• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

So it was brought up in the chat, and other places I've seen but here's the big question.

If becoming a hoarder causes Spike to age rapidly, is this a norm for Dragons? Or just a rare "mutation" of sorts.

I kinda thought of Skull Greymon of all things (or more relevant would be Luna turning into Nightmare Moon from her jealousy) in that is was just a negative mutation of sorts. But if that's the case, is there a "right" way for Dragons to age? Maybe they do just age super slowly?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Riches-hoarding dragons are a long-standing fantasy trope. Nothing spells LOOT quite like a dragon sleeping in the depths of a cavern.

Spike is the outlier here, being all friendly and generous and crap.

Orcastar

Riches-hoarding dragons are a long-standing fantasy trope. Nothing spells LOOT quite like a dragon sleeping in the depths of a cavern.

Spike is the outlier here, being all friendly and generous and crap.
Yeah, but maybe he's an outlier only because he's not allowed to hoard things. He doesn't really have any possessions of his own and only started getting greedy when the others started giving him things after all.

Maybe that's why dragons are used as assistants, to keep them from hoarding things and becoming destructive as a result of their greed. Then again we haven't seen any other baby dragons in the show besides Spike, so we don't know how common baby dragons are.

Anyway, the episode did a nice job of weaving the hoarding trope into the narrative.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
is it me or does zecora have more scenes than any other non-mane6 pony this season? she seems to have become a full on regular.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People hate on Mare Do Well because their beloved character got to eat humble pie. Surprise.

I didn't care for it for some of the same reasons I didn't like this episode and how Rarity acted at the start. The way the other 5 dealt with Dash wasn't very friendly.

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah, but maybe he's an outlier only because he's not allowed to hoard things. He doesn't really have any possessions of his own and only started getting greedy when the others started giving him things after all.

Maybe that's why dragons are used as assistants, to keep them from hoarding things and becoming destructive as a result of their greed. Then again we haven't seen any other baby dragons in the show besides Spike, so we don't know how common baby dragons are.

Anyway, the episode did a nice job of weaving the hoarding trope into the narrative.

Didn't Twilight accidentaly created Spike or something?

I loved this episode, and even if mare do well was not fantastic, I liked it. This start to middle of season blows out of the water the start-middle of the first one, I yet need to watch an episode i dont really like, and some of them are incredible, best stuff of the whole series.

I cant understand how theres any hate for the worst fucking possible episode ever. And it was at the beggining of the first season, episode 8 in fact. Look Before You Sleep has to be the most horrible, most girly, worst written episode (twilight not being twilight is just and example) and most boring of them all.
In fact, is the episode i have seen more times with episodes 1 and 2 (things like catching it on tv, showing the first episodes of the series to friends, etc..) and each time I watch it, I things it turns worse.
Feeling Pinkie Keen has some good moments and jokes.
Show Stoppers has the awesome final song.
Over the barrel i think is under rated, In fact I think is a very good episode and I love the far west setting.
Look Before You Sleep is simply horrible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I cant understand how theres any hate for the worst fucking possible episode ever. And it was at the beggining of the first season, episode 8 in fact. Look Before You Sleep has to be the most horrible, most girly, worst written episode (twilight not being twilight is just and example) and most boring of them all.
In fact, is the episode i have seen more times with episodes 1 and 2 (things like catching it on tv, showing the first episodes of the series to friends, etc..) and each time I watch it, I things it turns worse.
Over the barrel i think is under rated, In fact I think is a very good episode and I love the far west setting.

Lets be blunt, "Suited for Success" is by far the most girly episode, and we all love it.

What, specifically, seems to bother you about Look Before You Sleep? I thought it was a great episode. Twilight wasn't really the focus of the episode, just a conduit to get Rarity and Applejack together, but she was being Twilight 100% of the way. Trying to follow a book to the letter on how to conduct a slumber party? That is exactly her.

I mean, girly, fair enough, it's a slumber party. Is that what ultimately kills it for you?

Lets be blunt, "Suited for Success" is by far the most girly episode, and we all love it.

Suited for succes, was really fun and well written, even if its theme is supposed to be "girly"

What, specifically, seems to bother you about Look Before You Sleep? I thought it was a great episode. Twilight wasn't really the focus of the episode, just a conduit to get Rarity and Applejack together, but she was being Twilight 100% of the way. Trying to follow a book to the letter on how to conduct a slumber party? That is exactly her.

I mean, girly, fair enough, it's a slumber party. Is that what ultimately kills it for you?

Mostly, the premise of the episode is not fun, Rarity and Applejack fighting was good for a joke or two, but get stale after that. Twilight is not her, and I dont find the excuse of the following the book compelling (is the excuse I used for that episode in the first viewing, but after that Ive really seen she is just badly written), is written like a low caffeine Pinkie Pie, and im not the only one to say that. People that have watch the episode with me said me the same thing. Then all the episode turns boring and predictable.
As ive said, is the episode i most have watch, and the one that gets worse with every watch.
Other MLP episodes ive watched more than once I usually like them more with second viewings or stay the same.
Girly is not the big problem here (as I said, I fucking love suited for success, and is written even by the same person), the problem is that is the most boring and unfun episode of the series. Theres nothing in it reedemable, something that most of the mediocre episodes people state here as bad have.

blamite

I don't like Look Before You Sleep because it feels really really repetitive, like it was meant to be half as long or something. It also doesn't finish up that well, and focuses on (at the time) my bottom 3 of the mane 6. And there's only so much of twilight being a nerd that I can take before it gets too annoying. LBYS crossed that line (is there supposed to be a tree in my house? are we camping?), while an episode like Fall Weather Friends, for example, doesn't (reading books about running).

Look Before You Sleep isn't bad.

It's not great, but it doesn't actively offend me like Feeling Pinkie Keen and Mare Do Well.

Kind of like how The Cutie Pox isn't bad, it's just...there. And has a kind of simple plot and resolution, stretched out by "filler".

I'd say we should separate "mediocre" or "unmemorable" from "bad" in our episode opinions.

There are episodes where I say "eh, it's okay", vs ones where I say "ugh, I hate that one".

blamite

I should probably also mention that I like Feeling Pinky Keen, Don't have a problem with Over a Barrel, Like Show Stoppers, and really like Cutie Pox.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
feeling pinkie keen was a great episode in terms of animation but i think a lot of people have trouble with its message.

The best thing I can find from Look Before you sleep is the joke of Rarity and Applejack insulting each other because applejack invents a word, that is then used again but with applebloom and swettie belle in the first discord episode.

Look Before You Sleep isn't bad.

It's not great, but it doesn't actively offend me like Feeling Pinkie Keen and Mare Do Well.

Kind of like how The Cutie Pox isn't bad, it's just...there. And has a kind of simple plot and resolution, stretched out by "filler".

I'd say we should separate "mediocre" or "unmemorable" from "bad" in our episode opinions.

There are episodes where I say "eh, it's okay", vs ones where I say "ugh, I hate that one".

I can separate perfectly bad from mediocre. Look before you sleep is horrible.
The same as your opinion about felling pinkie keen and mare do well is that is bad, but for me are only mediocre and dont offend me in the slightlest (well, RD offends me in mare do well episode, but I find some fun things in that episode).

I should probably also mention that I like Feeling Pinky Keen, Don't have a problem with Over a Barrel, Like Show Stoppers, and really like Cutie Pox.

Exactly same here.

blamite

Also Twilight forgetting she can use magic.
130821089866.jpg

And this thing. It always sticks out when an episode has a big jump in technology that's never seen again. Mare Do Well had this too with the giant crane.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
how often is twilight going to be able to use her pony lie detector? she was probably happy to finally get it out of the closet.

PBalfredo

We do see Twilight playing around with a chemistry set in Griffon the Brush Off. But yeah, there is a lot of schizo tech (warning, TVtropes) in MLP.

Twilight does have a problem forgetting she can teleport when she actually needs to. I think the only time she ever used it a non-frivolous way was vs NMM in ep 2.

Zomba13

I quite liked this one. Mostly because we don't get much Spike focus and it did a nice thing with dragons. Kinda makes the whole loot hoarding thing make sense and is a pretty cool thing.
I think we need more of Spike wearing hats and wtf is up with Rarity not making a cape for Spike?

I quite liked this one. Mostly because we don't get much Spike focus and it did a nice thing with dragons. Kinda makes the whole loot hoarding thing make sense and is a pretty cool thing.
I think we need more of Spike wearing hats and wtf is up with Rarity not making a cape for Spike?

Rarity doesn't have a baby dragon mannequin.

I loved this episode, and even if mare do well was not fantastic, I liked it. This start to middle of season blows out of the water the start-middle of the first one, I yet need to watch an episode i dont really like, and some of them are incredible, best stuff of the whole series.

I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes, but they're still not as great as Bridle Gossip and Problems With Parasprites, eps 9 and 1- of the earlier season.

Cheerilee

Great episode.

so.... This episode is not going down well for me.

I just can't get past how terrible Rarity was to Spike at the start of this episode, and am pretty surprised the writers did it like that. Manipulating someone she knows has a crush on her into giving her something she wants just reeks of poor taste. I would have expected the writers to so something like...

After establishing Spikes gem, have spike overhear Rarity mention to Twilight the need for such a gem and then he gives it to her of his own free will, without her knowing anything about it beforehand.

Instead we got the loot whore, and it's really disappointing.
I think Rarity was nerding out over Spike's gem, but she still thought it was entirely his, and didn't want to take it from him (at the start I mean). It was only when he said he was going to eat it that she became uncomfortable, not because she herself wanted it, but because she didn't want to see it destroyed.

Spike saw how uncomfortable she was, so he asked questions and measured his own desire against hers, and then gave it to her because she obviously liked it even more than he did (which was already a lot). Her reaction (jaw dropped and blinking) suggests shock, not that her manipulation worked.

She recognized how hard that was for him to give away, and valued it more as a gift than it's own value (which was extremely high). You just don't get that kind of feeling when you take something from someone. It's impossible.

Show Stoppers has a problem in the sense that the song in it is supposed to be bad in-universe, but ends up being amazing.
It was supposed to be bad in our universe too. They recorded one song, and the producers said it was too good, it was supposed to be bad. So they recorded another version and tried to make it worse. The second version was approved as appropriately worse. I can only imagine how awesome the original was.

Another episode in which Rainbow saves the day, yet she still gets no recognition.
She got to laugh at Applejack/Twilight bondage. I'm satisfied.

People hate on Mare Do Well because their beloved character got to eat humble pie. Surprise.
I hate on that episode because my beloved characters turned into... well, you for a week (no offense).

Edit:
Dash is Fantastic in more ways than one.
I see what you did there.

I just rewatch Dragonshy and I noticed something do they have organized football in ponyville? You see footballs in a couple of other episodes including this past one and I saw Fluttershy wearing a football helmet with a logo on it:

http://mlp.wikia.com/index.php?titl...&image=Fluttershy_ready_to_get_the_dragon-png

They have rodeos, races, and bowling, so it would be interesting to see an EFL and other sports represented.

They are civilized, so of course they have football.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Holy hell! Kill that thing with the fire and fury of one thousand suns.

Top Bottom