• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Kulock said:
I'd love one too, pretty please:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30828193&postcount=168

My shop skills are always awful.

JUes6.png

Alternative:

EJDuP.png

Also thanks to chuck for keeping up with the requests.

RomanticHeroX said:
For the age reference, I'll soon be 26. I don't really watch anime or other cartoons either, MLP is just something unique.
I wouldn't say that you need to be a huge anime/cartoon fan to enjoy MLP, but I will say that if you enjoy slice-of-life anime and cartoons, chances are you can definitely appreciate MLP for what it is.

TurbulentTurtle said:
I wouldn't say that you need to be a huge anime/cartoon fan to enjoy MLP, but I will say that if you enjoy slice-of-life anime and cartoons, chances are you can definitely appreciate MLP for what it is.
I agree with this. FiM basically is an upbeat, slice of life comedy with adventure elements and weekly positive messages.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For some reason my brain keeps translating the FiM in the thread title to FML whenever I see it.

I have to see at least one episode of this show.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ReBurn said:
For some reason my brain keeps translating the FiM in the thread title to FML whenever I see it.

I have to see at least one episode of this show.
You can check out the two-part opening pilot, which is completely not reflective of the show, or one of the episodes themselves, which is really more slice-of-life than anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd say the top 3 introduction episodes would be "Sonic Rainboom", "Dragonshy", and "Swarm of the Century".

Acerac said:
Party of One is at least 20% cooler than Dragonshy.

Honestly I don't even get why that episode is so popular.
No secret that I don't like "Party of One" very much, but I can understand why others would. That being said I think it would make for a terrible introduction episode. It does not have good moments with all the characters, and even Pinkie Pie is taken to pretty "out of character" extremes that don't really fit.

KtSlime

Acerac said:
Party of One is at least 20% cooler than Dragonshy.

Honestly I don't even get why that episode is so popular.

Party of One makes a terrible introductory episode. You have to get used to Pinkie Pie as a character in previous episodes before you see her
complete mental breakdown
in this particular episode.

FoxSpirit

DrForester said:
I'd say the top 3 introduction episodes would be "Sonic Rainboom", "Dragonshy", and "Swarm of the Century".

No secret that I don't like "Party of One" very much, but I can understand while other would. That being said I think it would make for a terrible introduction episode.

"Sonic Rainboom" is an AWFUL introduction. Much of the greatness of the episode comes from you already knowing Rainbow Dash pretty well so you just know what the stakes are for her. OMG, flying tournament!! OMG, Wonderbolts!!! ...as judges?? *faints*
Just don't do it.

My fave is still episode 4, Applebuck Season. Early in the series and really nice.

Acerac

Banned
Swarm of the Century totally make sense. Dragonshy just seems a bit weak in comparison.

I've always liked Party of One as an intro episode due to the slightly over the top characterizations of all the ponies. I grant you that it's a bit extreme with all the representations of all the ponies, but I think it works. I believe there was an ED poll where it showed up as the top response for #1 show to introduce to new watchers as well, so I'm not alone in this thought.

Dragonshy isn't my favorite episode (though it's way up there), but it's the best intro because everyone gets a chance to shine. Also, A-Team parody. What beats that? Hint: Nothing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ticketmaster is another good introduction episode I think.

The Pilot episode might not be the best example of how the stories will go, but it is a great intro to all the characters.

Welcome back to the OT from your long exile, MLP-GAF. I suspect the forum has become accustomed to your presence and you will no longer be accosted.

Have fun with your ponies, and as always, keep it safe!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Acerac said:
Swarm of the Century totally make sense. Dragonshy just seems a bit weak in comparison.

I've always liked Party of One as an intro episode due to the slightly over the top characterizations of all the ponies. I grant you that it's a bit extreme with all the representations of all the ponies, but I think it works. I believe there was an ED poll where it showed up as the top response for #1 show to introduce to new watchers as well, so I'm not alone in this thought.

But you really don't get a sense of any of the characters, except Pinkie Pie. And even then it's not even a really good representation of her in the rest of the series.

blamite

I'd guess Applebuck Season, Dragonshy, and (maybe) Swarm of the Century would be the best introductory episodes, Although I would probably say to watch the 2-part opener before those.

Acerac

Banned
Hmm... the point about Party of One making less sense if you're not familiar with Pinkie is a good one, same with Sonic Rainboom and RBD.

I guess that gives my nomination to Swarm of the Century. Very well rounded episode and it represents all the ponies pretty damn well without requiring tons of knowledge beforehand.

DrForester said:
But you really don't get a sense of any of the characters, except Pinkie Pie. And even then it's not even a really good representation of her in the rest of the series.

Your points are too logical, I can't disagree. My nomination for best starter ep has been changed to swarm of the century.

Chuck

Still without luck
I manetain that a newcomer start at the beginning, being episodes 1 and 2, as it sets up the characters very well for the most part.

I know some ponies will argue that they are not at all the best episodes compared to of most of the others, but a someone new jumping in at an episode thats plot line is showing a character flaw of a one caracter doesn't really show what the series is about very well.

Especially if they jump in at Dog and Pony Show or Sonic Rainboom because Rarity's personality will probably turn them off from the show entirely.

Acerac

Banned
ThreeSix said:
Dragonshy still does a better job of giving each character their own time and intro to the audience. In SotC AJ comes in halfway through with little intro and might leave someone new wondering if she's a main character.
You say that like acknowledging AJ weakens the show!

Better that somebody wonders if she's a main character than wondering why she's a main character. ;)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:
Ticketmaster is another good introduction episode I think.

The Pilot episode might not be the best example of how the stories will go, but it is a great intro to all the characters.

That's pretty much WHY you have to start with the Pilot.

It's like the first episode of The Wire. Pretty much everyone's reaction entails something along the lines of confusion, apathy, and general disdain for the characters and their motivations. By the time they finish the first season, however, they're hooked.

I've always thought that Cutie Mark Chronicles was a decent episode to start off with, since it introduces you to the mane cast and explains their personalities well enough through their Cutie Mark stories.

Ramma2 said:
Fluttershy's introduction in Episode 1 is what hooked me on this show.
Correct.

Did you say Fluttershy image spam?

7BcRV.jpg

qEZLb.jpg

zYSUb.jpg

Hq5Je.jpg

tEYdp.jpg

9HeGsh.jpg

krioC.jpg

q4qUl.jpg

5NiMah.jpg

DUd0t.jpg

HtfQP.jpg

If we're not allowed to go crazy with the images anymore just let me know and I'll switch them to links.

Darte

Hey guys, while I may not be posting much these days, I haven't left the group! I've been working on a little PMV for AJ since shes under appreciated by the fandom. Been slow work since I've barely had time after I graduated (and here I thought unemployment would mean lots of free time, but instead its writing and sending out a million resumes!).

So I worked on this little country pmv for AJ in the 30mins to an hour free time I've had over the past 2 months and I've reworked a lot of it. I'm still kind of a noob at editing but this video marks a step towards more complex projects in the future.

Applejack -Set to Easton Corbin's "A little more country than that"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7JB97DEHE

Germany folks: http://vimeo.com/28876187

Hope ya enjoy, x-posting to community!

Darte

Hey guys, while I may not be posting much these days, I haven't left the group! I've been working on a little PMV for AJ since shes under appreciated by the fandom. Been slow work since I've barely had time after I graduated (and here I thought unemployment would mean lots of free time, but instead its writing and sending out a million resumes!).

So I worked on this little country pmv for AJ in the 30mins to an hour free time I've had over the past 2 months and I've reworked a lot of it. I'm still kind of a noob at editing but this video marks a step towards more complex projects in the future.

Applejack -Set to Easton Corbin's "A little more country than that"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7JB97DEHE

Germany folks: http://vimeo.com/28876187

Hope ya enjoy, x-posted to OT topic!

jogarrr

ChuckNoLuck said:
I manetain that a newcomer start at the beginning, being episodes 1 and 2, as it sets up the characters very well for the most part.

I know some ponies will argue that they are not at all the best episodes compared to of most of the others, but a someone new jumping in at an episode thats plot line is showing a character flaw of a one caracter doesn't really show what the series is about very well.

Especially if they jump in at Dog and Pony Show or Sonic Rainboom because Rarity's personality will probably turn them off from the show entirely.
I agree with Chuck. If you want to be introduced to the show properly it's worth watching the first two episodes before watching one of the other recommended episodes.

Also, they may not be a good indication of the theme of the other episodes but I like the first two episodes a lot.

Confused101 said:
Correct.

Did you say Fluttershy image spam?

If we're not allowed to go crazy with the images anymore just let me know and I'll switch them to links.

Might wanna hold back on the
season finale image
for those who haven't seen it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom