strange that if someone is going to this length they wouldn't be doing it elsewhere as well.

Flintty

Yeah, it's still the main news. It looks as if the drone operator is playing a game of cat-and-mouse.
I suppose it makes a change from hearing about the ridiculous outrage over Corbyn's "stupid woman" comment.

Holy shit, it’s probably Corbyn hiding in a bush controlling them, to bury the news.

Case closed.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of photos and videos in this day and age (all we have so far is a vague video of a flying light taken from inside a plane and someone looking up into the sky seeing a dot flying around but no indication where the filming is done) has me wondering what kind of bullshit this is. Something doesn't smell right, and I'm not a conspiracy kinda guy.

TFGB

What I’m miffed by is that apparently there’s a helicopter on standby, and drone batteries last approximately 30 minutes max before needing to be changed, so why can’t the helicopter follow the drone to its landing point?

ruvikx

Banned
What I’m miffed by is that apparently there’s a helicopter on standby, and drone batteries last approximately 30 minutes max before needing to be changed, so why can’t the helicopter follow the drone to its landing point?

Because the official story is bogus? The British government & police are pathological liars & have been exposed as such many times before (especially in terror related cases when they want to sanitize a story for PC reasons). So, I'm not inclined to believe them - especially considering they also regularly silence the media.

Typhares

Well I'm flying back home from there tomorrow, it looks like it's getting back to normal so I should be fine.
It does sound weird to shut down for so long for a drone.

TFGB

Because the official story is bogus? The British government & police are pathological liars & have been exposed as such many times before (especially in terror related cases when they want to sanitize a story for PC reasons). So, I'm not inclined to believe them - especially considering they also regularly silence the media.
Without putting on my tin-foil hat, I’m inclined to agree that the story is, in fact, bogus. For all we know, it could’ve been a UFO and the drone synopsis is a poor cover-up.

thief183

Without putting on my tin-foil hat, I’m inclined to agree that the story is, in fact, bogus. For all we know, it could’ve been a UFO and the drone synopsis is a poor cover-up.

....damn.... yea! I'm totally for this.

Btw, when a small drone can stop a huge airplane we have done something wrong...

ruvikx

Banned
Btw, when a small drone can stop a huge airplane we have done something wrong...

Someone with a (popular) youtube channel & a "I want to go to prison" sadomasochism mindset could try flying a drone over an airport in the UK & film what happens, namely how fast it's immobilized & how fast the authorities intervene.

I'm pretty certain major international airports have contingencies in place for such eventualities.

thief183

Someone with a (popular) youtube channel & a "I want to go to prison" sadomasochism mindset could try flying a drone over an airport in the UK & film what happens, namely how fast it's immobilized & how fast the authorities intervene.

I'm pretty certain major international airports have contingencies in place for such eventualities.
That's what I was thinking. I was sure that you couldn't even come close to an ariport with a drone....

Chittagong

Gold Member
Something is off here.

Heathrow has had tons of drone sightings and multiple hits, yet they have never shut the whole airport down, or sent in the army. What about these drones is so special? How come BBC (who did Planet Earth and Blue Planet with some insanely rare sightings) have managed to film just a small black dot? How come one of the top ten military powers in the world seemingly has no tech to counter a simple drone? What if one of these flew with an explosive payload to the Queen, surely they could drop it?

Nothing makes sense about this.

Top Bottom