• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music of my generation (91-97) >>>>>> All

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pickles the Firecat said:
Meanwhile, in reality!

Best Selling Album: Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette

Top Five Singles:

01. Spice Girls - Wannabe
02. The Fugees - Killing Me Softly
03. Los Del Rio - Macarena
04. Oasis - Wonderwall
05. Robert Miles - Children

Heh, I didn't know Children was THAT popular. I mean I knew it was a big song (especially in terms of EDM) but not in Macarena or Spice Girls or Oasis territory.

anaron said:
S/he forgot a shitload more than that masterpiece. Seriously ew@OP's list.

During the "decline" in the OP is when music got really real. Spiritualized, Portishead, Built To Spill. OP was spot on, but looking in the wrong direction.

f0rk

EliCash said:
I thought this song was made and brought out for Christmas 2009? For the xmas number 1?

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. If you are you should probably step out of this music thread.

OP here, yup Im 31 going on 32.

And to be honest my Ipod is filled to the brim with 90's stuff I have to be honest.

My favorite band tho, which I think is better then every band Ive listed...The Mars Volta
My other "top" bands would prob be..
1. TMV
2. Tool
3. Nine Inch Nails
4. At the Drive In
5. The White stripes

Besides those bands the only "newer" music I enjoy is The Black Keys, The Strokes and The Killers.

lunarworks said:
You assume too much.

qys5li.gif

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I was born in '63, so this era was a bit ahead of my time, but the window between '70 and '78 is hard to top. In just the first 6 months of '70, for example, these were released:

Back in the USA - MC5
Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
Chicago - Chicago
American Woman - The Guess Who
Argent - Argent
Hello, I'm Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Moondance - Van Morrison
Leon Russell - Leon Russell
Morrison Hotel - The Doors
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix
The Isaac Hayes Movement - Isaac Hayes
On tour with Eric Clapton - Delaney & Bonnie
Elton John - Elton John
McCartney - Paul McCartney
Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
Eric Burdon Declares WAR - Eric Burdon & War
Live Cream - Cream
ABC - The Jackson 5
Let it Be - The Beatles
In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson
Live at Leeds - The Who
Self Portrait - Bob Dylan
Workingman's Dead - The Grateful Dead
Ecology - Rare Earth
Fire and Water - Free
Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart
Runt - Todd Rundgren

So, uh, yeah, I'll just take this 6 month window over the entirety of your 90's era list.
And frankly, this might not have been the best half of '70....

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pickles the Firecat said:
NINETIES BRINGING THAT HOT FIRE STRAIGHT TO YOUR RADIO!!!!!

exactly and that's why most people believe this was the only good music (back then).

A few people in this thread get it. The rest of you don't.

Music doesn't ever stop. There's always going to be good and bad. So either you used to actually give a shit what you listened to back then and sought out those new sounds or you're like you are now...soulless and without the perception to seek out something that isn't being placed in the top 40 charts (because the top 40's is soooooooooo indicative as to what the music scene is pushing nowadays #sarcasm).

Hakkuei

Pkm said:
While Im admitting, good music has been made from 98-till now, all Im saying is if you look at my list of albums released in that time period then you can see EVERY year had quite a few groundbreaking releases, unlike how it is now where we might get 1-2 good albums per year.
Whaaaaaaaaaat. We got a shitload of good albums each year, heck just 2010 had like 30 good albums.

q_q

Kano On The Phone said:
There isn't a person alive who doesn't feel like the music made when they were at their most impressionable is the most important ever made.
I'm alive.

The late 1960's through the 1970's kills it. I'd say the 1990's were greater than the 1980's, though; the 1980's was good for the rise of rap and hip-hop but was killed by corporate rock, hair metal, and bad pop (MJ and Prince aside, of course). The 2000's have had their share of good stuff, too, but it's been sort of a "growing pains" time for all of the arts in the new digital era.

There's honestly few eras for, well, EVERYTHING that I think as bad as the 1980's, though. I can't imagine anybody who didn't grow up in the 1980's thinking very positively of that particular decade.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
There's honestly few eras for, well, EVERYTHING that I think as bad as the 1980's, though. I can't imagine anybody who didn't grow up in the 1980's thinking very positively of that particular decade.

there's so many good bands from the 80s though.. it's easy for me to ignore all the nonsense

might simultaneously be best and worst decade lol

the internet is really amazing for filtering out the best of all eras

etiolate

Banned
There was good music in the 80s, but a lot of soulless buttrock and hair metal as well. That early 90s wave into the mid 90s was pretty strong. There wasn't stuff that forced you to switch stations. The 80s still had that problem.

As for the rule that everyone thinks their generation was the greatest, the later 90s and 2000s gen keeps yearning backwards in time for something better. That gen is defined by a rejection of their time and the retro-fantasy that replaces it.

Ive heard you guys mention alot of Electronica I guess it could be called..
Groups like Aqua and genres like Dubstep many of you mentioned, and I have to ask..

Is it a Euro thing?

Cause for the life of me I have never none anyone nor do I know anyone who listens to any of that type music.
I remember groups crossing over into mainstream radio such as The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Moby, and Fat Boy Slim but the only time I remember people really digging on electronica/dance music was in the late 90's early 00.

During that time a mass wave swept through NJ/Philly and EVERYONE was doing X giving back rubs and having near homosexual experiences. I didnt join in nor did my close friends, closes we came was enjoying a type of music called "Jungle" which we only enjoyed due to its use of Reggae.

Davidion

Pkm said:
Ive heard you guys mention alot of Electronica I guess it could be called..
Groups like Aqua and genres like Dubstep many of you mentioned, and I have to ask..

Is it a Euro thing?

Cause for the life of me I have never none anyone nor do I know anyone who listens to any of that type music.
I remember groups crossing over into mainstream radio such as The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Moby, and Fat Boy Slim but the only time I remember people really digging on electronica/dance music was in the late 90's early 00.

During that time a mass wave swept through NJ/Philly and EVERYONE was doing X giving back rubs and having near homosexual experiences. I didnt join in nor did my close friends, closes we came was enjoying a type of music called "Jungle" which we only enjoyed due to its use of Reggae.

It sounds like you just don't really have more than a cursive knowledge of the electronic music scene, not that there's anything particularly wrong with that.

While it is popular in Europe and is in fact more mainstream there, electronic music culture is pretty well developed around just about all parts of the world where pop culture thrives.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
tekumseh said:
I was born in '63, so this era was a bit ahead of my time, but the window between '70 and '78 is hard to top. In just the first 6 months of '70, for example, these were released:

Back in the USA - MC5
Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
Chicago - Chicago
American Woman - The Guess Who
Argent - Argent
Hello, I'm Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Moondance - Van Morrison
Leon Russell - Leon Russell
Morrison Hotel - The Doors
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
Deja Vu - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix
The Isaac Hayes Movement - Isaac Hayes
On tour with Eric Clapton - Delaney & Bonnie
Elton John - Elton John
McCartney - Paul McCartney
Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
Eric Burdon Declares WAR - Eric Burdon & War
Live Cream - Cream
ABC - The Jackson 5
Let it Be - The Beatles
In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson
Live at Leeds - The Who
Self Portrait - Bob Dylan
Workingman's Dead - The Grateful Dead
Ecology - Rare Earth
Fire and Water - Free
Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart
Runt - Todd Rundgren

So, uh, yeah, I'll just take this 6 month window over the entirety of your 90's era list.
And frankly, this might not have been the best half of '70....

You see, this is an impressive list of albums in terms of the influence they had on pop culture, but I wouldn't say I genuinely enjoy many of these albums in real terms compared to stuff released in the last ten years. It's like, I can appreciate Bob Dylan or the Who, but I wouldn't say that I like them. Yes it was important in defining rock music but I think people that only listen to 'the classics' are missing out on so much interesting stuff between the behemoths. I'd say that from your list I've heard about half of them and I only actually like one or two of them.

I was born in the 80s and thats when music reached its zenith with groundbreaking musicians such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Journey, Iron Maiden, and countless others. No decade will ever come close to the majesty of the 1980s. The peak of human civilization.

Hellcrow

Opeth - Morning Rise
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
In Flames - The Jester Race

Great year for Sweden. The only musical year I've noticed.

mokeyjoe

Empty said:
you listed lots of shitty rock from that period, but you missed stuff like

...entroducing - dj shadow
selected ambient works - aphex twin
richard d james album - aphex twin
tri repeatae - autechre
dummy - portishead

and the best album of that decade in loveless.

Yes! Just started listening to Aphex Twin, and Squarepusher :O Just some incredible stuff.

GoutPatrol said:
1900s was were its at. Look at this diversity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o - Claire de Lune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmruHc4S9Q - The Entertainer

CAN'T BE BEAT.

Totally - in fact the first half of the 20th Century was just innovation followed by innovation. In comparison most stuff from the 60s onwards has happened in slow motion, rescued only by the emergence of rap and synthesizers to save it from its introspective torpor, and even those have been drawn into the unambitious rock/rnb mainstream.

Honestly, there's been little real innovation since the early 80s. Pop is dying people, it's just a celebrity vehicle like reality TV - be it rock, pop, hip hop, whatever. But the avant-garde is in a stronger position than ever, be it electronica, classic, jazz, experimental or whatever, it has a vehicle for transmission in the internet and that's an exciting prospect.

overcast

I love 90's music, best rap music came out during that time frame.

But to say the 00s just suck is ridiculous. So much great music has come out in the past 11 years, to dismiss it as "crappy pop" and to group all the music in that period into the same group as hannah montana is just unfair to the great albums that have come. I am enjoying the music from this era plenty, unfortunate some people just can't.

Hixx

I would say 89-99 tho I went through a phase of thinking the 70s was untouchable in musical output. I wouldn't say it was truly bad at the moment, just dull. Too many one-album wonders. Shit like the 'xx' being considered an exciting new band... no!!

Also some of the electronic music from that decade is amazing. 808 State, Leftfield, Underworld, The Shamen, Orbital.

Bento

mokeyjoe said:
Honestly, there's been little real innovation since the early 80s. Pop is dying people, it's just a celebrity vehicle like reality TV - be it rock, pop, hip hop, whatever. But the avant-garde is in a stronger position than ever, be it electronica, classic, jazz, experimental or whatever, it has a vehicle for transmission in the internet and that's an exciting prospect.
Oh come on now, not this again! -.-

bjork

Well, the Spice Girls did rule. But looking at OP's lists, I wouldn't want to hear half of that trash nowadays, and didn't back then either.

EliCash said:
I thought this song was made and brought out for Christmas 2009? For the xmas number 1?

lol

Anyway if anything this thread has introduced me to new 90s music that is supposedly great. :) Although OP is wrong.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
brianjones said:
yet you like tallest man on earth? smh

I know, I appreciate the irony! It's hard to explain, there's something really brittle and... primitive? about those old recordings, I don;t find I can relax into them like a record that is more my kind of style. Don't get more wrong, there are probably a good 10-20 Dylan tracks that I absolutely love, but then there are twice as many again that leave me cold.

I know it's kind of heresy to say so too, if you're into modern music and appreciate the history then it's received wisdom that you should like the older stuff too, but it does very little for me really, outside of being interesting historical documents.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
I would say 89-99 tho I went through a phase of thinking the 70s was untouchable in musical output. I wouldn't say it was truly bad at the moment, just dull. Too many one-album wonders. Shit like the 'xx' being considered an exciting new band... no!!

Also some of the electronic music from that decade is amazing. 808 State, Leftfield, Underworld, The Shamen, Orbital.

Why not? They're not the best band in the world but their stripped down sound is pretty good and they've got a few good songs. It's not like they're going to save the world, but exciting? Yeah, I'd give them that, especially for people into that minimalist style.

brianjones said:
there's so many good bands from the 80s though.. it's easy for me to ignore all the nonsense

might simultaneously be best and worst decade lol

the internet is really amazing for filtering out the best of all eras

I might be being willfully obtuse on this, but I'm honestly having trouble remembering many bands that had their peak in the 1980's. Could some people throw out some examples to jog my memory?

Hixx

Jedeye Sniv said:
Why not? They're not the best band in the world but their stripped down sound is pretty good and they've got a few good songs. It's not like they're going to save the world, but exciting? Yeah, I'd give them that, especially for people into that minimalist style.

They're about as exciting as having constipation.

RDreamer

I was surprised that a significant portion of my favorite albums comes from between 2000 and 2010. That's probably because I was only 14 when we went into the 2000s, and I hadn't "really" got into music by then. There are some great albums in the 90s for me, too, but those were late 90s, usually. The rest of what I love was back in the 70s it seems.

I might be being willfully obtuse on this, but I'm honestly having trouble remembering many bands that had their peak in the 1980's. Could some people throw out some examples to jog my memory?

Metallica and Slayer, I suppose.

beat happening
big black
black flag
cocteau twins
the cramps
the cure
echo & the bunnymen
the feelies
galaxie 500
the gun club
happy mondays
husker du
jesus & mary chain
loop
mission of burma
my bloody valentine
new order
prince
r.e.m.
the replacements
the smiths
sonic youth
spacemen 3
stone roses
swans
talk talk
xtc

i didnt just type this up i had this from a different thread lol

im sure theres plenty more too

EliCash

The late 1960's through the 1970's kills it. I'd say the 1990's were greater than the 1980's, though; the 1980's was good for the rise of rap and hip-hop but was killed by corporate rock, hair metal, and bad pop (MJ and Prince aside, of course). The 2000's have had their share of good stuff, too, but it's been sort of a "growing pains" time for all of the arts in the new digital era.

These are my thoughts exactly.

It's just ridiculous looking back at some of the albums that came out from say 67 through to the mid/late 70s.

Anticitizen One said:
I was born in the 80s and thats when music reached its zenith with groundbreaking musicians such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Journey, Iron Maiden, and countless others. No decade will ever come close to the majesty of the 1980s. The peak of human civilization.
Well, the '80s certainly were bombastic. That's for sure. It was the decade of MTV.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Kano On The Phone said:
There isn't a person alive who doesn't feel like the music made when they were at their most impressionable is the most important ever made.

I listen to 70s music all of the time while I was born in the 80s. The 90s was a horrible decade for music.

winter

Umm, the 80s was the birth of indie rock and a lot of vastly important music came out of that era with a lot of it being more culturally relevant than ever. I think this "which decade was the best" is fucking stupid, especially considering music is a constant evolution of what came before it. But if people are seriously going to debate about this, the 80s competes just as well as any other decade:

The US
Pixies
REM
Sonic Youth
Husker Du
The Replacements
Galaxie 500
Mission of Burma
Big Black
Dinosaur Jr

UK
The Smiths
The Cure
Joy Division/New Order
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Echo and the Bunnymen
My Bloody Valentine
Spacemen 3
Bauhaus
Gang of Four
Cocteau Twins
The Pogues
The Fall

To everyone, their own generation is the best in music. True music lovers know that 60s-70s is the golden age is music.

80s is also remarkable and my favorite artists emerged in 80s but if you ignore the major artists, everyone else was just recycling synth rock and hair metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom