• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'd really like to know why it annoys you to see Twilight black.
because both her parents are clearly white.

also black people are a different species who live in scary neighbourhoods and speak in barely comprehensible english, duh.

What annoys me, besides the existence of Zebras in the show throwing a wrench into that depiction, is there's no consistency. It's just Twilight, not all ponies, or all the unicorns, just the one character.

That's my reason, stated before.

I don't really care what color they are drawn as. However, for anyone who would bring up Zecora when talking about why Human Twilight shouldn't be black, I don't see it as a valid reasoning. She can be black without having to be the same race as Zecora.

karby

...I see. I find it interesting that "bronies" who watch a show, which is primarily aimed at young girls, and trying to deliver the message of making friends with all kinds of people from different walks of life, want to portray all the main characters as being exactly the same. I also find it interesting that the same 'bronies' who seem so invested in crying, and whining about how they are 'discriminated' against because of their interests, want everyone to accept them in spite of their perceived differences--yet become 'annoyed' when one of the characters, who isn't even human by the way, would be interpreted and portrayed differently than what they want to see, especially when there is no canonical definition of the character in that form to begin with.

Zecora is from another land. Twilight is from another land. They are not the same, and come from different places...there is a difference, for example, between and an African and an African American. The introduction of zebras doesn't throw a wrench in anything.

akira28

Artistic license. Twilight is the urbane, modernista pony from the big city, sent out to small town Equestria to live outside of her comfort zone. Some artists have wanted to show the diversity of the characters, reflecting the ethnic diversity of the human world, and the pony world where they're all different skin colors anyway. One artist made a black twilight, and obviously other artists liked it. They have white and asian and hispanic twilights and sometimes an asian rarity, etc. Some of the others have been switched up a bit too. It's not really an issue beyond personal preference, and some are perfectly within their right to be annoyed.

I think it's a cute touch, myself, since I usually thought of TS as "white", whatever that means, but it's a nice difference, black Twilight aka the voice of reason. Kind of fits with the trope world.

OMG Aero

...I see. I find it interesting that "bronies" who watch a show, which is primarily aimed at young girls, and trying to deliver the message of making friends with all kinds of people from different walks of life, want to portray all the main characters as being exactly the same. I also find it interesting that the same 'bronies' who seem so invested in crying, and whining about how they are 'discriminated' against because of their interests, want everyone to accept them in spite of their perceived differences--yet become 'annoyed' when one of the characters, who isn't even human by the way, would be interpreted and portrayed differently than what they want to see, especially when there is no canonical definition of the character in that form to begin with.

Zecora is from another land. Twilight is from another land. They are not the same, and come from different places...there is a difference, for example, between and an African and an African American. The introduction of zebras doesn't throw a wrench in anything.
I find it interesting that you take something two people said and attribute it to a whole group of people.

karby

It's not really an issue beyond personal preference, and some are perfectly within their right to be annoyed.

Not saying anyone doesn't have a right, but only that it goes both ways.

Edit:
I find it interesting that you take something two people said and attribute it to a whole group of people.
I've seen it happen over and over, in various pony communities I've visited, though admittedly, this is the first time I've seen it show up in pony-gaf. Outcry from 'bronies' for being different than mainstream, yet the annoyance or disdain for human versions of Twilight (or any of the other characters, besides Zecora) having skin darker than a sheet of printing paper. A show about being different and celebrating differences, but portraying everyone exactly the same. The contradictions of those two points are questionable, I think. Which is why I asked in the first place.

It annoys me that Twilight is black because she's obviously purple.

This just randomly made me think, we need some humanized pictures drawn Doug style!
Doug-old-school-nickelodeon-20539311-1024-768.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
CHEEZMO™;33152835 said:
Hair.

/pedant

Pelage.

/sips wine.

edit: the arguments for black twilight could be equally applicable for an 80year old korean male fluttershy, which just seems arbritary at best. so i can understand why some people might be annoyed by the injection of inconsistent racial distinctions in a show where colour distinctions dont seem to exist.

Not saying anyone doesn't have a right, but only that it goes both ways.

Edit:

I've seen it happen over and over, in various pony communities I've visited, though admittedly, this is the first time I've seen it show up in pony-gaf. Outcry from 'bronies' for being different than mainstream, yet the annoyance or disdain for human versions of Twilight (or any of the other characters, besides Zecora) having skin darker than a sheet of printing paper. A show about being different and celebrating differences, but portraying everyone exactly the same. The contradictions of those two points are questionable, I think. Which is why I asked in the first place.

I've seen it around, too, and I agree, it's pretty annoying.

I remember way back in the early days of the community there was a shitstorm about this very thing from someone drawing a humanized Twilight black. I suspect that's how black Twilight became psuedo-fanon.

It's like people think of white people as the default, and you need some sort of excuse to make someone a different race, usually for stereotypical reasons. So Twilight might be white, or she might be Asian because she's studious, but if anyone makes her Mexican or something they're being PC police. It's kinda bullshit to be honest.

Pelage.

/sips wine.

edit: the arguments for black twilight could be equally applicable for an 80year old korean male fluttershy, which just seems arbritary at best. so i can understand why some people might be annoyed by the injection of inconsistent racial distinctions in a show where colour distinctions dont seem to exist.

Well yeah, black Twi is pretty arbitrary. So's white Twilight, or any race you would decide to assign her. Treating the black depictions of the mane 6 as somehow requiring justification uncritically and problematically assumes whiteness as the tabula rasa human condition.

Fanon's pretty viral in this community, for obvious reasons. Pinkie being axe murder insane was just as arbitrary, particularly prior to S1E25, but it became common in a ton of fanworks because people liked it and as a nod to prior fanworks. Black Twilight works pretty similarly.

akira28

I've decided. She's black.

(or arbitrarily white. Inconsistently asian? whatevs. They're ponies and this can't be an actual argument, can it? Or difference of opinion.)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Well yeah, black Twi is pretty arbitrary. So's white Twilight, or any race you would decide to assign her. Treating the black depictions of the mane 6 as somehow requiring justification uncritically and problematically assumes whiteness as the tabula rasa human condition.
nobody said anything about making the entire cast black/asian/whatever or even going the diversity rainbow route. its the one off surprise-twilight-is-black, why? because! that i assume cheez was revering to.

akira28

but aren't most fan art depictions "one offs"? Dude decides to make his Twilight an African American, maybe from the start, maybe during the coloring phase, whenever, whatever. Doesn't matter. It's a different look. Are you really saying that because it clashes with some kind of fandom continuity, that it's a "thing"?

Because it so isn't.

"why?" Because is really a good enough answer. Cad's right, if people are requiring some justification.

You're right actually. Fanartists can make whatever crazy stuff they want. If it all had to be logical or follow the source, we would never get a lot of the great stuff we get.

Black Twilight isn't offensive, neither is serial killer Pinkie Pie or Octopus Octavia. Just crazy lolrandom.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Black Twilight?

Ugh, I JUST CAN'T RELATE!

UberTag

It just dawned on me with the race discussion in this thread that for all the anime comparisons the show gets to Sailor Moon (for the Nightmare Moon-Discord arcs) and Azumanga Daioh (for the character driven slice-of-life episodes outside of it) - the one anime series comparison that seems to fit best across the board is Kaleido Star.

That series is all about an outsider trying to make friends in a new place, fit in and live out her dream.

Sora Naegino = Twilight Sparkle
Ken Robbins = Spike
Anna Heart = Rainbow Dash / Pinkie Pie hybrid
Mia Guillem = Rarity
Layla Hamilton = Princess Celestia
May Wong = Trixie

Incidentally, in that show does it matter that Sora is Asian? Nope. Does she have a stereotypical Asian personality? Nope. No reason human Twilight can't be an adorkable African American, either.

This thread and this fandom are English speaking, so I assume it's mostly America and Europe fandoms. Those regions have a majority of caucasians. So that's why their fanart is mostly Caucasian. If you got fanart from Africa without seeing other area's fanarts, you'd get a group of African human ponies. We're starting to get some fanart from Asia and it's in anime style, which are all drawing them as Asian.

It was great to see a character (besides Rarity) who was both high-class and a good person.

anime style, which are all drawing them as Asian.

Examples?

This is coming from someone who usually looks at the bright hair and eyes and roundness thereof and considers anime characters caucasian.)

Dennis

Banned
Did you guys see how Celestia made Rarity kiss her hooves?

That is some medieval-style oppression right there.

The Lunar Republic will end this tyranny and it can't come soon enough.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Did you guys see how Celestia made Rarity kiss her hooves?

That is some medieval-style oppression right there.

The Lunar Republic will end this tyranny and it can't come soon enough.

Gives apprentice's sycophantic friend free housing?

WHAT A MONSTER!

It was great to see a character (besides Rarity) who was both high-class and a good person.

Examples?

This is coming from someone who usually looks at the bright hair and eyes and roundness thereof and considers anime characters caucasian.)
How racist of you.
My understanding is big old anime eyes and bright hair = asian. They draw caucasian with beady lil eyes usually.

I don't really save pictures and stuffs so I don't have any links, and I don't want to look through pages and pages of threads to try to find and example. Sorry.

McNum

Good times were had. Not sure how I got that many points, but I'm not one to complain. Also, second Heavy milestone! Woo! Heavies are almost overpowered on Payload, really. Just stick to the cart, and get infinite ammo and a dispenser beam. Spin up and let the cart push you. Of course, a good enemy sniper can end that trick real fast since the cart doesn't overheal. My only negative is that I didn't get any drops other than the Nastasha that came with the milestone, and I got one of those already from the Heavy Starter Pack.

Ah, well, it's not the drops that's the fun, it's the "Oooh! Brakkabrakkabrakka! Ahahahaha!!" that's fun. Or bringing someone from single digit health and on fire to overheal as a Medic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Give a pony a suite in your castle for a week.

Must be a troll...

Celestia defence force is small, but I've got canon on my side!

forums aren't democracies. we post what we enjoy within the space we share until evilore or staff acting in his interest tells us what we post is unacceptable and then we stop. the best we can do is exchange not complaining for not being complained about and try to get along. as it happens, this forum also supports an ignore feature to help people who cant understand that they do not have the ability to decide what should be acceptable posting material.
That's cool. Fyi, posting like that has driven away people from this thread. So. I guess it's cool that it's just people like that and people complaining about that left in the thread. 2% ruining the other 98%'s day and all that.

McNum

Give a pony a suite in your castle for a week.

Must be a troll...

Celestia defence force is small, but I've got canon on my side!
I'm on the Celestia Defense Force. Yes, I am aware that my avatar might suggest otherwise, but I like both princesses. Sure, Celestia likes a good prank, and Luna has the expected social skills for one who's been isolated for 1000 years, but they're not evil. Well, Luna WAS, but she got better.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
That's cool. Fyi, posting like that has driven away people from this thread. So. I guess it's cool that it's just people like that and people complaining about that left in the thread. 2% ruining the other 98%'s day and all that.
i'm fine with that. the 2% don't owe anything to the 98%. if the 98% cant deal like the 2% deals with the 98%, then yes they should leave.

we have no responsibility to entertain others at our own expense, so majority rules can go flying out the window.

if someone told you that if you stopped posting the thread would get 5 new fans, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom