• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

I dreamed I was at Disneyland with my friends.

One of them was in a music competition. The audience votes. They and a competing band were talking before hand. One threw out peppermint candy canes to the audience. I grabbed a bunch and walked around to the far end of the auditorium, handing out the candy and saying "Vote for Mike". After handing out all the candy I realized my friend's name isn't Mike, it's probably James. I leave the auditorium.

I realize our trip is almost done, and hey! I didn't even go to the castle or the epcot center. We should all meet up and take a group photo there! I start walking around Trying to find my friends so we can take the group photo.

I run into a friend not part of my group. Tell him he should join us for the photo! But he says he's busy working. He's standing next to a tiny car. Guess he has to drive one of the stars around. Someone in a suit walks up and says he doesn't have to wait, he can go. Guess his ride was cancelled. Awkward silence. I then realize he's still on the job and probably can't leave his car, so we part ways.

I'm back near the auditorium, and the end of what I assume is a long line of young girls. I see a sign by the ropes, it's for something Justin Beiber related. Looking past the sign, I see something that catches my eye, arcade demos.

I find a row of white sleek arcade machines, all Dance Dance Revolution kind of games. Looks like a Disney themed DDR is being tested here. I try it out. The symbols on the screen on a bit confusing as to where to step on the floor, or what arrows to hit. Sometimes they'd even show numbers like 7 8 9 and you'd have to hit the correct arrow, using fighting game move terminology (7 is down-back, 8 is down, 9 is down forward)

I think I started to leave the machines when I realize it's about time to wake up because I have to go play My Little Pony Card Games (and maybe destiny0 and snap wide awake.

ED interviews Katie Cook. The questions related to the story of the comics largely were either useless or odd, but otherwise, it was a decent interview. We did learn, however, that the Rarity microseries issue was indeed originally proposed with a story extremely similar to that of "Rarity Takes Manehattan"; and that for the first story, Hasbro actually provided a list of premises she could use, one of which was simply, "Queen Chrysalis returns."

On another note, I didn't think "You'll Play Your Part" was that great at first, but after listening to a tab of foreign dubbed songs that I forgot I had open, I realized that that song has really grown on me a lot.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but I finally gave in. Journal of the Two Sisters will be the very first physical My Little Pony product I own.

PaulloDEC

On another note, I didn't think "You'll Play Your Part" was that great at first, but after listening to a tab of foreign dubbed songs that I forgot I had open, I realized that that song has really grown on me a lot.

One of my favourite songs overall. Love me some Princess harmony.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but I finally gave in. Journal of the Two Sisters will be the very first physical My Little Pony product I own.

Good choice, there's lots of neat stuff in there.

SEASON 5 TEASER! IT'S HAPPENING!

... Spring 2015, so March at earliest. No other big details given.

In before someone complains about it focusing solely on Twilight. Also, lol at the product plug at the end.

Tenumi

Banned
First of all, I appologize for previous outbursts. It's been a bit of a ride for me emotionally lately. Don't really want to get into all the details, but it's just stuff I've got to learn to live with.

It's on my Christmas list. Been looking forward to it since I heard about it.

In before someone complains about it focusing solely on Twilight. Also, lol at the product plug at the end.

Yeah, understandable... After all, this isn't a solo ride here.

That was seriously hilarious, though, hearing that announcer guy during the product plug. Talk about a tonal shift.

Loona

Saw Rainbow Rocks the other day - not back, but thanks to
Vinyl Scratch
, the ol' "friendship is magic" might as well be replaced with "isolation is salvation".
(well, maybe not that much, but still...)
I liked the Scott Pilgrimish moments, and
Bulk Biceps on the violin
was an interesting surprise.

$200

Banned

Assuming it starts in March...that's still 10 whole months after the END of season 4. How is that even acceptable :\

McNum

That was seriously hilarious, though, hearing that announcer guy during the product plug. Talk about a tonal shift.
The fun thing is that it's actually not a tonal shift. He keeps the same tone of voice and stoic demeanor as he starts hawking toys. "Season 5 is coming and buy our toys."

Cheerilee

The fun thing is that it's actually not a tonal shift. He keeps the same tone of voice and stoic demeanor as he starts hawking toys. "Season 5 is coming and buy our toys."

With how serious his voice was, I was expecting a punchline. I wasn't expecting a good punchline, more like an Adam Sandler-style record scratch followed by one of the characters saying "Nope" followed by fun music and quick cuts of playful ponies.

The way he casually glided into "buy our toys" with a straight face (voice) ended up being so weird, it was a much better punchline.

PaulloDEC

Well, the wait is kind of a bummer, but at least we've got something now. Wonder why there's been such a big gap?

Bracing myself for Doc Forester's reaction.
Not unreasonable in this case, mind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, it's the Twilight Sparkle Show ad. You'd think an ad talking about her journey to being the Princess of Friendship might mention her doing things with her friends. I'm still holding out some hope in that comicon clip, where it seems to indicate the premier will actually allow the other 5 to have a meaningful role in those episodes again.

Honestly, what gets my attention most is that they don't say "Coming this spring to Discovery Family". The lack of station identification might be the most interesting thing about this ad.

Cheerilee

Bracing myself for Doc Forester's reaction.
Not unreasonable in this case, mind.

I was okay with Twilight Sparkle being the star of the show, and the focus of things like advertising, but Equestria Girls 2 went too far. The end of EG1 said that Twilight cannot come back (at least, not easily), and then EG2 tossed that aside with a handwave, so that Twilight could steal the spotlight from a character that really needed the extra screentime, damaging the core of the movie and adding nothing to it, beyond a giant distraction. The lack of Twilight in EG2 would actually have made the pro-Twilight setup for EG3 even better. Superior Sunset + Return of Twilight = Better EG3. But no, let's not invest in new characters, because MLP movies cannot be made without Twilight barging her way into the lead role. Sunset Shimmer can have eighth billing, after Spike, in her breakout role.

On it's own, I would be fine with this commercial, and even a Twilight-focused S5. But after EG2, I'm feeling a lot more cynical about why Princess Stagehog is the focus of the commercial.

McNum

Hasbro really wants an Optimus Prime of My Little Pony. They've complained about not having THE pony that everyone knows, unlike how when you think Transformers, it has to feature an Optimus Prime or some derivative of him in it somewhere. Looks like they're trying to set up Twilight Sparkle as that character.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was okay with Twilight Sparkle being the star of the show, and the focus of things like advertising, but Equestria Girls 2 went too far. The end of EG1 said that Twilight cannot come back (at least, not easily), and then EG2 tossed that aside with a handwave, so that Twilight could steal the spotlight from a character that really needed the extra screentime, damaging the core of the movie and adding nothing to it, beyond a giant distraction. The lack of Twilight in EG2 would actually have made the pro-Twilight setup for EG3 even better. Superior Sunset + Return of Twilight = Better EG3. But no, let's not invest in new characters, because MLP movies cannot be made without Twilight barging her way into the lead role. Sunset Shimmer can have eighth billing, after Spike, in her breakout role.

On it's own, I would be fine with this commercial, and even a Twilight-focused S5. But after EG2, I'm feeling a lot more cynical about why Princess Stagehog is the focus of the commercial.

Yeah, where Twilight was needed for EQG 1, EQG 2 would have been much better served as a Sunset Shimmers story. Maybe keep the magic book, but just have her get some pointers from Twilight, and then have Sunset work to become better friends with everyone. It's like the Crystal Empire, a story that should have been about someone else, shoehorned into a Twilight story, with Cadance just showing up in the last 5 minutes.

PaulloDEC

Yeah, me too, and agreed.

Just remember: It's just an ad.

Yeah, it's the Twilight Sparkle Show ad. You'd think an ad talking about her journey to being the Princess of Friendship might mention her doing things with her friends. I'm still holding out some hope in that comicon clip, where it seems to indicate the premier will actually allow the other 5 to have a meaningful role in those episodes again.

Honestly, what gets my attention most is that they don't say "Coming this spring to Discovery Family". The lack of station identification might be the most interesting thing about this ad.

I'm actually not worried about the show at all. I feel pretty confident it'll be the same mix of character stories as it's always been.

Cheerilee

Hasbro really wants an Optimus Prime of My Little Pony. They've complained about not having THE pony that everyone knows, unlike how when you think Transformers, it has to feature an Optimus Prime or some derivative of him in it somewhere. Looks like they're trying to set up Twilight Sparkle as that character.
If they're going to Optimus-ify Twilight, they're going to need fans to develop strong feelings towards her, not just keeping her exposure high.

Unless they're really going to go the Optimus route, and keep her exposure so high that we get used to her constant presence, and then have Discord suddenly kill her.

Yeah, where Twilight was needed for EQG 1, EQG 2 would have been much better served as a Sunset Shimmers story. Maybe keep the magic book, but just have her get some pointers from Twilight, and then have Sunset work to become better friends with everyone. It's like the Crystal Empire, a story that should have been about someone else, shoehorned into a Twilight story, with Cadance just showing up in the last 5 minutes.

EG1 - Hero Twilight vs Fallen Hero Sunset (Twilight wins)
EG2 - In Twilight's absence, Sunset becomes a New Hero, out of necessity (Sunset overcomes her demons and wins)
EG3 - Reformed Hero Sunset vs Evil Twilight (Sunset overcomes her character-defining first loss and wins, proving herself a true hero)
EG4 - Evil Sunset joins up with Evil Twilight to destroy Hero Sunset. The forces of evil appear to win, but Hero Twilight swoops in at the last second to save Hero Sunset, having broken the immense barrier preventing her from doing so earlier. Twilight wins due to teamwork with Sunset. Twilight is hailed as a hero without equal.

Then Discord kills Twilight in the MLP:FIM feature film.

Village

I don't usually agree with doc but, yeah that was too twilight-ey. Hopefully more adverts focus's on more people.

Hopefully this is my season where I get my adventure time like episode where I get the multiple adventures of background characters

If they're going to Optimus-ify Twilight, they're going to need fans to develop strong feelings towards her, not just keeping her exposure high.

I get that you guys don't like how Twilight gets so much focus, but it's a bit absurd to say that fans don't have strong feelings toward her, which I'm choosing to interpret as liking her as a character a lot.

And besides, this is an incredibly vague teaser that could mean anything that wasn't made by anyone on the show, presumably. We can extract absolutely nothing about season 5 from this besides the Spring start date and BUY OUR TOYS.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I get that you guys don't like how Twilight gets so much focus, but it's a bit absurd to say that fans don't have strong feelings toward her, which I'm choosing to interpret as liking her as a character a lot.

And besides, this is an incredibly vague teaser that could mean anything that wasn't made by anyone on the show, presumably. We can extract absolutely nothing about season 5 from this besides the Spring start date and BUY OUR TOYS.

I like Twilight just find when it's not the season opener and ending where the theme is just "Well, screw everyone else, lets just have Twilight do it".

I thought "Twilight Time" was pretty awesome.

Psxphile

Hasbro really wants an Optimus Prime of My Little Pony.
tumblr_mm2vfsA8HW1r3gwo9o1_500.png

Cheerilee

I said that I was fine with Twilight being the focus of S5 (if that's the way the writers want to go) and being the focus of merchandising. I just didn't like her in EG2, because I don't think she fit there, and it's not even the most effective use of her character.

And I specifically didn't use the teaser to draw conclusions on S5. I said that EG2 made me see the teaser in a new light. And EG2 (not the teaser) suggests to me that Twilight is going to have a heavy role in S5, whether the writers want her to or not (but they probably do, so no harm done).

For the record, Twilight was probably my favorite character in S1/S2, I thought S3 had a dip in quality, and the writers obviously rushed to the end of Twilight's character arc (because they thought they were going to get cancelled). I was worried that Twilight was going to jump the shark in S4, but the writers managed not to let that happen, but I'm still worried that Twilight has become a harder character to write for, and I think the smart thing to do would be to back off of her a little, and focus more on the rest of the mane six, or better yet, a substitute, like Sunset Shimmer or Cadence (or my pet theory, recruit Trixie). But the show has been going out of it's way to avoid substitutes like Sunset or Cadence, not when Twilight can take their place.

I like Twilight, but if Hasbro wants Twilight to reach the "iconic" level of Optimus Prime, they're going to have to make grown men weep, and I just don't see that happening with Twilight's current path. If they want that to happen, they're going to have to focus on quality over quantity. If the writers try to force Twilight into 26 episodes next season, they're going to burn her out. If they mostly sideline her, but put her into a few amazing episodes, that would be better.

After so much fanwork has been made, it takes a lot to get me, but somehow, these hit me right in the heart, particularly the Twilight one.

Just rewatched "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils", "Leap of Faith", and "Inspiration Manifestation". All were good episodes, with the latter two being better than I remembered. The dream scenes were even better than I remembered in the first episode. Flim and Flam were just great in their episode. The last episode still should have gone further with Rarity's creations than it did and it was odd to have Rarity forget what she did only for Spike to tell her, but it was still a lot of fun, and I still love the ending scene with Twilight.

Cheerilee

Since I posted a "Barbie" thing in this thread recently, here's another.

http://gizmodo.com/barbie-f-cks-it-up-again-1660326671

Gizmodo looks at Barbie's "I can be a Computer Engineer".

Barbie comes up with an idea for a videogame (just the idea, she can't implement it by herself, that's what boys are for). Then Barbie breaks her own computer. Barbie also breaks Skipper's computer, destroying her homework. Barbie turns to boys for help. Boys say "Barbie, please stop breaking things, let us take care of this" and fix both computers, as well as program Barbie's game for her. Barbie: "I'm so good at computer."

Personally, I think it's awesome.

PaulloDEC

Since I posted a "Barbie" thing in this thread recently, here's another.

http://gizmodo.com/barbie-f-cks-it-up-again-1660326671

Gizmodo looks at Barbie's "I can be a Computer Engineer".

Barbie comes up with an idea for a videogame (just the idea, she can't implement it by herself, that's what boys are for). Then Barbie breaks her own computer. Barbie also breaks Skipper's computer, destroying her homework. Barbie turns to boys for help. Boys say "Barbie, please stop breaking things, let us take care of this" and fix both computers, as well as program Barbie's game for her. Barbie: "I'm so good at computer."

Personally, I think it's awesome.

Holy crap, are we sure this isn't satire? That's incredible. I especially like the part at the end where it states that "Barbie's terrific computer skills have saved the day for both sisters!"

What? Did we read the same book?

Still don't like Dougworld Dash's design, but I suppose that's well done. The Sonata plushie is pretty adorable; I think I'll take back what I said earlier about the pony Dazzling designs looking off, for Sonata at least. Speaking of which, I just realized that it's kind of a waste that she got the name "Dusk" instead of another dark reflection of Twilight.

Anyway, comic previews:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #28
(W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Sara Richard
Cover
“The Root of the Problem” Part 2! Twilight and friends journey to the heart of Everfree Forest to find out what has been causing its inhabitants to flee. What they find can only mean trouble for Ponyville!

My Little Pony Friends Forever #14
(W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
Cover A
Subscription cover
When a dragon problem in Fillydelphia threatens to get out of hand, Luna enlists Spike’s help to find a peaceful solution. There are many suspects and no easy answers as both Spike and Luna must admit to personal shortcomings in order to find the true culprit.

My comments:
Now the big question is, should we post the #28 cover in the next SpiderGAF thread? That's pretty horrifying, in a neat way. The story itself still sounds like the second half of "Princess Twilight Sparkle", and like I said before, hopefully it will have a different hook. For the second issue, we have yet another unexpected but interesting team up. I forget, will this be the first time we see Fillydelphia?

Also, that feeling when you realize that even though these issues come out in March, they very well may come out before season 5 starts.

Just read issue #25. First of all, how odd for Comixology to make the primary cover the one that has nothing to do with the story.

The story was pretty fun, outside of the huge issue of Twilight just straight up refusing to use her magic against the Cattle Rustlers arbitrarily. Making up an excuse for her to be absent would have been a lot less frustrating, IMO. At least in Star Trek, the prime directive is an established thing and they usually find a way to work around it. Still, Twilight did have fun moments like that lame joke she told, which is saved by the panel of her giggling to herself afterward. If I remember correctly, the Cattle Rustler leader wasn't present in the Friends Forever Rarity/Applejack issue, which explains why they are so much tougher this time around. The "intense expressions" art was all pretty good, and I'm reminded of those moments in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where Scrooge got angry.

It was interesting that we got three different pieces of extra content. The tumbleweed story and Spike's cosplay were cute. The Zecora story had really neat art.

PaulloDEC

Just read issue #25. First of all, how odd for Comixology to make the primary cover the one that has nothing to do with the story.

The story was pretty fun, outside of the huge issue of Twilight just straight up refusing to use her magic against the Cattle Rustlers arbitrarily. Making up an excuse for her to be absent would have been a lot less frustrating, IMO. At least in Star Trek, the prime directive is an established thing and they usually find a way to work around it. Still, Twilight did have fun moments like that lame joke she told, which is saved by the panel of her giggling to herself afterward. If I remember correctly, the Cattle Rustler leader wasn't present in the Friends Forever Rarity/Applejack issue, which explains why they are so much tougher this time around. The "intense expressions" art was all pretty good, and I'm reminded of those moments in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where Scrooge got angry.

It was interesting that we got three different pieces of extra content. The tumbleweed story and Spike's cosplay were cute. The Zecora story had really neat art.

I enjoyed it too, though I'd agree regarding Twilight. I mean, no-one is asking you to hurt them Twi, just put them in a magic cage or something.

The little mini-stories at the end were neat, and as you mentioned the Zecora story had some stunning art. Actually reminded me a little of the Arkham Asylum comic in how impressionistic it was.

That looks nothing like a Siren. Looks like a pony.

Something something alternate universe something.

It looks like the MLP comics will be getting a Humble Bundle (scroll to the bottom)
PI2DZcU.jpg

I don't recognize this image. It seems like it may be from issue #25, if it's not original.

Also, since IDW often does crossovers, I realized that one crossover I'd really like to see is MLP and Magic the Gathering. Not a character crossover, mind, but a story where the Main Six play a game of Commander using Magic cards. The general story would involve everyone getting frustrated with each other as everyone does something to slow down the game, cause confusion, make things unfun, or otherwise mess things up. And there is no lesson. Anyway, I've actually thought of basic ideas for their decks and play styles, with the colors largely based on what colors their personalities fit into.

Twilight - green/blue/red (Temur) - I've previously assigned Twiight as red/blue, but I've come to think that green as a pretty big part of her, as it is the color of destiny and finding your place. Anyway, she would use a commander like Surrak Dragonclaw, reasoning that he wouldn't have the perception of being unfair like some other commanders in these colors, and in any case, she really just wants to be in these colors to best use morph creatures.

Rainbow - red/white (Boros) - I imagine she'd run Iroas, God of Victory, because she can't lose with the God of Victory. She'd do nothing but attack everyone and get confused when they gang up on her.

Applejack - green - I'm not sure if it's the best fit, but Yisan, the Wanderer Bard somehow seems like the type of commander Applejack would use. She'd fill her library with "toolkit" creature cards, having something for every circumstance, and she'd need Twilight to shuffle her library for her.

Pinkie - red - I was kind of surprised to see that there wasn't a red commander with a super obnoxious random effect, so I'll say that she'd run Chandler, just because she thinks it's funny. Anyway, she runs all of the super obnoxious red random effects, and thus becomes the next target for everyone after Rainbow. It just takes a lot longer.

Rarity - blue/black/red (Grixis) - I previously assigned Rarity as red/blue, but I said then that she had a large black aspect, and here it is. It was hard to choose a commander, because while a card like Marchesa, the Black Rose seemed to fit Rarity in character, I felt like Rarity would be more inclined to play a political game with Nekusar, the Mindrazer. Because of his effect, by the time Pinkie gets defeated, all of her mass draw effects got everyone pretty drained, so the rest of the game goes quickly.

Fluttershy - green/white (Selesnya) - I feel like she'd run a commander like Emmara Tandris, oblivious to the fact that everyone thinks that card is rubbish. And for precisely that reason, she ends up being the last one standing. Anyway, lots of creature tokens and group boosting effects make up her deck.

PaulloDEC

Possible reference in Sonic Boom

The colors of three of them are suspicious, at least.

A line of toys have the CMC with cutie marks, but it may mean nothing because the cutie marks are the same as those from a cookbook from two years ago.

EDIT: Also, Andy Price art from Australia:

Neat art from Andy as usual. He and Katie will be around at the convention I'm checking out in Brisbane next week, might have to pay them a visit.

Unrelated, but has anyone checked out this tumblr before? I guess it's themed around Rarity/Applejack shipping, but damn if the art isn't cute as hell.

Looks like those who theorized we might get a S5 teaser video for each character were on the right track:

Fluttershy

Well, at least the transition from teaser to direct toy promotion wasn't as awkward, since this teaser wasn't nearly as "epic".

Japan are making pony games now. Good luck trying to C&D them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2rH6gQpHec

I like how "American Kirby is Hardcore" has been reversed in this case, with super intense Twilight. The graphics look really nice, and the ability to combine teleporting and energy blasts is neat.

Personally, my ideal official game would be an RPG, with gameplay similar to Bravely Default mixed with the Mario RPGs' timed hits, and less character customization (more abilities unique to characters) to make it easier for beginner players, with a relatively low number of cutscenes but a lot of optional conversations.

Well, at least the transition from teaser to direct toy promotion wasn't as awkward, since this teaser wasn't nearly as "epic".

I like how "American Kirby is Hardcore" has been reversed in this case, with super intense Twilight. The graphics look really nice, and the ability to combine teleporting and energy blasts is neat.

Personally, my ideal official game would be an RPG, with gameplay similar to Bravely Default mixed with the Mario RPGs' timed hits, and less character customization (more abilities unique to characters) to make it easier for beginner players, with a relatively low number of cutscenes but a lot of optional conversations.

I agree that the beginner-friendly RPG format seems most suitable for Ponies. It's a somewhat dialogue-heavy show with a lot of adventure elements, but not necessarily action-packed. It could go very well as a proper RPG. Of course, Hasbro....

Isn't there some game or life sim out there already with MLP-like ponies as the playable characters?

PaulloDEC

I like how these season 5 teasers actually contain no season 5 stuff other than a picture of the thrones.

That's the kind of thing I've come to expect from teasers, really. The air-date being so far away might mean they're a long way from being finished anyway.

Japan are making pony games now. Good luck trying to C&D them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2rH6gQpHec

Looks pretty neat!

That makes sense, I think. A combat-heavy design probably isn't super ideal for ponies, but being an RPG means you could include a lot of other activities that aren't directly related to flank-kicking.

Top Bottom