• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

I'm always shocked how friendly bronies are. I spent the weekend at Denver Comic Con and I got high fives, fist bumps and compliments just for wearing a pony shirt. Any other pop culture shirt and nobody would give you a second glance but bronies are different. I really don't get it.

Hey, friendship is magic.

UHHHHH
CIN_Expo_0515_IMG42.jpg

I suppose at least she looks happy about her situation.

Game on Steam called Dev Guy has a bunch of pony references

BDGAME

Hello again. Today I present the first models of the characters of this story I create.'

It's a little rough but give a idea how the characters will look.

7EypE7I.png

Right now, what I can't decide is the Earth Quake's colors. Now I will start to draw some of the places the story will occurs.

That was really well done! It's kind of odd to have to think of "Lullaby for a Princess" as a finished product now, as opposed to forever being an animatic.

It also makes me hope they do something to retcon Nightmare Moon a thousand years ago in the show as being a bigger event than what was portrayed in "Princess Twilight Sparkle". Like maybe reveal that Luna had been frightening people in their dreams as Nightmare Moon, including Celestia, for some time before that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The comics revealed that Luna didn't know how to dreamwalk prior to her banishment. And even if you don't count the comics, it really would make no sense at all. It would make Luna seem really petty to feel unappreciated when she's been engaging the citizens at night all that time.

But yeah, the show very much blew their chance to show Equestria history in that episode.

Psxphile

Twilight is getting a twenty-sided die! among other things. Also, she's creepily staring at herself with Owloysius. And the choice of characters for normal die is... odd. I didn't find a source for this, though.

Looks fanmade (all those weird little errors). Someone's idea of merchandice humour ("Friendship is Magic the Coloring Book! Friendship is Magic the Lunchbox!")?

heh

Cheerilee

Looks fanmade (all those weird little errors). Someone's idea of merchandice humour ("Friendship is Magic the Coloring Book! Friendship is Magic the Lunchbox!")?

heh
https://www.facebook.com/Enterplayllc
https://www.facebook.com/Enterplayllc/posts/878982775530073

What the heck!? This is an early look at something at the end of summer. Artwork is not final and just digital renderings - FPO

It's presumably related to the MLP:FIM collectible card game they're making.

Just read Friends Forever #17, about Twilight and Big Mac, and I liked it a lot. Twilight was incredibly adorable here, including her expression when Big Mac's intellectual side hits on her, and Big Mac was pretty cute too. The covers and synopsis made it seem like Twilight would go crazy, and I'm glad she didn't really in this story.

That Castles of Equestria pop-up book was released. I wasn't too impressed by the previous preview, but it turns out there's stuff on both sides. Also, I guess we have canon designs for the real Chancellor Puddinghead and Smart Cookie (and the other "Hearth's Warming Eve" characters?), and maybe perhaps previews of future characters.

Also, new ambitious fan project. I'm guessing well before they get C&D'd, the team members will get burned out and it will go into development hell before they ultimately drop the entire thing.

PaulloDEC

That Castles of Equestria pop-up book was released. I wasn't too impressed by the previous preview, but it turns out there's stuff on both sides. Also, I guess we have canon designs for the real Chancellor Puddinghead and Smart Cookie (and the other "Hearth's Warming Eve" characters?), and maybe perhaps previews of future characters.

Also, new ambitious fan project. I'm guessing well before they get C&D'd, the team members will get burned out and it will go into development hell before they ultimately drop the entire thing.

The pop-up book looks really cool, and the fact that they're including not only the characters from Hearths Warming, but also acknowledging that they didn't actually look like the Mane 6 is pretty awesome. Not the kind of dedication to the lore that I'd expect from a pop-up book.

As for the new animation project... well, yeah. It's nice that people go into this stuff with enthusiasm, but it seems like they might be aiming kinda high.

brian577

Banned
Major promotion for Meghan McCarthy.
http://deadline.com/2015/06/my-little-pony-meghan-mccarthy-hasbro-head-of-storytelling-1201437791/

Hasbro has named Meghan McCarthy as Head of Storytelling for the company’s Girl brands. In her new position, effective immediately, McCarthy will drive a multi-year strategy, developing deep story and characters across the company’s portfolio of brands, including My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Show. She also will work with film producers on the upcoming My Little Pony animated feature film currently slated for release in 2017. She will be based in Hasbros Studios’ Los Angeles office, reporting to Stephen Davis, EVP, Chief Content Officer.

Village

I hope it works out for the workers and franchices.

While I have some stern critcicism on parts of this franchise, I appropriate its design and story telling on being able to attract a whole slew of viewers never imagined. ( I mean it could do more but that's another discussion ). Point is, i'm glad its doing well , and this show is reflective of a greater trend I am fond of , that i a glad is catching on in more modern media. Hope thief future ventures work out well... or rather are of quality. And I hope other companies take notice.

PaulloDEC

All very interesting. The way the article describe her new position:

...McCarthy will drive a multi-year strategy, developing deep story and characters across the company’s portfolio of brands

...makes it sounds like her new role will be kind of a broad-strokes thing, though I suppose it doesn't really rule out writing duties of some kind. I imagine it's probably a given that she's still going to be involved with the film script.

As the Doc said, it'd be great if Larson was given the opportunity to step up to head writer as a result of Meghan's promotion. If there's any writer I'd trust to take on that role, it'd be him.

Cheerilee

Huh, that sounds quite impressive. MLP is really doing good things for crew members.

Unless you drag one of Hasbro's franchises out of the literal dumpster and shock the world by turning it into a flagship brand, and then refuse to be told one year later that Marketing can tell a better story than you can.

The series, currently in its fifth season, airs on Discovery Family Channel in the U.S., on leading networks in more than 180 territories globally
Not Canada, LOL.

Still on Treehouse, the channel for toddlers. YTV had to make a special exception and bring in new hosts just to air Equestria Girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VPzeVkYEA

Unless you drag one of Hasbro's franchises out of the literal dumpster and shock the world by turning it into a flagship brand, and then refuse to be told one year later that Marketing can tell a better story than you can.

OK, it's doing good things for the crew now.

Couldn't watch that video you posted for more than a few seconds.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I get the impression that her job will now be to hand down the toy mandates, rather than figure out what to do with the toy mandates once they've been made. If so that could be really good having someone looking at better synchronizing the show and the merchandising who has worked with the show.

This is a little late, but here is my recap of Phoenix Comicon which happened this past weekend. First off, pony was definitely not as prevalent this year as it has been in the past. Hardly saw any shirts save a few Dr. Whooves here and there. Merchandise way down. Didn't see any knock off plushies anywhere, and saw very few toys. There was no Katie Cook this year, which was a huge blow for me, I always enjoy talking to her and getting her cool little water paintings she does. But, it wasn't all for naught. Amy Mebberson was there this year, so I of course sought her out. She was very cool, and we talked about her work with Disney and little bit about her career. I brought with me several comics which she was more than happy to sign and I even commissioned her to draw a custom cover and a few cards. Unlike Katie, I really didn't hit her up for too many details about future books and she wasn't quite as outgoing but I enjoyed meeting her nonetheless.

As for other pony stuff, I finally found a funko Rarity which completed my set of the mane six. I also got an Octavia to go with my Vinyl Scratch, as those two are my favorite background characters (Derpy is too godlike to be considered a background character). Other than that, I enjoyed myself but was bummed by the lack of Katie Cook and the lack of a huge Star Wars presence the con has had in the past. Hopefully they can get Andy Price and Katie Cook next year, but it seems pony is starting to wane in pop culture so I am not going to keep my fingers crossed.

ZJ7Ovmm.jpg

I am really happy with that Luna cover. Also, the third card is of Imperator Furiosa from Mad Max. That movie is cinematic perfection and Furiosa is the best action heroine since Ellen Ripley. It will be a long time before anyone can top Fury Road. If you haven't seen it, go see it.

Hi MLPGAF,

I don't know much about the fandom, but I have something you might be able to help me with. Perhaps this is the right place to ask?

My wife recently found her collection of old MLP toys from 80's and early 90's. As MLP seems to have some new following nowdays, we were wondering if people are interested in the older figures as well? Anyone here in GAF a collector or anything like that? Or is the fandom more about the newer stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Old MLP toys aren't in demand from fans of the new show, no. That said, I'm pretty sure there's been a collector scene for the old toys since well before FiM started, though I don't think anyone here could tell you how valuable your stash is.

Old MLP toys aren't in demand from fans of the new show, no. That said, I'm pretty sure there's been a collector scene for the old toys since well before FiM started, though I don't think anyone here could tell you how valuable your stash is.

Okay, thanks for the info! They hold sentimental value for my wife in any case, we were just curious.

We have a new European comic!

Is this the first one we've seen with Princess Twilight? I'm surprised that they succeeded in including her wings so consistently, except for that one panel on the last page. Still a lot of derp, though, including Rainbow Dash in the first panel and a lot of "lion Twilight".

And we have a poster for the movie, though it tells us nothing other than the fact that the movie won't use the "Friendship is Magic" subtitle, which is fair enough.

PaulloDEC

Andy Price has drawn the last minute of the life of Spike.

This is awesome. Kinda weird seeing all the characters wearing swimsuits though. Rarity and AJ look like pro wrestlers.

Is this the first one we've seen with Princess Twilight? I'm surprised that they succeeded in including her wings so consistently, except for that one panel on the last page. Still a lot of derp, though, including Rainbow Dash in the first panel and a lot of "lion Twilight".

And we have a poster for the movie, though it tells us nothing other than the fact that the movie won't use the "Friendship is Magic" subtitle, which is fair enough.

Is it just me finding that comic unintentionally hilarious? It's as if all the characters have been replaced by robots.

Interesting that they never refer to DJ Pon-3 as Vinyl Scratch. Also, if it's been raining for several days solid, shouldn't that be a problem the pegasi should be fixing?

Though I've been hearing decent things about Friendship is Magic issue #31, I just can't get myself to buy it.

I've been waiting for something newsworthy to pair this statement with because it feels like I'm wasting a post otherwise, but nothing has come up, so eh.

EDIT: Writing this post actually got me to buy it. It was OK, and I guess no one was out of character. I did notice that Filthy Rich was referred to as Stinking Rich and one point.

Top Bottom