• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PC Graphics Card

3KKg08L.jpg

Radeon HD 4670.

Got it back in '09 for my shitty Athlon-based HP, and still managed to get SFIV running at 1080p/60fps. It also allowed me to play PS2 and Dreamcast games via emulator at semi-decent framerates for the first time ever. My view of console gaming never recovered from that.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member
First one I chose for my own build - Leadtech winfast Geforce 256 DDR.
What great difference it made to Mechwarrior2 play.

About to upgrade again. Looking at Sapphire R9 280 OC 3GB.
Any other suggestions for the same money?

My first ever graphics card was a Radeon 5770. Before that, all my laptops/desktops only had integrated graphics. Just recently got an entirely new system and this one has a GTX 760.

kmg90

RIVA TNT2 M64 and it's massive 32 MB SDRAM

Playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was some of my favorite childhood PC gaming moments....

Cavalier

Banned
Damn I feel old.

First videocard my father got me was Voodoo 2 for my P2 300Mhz computer. Played crap ton of Quake 2 and Half-Life/Counter-Strike on that thing. Good times.

I still have it at home somewhere in the attic.

Creative-3D-Blaster-Voodoo-2-12MBfront-600x399.jpg

Inumbris

My first was a Radeon 6850. Ah, the feeling going from my crappy ATI "media" laptop to that was so sweet. Served me so well that I decided to go for another one and run a Crossfire set-up.

Seeing all of the older cards in this thread and people waxing lyrical about Half Life and the like makes me wish that I had kept up PC gaming through the 3D years. Alas, once my 7 year old self got his hands on an N64, I was a console gamer through and through up until starting university. Good to back on the winning team again!

Herne

The first card I had was a 4MB Voodoo a friend gave me when he upgraded to a Voodoo 2, but the first one I bought for myself was a Savage 4 Pro Plus, specifically this one -

stealths540f.jpg

I remember there were three versions, a crippled one that ran at 125MHz, mine that ran at 143MHz and the "xtreme" version that ran at 166MHz. This one gave me great performance until an asshole friend of mine (not the same friend) "accidentally" damaged it by running a coin along the AGP connector. So then I went out and bought this -

IMG_2235a.jpg

Oh man, was GLiDE great on this thing. It had half the memory of the Savage and only 16-bit colour, but it was blazing fast for the time even on DirectX. I loved it so much that later I went out and got a Voodoo 5 5500. I still miss 3dfx.

Mifec

My first card was an ati radeon 9800 pro, second 4870 then a 4890 vapor x and then I spent 3 months without a gp until my gf got me a 780ti on release day :)

Robcat

Banned
My first card was a gtx 560. It lasted me a couple years but I just upgraded to a gtx 690. I got it on kijiji for $300 Canadian and it's amazing.

Garuda1One

I remember it like it was yesterday.. it was geforce 2.. my first video card

Then geforce 4 mx..

Then geforce fx 5800.. it broke then bought a 5200 for replacement :(

Then geforce 6800.. bought it for battle for middle earth.. it was bundled with it..

Made the jump to 8800GT.. crysis !

Then skipped A LOT because i went to perth to finish my degree..

Bought gtx 580 after i finished my degree..

Then ATi 6990..

Then gtx 980..

Did i missed something ?

LegendX48

My first gpu was a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 back in 2010 and I upgraded to a AMD Radeon HD 7950 in 2013. My old 5770 is in my little brother's pc still going strong (though its temps are super high cause HP pc case is bad lol)

GForce MX 440 or something like that. I got it around the time Splinter Cell 1 and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit came out. Initially my friend bought it and it didn't work with his computer so I purchased it from him for $95.

My computer was complete shit though, useless HP desktop machine. Pretty much all the games I played on it ran at 15-20 FPS

My first was/is a GTX 560 Ti. After using only integrated graphics for my entire life it was like walking into a whole new world. I am not sure if my second GPU purchase will be a 970 or I might just wait till the next cycle.

Three

Technically for me it would be the Rendition Verite V1000, but I slapped a Diamond Voodoo 1 in pretty soon after that.

Pretty much the same. Went to geforce 1 after that, then 2, 4Ti, then to Radeon cards.

I was really into the demoscene for those early cards. I remember the voodoo demo was a military base that was mindblowing.

I remember this

GeForce 256 bubble Tech-Demo: http://youtu.be/1wYEnxOeX2k

And the lake tech demo. I spent a day or more trying to download some of those tech demos on my crappy dialup. Not sure why now that I look back.

chifanpoe

Growing up our family PC's had several ISA cards from ATI, the Wonder EGA and VGA cards.

My first PC in 1994-5 time frame, I put in a Number Nine 128 PCI Card with 4MB of VRAM. It was fine with windows 3.1 and early 95A but terrible in DOS gaming. I replaced it with a ATI Mach 32 then shortly after a Rendition Verite V1000 card. At the end of 1996 I ended up piggybacking the first Voodoo Card(Orchid Righteous 3D) onto that box.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This thread makes me realize that there are a lot of relative newcomers to PC gaming. That's pretty cool.

Cabal

The first video card I bought was a VESA card for my 486. I needed it to run cd rom games. For 3D it was an nvidia riva 128. About a year later I put in an 8 mb 3dfx card and things were really screaming...

Geforce 256. It was paired with the first Athlon that broke the Ghz barrier. It was the first PC built by myself. Replayed Half-Life in full screen mode and it was like playing a whole new game (I used to play 3D games in tiny resolution with HUGE black borders around it, where the borders were as thick as the actual render when I used to use software renderer).

Only downside was that damn athlon sounded like a jet engine (I don't remember Geforce 256 being loud though).

Grassy

My first was the TNT2 that came installed in my Gateway PC I got around 15-16 years ago.

That lasted a few months before I went and spent $600 on one of these:

gf2boxfront1-bigm5kcl.jpg

My history:

TNT2
Geforce 2 GTS
9700 Pro
9800 Pro
X800 Pro
Radeon HD6970
GTX 670 SLI

Robaperas

Mine was a MSI FX 5200 (64bits) :/

After that one:
Abit R9550XT Turbo-Guru
6600GT
HD4670
HD4770
HD7750

I'm poor, I know it.

My first card was the Galaxy GTX 560 Ti 448 Core... which was a lot closer to the 570 than the 560. Ran everything I had pretty well at 1080p/60 either at max settings or with a few things dropped down, but I finally jumped on a Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming because 1.28GB of VRAM wasn't going to last much longer.

Lulubop

Built my first comp in 2010 with this bad boy. Currently rocking a 780ti, will upgrade it with 1080ti or whatever the equivalent.

xfx_radeon_hd_5830_12.jpg

I had some permutation of the GeForce 4 back in 2002/3. After that I was a console gamer for the next decade. I re-entered PC gaming with a GTX 760 and quickly upgraded to a 780ti.

Galucha

Neo Member
mx460-front.jpg

Geforce4 MX460... $170 for a 64mb card that could run CS 1.6 at a buttery 60fps (or anything else at that time). Ended up buying a GT240 to play skyrim when that came out, and finally a GTX 760 last year.

jotun?

GeForce 2 Ultra

one of the biggest leaps forward in graphics performance

I had a riva TNT before that as part of a Dell pc, but the GeForce 2 was the first one that I actually paid attention to

Top Bottom