• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Owlowiscious said:
megaman pony! megaman legends 3 pony!
O4x14.jpg

McNum

A customized Guybrush pony toy. Clearly there is more overlap between Monkey Island fans and My Little Pony fans that you would expect. Pirates and Ponies, two tastes that apparently go great together.

That makes me wonder just how many in the MLP FiM fanbase has actually played the Monkey Island games / are fans of Lucas Arts style adventure games.

OMG Aero

So now that we are only a mere 2 and a bit days from the first episode of season 2, I'd like to get some opinions on the time for the Synchtube for that day.
If the time in the season 2 thread is correct and I have worked out the time differences correctly (Note that I am absolutely terrible with time zones), then the episode airs 10 hours before the usual Synchtube time. I have no way of knowing how long a Youtube upload will take but I think last season took around 4 hours for a good quality one. In any case, there should almost certainly be one uploaded by the normal Synchtube time (Which would be this).

So for this week's stream of the first season 2 episode, would you guys prefer to stick to the usual time to keep consistent and to ensure there is an upload ready in time without having to reschedule, or do you want the stream to be earlier?

McNum

Well, I wouldn't be against going earlier, since it's post midnight the usual time here. But I'm good with the normal time, too, since I'm somewhat nocturnal anyway.

As for the Pony/Lucasarts adventure game fan crossover, I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat bigger than most people would except. The Lucasarts games had good writing and animation. Sound familiar?

Orcastar

Myke Greywolf said:
I've been thinking about this: maybe you shouldn't be comparing the number of faves to an artist who does fan art, but instead to an artist that makes plushies. What I'm saying is that plushies are generally a more niche form of art than pictures, so no matter how great Jackie's plushies are (and they really are amazing) and how much you promote them, they will always have less faves than great pieces of drawn fan art.

Think of it this way: almost anyone can appreciate a skillfully made drawing since all of us have drawn something at some point of our lives and so experienced first-hand how difficult it is and how much skill and talent it takes to draw well. However, how many people have tried making a plush toy or know anything about what making one entails? Almost nobody, so most peole don't have any kind of frame of reference for how much effort, skill and talent it takes to make something as amazing as an almost show-accurate Spitfire plushie with a Wonderbolt suit and goggles. I mean I knew that rationally thinking it must take a lot of work, but I had no idea what a painstaking and meticulous process it really is before seeing those videos.

So to sum it up, the masses don't appreciate quality plushies as much as they do quality drawings. It's sad considering how much work you two put into them, but true. Even so, I hope those videos bring you two some more recognition, because you really deserve it.

OMG Aero said:
So for this week's stream of the first season 2 episode, would you guys prefer to stick to the usual time to keep consistent and to ensure there is an upload ready in time without having to reschedule, or do you want the stream to be earlier?
I'm probably gonna miss this week's Synchtube (which sucks, to put it mildly), but for the future it would be nice if we could have them an hour or two earlier. The usual time is 2 am over here, but of course I understand that it's always going to be inconvenient to somebody no matter what time we pick.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People don't favorite the plushies because they're jealous they can't have them :)

Side Question for Myke. Is she planning a Celestia Plush at some point? Love to see how she'd handle the hair.

I vote earlier starting time. I'm not sure how this affects those overseas, but the ponyGAF synchs usually happen on Saturday nights in America, when I tend to be busy with friends or events, while Saturday afternoons are usually relatively free. I've only made like 3 synchtubes so far because of the time, and I'd hazard I'm not the only one.

EDIT: It also looks like a few hours earlier makes it easier for EuroGAF. The current time is midnight in London and 1 AM in Berlin. Moving that to, say, 10 PM for our Brit and Portugal GAFfers would probably make it more likely for them to attend

Xadhoom

Neo Member
I would prefer it if we did the Synchtube an hour or two earlier as well, although the usual time is still fine with me if it proves to be too much of a hassle to move it.

jogarrr

I pushed for Flash and Hasbro trusted me. I wanted 22 minute episodes, but briefly the plan was for 11s. Ticket Master was actually the very first script and was written before the show was greenlit, and it was originally 11 minutes. Hasbro changed its mind eventually - I can’t remember why. I was glad. I prefer 22s.
Thank goodness we got 22 minute episodes.

One 22 minute episode took almost a year from conception to completion. A final show usually aired about a month after it was delivered. There was an agonizing point in the schedule where we were literally working on all 26 episodes of season 1 at one time - and, once Season 2 was greenlit, we’d even be working on as many as 32 at once.
So much work making this show. I had no idea a single episode took so long to make. An assembly line of episodes, wow.

And Luna, though good, was meant to be associated with darkness and night - and these are considered (by some) to be iffy themes for a show for young girls - so she had to slide to the wayside.
Poor Luna :(

..except for when we had to ask him to make the Cutie Mark Crusader theme song WORSE - poor Daniel!
Keep at it Scootaloo! They'll let you sing to your full potential one day.

Informative interview, thanks for the link DrForester.

Sciz

They wanted a reboot, and she was really pushing to match the right talent with the right project. Hasbro was just coming off the success of the Michael Bay’s first Transformers movie and Lisa was interested in finding similar “creative stewards” - talent that would re-invent and lend their unique voice to their other properties.
This is all Michael Bay's fault? ahahahahahaha

DrForester said:

What an awesome interview. Faust is a great professional, and she and her team did a wonderful job.

Reading so much about how Faust really hates how they tackle girl shows now and how she wanted to improve this situation it makes me really sad how cartoon network and Boing in Spain want to get rid of this show as soon as possible. One by putting it in a channel where its only for kids of 1 to 3 years, and the other because it was probably bought in the same bag with Transformers prime by Boing because they wanted TP, but not MLP, but hasbro forced them to buy the two, so they decided to do ads for TP and put it at really good hours for kids (and even grown ups) to watch it, and send MLP to the abyss of 7 am during weekends (when people are sleeping) and 10:30 am during weekdays (when kids are in school), surrounded by shitty preschooler cartoons and shows.
And the dub being mediocre is also Cartoon Network Spain's fault because they thought they had a shitty show and didnt give it the usual money and actors the usually use for their other shows.
Its really sad :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

akira28

AdawgDaFAB said:
That makes me wonder just how many in the MLP FiM fanbase has actually played the Monkey Island games / are fans of Lucas Arts style adventure games.

I'd say a lot of the bronies are in the proper age group to have been playing CRPGs around the Lucasarts\Lucasfilms gaming age.

And Luna, though good, was meant to be associated with darkness and night - and these are considered (by some) to be iffy themes for a show for young girls - so she had to slide to the wayside.

I've had it up to here with the intolerance of you sun-worshipers. One of these days...pow!

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
That was a great, well thought out interview. It amazes me how she was able to pump out such quality work at that rate -- and in a different country from the studio. I've seen the development process of television shows first hand, and I've talked to producers, music directors and other production crew. Even on ordinary shows with enormous budgets and slower schedules, they're still swamped with work. All of my respect Lauren Faust, you deserve it!

Also, it warms my heart to see how personally she was involved in this project. Her dream was to prove that a girl's show could be good, and she succeeded.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Feep said:
Man, this song is catchy.

Flutterwonder
Sorry Feep for bringing this back over to the community area, but after catching up on the threads I felt it best to move it over here and I absolutely had to respond.

The song you linked reminds me of this:
Orbital - Halcyon On and On

I did a search but couldn't find any Pony related video's that go along with this song. Is there one?

If not, I think there should be one. A glorious 9:30 video!

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Kunonabi, try watching from episode 15 and onward. Derpy appears pretty frequently. Some easy appearances are her dropping stuff on Twilight in 15, and all over the place in Sonic Rainboom.

That interview is amazing. I just want to give her a hug.... or at least a good handshake telling her how awesome she is. It's really good that she has some "irons in the fire" as she put it. I'll definitely watch what she does with great interest.

And I've always wondered what Paul Rudish's involvement was. Awesome to know. I'd definitely buy the "pitch bible" if it were ever published.

Oh and new Toonami video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8THK3lMJ3o

Kinda had a lazy week catching up on my Phineas and Ferb.

Oh and I think it was posted here before but this guys' work is awesome. I think it was overshadowed by the guys who did the Bleach intro, but this guy made a pretty awesome One Piece OP2 video

And he just made an AWESOME Outlaw Star parody video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlh40k4qCsg

The guy definitely deserves some exposure.

Orcastar

Great interview. It seems they really do put in an amazing amount of work into each episode and it really shows. Also nice to hear that the whole brony phenomenon has give them even more drive to put in the long hours.

I also find it amazing that they managed to make episodes like Party of One if those IE standards are as strict as they appear to be on the basis of this interview. Can't imagine what they'll get away with if they have fewer restrictions in upcoming seasons, although I don't really want too see them go that overboard very often either.

And then for something completely different. We've seen human ponies, dog ponies and cat ponies, but how about... mole ponies?

What is this I don't even

Choppasmith said:
And he just made an AWESOME Outlaw Star parody video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlh40k4qCsg

The guy definitely deserves some exposure.

Well, know we only need a pony version of the Samurai Jack intro and with that, Outlaw Star and Cowboy bebop we would have the entire program roster used in the original spanish Toonami.
So much happy memories watching those three shows on wednesday nights. Toonami is what made me a Cowboy bebop fan.

EDIT:
Fucking lol, I stand corrected, there is already a Samurai Jack pony opening :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDY5YpLqypk

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, know we only need a pony version of the Samurai Jack intro and with that, Outlaw Star and Cowboy bebop we would have the entire program roster used in the original spanish Toonami.
So much happy memories watching those three shows on wednesday nights. Toonami is what made me a Cowboy bebop fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDY5YpLqypk
Already done.

EDIT: Beaten

OMG Aero

Regarding the Synchtube time, is there anyone who wouldn't be able to make it if it was one hour earlier than the usual time? Since a few people mentioned starting it a bit earlier, I'm thinking about trying it an hour earlier this week then see how it goes before deciding whether to keep this time or make it earlier/later again for next week.
However, if there is anyone who would be able to make the usual time but not an hour earlier, speak up and we'll keep the time the same for this week.
DrForester said:
Wow, this is a really interesting and fascinating look into how the first season was made.
Also here's a comic you might like Forester:

OMG Aero said:
Wow, this is a really interesting and fascinating look into how the first season was made.

Well, more goebbles... i mean celestia propaganda.

I was only joking Dr Forester, please, dont send me to a space station to watch horrible movies :(

Its most probably what happened. Also I like that the elements of harmony were the ones to change Clestia's hair colour.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I had a dream where all PonyGAFers were marked by a circle-stamp of some sort of Hasbro logo on their avatars that were non-removable, becoming a nazi-esque badge of shame.

Ellis Kim said:
I had a dream where all PonyGAFers were marked by a circle-stamp of some sort of Hasbro logo on their avatars that were non-removable, becoming a nazi-esque badge of shame.
Sounds like you need to take a break from . . . the internet for a few days.

Ashenai

Neo Member
Ellis Kim said:

I'm also into Magic the Gathering, can I have TWO Hasbro Nazi Stamps?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OMG Aero said:
Regarding the Synchtube time, is there anyone who wouldn't be able to make it if it was one hour earlier than the usual time? Since a few people mentioned starting it a bit earlier, I'm thinking about trying it an hour earlier this week then see how it goes before deciding whether to keep this time or make it earlier/later again for next week.
However, if there is anyone who would be able to make the usual time but not an hour earlier, speak up and we'll keep the time the same for this week.

Anything that doesn't spread Celestia slander is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom