• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Cheerilee

PSA: The Last Roundup is an amazing episode, and everyone should rewatch it as soon as possible.

HBlb.gif

Weaponized Pinkie commands it.

Having just recently watched the Second Opinion's review of that episode, I have to agree with him that the episode is great buildup with no payoff.

As soon as the episode begins, you can tell that Applejack didn't win any money, but Applejack's reactions suggest that there's significantly more to it than that. But then it turns out that no, there's nothing more to it than that. They could have done anything to ramp up the stakes, but they did nothing. It undermines an otherwise-great episode.

draetenth

Having just recently watched the Second Opinion's review of that episode, I have to agree with him that the episode is great buildup with no payoff.

As soon as the episode begins, you can tell that Applejack didn't win any money, but Applejack's reactions suggest that there's significantly more to it than that. But then it turns out that no, there's nothing more to it than that. They could have done anything to ramp up the stakes, but they did nothing. It undermines an otherwise-great episode.

^ Count me in as someone who agrees with this as well. However, it does get huge props from me for the "I Love Lucy" reference. One of my favorite shows does a nod to one of my favorite scenes from another one of my favorite shows is a win.

Too bad the whole Derpy thing had to blow up. I didn't think they needed to actually add Derpy, but I didn't really have a problem with the way she acted. As someone who watched some of the older MLP, Derpy just reminded me of Minty who was also a clumsy pony. They are both even voiced by Tabitha St. Germain!

The whole Derpy-gate just served to further take attention away from Applejack.

PaulloDEC

I'm with Sigma on this one, I found the payoff to be really satisfying. AKR tends to be pretty great in that area as far as I'm concerned.

I was lucky to be not particularly aware of all the Derpy controversy when I first saw the episode, so that never distracted me from the story.

Japanese distributor Bushiroad is pulling their MLP stuff, so unfortunately, it looks like season 3 and beyond won't be officially released there. I had heard back when the show was airing there that merchandise sales were nothing compared to titans like Pretty Cure, but still, this is disappointing.

Daniel Ingram is teasing another Pinkie Pie song that appears to be about the things she likes. I'm inclined to thing this is another "Smile"-like song, but it may just be a short one like those in season 1.

Speaking of season 1, there was apparently an interview with Lauren Faust recently where, among other things, she said that Twilight was based on her mother and Fluttershy on herself; that Rarity is the character she is most proud of; and that Rarity is the one that Hasbro expressed the most concern with, since they just wanted a character who would dress fashionably and weren't sure if a designer would fulfill their goals. The interview isn't online yet and the only source of more information than that is 4chan right now.

Cheerilee

^ Count me in as someone who agrees with this as well. However, it does get huge props from me for the "I Love Lucy" reference. One of my favorite shows does a nod to one of my favorite scenes from another one of my favorite shows is a win.

Pinkie: Raritycatchme!
Rarity: What?
Twilight: Rainbow Dash, we have to turn back! Pinkie Pie just killed Rarity!
Rainbow: They knew what they were getting into.

On top of the Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy teamwork to power their race-kart. It really is quite great.

Interesting new book on the horizon:

Source (Page 15)

Hey, now that I've already started buying books with Journal of the Two Sisters, I may just end up getting this. There's a contest by We Love Fine with this as a prize, by the way; do these contests usually last long enough that prizes wouldn't be given out until over half a year later? Anyway, the fact that it's being released in Fall yet will have season 5 art does make it seem like season 5 will be airing without a long break, contrary to what I suspected.

Also, the above picture is nice.

PaulloDEC

Love the colours on this one. Very pretty.

Hey, now that I've already started buying books with Journal of the Two Sisters, I may just end up getting this. There's a contest by We Love Fine with this as a prize, by the way; do these contests usually last long enough that prizes wouldn't be given out until over half a year later? Anyway, the fact that it's being released in Fall yet will have season 5 art does make it seem like season 5 will be airing without a long break, contrary to what I suspected.

This will definitely be a buy for me. I don't really do collectible type stuff anymore, but books like this or the Journal I allow myself.

As for the contest, the only thing I'll add is that the website shows 30 more days for submissions and 62 days for rating, which takes us to just after mid-March.

Cheerilee

USA Today actually wrote an article about how Hasbro's kids shows are leaving Netflix. DTV movies like Equestria Girls are remaining up. However, the MLP Facebook page posted that they are working to keep the shows on Netflix, so there may be some hope.

Technically, Hasbro isn't "working hard" to get their shows back up on Netflix, because anyone would love to host Hasbro's shows, but Hasbro (rightly) expects to get paid for that.

Netflix didn't kick out Hasbro's shows because their contract ended, Hasbro pulled their shows from Netflix because the contract ended (well, technically technically Netflix really did remove the shows from their system, but only because Hasbro would have sued if they didn't).

Hasbro is going to work hard to get as much money for their shows as they think they can get. Once that happens, the streaming will be allowed to continue.

Nickelodeon's Netflix contract expired because Neflix wasn't willing to pay what Nick demanded/Nick wasn't willing to accept what Netflix offered. So Nick walked to Amazon Prime.

Netflix apparently "pushed hard" to get a deal done with Dreamworks.

Hasbro's contract expired, and Netflix apparently said "We don't need Hasbro, because at least we've got Dreamworks. Maybe if Hasbro's price was lower..." Netflix is apparently serious about that attitude, because the contract expired, and wasn't renewed. Netflix is willing to let Hasbro walk away. Now Hasbro is going to have to shop around with Netflix's alternatives, and if that doesn't result in Hasbro moving to a new streaming service like Nick did, they can go back to knocking on Netflix's door, but then Hasbro will take a beating at the negotiating table, because Netflix will know that Hasbro didn't manage to get a deal done with anyone else.

Technically, Hasbro isn't "working hard" to get their shows back up on Netflix, because anyone would love to host Hasbro's shows, but Hasbro (rightly) expects to get paid for that.

Netflix didn't kick out Hasbro's shows because their contract ended, Hasbro pulled their shows from Netflix because the contract ended (well, technically technically Netflix really did remove the shows from their system, but only because Hasbro would have sued if they didn't).

Hasbro is going to work hard to get as much money for their shows as they think they can get. Once that happens, the streaming will be allowed to continue.

Nickelodeon's Netflix contract expired because Neflix wasn't willing to pay what Nick demanded/Nick wasn't willing to accept what Netflix offered. So Nick walked to Amazon Prime.

Netflix apparently "pushed hard" to get a deal done with Dreamworks.

Hasbro's contract expired, and Netflix apparently said "We don't need Hasbro, because at least we've got Dreamworks. Maybe if Hasbro's price was lower..." Netflix is apparently serious about that attitude, because the contract expired, and wasn't renewed. Netflix is willing to let Hasbro walk away. Now Hasbro is going to have to shop around with Netflix's alternatives, and if that doesn't result in Hasbro moving to a new streaming service like Nick did, they can go back to knocking on Netflix's door, but then Hasbro will take a beating at the negotiating table, because Netflix will know that Hasbro didn't manage to get a deal done with anyone else.
great stuff as always, but

... is there going to be a test on this later?

Incidentally, it seems like Littlest Pet Shop season 4 has been confirmed. Though I watch it, I still just find that show OK at best, but it's good for non-MLP Hasbro stuff to do well.

So, uh, Equestria Daily launched an anime focused spinoff site called Desu Daily... probably not going to use it.

More importantly, comic news! Amazon listings reveals that IDW is doing a villains miniseries, with five issues on King Sombra, Tirek, the Sirens, Nightmare Moon, and Queen Chrysalis. Well, it's listed as a collection, and maybe it is actually being released all together, but that seems a bit odd. This could potentially be pretty interesting. Having Nightmare Moon is surprising, since as far as we know, Luna was only Nightmare Moon for a fairly short amount of time. I suppose there are three options: Luna was Nightmare Moon more discretely before confronting Celestia; the story will be about when Luna was sealed on the moon; or the story will be about the "Nightmare Force" separate from Luna. Concerning the Sirens, I do think I might check that out even if it largely takes place in Dougworld, but I'll definitely be checking out reactions to it first.

PaulloDEC

More importantly, comic news! Amazon listings reveals that IDW is doing a villains miniseries, with five issues on King Sombra, Tirek, the Sirens, Nightmare Moon, and Queen Chrysalis. Well, it's listed as a collection, and maybe it is actually being released all together, but that seems a bit odd. This could potentially be pretty interesting. Having Nightmare Moon is surprising, since as far as we know, Luna was only Nightmare Moon for a fairly short amount of time. I suppose there are three options: Luna was Nightmare Moon more discretely before confronting Celestia; the story will be about when Luna was sealed on the moon; or the story will be about the "Nightmare Force" separate from Luna. Concerning the Sirens, I do think I might check that out even if it largely takes place in Dougworld, but I'll definitely be checking out reacts to it first.

Sounds really cool! Definitely would like to get some background on Sombra, and I'll be interested to see how the handle the Nightmare Moon questions you raised.

Other pieces of teaser art for the seemingly now confirmed villain comic stories:

And, supposed details about Equestria Girls 3, which will apparently be called Friendship Games; or at least, that's the name of the toy tie-in. I guess those complaining about the lack of games in "Equestria Games" are getting their wish, sort of, though humans playing sports are automatically less novel. The story supposedly involves
the Wonderbolts (probably actually the Wonder Colts, the school team) facing the Shadow Colts in a series of sporting events, including hockey. It's kind of odd that we're getting two competitions in a row.
I do agree with the one who posted about this, that it's odd that the merchandise isn't more sporty, given the subject.

Oh hey, the comics have officially been announced. It turns out that one issue will be released each week in April, which explains how the collected version can be available as early as it is listed. Details are sparse, other than confirmation that the Sombra, Tirek, and Siren stories are origin stories; the Nightmare Moon story takes place while Luna was sealed on the moon; and the Chrysalis story seemingly takes place after the first comic arc, with her still trapped where she was left at the end of that.

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #1 Sombra
(W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Brenda Hickey (CA) Amy Mebberson
The first My Little Pony mini-series event! This month-long weekly limited series explores the secret origins of the Equestria’s greatest villains!
What caused Sombra to become one of the most feared ponies in Equestria’s history?

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #2 Tirek
(W) Christina Rice (A) Tony Fleecs (CA) Amy Mebberson
The first My Little Pony mini-series event! This month-long weekly limited series explores the secret origins of the Equestria’s greatest villains!
Tirek’s mad quest for power starts here!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #3 Sirens
(W) Ted Anderson (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
The Sirens from Rainbow Rocks Equestria origin revealed!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #4 Nightmare Moon
(W) Heather Nuhfer (A) Tony Fleecs (CA) Amy Mebberson
The untold story of what Nightmare Moon did during her time on the moon!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #5 Queen Chrysalis
(W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Amy Mebberson
The ponies visit the imprisoned Chrysalis… what secrets is she hiding!

Also, Day of the Dead themed alternate art for the ponies... for some reason; it looks nice, though. It's kind of surprising to see Twilight be left out of a cycle of art, but I suppose it's good that she's being left out instead of Applejack for once.

PaulloDEC

The villain covers are pretty cool, but those day of the dead ones are just fantastic. I'm not sure which artist does those pieces, but I love their style.

It turns out that there's another alternate cover for the first issue, and that's where Twilight is. There goes my idea for a secret sixth issue about the season 5 premiere villain, which was based solely on the alternate art cycle being incomplete.

Speaking of Twilight, I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me, but the Equestria Girls Friendship Games packaging depicts Twilight with glasses, albeit ones that were clearly just pasted onto her existing art. So, I guess that means they are actually committed to using Dougworld Twilight, so perhaps the third movie won't cross over into pony land at all this time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've never had an issue with Fleecs' art. Maybe that first one he did for the Rainbow Dahs Micro, but I can give an artist a pass for their first outing.

$200

Banned
I've never had an issue with Fleecs' art. Maybe that first one he did for the Rainbow Dahs Micro, but I can give an artist a pass for their first outing.
It's not just the art. I've been re-reading some of the older micros and FF issues...and I don't see one made made by him that's good. The better ones he made were ok at best (CMC + Discord). Fluttershy micro was a lot worse than I remembered. Which ones do you actually like?

PaulloDEC

It's not just the art. I've been re-reading some of the older micros and FF issues...and I don't see one made made by him that's good. The better ones he made were ok at best (CMC + Discord). Fluttershy micro was a lot worse than I remembered. Which ones do you actually like?

He doesn't write though, does he? As in, if the issues suck for reasons other than art, it's probably just poor luck that he got matched with crappy stories?

As more Friendship Games art pops up, it's starting to become clear that a major influence is actually Hunger Games of all things, due to the consistent presence of bows. I'm sure there's going to be a segment involving archery, but they couldn't be intending to even approach the plot of the books/movies, could they? Also, the new character just looks like an existing background character, so I'm not sure if she's new.

Original art for the alternate FIENDship is Magic covers on sale, though they're $600 each.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As more Friendship Games art pops up, it's starting to become clear that a major influence is actually Hunger Games of all things, due to the consistent presence of bows. I'm sure there's going to be a segment involving archery, but they couldn't be intending to even approach the plot of the books/movies, could they? Also, the new character just looks like an existing background character, so I'm not sure if she's new.

Original art for the alternate FIENDship is Magic covers on sale, though they're $600 each.

Bows are a popular weapon, I doubt it's Hunger Games inspired. I doubt Hasbro would go for anything that dark.

Bows are a popular weapon, I doubt it's Hunger Games inspired. I doubt Hasbro would go for anything that dark.

Nerf Rebelle's success with bows and arrows aimed at girls is generally acknowledged as being due in a large part to the popularity of The Hunger Games, and Nerf is a Hasbro property. I would imagine they pushed bows in the first place knowing this.

In fangame news, the demo for HorseGame has been released (trailer at the link). Not going to play, but it looks decent.

And Legends of Equestra has started an open server weekend, with the game available for download. There was a server attack, but it's back up now.

Though really, that news is just an excuse to post a random musing. A lot of people are saying that in Equestria Girls 3, they'd like Dougworld Twilight to be an antagonist. However, given that she's pretty much inevitably going to turn good, how would you react if the method by which she turned good largely involved falling in love with Brad, and a decent focus of the movie was that? Complete with her acting tsundere to him.

I feel it would be a bit painful to watch, but I'd be OK with it as long as it wasn't "our" Twilight that fell in love with him. Dougworld Twilight and Brad could be together, and hopefully Ponyland Twilight stays away from Flash Sentry. Or even better, there's an episode where Twilight decides to date Flash, but then quickly finds that their relationship isn't working and the episode is about her coming to realize that it's OK to break up with him.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and new Build a Bear plushies for Luna, Cadence, and Shining Armor

EDIT: Huh, speak of the devil concerning Brad. Among the new Friendship Games toys revealed by Amazon listings is a set pairing Twilight and Flash Sentry. Also, there is indeed a Nerf Rebelle tie-in. Also, it looks like in addition to archery and hockey, motocross will be one of the events.

PaulloDEC

In fangame news, the demo for HorseGame has been released (trailer at the link). Not going to play, but it looks decent.

The preview video of this looked really impressive. I'll definitely be checking it out.

And Legends of Equestra has started an open server weekend, with the game available for download. There was a server attack, but it's back up now.

I'm tempted to check this out sometime too. I'm not really interested in MMOs, but I like seeing what fans are able to achieve in the video game space.

Though really, that news is just an excuse to post a random musing. A lot of people are saying that in Equestria Girls 3, they'd like Dougworld Twilight to be an antagonist. However, given that she's pretty much inevitably going to turn good, how would you react if the method by which she turned good largely involved falling in love with Brad, and a decent focus of the movie was that? Complete with her acting tsundere to him.

I feel it would be a bit painful to watch, but I'd be OK with it as long as it wasn't "our" Twilight that fell in love with him. Dougworld Twilight and Brad could be together, and hopefully Ponyland Twilight stays away from Flash Sentry. Or even better, there's an episode where Twilight decides to date Flash, but then quickly finds that their relationship isn't working and the episode is about her coming to realize that it's OK to break up with him.

I think any solution to a problem that involved Flash would be kinda weird, primarily because Flash is barely a character at this point. I'd want to see him developed significantly if they were going to use him in an important role in the film. Who is this guy, besides your typical dreamboat guitarist high-schooler?

As for romance back in Equestria, I suspect that isn't something we'll ever see with the Mane 6, perhaps outside of Rarity. I think Hasbro will rightly be treading carefully in regards to that topic. I'm not personally opposed to the idea in theory, and a story where that subverts our expectations re: Twilight and Flash by having them just not be good for one another could be interesting.

EDIT: Huh, speak of the devil concerning Brad. Among the new Friendship Games toys revealed by Amazon listings is a set pairing Twilight and Flash Sentry. Also, there is indeed a Nerf Rebelle tie-in. Also, it looks like in addition to archery and hockey, motocross will be one of the events.

This is interesting stuff. The Rebelle crossover makes sense, though I can't say I saw the motorcross stuff coming. Film ought to be an interesting one.

$200

Banned
Making science Twilight evil and staying evil (even as a recurring villain) would be so cool. Never gonna happen though.

B7zJ05wCQAQeB0w.png

I don't see how Dougworld Twilight could be made as a recurring villain without it being like, "Twilight aggressively rejects friendship and thinks magic is Satanic," or something.

Anyway, speaking of Equestria Girls, here's some bootlegs,

And, someone else on Channel Awesome is covering MLP now. Not too interesting yet, but at least it seems unlikely that she'll suddenly gain an absolute hatred of everything related the series after Lauren Faust left and start posting antagonistic tweets addressed to the fans, like CR did.

Cheerilee

I don't see how Dougworld Twilight could be made as a recurring villain without it being like, "Twilight aggressively rejects friendship and thinks magic is Satanic," or something.

NRI3jC2.jpg

Science and magic don't usually mix well together.
Neither do science and religion.
Or magic and religion.

Top Bottom