• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel party of one is a terrible intro episode. it's charm is from the shock factor of how different it is from other episodes. and that can't happen if you haven't seen any other episodes

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
brian577 said:
My friend participated in an International Friendship Day gift exchange last month and got this today. It was made by the person who makes the Cutiemark pins, and she included a Fluttershy pin in addition to the figurine. Interestingly enough her Deviant Art page says she's planning to make a Belle Eve figurine. http://kanamai.deviantart.com/

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/brian577/100_0989.jpg

Oh yeah, that. This talented brony commissioned a plushie from Jackie, and proposed to pay part of it with a customized pony, asking us which one would we like her to make.

We asked for Belle, of course. ;)

2th

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Oh yeah, that. This talented brony commissioned a plushie from Jackie, and proposed to pay part of it with a customized pony, asking us which one would we like her to make.

We asked for Belle, of course. ;)

So you are the culprit... If we do not get tons of pictures of Belle in the wild and making friends I will not be happy. Belle will not be forever alone!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Orcastar said:
Well lookie what the mailman brought for me today:

http://i.imgur.com/EWuso.jpg

This was a "Men's Classic T-Shirt" (brand: B&C) from the European shirt store, size L. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed in the size of the print; it looked a lot bigger on the Spreadshirt website, and looking at the pics Threesix posted earlier, this one is definitely smaller. Makes the shirt look bigger than it really is too. Other than that, the quality seems good and it's just the right size for me.

Still, as awesome as the design itself is, the shirt isn't quite as awesome as I though. Maybe the AA shirt would have had a bigger print, but for some reason the European store didn't have that option when I ordered this one. Right now I'm thinking I'll order Myke's design on an AA shirt too see how different the print is and possibly rebuy Ellis' design if it turns out to be significantly better.
I'm sorry to hear that :( They offer AA on the euro store, though, right? Hopefully that has the print larger.

DrForester said:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/frozenmexico/Funnypics/PONIES/applejackfriend.jpg
lol omg, that's... hahahha, oh no!

2th said:
]http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/227/1/a/metal_gear_woona_by_egophiliac-d46q56h.png egophiliac does some great stuff yet again.

Solid Luna!

Ellis Kim

Banned
ThreeSix said:
So far, I've liked wearing this shirt around the most. Just got done eating dinner with the folks while wearing it, and neither batted an eye so it's pretty much cleared to be worn freely around my house which makes me happier about it. When the other shirt I ordered with Myke's design (w/o the PonyGAF text) comes, I'll try the same thing to see what happens.
lololol

Cheerilee

I still think the two-part pilot is the best intro to the series.

Bufbaf said:
I wonder how diehard retro MLP fans think about the FIM episodes. I mean, there are retro Transformers fans, He-Man fans, Thundercats fans who all didn't like the new episodes of "their" cartoon, surely there have to be MLP fans with the same mindset. Right?
From my experience, Transformers fans were absolutely starving for new material by the time Beast Wars came along. A vast majority absolutely hated the design choice to go with animal-forms instead of vehicles, but they eventually all came around because the show was both amazing on it's own and respectful to the source. Beast Machines quickly drove many people away, but there was no oldfan/newfan split because Beast Wars blurred the lines.

Robots in Disguise dangled the "anime" lure which caught some attention, but most people walked away again when they realized that it was the cheap crappy children's anime that was becoming common at the time.

When Dreamwave picked up the long-neglected comic book rights, it was staggering, and the company was breaking sales records left and right and blowing icons like XMen out of the water, until the company's asshole president somehow ran the company into the ground buying hookers and coke, and stopped paying his employees. The newer comics from IDW do solid numbers and are very well liked, AFAIK.

Bayformers initially worked the old fans into a frenzy, but it failed huge based on terrible writing, terrible character design, and terrible directing. Yet somehow made billions and billions of dollars and is a huge success!

For He-Man, I think everyone knew going in that the original had way too much camp to survive. It didn't seem possible for anyone to filter out the camp, replace it with something good, and have it look anything remotely like the original. I think the 2002 cartoon greatly exceeded expectations and treated the source with a great deal of respect, so most of the old fans should range from neutral to positive. If anyone actually disliked it, I think they probably aren't the most realistic people you'll find.

For MLP, I don't have any contact with any old fans (no desire), but even I can tell that Lauren was a fan of the original, and she put respectful nods into her work. The show is pure quality, and I think they should love what she's done with it. I could see some of them being upset at it's meme status, but there are significantly worse memes you could have attached to MLP pre-FIM. You didn't even need to turn anything into a meme. Just the name by itself was so loaded, it was walking death. I could also see some old fans complaining at their sudden lack of notoriety, because they liked MLP before it became cool. They used to be the biggest, most important voice in an empty chatroom. Screw those losers (if they exist). That's not fandom.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Nice post, ruby-onix. I didn't even know about the dreamwave president thing D: Beast Wars was pretty good back in the day, and yeah, they were pretty respectful to the source. Beast Machines was stuuuuupid. I tried to keep up with it but it was so lame.

i don't even remember/know about a 2002 he-man. i'll have to look that up.

also, i had a person in another pony thread that was a G1 fan that didn't like FiM.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Adelor Lyon said:

The mailman was nice to me today, too. Two Belles, a Luna, and a... slightly sickly-looking Celestia.

I think I broke YouTube's "like" button.

Fat Luna and Pink Celestia... how dare you :(

Nishastra said:
It's a harp at an angle.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110216030223/mlp/images/1/1b/Lyra_id.png[IMG]

Like Lyra.[/QUOTE]

In fact, it's a lyre. Like Lyra.

[QUOTE=ThreeSix][url=http://www.jukeboxalive.com/player/player.php?sid=3191207&method=play]Here's a song that isn't my type of music style, but is ridiculously well produced.[/url]'

[url=http://blackgryph0n.deviantart.com/art/Proud-to-be-a-Brony-SONG-252972815]Lyrics[/url] It's actually talking about not hiding that you watch the show from other people.[/QUOTE]

I don't like it either, but it's well done at least.

Cheerilee

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Was just watching this, because I didnt even know it existed, holy fuck, it respects very well the original. How could it had been cancelled? (apart form the poor advertisement and lack of hype they gave to it)
The He Man fanbase doesn't have as much power as something like the Transformers or GI Joe fanbase, so they had to reach out to modern kids and make it an after-school cartoon. But kids these days only like their pokemans and beyblades, so the ratings were low. The show might've done better/been better if it had ignored children and targeted the adult fanbase more aggressively, but I think it's fine for a former kid's show to stay basically a kid's show.

On top of that, the toys weren't selling well, which is all toymaker Mattel really cares about, so they pulled the plug after two seasons.

MLP:FIM is much more fortunate, in that they've got more network support (Hub needs good shows), and they found a large and welcoming new audience (bronies). Now all we need to do is help buy some plastic and the show will never die. Hey Hasbro, make better plastic! Like a white Celestia. Or a clear plastic Big Mac. That would be so wrong.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey guys, I am not part of Pony Gaf, but while searching for some music for my blog I found something that some of you might like:

241688517-1.jpg

http://agiledash.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy ;)

ruby_onix said:
The He Man fanbase doesn't have as much power as something like the Transformers or GI Joe fanbase, so they had to reach out to modern kids and make it an after-school cartoon. But kids these days only like their pokemans and beyblades, so the ratings were low. The show might've done better/been better if it had ignored children and targeted the adult fanbase more aggressively, but I think it's fine for a former kid's show to stay basically a kid's show.

On top of that, the toys weren't selling well, which is all toymaker Mattel really cares about, so they pulled the plug after two seasons.

MLP:FIM is much more fortunate, in that they've got more network support (Hub needs good shows), and they found a large and welcoming new audience (bronies). Now all we need to do is help buy some plastic and the show will never die. Hey Hasbro, make better plastic! Like a white Celestia. Or a clear plastic Big Mac. That would be so wrong.

Mmm, fucking kids in our days. SMH.
I always thought, as an animator student, that it would be awesome if they brought the 80's-90's cartoons back with good remakes (that is, making them good, with respect of their source, with good animation, leaving openings the same but with better animation and remixing the old music, trying to improve them were they clearly, if you see them know, were really bad, etc...) to this generation. Also bring back the disney tv animation of those days.
That was what I think MLP FiM did with the source, and with the great status it gained I thought my idea was really good becuase it seemed to work, now I see they tried to do the same with He-Man and it failed.
For example, bring back the good TMNT, bring back the opening with better animation, stay faithfull to the source but making little improvm¡ement you though you were watching as a kid (like Shredder not being a fucking idiot, and giving it some intense scenes in the final episodes of the season, for example), BUT never take the fun the old series has. Make fun characters again, leave all the 4th wall jokes the old series had, etc... Yeah, went you need to get serious, you get serious, but the series was just plain fun, and I thing it needs to stay the same. And the animation has to have the same expresionism that MLP has, used flash if you want, I dont care, but it has the perfect old cartoon vibe that all the rigid new animation doesnt have, and that would look perfect, to give the turtles their old fun face they had.

I dont know if my idea would work anymore, the golden era of tv cartoons, except for MLP seems to have died. :(

BTW, im not dissing anime, as an european, we had lots of anime (really good ones) during that era, broadcasted normally on tv with cartoons, one besides the other, and we loved it. The mix was perfect.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's certainly not the golden age, but there are still some great shows out there. Flapjack, Chowder, and Adventure Time, just to name a few.

Pancakes said:
It's certainly not the golden age, but there are still some great shows out there. Flapjack, Chowder, and Adventure Time, just to name a few.
That's nostalgia talking, I think. We all loved He Man or Trandormers, or Pokemon and Digimon or whatever age generation you were, as kids, but a ton of those don't really hold up after all these years, and certainly didn't get the kind of adult following today's animation does. Between Flapjack, Spongebob, FiM, Adventure Time, and Avatar, we're in a golden age of Western Animation.

Amibguous Cad said:
That's nostalgia talking, I think. We all loved He Man or Trandormers, or Pokemon and Digimon or whatever age generation you were, as kids, but a ton of those don't really hold up after all these years, and certainly didn't get the kind of adult following today's animation does. Between Flapjack, Spongebob, FiM, Adventure Time, and Avatar, we're in a golden age of Western Animation.
The '90s X-Men series is the best cartoon ever, of all time. Indisputable. Okay, it had a couple of stupid episodes. The intro is still amazing though.

Narag

Rickenslacker said:
The '90s X-Men series is the best cartoon ever, of all time. Indisputable. Okay, it had a couple of stupid episodes. The intro is still amazing though.
Batman:TAS disagrees.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized that animegaf is easily riled up than you guys.

Anyway I'm just happy that Digimon Xros Wars is getting a sequel ^_^

Rickenslacker said:
Last time I saw an episode it was Jubilee telling some medieval X Men stories to kids when trapped in a cave.......actually it was kind of entertaining.
At any rate I've got a friend that likely agrees with you. But as far as the 90s marvel shows go I was always more of a Spiderman guy.

Spider-Man was great too, the opening was entirely comprised of explosions and guitar solos. I was never a Batman fan though, but I will admit that the '90s animated series had a lot of objectively great qualities to it.

Nocturnowl said:
Last time I saw an episode it was Jubilee telling some medieval X Men stories to kids when trapped in a cave.......actually it was kind of entertaining.
Yeah, that was some season 5 jank. Different animation studio, and even different voice cast for some of the characters. Not to mention Jubilee got some pretty shitty episodes. Like Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas...

Ellis Kim

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Mmm, fucking kids in our days. SMH.
I always thought, as an animator student, that it would be awesome if they brought the 80's-90's cartoons back with good remakes (that is, making them good, with respect of their source, with good animation, leaving openings the same but with better animation and remixing the old music, trying to improve them were they clearly, if you see them know, were really bad, etc...) to this generation. Also bring back the disney tv animation of those days.
That was what I think MLP FiM did with the source, and with the great status it gained I thought my idea was really good becuase it seemed to work, now I see they tried to do the same with He-Man and it failed.
Woah, wait, what? IIRC, He-Man was a surprise hit amongst highschool students (including myself) when I was in sophomore year. I never followed up on beyond a few episodes, but I remember people loving the surprising quality of the new show.

Or are you referring to ANOTHER He-man reboot that I"m completely oblivious to?

For example, bring back the good TMNT
The CGI movie says hello.

Amibguous Cad said:

No, its not nostalgia, its called reality. Even if some animation in this age is godly, the majority is a piece of shit, not only that, but quality television, even more for children, has decreased a lot.
The thing is, at least in europe, all those cartoons that you are mentioning are:
1. In pay cartoon channels.
2. In special cartoon channels that have not many views, because now its not normal for a kid to watch cartoon shows in tv.
Both of them, but more number 1 is making that even if this shows are really good, dont gather the audience that had a saturday morning cartoon in the 80's-90's, or, I dont know if this is the case in America, afternoon after school cartoon blocks the normal tv channels did.
Very little amount of people (and that is thanks to the internet, more than the channels that this cartoons are), and even less amount of children know what is Flapjack or Adventure Time is. Also the time has passed when, at least in Spain, it was normal that a family had payed tv channels, with all this cartoons showing at all time (the 90's age of the Cartoon Cartoon blocks in cartoon network, or the famous old nickelodeon for example), becuase it was the craze at the time, so this shows at least gathered more children than they do now, now with the craze passed and the quality of this channels going down people have stopped watching them.

And even that, internet is the one that has saved most of this shows, as it acted as an huge advert medium.
Of all you mentioned only spongebob somehow survived the transition from the 90's to the present (it was still fresh when all was falling down around bad quality cartoons and serials for girls). That why its the most famous of all the one you mentioned.

We cant deny that 80's and 90's cartoons had some shit, and even some of the good series had some shitty episodes or a decline in future seasons. But, the number and quality of them was big (more than the handful of good series you have listed), as it was a very easy selling product to the children of those years. All this quality cartoons are more difficult to sell right now because socity and children have changed, and thats a pity.
And the same happened to disney 2d animation movies and the ending of its second golden era in animation at the same time the fall of cartoon era was happening on television. Coincidence? I think not.

Ellis Kim said:
Woah, wait, what? IIRC, He-Man was a surprise hit amongst highschool students (including myself) when I was in sophomore year. I never followed up on beyond a few episodes, but I remember people loving the surprising quality of the new show.

Or are you referring to ANOTHER He-man reboot that I"m completely oblivious to?

No, i was referring to the cancellation, not the quality. For the things I have seen in youtube it seemed very respectful with the source and fun to watch. Thats why I said its said to see it failed. Heck, I didnt even know it existed, thats called bad advertising, and not bringing it outside america.

And about the CGI TMNT, it was really excellent, I loved that movie, but thats it. No more from it. Theres nothing that continues what that movie was. I mean a series, that captures the feeling of old TMNT or the CGI movie.

2th

Banned
Rickenslacker said:

Batman the Animated Series
Tiny Toon Adventures
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid

Though i will say the Xmen series was fantastic. The intro is absolutely epic.

Rickenslacker said:

That's some really vague hyperbole. Best Marvel Cartoon of the 90s or best intro theme I could understand. But best cartoon series?

zT5Gc.png

Anyway, was browsing Ponibooru, and found this amazing, and ridiculously huge mosaic.

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/view/46137

If I had the means (I doubt printing services would do it because of copyright), I'd totally print this up as a poster.

Mirimar said:
Lol, the latest AskPinkamina is amazing. Didn't expect Scootaloo to be that aggressive.

So strangely bizarre, yet it's absolutely captivating...

the tumblr in general, not specifically this new entry.

Choppasmith said:
That's some really vague hyperbole. Best Marvel Cartoon of the 90s or best intro theme I could understand. But best cartoon series?
IN-DIS-PUTABLE

TxxLe.gif

I've just been watching a lot of it recently is all.

Jintor

2th said:
Batman the Animated Series
Tiny Toon Adventures
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid

Though i will say the Xmen series was fantastic. The intro is absolutely epic.

Besides BTAS, those are all sketch shows though (occasionally wrapped around a plot). I don't deny that they're all fantastic though.

Ookami-kun said:
WTF pony fans, you didn't watch TMNT 2k3?

What the hell man.

I watched some episodes, didnt find them apealing.
Although Turtles Forever is just brilliant.

Jintor said:
Besides BTAS, those are all sketch shows though (occasionally wrapped around a plot). I don't deny that they're all fantastic though.

I dont think that made them less awesome cartoon series.

Jintor

No, you're right, I'm just sayin' they're on a different genre field that makes them hard to compare. Starcraft to TF2, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom