• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

That first part completely threw me off, and I admit getting far too excited when Derpy was mentioned and spoke (I am sure my sister will love it!) but as for the plot I sort of figured it out as it came about.

I must say, loved the Big Mac tears the Lucy tribute, and overall a fun episode. Applejack being stubborn as all hell...but Pinkie freaking out was gold indeed! Cannot wait to see those gifs...and I await the art very eagerly.

Parfait

I liked Derpy and her entire scene, but I still wish her name was Ditzy Doo.

That said I didn't find her to be too much of an idiot. More clumsy. And oh god, her pout...

And in the back of your mind, you know is there's probably Youtubers furiously editing down Pinkie Pie's repetition of "kumquat", mixed with the scenes of her crossing her legs.

Definitely one of the best episodes of the season. It had everything:

Derpy lines
Weaponized Pinkie Pie
Wagon chase scene
Best reference
Ditching friends to die in the desert

It had it all.

I liked Derpy and her entire scene, but I still wish her name was Ditzy Doo.

That said I didn't find her to be too much of an idiot. More clumsy. And oh god, her pout...

I sort of imagine, especially with her voice now, to be like 'Ed' from "Ed, Edd, and Eddy"...clumsy and maybe not all there, but genuinely tries to help (well, first came to my mind as I just watched some episodes the other night). I shall wait and see if this turns out to be true...for now, I shall wait. She can be a background cameo character if need be, but I am sure they will use her again for something.

Oh and bets on how long Rarity would last alone with Pinkie...I would say no more than a day.

Finally, first Applejack episode since S1E4. Didn't think they would go all out and give Derpy a voice, but doing that and addressing her by name was cool. There were a lot of great character interactions in the episode as well, especially with Pinkie Pie. I think it's the best episode in a while.

See this is my problem with the Applejack episodes I have - it seems like she is forced to learn a lesson even though the plot makes it so that it isn't her fault. I mean she wouldn't feel that if people didn't force her to have high expectations.

I'm disappointed that they did the same thing again.
I guess that's the only way they can go since she's so perfect. 8D

Ikael

And so, the episode where Applejack will become a favourite that we all foreseen at the beggining of this season, materialises.

Awesomesaouce episode. Great balance between comedy insanity (Pinkie almost stole the ep) and heart warming-ness was pure gold.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
"Raritycatchme!"
"What?!"
Went by so fast I had to rewind to see if I didn't image that part.

One of my favorite moments of this season. Watched it 3 times before finishing the rest of the episode.

Twas an absolute gem of an episode. Pinkie stole every scene she was in.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Pinkie is a pro at being annoying. I lost it when she broke AJ with kumquats, cherries and cherrichangas.

Also, that E18 synopsis...
Chances of Smile Smile Smile reaching 100%!

e_i

Derpy is a dude?

Oh I forgot, this MLP, where all males are stupid.

Wait...they named him Derpy? Holy shit.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
iy6KI7HsllkzG.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Derpy called by name and fully voiced...not sure how to feel about this.

Edit: Best episode so far!

One of the best episodes of the season.
I loved derpy's scene and liked her voice.
This episode had lots of amazing Pinkie Pie moments.
I love Lucy tribute
The action scenes were great, and the ending amazing funny, best one since star wars ending.

I really enjoyed that one, all the main characters present with some entertaining interaction and a focus on Applejack for a change, Pinky was more entertaining here than in her episode last week.

LOVED this episode!

Derpy was great! It felt like she wasn't mentally handicapped, just ... a decent embodiment of what I think when I think "derp".

I didn't like the AJ parts though.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Amazing episode. One of the highlights of season 2, to be sure. Canon Derpy meets all of my expectations, too.

Amy Keating Rogers also wrote Applebuck Season, so she seems to be the resident Applejack character developer, so far.

lol as a weeaboo, I love reading about it the other way around (Japanese watching an American show)

halkun said:
Here's some 2ch reaction the the episode. Keep in mind. My translation is wonky at most at just terrible at least. Please don't put too much weight into it. I knocked it out in 45 minutes.

ダーピーさん喋っててマジでテンション上がったwwww
Derpy talking has really become a matter of contention lol.
---
しかも『ダーピー』がついに公認www今回は事件が多すぎる
It looks like this "Derpy" thing become too much so now it's official. lol
---
CMが気になった。
辰年でスパイク特集とかするってこと?
Minding the commercial...
Do you think spike might be a feature about the year of the dragon?
---
今までの話の中で一番衝撃的だったわw
When she talked, it was the most shocking thing ever. lol
---
4chanのストリーミング配信で見てたけど
ある意味端からびっくりしたわ
I was watching the stream from 4chan
It came right out of nowhere, It surprised me!
---
エクエストリアデイリーに早速記事できて、すごい数の書き込みが・・・w
皆さん相当衝撃受けているようでw
On Equestria Daily, the postcount jumped really quickly lol
It seems to have impacted everyone. lol
---
ダーピーって台詞で言ったのは初めてか?
What were Derpy's first lines?
---
ダーピーのシーンだけ上がってた
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUVF6yyQNc
I'll give you Derpy's scene.
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUVF6yyQNc
---
S1E4で劇物マフィンの時「muffin」って一言言っただけだけど
ここまで会話として成り立つまで喋るとは思わなかった
In Season 1 Episode 4, with the toxic muffins, they had her saying "muffin" all the time.
Here she was able to hold a whole conversation.
---
公式で言っているのは初めて……って非公式まとめwikiに書いてあった
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Roundup
マフィーン♪はどうだか審議中
---
It was originally her informal name, but now they have updated the wiki with the formal version
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Roundup
"Muffin♪" was just her deliberating.
---
アホの子ダーピーかわいいよダーピー
それまで実況遅かったのにCareful,Derpy!の瞬間伸びまくってワロタ
The dumb Derpy is the cute Derpy
The moment she became real to the fans was (when Rainbow Dash said) "Careful, Derpy!"
---
ダーピーのキャラはこういう方向でいくのかw
もしダーピーメイン回来ちゃったらまたポニービル崩壊しそうだ
ピンキー今回は通常運行だと思ったら、とある場面がすごい怖かった
やっぱり敵にまわしたくないなw 終わり際のレインボーかわいい
How is this going to effect Derpy's character direction? lol
Derpy with be the main attraction. Ponibiru is probably going to crash again.
The scene where Pinkie was just being Pinkie was pretty scary!
I knew the rivalry would never stop. At the end Rainbow was pretty cute.
---
トイレが具体的に出てきたのもさりげなく
あとは
Also when she casually came out of the toilet.
---
アースポニーの工業レベルはやや原始的。
それからピンキーは武器として使うことができる。
The Earth Pony industrial level is somewhat primitive
Makes sense that Pinkie can be used as a weapon.
---
後、アースポニー4発1人乗車の馬車に、ペガサス2発3人乗車で食い付ける辺り、
身体能力の差は著しいんだな。 主人公勢がチートなのかも。
Later there were 4 earth ponies drawing 1 pony in a carrage, and there were 2 Pegasus pulling three ponies in a wagon.
Even though there are differences in bodies, I think there was a "protagonist cheat" going on.
---
日本語訳こないかな
あれだけが頼みの綱だわ、自力翻訳→アップされた翻訳動画を見る
なんて時間ないわ・・・自力翻訳の時点でもう無理だぜー
How come there are not Japanese translations?
The only recourse is to look up the translations yourself → upload the movies so you can see them
It's imposable at this time without the translations themselves.
---
種馬四頭だてに豪華な馬車+AJと牝ペガサスに二頭立て粗末なリヤカー的馬車に牝ユニコーン二頭にポニーの姿をした何かだからな
What I figure about the coaches is that The 4 hose coach + AJ was one made for luxury, while the cart pulled by two female Pegasus with two female unicorns and two ponies was made for the poor
---
ダーピー愛されすぎワロタ
Derpy has all the fan love
---
おしっこ我慢してたピンキーと
おしっこしてたAJが衝撃的だった
Pinky had pee endurance.
It was a bit of a shock to see AJ go to the bathroom.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The first scene was the best this show has ever been. Derpy. <3

Too bad the premise was retarded. Pinkie Pie's antics made up for it. And Fluttershy is still as moé as ever.

Orcastar

One of the best episodes of the entire series so far. The plot was predictable, but everything else made up for it: lots of interaction between the mane 6, Pinkie being Pinkie, great comedy...

And Derpy. Wow, didn't see that one coming. I think they handled her well; she was clumsy and airheaded without being a complete moron. Now we just need an episode that shows her delivering mail.

This is amazing.

As always, late to the party. Aside from Pinkie and Derpy, I thought this episode was pretty ho-hum. It just felt like a retread of Applebuck Season (same writer even). I was kinda hoping we might finally have an end of all the "lol Applejack sucks" comments but this really didn't help at ALL. Hopefully next week's episode will.

Just a couple things.

Lyra and Bon Bon are seen together in the crowd at the beginning

They've referenced Spider-man, but the first thing I thought of when I heard Pinkie go on about Cerry-changas seemed to be a deliberate Deadpool reference.

I'm surprised to hear Derpy is voiced by Tabitha. I could've sworn it was Ashleigh! Damn! She's talented. Anyway, I can dig it. I think she carefully balanced "ditziness" without sounding brain dead. Kind of like a female, tomboyish Goofy minus the "Ahyuck". Kinda sad to see a vocal minority hate her though ESPECIALLY in a series that has Snails, which would seem like such an obvious "OMG retard mockery!" with the same qualifications. Yet no one really has.

I have to wonder, this is the first TV show to really use the term Derp, a term coined by Matt and Trey of South Park, and it's a kids show of all things.

Oh and that Discord video is great. Only wish it could be in crisp HD.

And I know videos are more of a Community thread thing, but DAMN this video is POWERFUL. And really well done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8DrWzAAcE

I'm surprised to hear Derpy is voiced by Tabitha. I could've sworn it was Ashleigh! Damn! She's talented. Anyway, I can dig it. I think she carefully balanced "ditziness" without sounding brain dead. Kind of like a female, tomboyish Goofy minus the "Ahyuck". Kinda sad to see a vocal minority hate her though ESPECIALLY in a series that has Snails, which would seem like such an obvious "OMG retard mockery!" with the same qualifications. Yet no one really has.

Rewatching it, I don't mind it as much. It just wasn't quite exactly what I had hoped for, but it's not something I'm about to fanrage over or anything. It's awesome they even did it to begin with, but at the same time, I hope this is the only major focus we get on Derpy for a while. I just like her better when she's sort of a subtle wink to the audience.

But it was still super amazing awesome and I can't believe they did it and omigoshomigoshomigosh!

Top Bottom