• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGAME

Dude, I read thru this at work today. Amazing, thank you for introducing it to me. I look forward to the story continuing.

Yes, me too. I fall in love with this comic

My favorite is still and always, Slice of Pony Life.

And Moonstuck.

And something not made by Egophiliac, and may not be related to the show...

And these are good too. Slice of life, Ask Molestia and Heartstrings are my 3 favorites right now...

Think well, I believe that I'm like more the fan made material than the proper show. hehehe

I hope that S4 can make like more the show again.

Tenumi

Banned
I just want to watch MLPFIM to have fun, is that really too much to ask? I don't want to analyze, or debate, or anything, I just want to be entertained!

Honestly though, I enjoyed all 3 seasons, 3rd less so but still did. I wish I could understand what goes through the minds of "haters", though. Is it just 'target of the week' to them or what?

of the week. ah ha.. ah ha ha ha......... :(

Well during the season the crazy analyzations and debates happen in the on-topic thread (aka OT) and not the off-topic thread (aka OT). So you don't seem them in here in the OT since they're in the OT

PaulloDEC

My favorite is still and always, Slice of Pony Life.

Ok, I can't believe I never bothered to read this before. This is great.

I just want to watch MLPFIM to have fun, is that really too much to ask? I don't want to analyze, or debate, or anything, I just want to be entertained!

Honestly though, I enjoyed all 3 seasons, 3rd less so but still did. I wish I could understand what goes through the minds of "haters", though. Is it just 'target of the week' to them or what?

I'm a bit like that too. I'm open to a little discussion, but generally I just like to relax and enjoy it all.

of the week. ah ha.. ah ha ha ha......... :(

Well during the season the crazy analyzations and debates happen in the on-topic thread (aka OT) and not the off-topic thread (aka OT). So you don't seem them in here in the OT since they're in the OT

xEn.gif

Videoneon

Hehehehe. I guess I'm alone in not enjoying this episode.

But I do believe that Trixie came to town as a performer, and that performing magic tricks to entertain others was an unselfish fulfilling of a completely noble cutie mark destiny. I have no problem whatsoever with her over-the-top show persona. I think that Rarity, AJ, and RD were ruining her show in ways that fit with their characters (Rarity is a magician who doesn't make her living by being a great magician, so she responded badly to the suggestion that magic is everything, while AJ has horn envy, and RD is a follower), and I believe that Trixie did a perfect job of improvising a solution to heckling. The crowd loved it, including the kids. The only real complaint against Trixie was how she treated the public while she was off-the-clock and unable to walk the streets or even sleep in peace without being treated as her show-character. Trixie actually made efforts using what little power she had towards saving a town (not knowing it contained the Saviors of Equestria), which is more than Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash did in that episode.

Twilight was also character-assassinated in the second Trixie episode, because at first she wanted to watch and enjoy Trixie's show, because she was interested in new styles and applications of magic, but Spike and company put Twilight on the spot by trying to include her in the hecking. It was Rarity/AJ/RD/Spike who drove Twilight to hide who she was in that episode, not Trixie.

But in the second episode, Twilight is every bit the jerk who the Mane 6 wanted her to be. In Trixie's first episode, Twilight was way more powerful than Trixie (I mean, Twilight is all-powerful and Trixie has none to speak of), but the episode was never about that. In the second episode, that's all that matters.

I can't agree here; I think that the fact that Trixie sought out an amulet and aimed to exact revenge on Twilight, basically holding Ponyville hostage no matter what she did or how the duel went, was consistent with her character considering the previous episode. She constantly provoked the crowd for no reason in Boast Busters. By the way, regarding Twilight feeling she had to hide herself in Boast Busters, Twilight was still new to town and was still adjusting to her new friends, maybe adjusting to socializing in general. Rarity and AJ said there's nothing wrong with being talented, they just didn't like Trixie's manner. Twilight couldn't get over being hung up about other people perceiving her as a show-off if she took on Trixie. That was the point of the episode, if Twilight took Trixie on in any magical competition it didn't necessarily mean that Twilight was a show-off.

It's not like you can't ever do stuff like that; there's such a thing as showmanship, egging people on for effect, teasing and etc. etc. And I don't think a traveling showman career is inherently dishonest or despicable. But she crossed a line in her first appearance because she just wouldn't stop blowing herself up, putting other ponies down and humiliating them for no reason. She could have just outperformed the Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash without screwing around with them. Plus, the treatment of Snips and Snails isn't so great even if they seem to like her.

As far as Ursa Major, it's hard to say anything definitive about it. I think Trixie's attempts were in vain, she didn't have anything to lose by trying but she knew she was in over her head because she was nervous when she saw it. She did try which is good but it has to be said she has a vested interest in doing so (propping up her image as a monster slayer). The other ponies don't often seem to be that amazing in the face of huge threats. Fluttershy manages to calm down the Dragon in Dragonshy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash sometimes threaten antagonists even if they're in over their head (against Discord, the three dragons from Secret of My Excess). Geez. Fluttershy may have the second best track record for villains next to Twilight.

Otherwise I don't really have an issue with how over the top she is. Hell, my favorite pony is Rarity, though I think she's been more subdued recently. To be clear my problem with her this episode was that she was super boring. I kind of her like her as an antagonist, though there's a certain other antagonist(s) that claims the title of my favorite

I do agree that Rainbow Dash tends to follow the other stronger-willed ponies like Applejack. Not that she doesn't stand her ground, like in Over a Barrel where things went south between her and Applejack. But she seems to defer to other ponies quite often unexpectedly, and not just for stuff like choosing a pet or etiquette matters.

Haha, excuse me if the discussions are making you uncomfortable. Not that I think everyone needs to debate (Cheerilee is fucking keeping me on my toes =P) and I realize that too much of it will make things feel too serious and mess up the atmosphere of the topic. I do appreciate the art and gif posts in this thread. You certainly don't have to debate and analyze.

Try not to worry about my posts, if you could.

akira28

Trixie in danger of becoming best pony again.

the monster slayer bit was all kayfabe, and she knew that. I got the impression that she was annoyed as hell at snips and snails when they didn't. Especially when she's trying to buy them time to save themselves by confronting a giant star bear.

akira28

This has never been a danger. Her behavior, like treating Snips and Snails like crap in Boast Busters shows it was more than a simple stage performance.

she was a tired performer, she just needed a cigarette and a cup of tea, and she would have come back to them like "sorry kid, here's an autographed picture and 6 free tickets to my next show". Trixie just needed a chance.

Orcastar

So volume #6 of the comics came out yesterday. Was OK, kind of retread of stuff from the last issue, but the method of getting to the moon was nice. Especially like how when everyone is pulling the moon, Luna and the rest are all struggling, but Celestia is just keeping cool. And the reveal at the end was very nice. Look forward to the next issues.

Also out today was the 3rd micro book. The Twilight and Rainbow Dash ones weren't bad, but they weren't that special. This one is the Rarity story, and it really is great. Fun characters, and pretty good characterization of the others when they make brief appearances.

I haven't had the chance to read volume 6 yet, but the Rarity micro comic was amazing. Nice story, good jokes and amazing art with lots of cool little details (
Tara pony!
). I also liked all the little callbacks to the TV series.

Also, Derpy
being a mailmare is now canon!

Go pick it up; you won't be disappointed like you probably were with Twilight and Dash's micro comics.

1fJzMdc.png

Cheerilee

I go into hiding before the episodes air, because I want to enjoy the show free from any outside influences. But after the episodes are done, I also enjoy finding out what other fans thought of them, and offer my own opinions. That's part of the core of any fandom. Sometimes if there's a debate around conflicting opinions, I'll get a bit carried away, which isn't deliberate. At the end of the day, everyone has the right to their own opinions, and I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the show.

And I know I said just earlier that I wanted the producers to apologize for making season 3, and implied that I wasn't going to give Equestria Girls a fair chance if they didn't, but judging season 3 as the worst thing ever has kind of become a meme by this point, as has pre-judging Equestria Girls and S4 Twilight. And I figured the joke about MLP being doomed fit with the idea that the MLP writers felt that Trixie needed to apologize for her free show.

I'm completely open to giving Equestria Girls a chance to shake things up. And I'm very excited about season 4's return to 26 episodes, and the semi-confirmed status of a 26 episode season 5. Although, from a theoretical standpoint, I do think that Twilight might have jumped the shark, and that the show might really benefit if she took a step into the background before she wears out her welcome, and allowed Trixie or even Hot Rod Sunset Shimmer to carry the show in season 5, if not season 4. That would elevate Twilight's status to legendary in guest appearances, and she could come back like Coca-Cola Classic if/when her replacement doesn't cut it.

Although the show's producers seem committed to keeping Twilight right where she is for at least season 4, and it's unlikely that Trixie would ever be given the lead role in the show, no matter how perfect I believe she would be at filling in for a shark-jumped Twilight.

And who knows, the producers might be right, and Twilight has not jumped any sharks, and even if she did, two more full seasons worth of shark-jumpey Twilight might be the most awesome thing ever.

I do agree that Rainbow Dash tends to follow the other stronger-willed ponies like Applejack. Not that she doesn't stand her ground, like in Over a Barrel where things went south between her and Applejack. But she seems to defer to other ponies quite often unexpectedly, and not just for stuff like choosing a pet or etiquette matters.
And just to be clear, I listed Rainbow Dash as "Best Pony who is not Celestia or Luna" just the other day.

This has never been a danger. Her behavior, like treating Snips and Snails like crap in Boast Busters shows it was more than a simple stage performance.
More than simple, yes. It's not like she was out hunting for servants, considering the only two who fell for that plan (if that was a plan), were dim-witted, unsupervised children.

Trixie wasn't being treated like a person (pony). Fans were pestering her while she was off-duty, just trying to live her life between shows in her mobile home. When trouble came knocking, she dropped the voice and mannerisms entirely.

Prade

Amazing...

Manual labor! Just today, I was repairing a toilet. Tomorrow I plan on inhaling some paint fumes. After tomorrow, well... I haven't thought that far ahead.

Of course! Show is for manly men that partake in only the manliness of man things.

Videoneon

Damn, my appreciation for Applejack has gone up recently and for no explicable reason. I'll have to rank the Mane6 sometime soon.

Finally, after more than one year, I finished ponyGAF pony #20: DrForester. Sorry that it took so long, doc.

Whoa. The sunlight effects on that are astounding. And I love the wispiness of the clouds.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, AJ and Twilight both jockey for #3 on my list after RD and Fluttershy. Think it will depend on how Twilight is handled in S4.

kunonabi

my ranking went from

End of Season 1

Rarity
Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Pinkie Pie

End of Season 2(Pinkie and Twilight flip-flopped for most of the season)

Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash

End of Season 3(Applejack and Pinkie also fought for 2nd place for much of the season)

Rarity
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash

Pinkie fluctuates because she really depends on how they write her.

That stain-glass Rarity is fantastic

Videoneon

Something a friend of mine made. Fluttershy is next.

(image)

Fabulous pony is fabulous. That's some amazing work, props to your friend.

my ranking went from

End of Season 1

Rarity
Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Pinkie Pie

End of Season 2(Pinkie and Twilight flip-flopped for most of the season)

Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash

End of Season 3(Applejack and Pinkie also fought for 2nd place for much of the season)

Rarity
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Fluttershy
Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash

Pinkie fluctuates because she really depends on how they write her.

That stain-glass Rarity is fantastic

Fabulous pony is fabulous again. Unfortunately I don't have rankings after each season written down, I only loosely remember my impressions.

I knew I liked Rarity most somewhere after the midpoint of the first season, IIRC. It's never changed since then. I liked Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash a lot more in S1. I started to like Pinkie Pie more in S2, though I loved Party of One. At first I didn't like her at all, but the more episodes I saw that showed her caring about her friends, the more I warmed up to her. Fluttershy I liked a lot more in S1, but it's tapered off only slightly. Applejack I've been consistently indifferent to, until recently where for no reason I like her a lot. S1 I couldn't care less about Applejack.

As it stands:

Rarity
Applejack
Pinkie Pie
Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash
Twilight Sparkle

After S3, my entire ranking changed. It will be interesting to see how much it will change for you.

And I've got several episodes to go, too.

$200

Banned

*poni list time*

End of Season 1 (only lasted a few days since I started season 2 immediately after)

Dash
Twilight
didn't care much about the others

End of Season 2

Pinkie > Dash >> Twilight >> Applejack > Rarity >> Fluttershy

End of Season 3

Dash = Pinkie
4 way tie between the rest

Fluttershy and Rarity (despite no episode) were both pretty awesome in s3; Pinkie was really awful; the less said about Twilight the better.

Tenumi

Banned
My rankings have seemed to pretty much stayed the same throughout all three seasons.

Fluttershy
Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Rainbow Dash.

Only real fluctuation is between Rainbow and Applejack.

PaulloDEC

I haven't had the chance to read volume 6 yet, but the Rarity micro comic was amazing. Nice story, good jokes and amazing art with lots of cool little details (
Tara pony!
). I also liked all the little callbacks to the TV series.

Also, Derpy
being a mailmare is now canon!

Go pick it up; you won't be disappointed like you probably were with Twilight and Dash's micro comics.

1fJzMdc.png

I've not read the Twilight or Dash issues, but I just now finished reading the Rarity micro-comic. Have to agree with the above, it was pretty great. I could totally see it working as a regular episode of the show, actually.

UberTag

I haven't done pony rankings in a while.
I guess I should get these in while the Rarity support is plentiful...

1) Rarity
Sweetie Belle
2) Fluttershy
Princess Celestia
3) Rainbow Dash
Apple Bloom
4) Princess Twilight Sparkle (now with wings) - used to be right at the top just behind Rarity
Princess Luna
5) Applejack
Scootaloo
6) Pinkie Pie
Princess Cadance

Was I the only one that actually liked Season 3? :/

I loved season 3. It was the season that started me on the series. I had seen a few episodes of season one back in the day, but Magic Duel really made me want to go back and watch the whole show. My favorite episode of the whole show is Sleepless in Ponyville, just adore the ending to that one.

PaulloDEC

I definitely liked it. I don't think it had as strong of episodes as season 2, but that doesn't mean it was bad.

Having a half-length run certainly didn't help either. It made the bad episodes really stand out, when they'd have been much more forgiveable in a longer season.

For me personally, several of the S3 episodes stand up as some of the best in the entire run.

I loved season 3. It was the season that started me on the series. I had seen a few episodes of season one back in the day, but Magic Duel really made me want to go back and watch the whole show. My favorite episode of the whole show is Sleepless in Ponyville, just adore the ending to that one.

Sleepless is fantastic. It was so good to see Scoots finally get her own story, and the writer (a newbie to the show no less) did a really terrific job with the structure and characterisation.

jDpQspGWKlH5m.png

There we go.

Bought from Etsy, super-nice person selling these, worked like a charm, highly recommend.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Toyponystudios?ref=seller_info

Love it!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Season 3 was a bit of a downside, but not by that much. There were some great episodes like Sleepless in Ponyville, Just for Sidekicks, and Magical Mystery Cure. Overall, there were some pacing issues with the script, which hopefully will be fixed in S4 now that Meghan has has a short season to get the hang of being editor.

For me, Season 3 never hit the highs of season 2 (though, Sleepless is my #2 episode behind Hurricane Fluttershy), but at the same time, season 3 never hit the lows of season 2 either (Mare do Well, MMMystery).

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Some reason I've drawn ponies when trying something new in art. I don't think I did anything new besides really buckle down on Colors (a 3DS app) and use it beyond just some doodles and line work. Also it's cool that it records your work so anyone can see how I've worked on it [Viewable here]. Overall, well pleased on the results.

Cheerilee

So I'm sure some of you remember me complaining about how YTV (the biggest kids show network up here in Canada) picked up the rights to MLP:FIM, but then they tossed it to their sister station "Treehouse", a money-losing commercial-free network for babies, where it totally doesn't fit?

Well that's still going on. Apparently Treehouse got their hands on season 3 about two weeks after the Hub finished airing new episodes. I'm not really sure why they keep paying for new episodes. It doesn't make any sense to me.

But that's not the reason I'm posting. I just noticed that YTV recently picked up Littlest Pet Shop. For themselves, not for Treehouse. They seem to have given it a solid two-hour block on early Sunday mornings (as in, four episodes a week, back-to-back-to-back-to-back).

Which is not to say that I begrudge LPS a nice timeslot on YTV (LPS is way better than the vast majority of YTV's no-budget reality-TV lineup), it just seems odd to me.

akira28

are they trying to prevent the birth of new bronies?

i could conceivably rock that sweet looking Angel bunny decal on my car. But if I really wanted to "come at me bro" the rest of the world, I'd rock the Wet Rarity decal. I'm considering it. Meatheads need to be trolled.

edit: aww man, I really want the angel decal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom