• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PC Graphics Card

Taikun

732_1.jpg

6 megs of pure power and the TV output was revolutionary to me at the time.

My first non-integrated was an nVidia 7600GT, used that for way too many years then upgraded to a whole new computer setup with a Radeon HD6950 that I overclocked to a 6970

lunchtoast

I don't remember what it was. I needed one that could use direct 3D for Jedi knight II. It was around 100 at Best Buy. First PC I boult I bought a Radeon 9700 pro. It was a big deal at the time

Gxgear

I was too young then to know anything about computers, but the one thing I knew was that it had a Voodoo and it was badass. Think it's the Voodoo 3 by the looks of the packaging.

You know I guess if we're going all the way back, my first real graphics card was a Diamond Stealth 3d 2000. That was some hot shit before 3d acceleration came along.

000050-00.jpg

This thing was so fucking good for quake 3, unreal tournament, and half life.

Had to abandon it when hardware shaders became more standard but it lasted me a long time.

I remember trying to play Jedi knight 2, mafia , and Warcraft 3 with it and failing miserably.

Diamond Monster 3D (A 3DFX voodoo card)

this card came in an amazing bundle of games, including 3DFX versions of Descent 2 and Mechwarrior 2 being the stand outs. Best PC bundle ever, omg

I remember games going from unplayable slideshows to buttery smooth 50+fps. Blew my mind back then.

+1

Also came with Hyperblade IIRC

Hypron

My first graphics card:

Radeon_X1950_PRO_single.jpg

It's weird though, I could have sworn it was part of the x1800 series but according to google it's an x1950 pro... I don't have the card anymore so I can't check either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Technically my first "3D card" was a 12MB Voodoo 2, but it was given to me by the bloke my parents had contracted to itemise and build our next system as our then-current PC was still rockin' a 2MB S3 card that could only do DirectDraw. The GPU that was in the new system was a 64MB GeForce 2 Ti, although the first GPU that I bought myself, out of my own pocket, was a 256MB 7900GS.

Wow... my very first "my own PC" had a FX 5200. Pretty bad card, even for it's time, but it worked as it should.
I think it was in 2003 or 2004.

My first video card was a Nvidia 6200 with 256MB ram and then I got an amazing Nvidia 7950GT with a whooping (for its time) 512MB of Vram.
Edit: This 7950GT to be exact
xfx_7950_gt_front.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Because add-on cards and openGL are for suckers, my first GPU was a NV3 Nvidia Riva 128 with 4GB of memory and AGP interface. It was inside a Dell PC, that was the only way to get them at the time.

I remember getting it in September 1997 and it only had D3D drivers. OGL drivers (QUAKE!!!) only came in 1998.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I think i had a 3DFX voodoo as my first card. I can only remember the voodoo banshee clearly as i guess it was my next upgrade, but i remember having an ATI 2D card and a 3DFX 3D card (cause yes, there were no 2d/3d all in one at that time lol). So i guess it was ATI + voodoo.

Demigod Mac

Actually I sort of take that back.

the Mac I eventually installed that in was a clone, a Power Computing machine. It had an ATI Rage II (4MB) onboard. Borderline 3D de-celerator.

But it did have one very important use later in life...

iD Software released the Quake 3 Test to the Mac platform first, citing the consistency of the OS and hardware making it a better platform to begin public testing on. Suddenly PC gaming sites were rushing to the stores to pick up iMacs so they could play the game and write up articles. (which is the story behind this Penny Arcade comic) http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/04/28

By then I had the Techworks Voodoo1 card, but proper OpenGL drivers hadn't been written for it yet. There was a hobbyist working on a Mesa GL wrapper for Mac in his sparetime; and suddenly it became his responsibility to make Quake 3 work on non-ATI Mac graphics cards. While he was working on that, I managed to get Quake 3 test to run on mine by disabling the Voodoo card. Had to run it in the lowest settings and resolution, but it worked and was playable (about 10-15 fps or so).

Later he released a new Mesa GL that worked with Quake 3 Test. Night and day difference it made. Buttery smooth 30 fps and high detail settings.

Caffeine

tnt2 was my first then I had a old dell that had 128MB intel graphics something in it in 2005. then later i got a 8800GT, then in 2010 a 460TI and recently in october I went red with a 7990.

Galucha

Neo Member
leadtek1.jpg

Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4600
Shit was cash and ran counter strike (and CSS:S) on max settings. Kept it until I picked up a gt 240 in 2009, then a 650 Ti, and finally a GTX 770.

tauke

My very first graphic card S3 Virge DX with 2MB VRAM

At least it can play Fury3 and Hellbender well although any hardware acceleration for games like Quake, Unreal, Half-Life prompted me to get my dad to upgrade to this in late 1998:

The bundled Forsaken and Incoming runs reallly smooth at 60fps that time with it.

The Riva TNT serve me well untill 2002 where my graphic card purchase have been like this:

GeForce4 MX440 64MB -> ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB (can be softmodded to unlock the extra pipeline for slight performance increase) -> GeForce 7600GT 256MB OC -> GeForce 9800GT 512MB -> GeForce GTX780 3GB (this is my biggest leap in graphic card upgrades and the performance is HUGE).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
box_card.jpg

my computer wouldn't run morrowind respectably and i was really disappointed until my dad surprised me with one of these out of nowhere, thanks dad miss you

McSpidey

The first graphics card I lusted after was one that could do video acceleration for mpeg files, so it doesn't count. The next was a 3dfx Voodoo (of course!) but I thought I'd be smart and wait for the Voodoo Rush.

Bad mistake. The Voodoo Rush it turned out was terrible at Z-buffered alpha blending so quake ran like a dog. So much so that there was a mass recall/refund offered and they took back the daughter board and gave me an OG 3dfx card in its place.

Then later I bought a Voodoo2 which I consider my first real graphics card without trauma ;)

Top Bottom