• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Tizoc

fw41g.png

Umm Rarity, I don't think RD's gonna feel disgusted from that...

CassSept

Hah, that was a great episode. The best one since Lesson Zero. And it reaffirms AJ being the worst pony.

The final scene was particularly funny.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The more episodes I watch, the more I question why Applejack is considered the element of honesty, and Rainbow Dash loyalty.

Even in this last episode, it just naturally seems like it'd be the other way around to me.

It's been that way the whole series, and many fans have noticed and commented on it.

Basically it's just the whole Elements of Harmony thing being completely ignored except for the 4 specific episodes where they appear.

A leftover of the initial plan for the series.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ibpJf0u816PGGL.gif

Nice StrongBad reference there~

No Snapshots or GIFs of Big Mac's Brony tears?

Link already found one, but I also wanted the classy waterworks:

i8ImoguacD0GX.gif

Are you surprised by his tears? Strong ponies also cry.

Strong ponies also... cry.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The more episodes I watch, the more I question why Applejack is considered the element of honesty, and Rainbow Dash loyalty.

Even in this last episode, it just naturally seems like it'd be the other way around to me.

Rainbow Dash is always Loyal. Going on and rescuing a friend instead of giving up the chase and going back for two ponies that can walk the 10 minutes back to town is not being disloyal.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Rainbow Dash is always Loyal. Going on and rescuing a friend instead of giving up the chase and going back for two ponies that can walk the 10 minutes back to town is not being disloyal.

... and assuming they didn't break their necks in the fall makes her... what exactly?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Rainbow Dash is always Loyal.
Eeehh? We're told as such in a couple of episodes, but her actual behavior throughout the majority of the series tells a different tale.

Who wanted to ditch Fluttershy on the way up the mountain in Dragonshy? Rainbow Dash.
Who's the only one that stayed behind to help the wimpering pony? Applejack.

And after all the back-and-forth drama in Ticket Master, Rainbow was more than willing to take the remaining Gala invitation, expressing her honest jubilation without a second thought. She only recanted due to peer pressure.

Even the quick quotes in this scene encapsulate the essence of RD ("She kind of is!") and AJ ("Well we cant just leave Rarity like this.") pretty well.

Rainbow is characterized as a lazy lone wolf that gets annoyed when others can't keep up with her RADICAL pace.
AJ's whole persona is based on dependability and unwavering familial bonds.

The couple of times the "Rainbow-is-soooo-loyal" card was played, it always came off as extremely forced imo.

Going on and rescuing a friend instead of giving up the chase and going back for two ponies that can walk the 10 minutes back to town is not being disloyal.
So after the chase ended just a few minutes later.... then what? And if it was so close, why did Rarity and PP have to take a rail cart back? Burning questions!

:lol YES! Too perfect.

Catalix

Yet somehow, they're still both geniuses.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Eeehh? We're told as such in a couple of episodes, but her actual behavior throughout the majority of the series tells a different tale.

Who wanted to ditch Fluttershy on the way up the mountain in Dragonshy? Rainbow Dash.
Who's the only one that stayed behind to help the wimpering pony? Applejack.

And after all the back-and-forth drama in Ticket Master, Rainbow was more than willing to take the remaining Gala invitation, expressing her honest jubilation without a second thought. She only recanted due to peer pressure.

Even the quick quotes in this scene encapsulate the essence of RD ("She kind of is!") and AJ ("Well we cant just leave Rarity like this.") pretty well.

Rainbow is characterized as a lazy lone wolf that gets annoyed when others can't keep up with her RADICAL pace.
AJ's whole persona is based on dependability and unwavering familial bonds.

The couple of times the "Rainbow-is-soooo-loyal" card was played, it always came off as extremely forced imo.

okay, but what does any of that have to do with loyalty?
being loyal does not mean patience
being loyal does not mean humbleness
bein loyal does not mean putting others wants ahead of your own
being loyal does mean leaving fluttershy behind when fluttershy does not want to go and is being forced through her feeling obligated to the group.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's pretty obvious both rarity and pinkie pie hurt their hind hooves in the crash and thus had to use the pump trolley to get back.

Psxphile

I think maybe the issue with Rainbow's loyalty is that she has trouble figuring out who to be loyal to. In Dragonshy she was fixated on the mission, and if that meant leaving behind the weak and helpless, it would be better off for everyone involved. Here she was demonstrating her loyalty to crown and country, but not to friendship (which is why she gets a bad score).

And again, in this newest episode she sticks to completing their objective rather than go back for the fallen and potentially lose Applejack. Trying to keep a promise made to the Apple family and Ponyville in general.

Hm... I got nothing. SHE'S A BAD FRIEND.

Uh, well... here's something else to think about, and I'm surprise they didn't go over it in the show: AJ didn't come back because she was ashamed of herself for not winning first place/the prize money for the town. Rainbow is upset with her for taking this stance and really lets AJ have it when the truth comes out... when not a few scenes earlier she was also fearful of going back to town emptyhoofed. Ashamed, even.

I just think Rainbow might have felt a little more sympathy for AJ's plight than she did, is all.

PBalfredo

Maybe Dash and Applejack have been wielding the elements of Honesty and Loyalty respectively this whole time. Twilight just associated them with the incorrect element. It's not like those things have labels.

It's been that way the whole series, and many fans have noticed and commented on it.

Basically it's just the whole Elements of Harmony thing being completely ignored except for the 4 specific episodes where they appear.

A leftover of the initial plan for the series.

I don't know, I think they do a pretty good job of integrating their elements into everyone else. Pinkie and Twi's are so intrinsic to their character they're not really worth commenting on. Half of Rarity's problems in say, Suited for Success and Sweet and Elite come from her generosity. Even AJ has a ton of trouble lying convincingly in Party of One. Dash is the only one that feels like her element isn't particularly well expressed.

Maybe Dash and Applejack have been wielding the elements of Honesty and Loyalty respectively this whole time. Twilight just associated them with the incorrect element. It's not like those things have labels.

The Discord episodes dispels any chance of that.

Another thing I guess trains don't have to be pulled which mean the train was either broken or ran out of fuel in the episode Over a Barrel,

Bakphoon

The Discord episodes dispels any chance of that.

Another thing I guess trains don't have to be pulled which mean the train was either broken or ran out of fuel in the episode Over a Barrel,

The ponies pulling the train was Lauren Faust's idea. So i guess they changed it after she was gone.

Catalix

okay, but what does any of that have to do with loyalty?
being loyal does not mean patience
being loyal does not mean humbleness
bein loyal does not mean putting others wants ahead of your own
being loyal does mean leaving fluttershy behind when fluttershy does not want to go and is being forced through her feeling obligated to the group.

I guess my point was that "loyalty" isn't a specific trait I would naturally assign to Dash, independent of being told that. I'm not saying she's entirely disloyal, just that "loyalty" doesn't define who she is. Excluding the season premiere Elements of Harmony episodes, I would say things like "brash" "egotistic" "thrill seeker" "brave" and... "honest to a fault".

But looking the word up, I see "faithfulness to commitments or obligations"? I can instantly say that's AJ in a nutshell, way more than RD.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I guess my point was that "loyalty" isn't a specific trait I would naturally assign to Dash, independent of being told that. I'm not saying she's entirely disloyal, just that "loyalty" doesn't define who she is. Excluding the season premiere Elements of Harmony episodes, I would say things like "brash" "egotistic" "thrill seeker" "brave" and... "honest to a fault".

But looking the word up, I see "faithfulness to commitments or obligations"? I can instantly say that's AJ in a nutshell, way more than RD.
the ponies are not exclusively defined by their element. all of the ponies are kind, loyal, honest, generous and according to Faust, magical.

I'm not even sure how you're measuring loyalty to find AJ as 'way more' loyal than dash.

Catalix

the ponies are not exclusively defined by their element. all of the ponies are kind, loyal, honest, generous and according to Faust, magical.

I'm not even sure how you're measuring loyalty to find AJ as 'way more' loyal than dash.

Never said anything about exclusivity. Of course they all exhibit these traits to certain degrees. The overlap is obvious.

No hard measurements either, just my personal perception from watching zany pony antics over an extended period of time.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Never said anything about exclusivity. Of course they all exhibit these traits to certain degrees. The overlap is obvious.

No hard measurements either, just my personal perception from watching zany pony antics over an extended period of time.

then the only pony whose element defines who they are is twilight, so why single out dash?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
AJ abandoned her family, and you're arguing about her loyalty?

She's very loyal that she didn't want to disappoint her folks.

Think of it as this: a character who is loyal to his master allows himself to be branded as a traitor because it is the only way he can save his master/serve his master much better

Catalix

then the only pony whose element defines who they are is twilight, so why single out dash?
I don't see it that way at all. Laughter, kindness, and generosity define their respective ponies perfectly. Throughout the series we get constant reminders (even entire episodes) that organically illustrate these specific traits. But with Rainbow (loyalty) and AJ (honesty), not so much. Just seems odd to me.

Once again, these traits are not exclusive to each pony, but they are quirks that the writers chose to focus on when crafting each characters' personalities.

And magic defines what Twilight mainly does, but it doesn't really highlight the essence of her personality. But I don't really have a problem with her being an ambiguous exception.

She's very loyal that she didn't want to disappoint her folks.

Think of it as this: a character who is loyal to his master allows himself to be branded as a traitor because it is the only way he can save his master/serve his master much better
In addition to that, AJ was still following through with her perceived responsibilities, sending money back to Ponyville. Her extreme embarrassment from losing the competition clouded her judgement, which just kept her from showing back up in-person. She was still loyal, though.

Cheerilee

Derpy was great. I like that she was just an unlucky walking disaster instead of horribly incompetent (maybe that too, but not ONLY that). But the voice was a little too close to sounding retarded for my liking.

They knew what they were getting into.

Not to mention if Rainbow and Fluttershy pulled the wagon out there, they're clearly within walking distance of the town...
Distance estimating is unreliable, since they don't need to show the boring parts of the trip, but it seems to me that Pinkie and Rarity's landing spot was WAY closer to the railroad crossing where Applejack stopped than the town they left behind. And Pinkie and Rarity were seen on train tracks.

I figure one of them had the great idea to move forward to meet up with the others instead of heading back to town. And then they found the railroad, and one of them had a great idea to follow the tracks. And then they found the handcart. Now they're totally lost.

Rarity could blame anyone, Pinkie, Applejack, herself, Twilight, Fluttershy, or Rainbow Dash, but she either heard what Rainbow Dash said, or she just knows RD would've been the one to suggest they keep going, or she knows that Rainbow Dash is probably her best hope for an aerial rescue that hasn't happened yet.

Japan said:
後、アースポニー4発1人乗車の馬車に、ペガサス2発3人乗車で食い付ける辺り、
身体能力の差は著しいんだな。 主人公勢がチートなのかも。
Later there were 4 earth ponies drawing 1 pony in a carrage, and there were 2 Pegasus pulling three ponies in a wagon.
Even though there are differences in bodies, I think there was a "protagonist cheat" going on.
Four big Earth ponies with big legs pulling a heavy luxury passenger wagon and one medium sized pony. I'm guessing they had significant pulling power and endurance, but not speed.

Two medium-light Pegasus ponies pulling a light cargo wagon loaded with three medium-size pony passengers and no safety system (Raritycatchme!). As long as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy weren't overloading their combined weight limit (doesn't matter if it's unbalanced and Fluttershy is weaker and can carry less than RD, so long as she can keep up the speed she can contribute and improve the overall speed), they could've been faster than Applejack's wagon. I don't expect Fluttershy to have endurance, and Rainbow Dash is strong, but I assume those Earth ponies would have outlasted her.

Also I should just note, I love these Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy team flying scenes. Like at the end of Secret of My Excess, Rainbow Dash jumps in to save Spike and Rarity, and she drags Fluttershy along too. Fluttershy stops being dragged along and pulls ahead of Rainbow Dash, and looks at RD with this "Oh, is this all right? I'm sorry" expression, at which point RD looks annoyed and kicks in the afterburners.

... and assuming they didn't break their necks in the fall makes her... what exactly?
I assumed from RD's matter-of-fact tone that she was 100% confident that Pinkie and Rarity had died in the crash.

blamite

RD/Fluttershy interactions are always fun. They don't seem to have that many scenes together, but when they do we get stuff like house sitting for a bear and the Find a Pet song.

PBalfredo

I think this last episode was the first time we really see Pinkie and Applejack interacting with each other, outside of being part of the group.

Edit: This and in Hearth Warming Eve, but here they're both fully being themselves.

NEED A REPLY NOW~! PLEASE HELP. MY WORKPLACE DISCUSSED MLP BRONIES AND NOW I NEED ONE (1) EPISODE TO CONVINCE THEM THIS IS A GOOD SHOW. WHAT DO I SHOW THEM?

They were joking about bronies and one of my coworkers jokes and points to me, and the other coworkers like "whaaaa" and I say it's a well written well animated show and he says "... for little girls" and my other coworkers like "well how about we watch an episode after lunch" and I'm "sure I gotta go pick a good one then" and then I went to the internet and made a forum post and I'm still typing that post and then I'm hitting the submit reply bu

I'd say Lesson Zero just to show them it's not quite what they think it is. I don't think the "just for girls" cynics would go for the "good" episodes like Dragonshy or Bridle Gossip. Either that or Party of One, but I think LZ would be better.

Top Bottom