• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PC Graphics Card

Azzurri

Gold Member
+1 for diamond. I remember I had to upgrade my vc so I could play Ultima online back in 1997. I need 32bit color or 16bit.

bfg-5600_256-1.jpg

Drain You

7600gt, 8800gt, can't remember the next card, then a AMD 7850. Loved each card. I especially have fond memories of the 7600gt, running doom, half life 2, Quake 3, unreal tournament. I was like a kid in a candy store with all these new games.

conweller

Neo Member
That Voodoo 2, I remember riding my bike down to my local computer shop, just to stare at that box and dream of everything it might be able to do.

But in the end (the beginning) I ended up getting a RIVA TNT.

dab0ne

My first good PC was a laptop. It had two nvidia 8600s
Then I got a desktop with ati 5700 series
Then a new laptop with 5800 series

My first graphics card for the sake of upgrading was recently purchased. I bought and HD 7850 to replace 5700 in my desktop. I love it.

Gangxxter

3dfx Voodoo3 3000 -> ATI Xpert 2000 -> ATI Radeon 9600 Pro -> ATI Radeon X1800 XT -> AMD Radeon HD 4870 -> AMD Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edit

Yes, I'm an ATI/AMD fan boy, although I started with a 3dfx ;)

Wallach

That Voodoo 2, I remember riding my bike down to my local computer shop, just to stare at that box and dream of everything it might be able to do.

But in the end (the beginning) I ended up getting a RIVA TNT.

This is how it happened for me too (minus the bike ride).

I still remember the Powerslide demo blowing my mind. These graphics, at 1024x768? The future had arrived.

Jabba

Banned
The AGA architecture for the Amiga 1200 from my A1000 in 1992. Then, I didn't use pc much but when I did, I upgraded to a Geforce 5900 fx Ultra from a Geforce 5200 fx sometime in 2002-3. Actually, had to build new rig for the 5900. The slots in the old rig weren't AGP. It was a pos emachines. lol

My first card was a Diamond Stealth something or other in 1995. It was just a 2d accelerator =P First 3d card was a voodoo 1 with I believe 1 MB Vram.

edit- I believe it was a Diamond Stealth 64.

Ploid 3.0

My first card wasn't even compatible with my computer. I had it on the shelf mocking me that I spent good money to buy it. I never got a chance to use it and it went to my cousin since he had a agp slot. It was some old radeon card.

Found the picture, it was ATI 9000.

Good times.

Oh I just got a EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2gb and I'm loving it. The card it replaced was a Asus GTX 460 direct CU 760mb.

Next I'm going to upgrade my processor and motherboard to intel. Most likely i5, I'm currently on a Athlon II 4x 640. The card was a huge improvement, the big test was to run skyrim with the enbs and texture mods, it runs great. Some of the pretty enbs even run 60, the grass mod brings the PC to it's knees at 10-30fps.

3wyY82M.jpg

Matrox M3D, a PowerVR PCX2 extension card for your existing video card. It was a pretty crummy card as far a support went, but if supported correctly, the output quality was better than a Voodoo 3dfx.

Mad Max

For me it was:
Riva TNT -> Geforce 4 Mx440 -> Radeon 9800Pro -> Geforce 7800gs (agp) -> Radeon hd2900 -> Radeon hd3870 -> Radeon hd4850 -> Radeon hd7950 -> Radeon R9 290

I remember buying that mx440 to play bf1942, since the TNT wasn't supported, and still having to play it at about 10 fps. Also I had about 4 different 9800pro cards, since they just kept dying after a few months. One even started producing smoke after the cooler melted of the PCB while playing bf1942. For the 7800gs I crushed the pci-e to agp converter chip while mounting a waterblock, and it would randomly blackscreen after that.

Lettuce

I'm almost certain mine was a ATI Rage Pro.

I can remember the box art vividly it had a raven on the front of the box, can GAF help out as I have googled such a box art with no returns :(

I then got a Voodoo Banshee, GeForce MX 4000....but after that there a bit of a grey patch and can't remember what I got the next card I remember is the 9700 Pro.

Starting from when I actually had my own PC instead of sharing with my bro:

Geforce 6200 Turbocache (Terrible, terrible card that was even disappointing when the vram sharing was disabled) -> Geforce 8400GS (I practically bought this card so that I could run Counter-Strike: Source and other Source engine games without it freezing all the time, did the job decently) -> Geforce 9600 GT: (A really nice card that I used for way too long, but when overclocked it was great). -> ATI Radeon HD 6770 (Bought this when I was making a new budget PC build in 2011, good but sucked at 1080p when I upgraded my monitor) -> ATI Radeon HD 7870 (Picked this up when it was on sale back in August, it's a really great card but I'm kinda wishing that I had waited for the next Radeon series at the time).

Ganzor

The family pc had a Voodoo 2 and later Geforce 2 or 4 mx i think. The first card i bought myself where a AMD 9600se and later a Nvidia 6800Ultra. Since then i have always used AMD cards since i wasent too happy with the Nvidia card :( my Cards have been 2900xt -> 4870 -> 5850 -> 6970 -> 2x 6970 and now R9 290 :)

Gertso

Neo Member
I had a bunch of hand me downs and cheapy cards that got me bye for a long time due to gaming the early 00's not needing very demanding hardware. Then finally I bought this iconic piece of hardware. Sure it overheated constantly with some rough stability issues but for the time it the leap was massive.

radeon1.jpg

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah, I got the Diamond monster I

9zmvPXk.jpg

Although it's not a real graphic card, because it was just used to "accelerate" your existing graphics card. It didn't work on its own.
Huh, what are you talking about? It needed a 2d card yes but that's all. Monster 3d I was a Voodoo and 3D II was Voodoo2.

EctoPrime

ATI Rage 2 chipset 2MB. I guess this counts since it has seperate memory on the motherboard. Mechwarrior 2 was amazing at the time running at 512 x 384, the reflections in the ice level and scrolling clouds was one of those holy shit moments. Buying Shadows of the Empire snapped me out of thinking I had something amazing when the games launcher brought up a huge list of missing gpu features aka the " why your gpu is shit" list.

Then 5200 fx, 9600 (dead), 6200 and current card 5670.

Random Trivia: You can buy a PCI version of the 2010 gt430 512MB videocard.

Slambot6

Neo Member
Nice card OP. This thread is a blast.

I remember the build my parents got me and brother when we were kids housing a Sapphire built ATI HD2600XT 256mb GPU, and my brother buying an ATI built 4670 1GB for my 15th birthday.

My first bought card was a Sapphire 7750 1GB Low-Profile, and I bought that very recently to couple it with an AMD 6800k.

14-202-002-TS

I like it a lot.

L.O.R.D

my first PC was win P4 was released and had that memory RD ram RIM
i don't remember the graphic card , but i can remember playing red alert 2 and American McGee's Alice and half life without problems

my second PC i bout had this card
$%28KGrHqJ,!rQFEdQo%29LjLBRf,%28Gjiz!~~60_35.JPG

inno 3D geforce 4400 mx

i was stupid and naive , after 6 month , silent hill 3 released , when i tried to play it
there was a message told me that i need a card with FX chip to run it, it won't run on my current mx card

so, i bought this
msi-5200_tdr128-1.jpg

but battle field 2 was running on low settings

after 2 year, i got this beast
MSINx6600GT_front.jpg

just look at the box

the game XIII was bundled with the card
this card was really good
finally , i was able to play BF2 with all option ON

and was able to play Lost Planet 1 , with that card, the game was above all my expectation

Horp

My first was Riva TNT.
Then followed:
Riva TNT2 (awesome)
Geforce 2MX (terrible)
Geforce 4600Ti (terrible)
Radeon 9800 Pro (awesome)
Radeon 4870 (great)
Geforce 480
Geforce 580
Geforce 680
Geforce 780
All the geforces above were/are great :)

Exalted

The first one was probaly an riva tnt card that came with the pc, but the first one that i bought was the 3dx vodoo 3. I still remember GLIDE on Deus Ex and UT, every time i saw that a game suported glide it just gave me a tiny smile.

DarkFlow

Banned
The crappy thing about early PC gaming was the "is my card compatible" game you played with every new release. Shit went obsolete at a much much faster pace then it does now. At least now you can eek out low settings if your card is old, Back then it would just flat out not work.

big_z

12MB Voodoo 2 was my first which I believe was stolen by a computer repair place when upgrading some stuff. GeForce 256 was my first upgrade.

Top Bottom