• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My custom built gaming PC keeps dying, considering just replacing it

keenerz

If reapplying the heatsink doesnt work then I'd suggest replacing it with something more efficient. I havent heard great things about the AMD stock coolers if I recall.

jono51

Banned
Your CPU is definitely too hot. Dusk off the heatsink for sure.

Is your build still 1, 2 this one?

If so, I would still put the source of your troubles as the PSU. I have never heard of Azzatek before. I doubt that thing is anywhere near to a real 850w, but I'd be happy to be prven wrong. Newegg reviews all mention it being overheating junk that ends up being way too hot to the touch.

NEO0MJ

Love the people shitting on the price of the PC instead of helping. Stay classy.

Don't forget that a lot of Gaf live in the US and might be a bit insulated, so they don't have much background of how much things cost outside their country.
My friend had to spend around $ 1600 for a 970 equipped desktop. Depending on where OP lives they might have to spend a lot. If they're in the US though that does seem overpriced.

SGRX

61C is the max safe temperature for that CPU, per AMD. Make sure all your fans are working correctly and are oriented for proper airflow (although from the rest of your system temps that seems fine), then if you're using the stock cooler, look into an aftermarket cooler such as the Hyper 212 EVO (<$30).

I expect you're using the stock cooler since you mentioned the system being loud. The stock coolers on those chips are known to be annoyingly loud. A good aftermarket cooler would be dead silent by comparison. Here is an example that shows the difference in noise level.

How long have you had your PC?

How long have you been having any issues with it?

Also, yeah, it's hard to not comment on the price for your system. But nevermind.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
+1 for reapplying the paste. $30 investment in a good air cooler is definitely worth it, if you're using stock.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Your CPU is definitely too hot. Dusk off the heatsink for sure.

Is your build still 1, 2 this one?

If so, I would still put the source of your troubles as the PSU. I have never heard of Azzatek before. I doubt that thing is anywhere near to a real 850w, but I'd be happy to be prven wrong. Newegg reviews all mention it being overheating junk that ends up being way too hot to the touch.
Yep, that's the one. Most of the 2k went to my monitor, btw, lol, which is not the one in those links.

No idea how to reapply thermal paste, but it looks like that might be it. The problems started before I cleaned it out. I thought it might be the dust inside, and that helped for a month or so, but the problems persisted afterward.

Edit: Phone is charging right now but I'll put some pics of the inside up in a bit

Tons of great deals on PSUs on slick deals right now. From $20 to $150. Pick one that fits your budget and enjoy your computer for a little while longer.

You're 98% of the way there. No reason to give up now. :)

I don't know about AMD, but Intel stock coolers are perfectly adequate for gaming.

DirtyLarry

Put a new coat of Thermal Paste on your CPU and make sure whatever heatsink solution you are using is properly installed. It sounds as if you went with water cooling and unless you are doing hardcore Overclocking, that is no doubt overkill and you may just want to consider getting rid of that completely and just sticking to more traditional routes of cooling such as a heatsink fan.

For your first build I believe it is best to just stick to the basics and get familiar with everything. This is of course just my opinion, however it has done me well in the past.

TaterTots

Banned
Definitely apply new thermal paste, but make sure you clean the old paste off before you apply. Luckily for you this could turn out to be a very cheap fix. However, if the problem persists then you need a new PSU imo.

Nzyme32

dJCp0bB.jpg

This is just while browsing GAF. Will try this Rivatuner's overlay in a sec. I'll use Guild Wars 2 as a test run, since that's what killed it last

What the heck is going on with that CPU temperature - unless you are doing something insane in the background?! And $2K cost with those specs?! Even if you were buying lots of expensive peripherals outside of that a year or so back, that would not be a reasonable price.

Regardless - lets look at an extreme scenario - I have built a very small form factor computer recently, completely passively cooled with exception of the PSU, CPU and GPU with their own fans - a situation that should have higher tempertures than average cases with additional fans for airflow

Temperatures when not under load:

Mobo - 40 C
CPU - 41 C
GPU - 41 C

The fans are at a very low RPM too. So I'd say getting 67 C is pretty damn off. Check the CPU fan, check the thermal paste, or simply replace the CPU Fan and paste. You say this is custom built but some of your comments suggest you didn't build it yourself? If so, I'd avoid whoever set this up and look up a couple of youtube vids that will show how you can do this

Hip Hop

Looks like I need to do some research on thermal paste.

Temp sitting at around 70, just booted up GW2. Says max temp goes up to 75. Also, 2k includes the monitor and other accessories, yeah. I also built it in Fall of 2013, not 2014.

OP also, are you using your monitor in 144hz refresh rate? That's the reason for owning such monitor.

It says 60hz on there.

Don't forget that a lot of Gaf live in the US and might be a bit insulated, so they don't have much background of how much things cost outside their country.
My friend had to spend around $ 1600 for a 970 equipped desktop. Depending on where OP lives they might have to spend a lot. If they're in the US though that does seem overpriced.

I live in EU where things cost at least 40% more than US. It's pretty much impossible to spend the equivalent of 2000$ for an FX8350 + 760 if you build it yourself. He probably bought it from some shop along with an expensive monitor and peripherals.

As for the OP's issue he needs to reseat the cooler and reapply thermal paste as pretty much everyone has suggested.

Seiru

Banned
Definitely watch a video about how to properly apply thermal paste and seat a CPU. Read that specific CPU's manual as well.

Caffeine

sounds like a thermal issue or a bad psu

edit just saw speccy ye something is up with ur cpu. I used to have an 8350 and on stock cooler it wouldnt hit that level till i was in a game. if i remember correctly on idle it was at around 46'c

Reaaaaal, 67 C on your CPU = your CPU fan is screwed. It might be put together wrong. Recommendation: Get some ARCTIC SILVER 5, get an after market fan, and follow the directions. Hyper 212+ evo is 30 dollars and will work for literally ever CPU ever, and even if you overclock it a little.

It sounds like your CPU fan died, or your CPU fan is NO LONGER ATTACHED CORRECTLY.

Woorloog

Banned
i often want to get seriously into PC gaming and then i see threads like this. yeeeowch

Is the OP's problem a problem (ie that you may run into problems with a PC) or that some are not being helpful? EDIT OP didn't have all necessary info for troubleshooting at first but he did provide that and now knows his problem and the method to fix. Ignore the bad apples.
Do note that pretty much anything can develop a problem (like, a case-fan broke in my PC rather spontaneously), it is unavoidable but not a thing to be really worried about.

Building a PC is relatively easy nowadays. Just need to be careful. If unsure, just check a tutorial. Educating oneself about what things are is helpful for sure though, and doesn't take much time, just some reading.

Maintaining a PC is relatively easy as well, just needs care and some logical thinking as well as common sense. And it is always good to ask if unsure about something, no one's ever going to lose anything by asking.

i often want to get seriously into PC gaming and then i see threads like this. yeeeowch

It's simple, like LEGO.

You get a case that you can fit a graphics card in, you get a motherboard that matches the socket for your CPU, you get RAM that matches the motherboard designation, and you get a power supply that matches the power draw for everything you're going to get, plusabout 30~50% overhead for upgrades, as well as having the connectors for your GPU.

Then you get a GPU. The RAM will only fit in one place, the CPU will only fit in one place, and the cooler fits on top of it, with thermal paste applied. The GPU will only fit in one or two places, it doesn't matter which place, the MOBO will only fit in one place, the Power supply will only fit in one place, your hard drive can go literally anywhere but most cases come with a place to put it, and who actually uses a disc drive, anymore?

The motherboard is printed to show you where to put pins connecting your case to the motherboard for things like, say, case mounted USB, or 3.5" mic/headphone jacks, and it'salso in the manual.

Use the cardboard box your case came in to put it all together, anti-static wrist strap grounded to any metal anything, and you'll be fine.

The hardest thing about it is figuring out how to hide the cables, but you don't even have to hide the cables.

Durante

He isn't talking about complexity.
He is talking about all the negative responses that are not helpful in any way.
Come on, I agree that people should focus on the issue at hand (I did), but this thread really is exceedingly tame.

A few remarks about the cost are to be expected since it was provided and the specs really didn't seem to match up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am actually legitimately impressed how overwhelmingly helpful people have been in this thread, not just with the advice that they give but their promptness in responding and the generally friendly attitude they have with their posts.

First thing I'm going to try is reapplying thermal paste (pray I don't screw that up somehow...) and most likely upgrade my PSU. IF that works, I may even go for a GPU upgrade.

zer0das

Banned
2 years is probably enough for significant dusk to accumulate if you haven't blown the thing out with compressed air yet. That would be the first thing I would try, before even bothering with reapplying thermal paste on the CPU.

He isn't talking about complexity.
He is talking about all the negative responses that are not helpful in any way.

You are going to get a certain degree of 'negativity' if you want to call it that. If you build and or spend 2k on a system it is expected you did some research and would know about some basic things.

The general response in the thread has been exceptionally helpful and it seems the issue has more than likely been addressed. Little snark concerning prices isn't a big deal.

Building a PC these days is rather foolproof if you prep and take it slow. People get nervous because it is their first time and they are probably working with expensive components.

First thing I'm going to try is reapplying thermal paste (pray I don't screw that up somehow...) and most likely upgrade my PSU. IF that works, I may even go for a GPU upgrade.

Well, it really seems as if your CPU is not getting the benefits from the cooler. Ambient heat -- that is, the heat it gives off on its own mixed with room temperature and case temperature -- shows your cooling isn't working well. The problem could be as simple as "the cooler became unseated from the CPU," and all you'll have to do is reseat it by twisting the CPU cooler's pegs back into position. Or, itcould be that the CPU cooler is caked with dust and grime so hard that it's not turning anymore, or it's just not turning.

Worst case scenario, the CPU itself is acting up, and you'll have to replace it. However, it might be due for an upgrade, and you might have to buy a new motherboard for that.

As for thermal paste, I recommend Arctic Silver 5. It's cheap and consistently comes up on top 3 for thermal pastes. You squeeze a bead of it and press the cooler down onto the CPU, or you press a bead on it and spread it around to about the size of a dime, and let the cooler do the rest.

Yeah, clean it and reseat the CPU. I've had similar issues with CPU's overheating and just shutting things down. Get some Arctic Fox Thermal Paste and just reapply it. Watch a YT video on how to do it if you are unsure. It's a cheap fix if it's the problem. Definitely worth doing before just buying a new PC altogether.

Just remember that before applying thermal paste, the old one needs to be removed!

And this, too, yes. I think AS5 needs to be applied in a line, but it'll say so on the tube, too.

For removal of thermal paste, get some isopropyl alcohol, dab a paper towel in it, and gently wipe it away.

Costia

Come on, I agree that people should focus on the issue at hand (I did), but this thread really is exceedingly tame.
A few remarks about the cost are to be expected since it was provided and the specs really didn't seem to match up.
I agree that this is still relatively tame and expected on the internet, but nevertheless it is still negative and off-putting.
OP needs help with a problem with his PC, so I assume he isn't in a great mood as it is. Drive-by posts saying his PC was too expensive (which is possibly not even true at all) are at the very least done in bad taste.

To get back on topic, looks like a problem with his CPU cooler or maybe PSU.
Personally I would run the PC while it's open, but i don't know if it is a good suggestion for someone without much experience.

h#shdem0n

In this order:
Check all connections
Reseat everything (including your CPU Cooler w/ some new thermal paste)
Make sure you do not have any extra risers on your case to your motherboard you aren't using (you may be getting a short)
Any odd smells?
Always wear a wrist strap.

Hope that helps.

What's the wrist strap for? Some safety thing so you don't shock yourself?

Woorloog

Banned
Personally I would run the PC while it's open, but i don't know if it is a good suggestion for someone without much experience.

Durante suggested that before. It would help to determine if the overheating issue is caused by blocked airflow or some other problem.

(Usually, you will not want to keep case open, as that prevents proper airflow.)

louiedog

I am actually legitimately impressed how overwhelmingly helpful people have been in this thread, not just with the advice that they give but their promptness in responding and the generally friendly attitude they have with their posts.

Good luck. Thermal paste tripped me up on my first couple of builds. I was too scared that I'd put on too much or too little and ended up doing the latter twice.

Watch some youtube video of people doing it. People have different techniques, but it should help give you an idea of what you're looking for in terms of amount regardless of how you apply it.

AMD CPUs do tend to run a bit hot. You don't need water cooling or anything, but depending on airflow in your case you might want to spend $25 on an after market fan. Hopefully you won't need to and a thermal paste reapplication will do the trick.

Top Bottom