• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feep said:
Dear Pony-GAF,

To show you how much I care, I've added a special, hidden item into my upcoming Xbox Live Indie Game, Sequence. The item relates to GAF.

And ponies.

When the game is released in a couple weeks, I'll be sure to post the secret code to access the item in this thread. So be sure to check it out. = D

Dude

DUDE

Is that a DDR/Puzzle Quest mashup? That wasn't on my radar before, but holy hell it looks cool. Is it playable with a dance pad and without one?

duckroll said:
Cool. Just watched ep20. I guess the season finale is going to be the Grand Galloping Gala?

That's the predominant speculation, but we're not sure.

Lauren Faust has been pretty cofrthcoming on her DA account. Someone should post, "Hey, are we getting to see the Grand Galloping Gala this season?" She'd probably answer truthfully.

If it is though, and if Luna is confirmed for season 2... no Luna at the gala? We're at a royal function and she's STILL not there?

duckroll

Episode 21 is the most... disturbing episode yet. I'm not sure any of the entire episode made any sense whatsoever. But okay. Lol.

Maybe Luna will be in the finale, and whatever happens in the finale results in her joining the main cast in season 2?

Neki

what is the appeal of the cmc, I don't see why people enjoy them so much, other characters who have had barely any character development deserve it more than the cmc. D:

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
duckroll said:
Episode 21 is the most... disturbing episode yet. I'm not sure any of the entire episode made any sense whatsoever. But okay. Lol.
I didn't like it much either, for reasons I already explained:

- Bad musical act (and not the "so bad it's good" from "Show Stoppers")
- Characters acting out of character (mainly Rainbow Dash)
- Lack of focus
- Rushed and nonsensical resolution

The best part of it were the scenes inside the train, and those with Dash and Pinkie.

duckroll said:
Yeah. Same guy that wrote "Feeling Pinkie Keen" aka the religion vs science episode. He's not very... what's the word... consistent? That's probably not the best way to describe it.

Ultimoo said:
what is the appeal of the cmc, I don't see why people enjoy them so much, other characters who have had barely any character development deserve it more than the cmc. D:
Apple Bloom is just plain cute and very much like her sister especially when getting on Scootaloo's case about chicken calling. "Scootaloo! Scoot Scootaloooooo!" The other two have their charms too. Like the way Sweetie Belle says "Dumb fabric!" and "I was wondering why it looked like mud." And how Scootaloo uses her wings for propulsion instead of flying. Also...

Hammer? Hammer. Hammer? Hammer. Hammer? ... Hammer.

That being said, I would not mind if they got a spin-off. Someone else mentioned it would be a win-win and it's true. Those who like them would know where to find them and those who don't would be happy that they're out of the way of the main cast. Apple Bloom can do what she wants though. She's going to be the new Princess of Equestria after all. :)

duckroll

Apple Bloom is cute, but her friends suck. The club itself also sucks. The entire concept behind the club isn't even very educational. It basically encourages those who are slow to develop physically to stick with each other, instead of actually encouraging them to build the confidence to socialize with their peers who developed faster than they did.

There is no shame in it, but they're making it out to be a big deal. The entire concept rubs me the wrong way, because their togetherness is founded upon sometime which could change at any time. What if one of them gets a Cutie Mark before the other two? Or what if two of them get it before the remaining one? It's stupid and childish (and yes, they are stupid and childish ponies), which is fine, but I don't know why the older ponies are encouraging it. It's not the right thing to do!

Episode 21 also looked expensive. A billion extra ponies, new species to design, new locations, an all-too-rare song, and overall a crummy payoff. Too bad.

Also twice now I've seen this thread not on the front page of the OT. We're slacking!

New conversation starter:

What are the odds that Hasbro has realized they've gone a bonafide crossover hit on their hands?

It might not be reflected in their toy sales, since they barely have any FiM branded merchandise on shelves, but surely one of their marketing department has realized how much more mindshare this is getting on blogs and twitter.

In a perfect world, would they be classy enough to make a non-crappy DS game, with Wayforward sprite art, and a throwback level with music like this?

Probably asking way too much.

Snaku

Banned
Koomaster said:
She's in rehab.

I wonder if she really is sorry for what she did. She only apologized and asked forgiveness after she lost her power. I have to think she'd relapse if given the chance.

duckroll said:
What if one of them gets a Cutie Mark before the other two? Or what if two of them get it before the remaining one?
You just gave A Party of One its new synopsis.

I really want to see this conflict. Twist got her mark and Apple Bloom totally wrote her off. Sure they partied together at Diamond Tiara's place for a bit but that was it.

What happens when the crusade ends?!

Snaku

Banned
meltingparappa said:
In a perfect world, would they be classy enough to make a non-crappy DS game, with Wayforward sprite art, and a throwback level with music like this?

I'm hoping for a 3DS title tbh. Now would be a perfect time for it too, as the market isn't flooded with hundreds of titles like the DS is. MLP wouldn't get lost in the shuffle if they can get it out by next Summer.

ZoddGutts

meltingparappa said:
Episode 21 also looked expensive. A billion extra ponies, new species to design, new locations, an all-too-rare song, and overall a crummy payoff. Too bad.

Also twice now I've seen this thread not on the front page of the OT. We're slacking!

What are the odds that Hasbro has realized they've gone a bonafide crossover hit on their hands?

It might not be reflected in their toy sales, since they barely have any FiM branded merchandise on shelves, but surely one of their marketing department has realized how much more mindshare this is getting on blogs and twitter.

They really need to get this series on DVD/Blu Ray.

duckroll

I dunno if I would really be interested in a traditional game to be honest. If it's just a well produced 2D sidescrolling action game, but with MLP characters and backgrounds... so what? That doesn't really interest me at all. On the other hand, if they got a good developer to make some sort of customization based free form adventure title, similar to Animal Crossing, but set in Ponyville, and you get to create your own pony to interact with the various characters, and do tasks day by day, it could be really appealing. If they do that though, hopefully it sticks with the 2D art direction of the show as well.

Snaku

Banned
duckroll said:
I dunno if I would really be interested in a traditional game to be honest. If it's just a well produced 2D sidescrolling action game, but with MLP characters and backgrounds... so what? That doesn't really interest me at all. On the other hand, if they got a good developer to make some sort of customization based free form adventure title, similar to Animal Crossing, but set in Ponyville, and you get to create your own pony to interact with the various characters, and do tasks day by day, it could be really appealing. If they do that though, hopefully it sticks with the 2D art direction of the show as well.

I wouldn't buy it if they didn't.

Snaku said:
I wouldn't buy it if they didn't.
In a world of licensed games, beggers can't be choosers.

Asking Hasbro to exercise the same care as the show and give the reigns to the gaming equivalent of Laurent Faust is thinking too much of their marketing department.

The show I work on has some tiny success in a tiny market, and they chose to leverage that into an iphone game (for very young children, inexplicably). A proper low-budget handheld game didn't even warrant real consideration, likely due either not being able to do that in-house, or the initial investment into contracting something like that out is astronomically higher than doing a webgame that directs back to their website.

Sure Hasbro produces Transformer games, but that is likely an entirely different office within the company handling that property.

I LOVE your idea though, duckroll. Maybe 15 years from now, a Tim Schafer of the future will do something similar.

TheExodu5 said:
Nostalgia is making those shows seem better than they are. I mean, really, Scooby Doo isn't a very good show at all. MLP is one of the best written and animated kids' cartoon that I have ever seen.

Animaniacs is also terrible. God I hated that show. Bugs Bunny is a better show in every way possible.

Says the guy with a Death Note avatar :p. But I guess it's just one of those "rules of the internet" No matter how good something is, there's ALWAYS going to be someone who hates it.

Anyhow, don't want to steer this offtopic (I just find it hard to fathom the mind of someone who thinks Animaniacs, the height of "Silver Age WB Animation", is terrible).

I have to wonder though, that job posting that confirmed Season 2 only said 24 episodes. Why not 26? My only guess is that there'll be two "two-parters" and they're counting them each as 1 episode?

There is no shame in it, but they're making it out to be a big deal. The entire concept rubs me the wrong way, because their togetherness is founded upon sometime which could change at any time. What if one of them gets a Cutie Mark before the other two? Or what if two of them get it before the remaining one? It's stupid and childish (and yes, they are stupid and childish ponies), which is fine, but I don't know why the older ponies are encouraging it. It's not the right thing to do!

It's funny because my sister noted the same thing the other day. I have the feeling that because "Friendship = Magic" they'll defy odds and get the cutie marks all at once. Of course I can totally see an episode where they DO have an episode with one or two of them getting a cutie mark and the other/s being left out with a moral encompassing change and continued friendship.

@blue_gecko Such a shame. At least it doesn't sound as bad as the SRK reaction. Topic was closed, NeoGaf was mentioned and the user was banned. It's like coming out as gay circa 10-20 years ago (hell, I've seen comments of bronies being called derogatory names associated with homosexuals). There's this set standard in people's mind of what men can and cannot watch, eat, read, whatever.

Okay, I need more avatar-making help, Bronies.

I am using GIMP. And I select the frames I want to capture and I size it accordingly. But its always smushed or really tiny. I notice with the Pony avatars its almost like its been zoomed in (and enhanced!). Is there a step I am missing?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Teh Hamburglar said:

I am using GIMP. And I select the frames I want to capture and I size it accordingly. But its always smushed or really tiny. I notice with the Pony avatars its almost like its been zoomed in (and enhanced!). Is there a step I am missing?
are you using set canvas to selection or .gifing the entire tv frame?

Choppasmith said:
I have to wonder though, that job posting that confirmed Season 2 only said 24 episodes. Why not 26? My only guess is that there'll be two "two-parters" and they're counting them each as 1 episode?
I believe this is because episode 1 and 2 of this season are considered the pilot for the series. So it's actually something like this:

Pilot (2 episodes)
Season 1 (24 episodes)
Season 2 (24 episodes)

That makes the most logical sense to me but I admittedly don't really know too much about how shows actually work.

Pandaman said:
are you using set canvas to selection or .gifing the entire tv frame?

I guess I am .gifing the entire frame. I extract the range I want then I go to "Frames to Image". Guess I need to do the former?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Teh Hamburglar said:

Before resizing, select the part of the frame you want to avatarize. Make sure the selection's proportions are 3:4, to match the optimum avatar size aspect ratio. Choose Image->Set Canvas to Selection. Then, resize the image to 90x120.

Confused101 said:
That makes the most logical sense to me but I admittedly don't really know too much about how shows actually work.
A network will usually commission 24-26 episodes, depending on what time of year it'll air (some normal shows being pre-empted by holiday programming).

It is weird and full of nonsense, compounded further by a third season will typically have only 13 episodes, as once they hit 65 then they can sell it into syndication (though god knows how 'The Hub' handles its shows, particularly internationally) to air on a weekday basis for 13 weeks.

But 26 (first season WITH pilot)+ 24 (second season)+ 13 (a short third season regardless if its picked up for a fourth season with 11 or 13 more episodes) = 63, or two less than 65. MAYBE season 2 would include two two-parters that could be split and sold as 26 30-minute shows.

So basically, I don't know either.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:

I think they are pretty oblivious to this phenomenon. As far as I can see, mainstream awareness of this show is around zero outside of some Internet communities. I'm not in the USA, and the show doesn't air in my country (yet), but a little Google Fu gives you a good picture of this show's popularity, and that picture is not a very good one. Outside of probably a few hundreds or (optimistically) thousands of nerds, people just don't know or talk about it. Far too little to drive any kind of serious franchise branching.

Of course, word of mouth will continue to be crucial to spread the awareness, but with season one coming to a close and a 6 month hiatus on the horizon, I just don't see it becoming much more than it is right now.

But I have been known to make mistakes. From time to time.

Myke Greywolf said:
I think they are pretty oblivious to this phenomenon. As far as I can see, mainstrean awareness of this show is around zero outside of some Internet communities.
The closest I can compare it to is in the US, at one point you could waltz into a "Hot Topic" (a terrible mall novelty store) and buy an adult-sized Spongebob t-shirt. Obviously, that is an absolutely minuscule source of revenue in the Spongebob empire, but I'm sure there is a savvy marketer somewhere banging their head wondering if Hasbro can leverage the internet popularity into SOMETHING. I mean, why go with Lauren Faust to begin with, if they really wanted to sell the same exact toy molds to the same demographic.

On the other hand, internet tastes are notoriously fickle and hard to capitalize on. See: Joss Whedon's entire career.

Dai101

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
I think they are pretty oblivious to this phenomenon. As far as I can see, mainstrean awareness of this show is around zero outside of some Internet communities. I'm not in the USA, and the show doesn't air in my country (yet), but a little Google Fu gives you a good picture of this show's popularity, and that picture is not a very good one. Outside of probably a few hundreds or (optimistically) thousands of nerds, people just don't know or talk about it. Far too little to drive any kind of serious franchise branching.

Of course, word of mouth will continue to be crucial to spread the awareness, but with season one coming to a close and a 6 month hiatus on the horizon, I just don't see it becoming much more than it is right now.

But I have been known to make mistakes. From time to time.

Here in Mexico i expect a LARGE fanbase once (if ever i mean) it hits cable TV, i can'teven image how much it will be one it hits local TV

Neki

CassSept said:
I'm watching ponies having a slumber party... and I enjoy it.

What have I become? A brony? Damn yooouuu pooonyyyy-gaaaaaaf.

reEgW.gif

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:
I mean, why go with Lauren Faust to begin with, if they really wanted to sell the same exact toy molds to the same demographic.
She was a MLP fan to begin with. The show character designs were based on her fan art. I wouldn't be surprised if the initiative for this reboot was actually hers.

meltingparappa said:

Myself, I'm worried they'll find the love, think the 4channers are a threat the brand image of My Little Pony, and put the kibosh on the operation. The show's mostly about marketing, after all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Myke Greywolf said:
ZealousD 105

I don't know if I should feel good or bad about this.

Well I feel bad, considering I'm suppose to be the sane one, here.

Choppasmith said:
Says the guy with a Death Note avatar :p

Don't make me hurt you.

Amibguous Cad said:
Myself, I'm worried they'll find the love, think the 4channers are a threat the brand image of My Little Pony, and put the kibosh on the operation. The show's mostly about marketing, after all.
4chan receiving and mocking a cease and desist order would certainly put a damper on the fanart community. Part of me wants to believe they're hip enough to know it ultimately helps spread awareness, but you'd probably make the same assumption about Warner Brothers and Harry Potter before they started sending letters to every fansite in existence.

Why are you talking about 4chan? I don't think the creators care that there are communities like that. In fact, Lauren seems to love it and comments on fan art, and the supervising exec or whoever it was even did a short Q&A on ponychan.

Why would they change their tune so suddenly?

Mechanical Snowman said:
Why are you talking about 4chan? Why would they change their tune so suddenly?
It's not Lauren and the animation staff that is a concern, but Herbert Harringford Hasbroton the Third, great-grandson of the founder of Hasbro, suddenly catching wind of some fans using intellectual property of his company, and sending an angry memo to the legal team to earn their pay.

It is great that this hasn't been an issue yet, but you can certainly see it happening on a long enough timeline, particularly because a close comparison is Strawberry Shortcake and how American Greetings sent Penny Arcade (of all places) a threatening letter over what was clearly a parody a few years back.

Ah, I suppose that could be a problem in the future but I really doubt it. Hasbro seem cool enough so far that they haven't issued copyright claims to even YouTube, and I think the target demographic is far enough away from this alternate demographic (us) to cause Hasbro any concern.

It's not like the children that the merchandise is aimed at even know that there are 20+ year old guys on the internet who are making pony macros and dubbing Twilight's voice with curse words and sexually explicit lines.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think it will stay like this; a glorious blissful state where the fandom are left to their own devices without any intervention from Lord Hasbro.

meltingparappa said:
It's not Lauren and the animation staff that is a concern, but Herbert Harringford Hasbroton the Third, great-grandson of the founder of Hasbro, suddenly catching wind of some fans using intellectual property of his company, and sending an angry memo to the legal team to earn their pay.

It is great that this hasn't been an issue yet, but you can certainly see it happening on a long enough timeline, particularly because a close comparison is Strawberry Shortcake and how American Greetings sent Penny Arcade (of all places) a threatening letter over what was clearly a parody a few years back.

I'm not so much worried about a C&D letter so much as Hasbro thinking that the attention the show has received is harming the brand and canceling it. Kinda like how the Esurance girl commercials were discontinued in part because of the unsavory attention she got on the internet/

Koomaster

G-Fex said:
I haven't heard such a lulling hypnotic song since Orbital's Halcyon and on and on.

I watched ep 13 today with Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack competing.

Favorite part was.

jEHUP.jpg

P.S. I didn't realize I posted so much here.
That's it! Rainbow Dash is my favorite. Can't stop laughing at this pic.

Amibguous Cad said:
I'm not so much worried about a C&D letter so much as Hasbro thinking that the attention the show has received is harming the brand and canceling it.
There is a pretty huge discrepancy on what an "Erin esurance" google image search comes up with and what a "friendship is magic" search reveals. The fandom is pretty good (by internet standards) at self-policing that as well, other than the inevitable lesbian fan-shipping that occurs with an all-female cast.

Plus, Erin as a corporate mascot realllllllllllllly had nothing to do with selling insurance, and was getting kind of long in the tooth by the time she was phased out.

Also this is amazing.

4492870740_26a3b1cab5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom